The Nursery

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2019

A house that sat empty for fifty years as its dead owner instructed. A locked room with no key. A single father with eight-year-old twin girls. A nursery from long, long ago that no child ever played in. There are eerie things going on at The Arbors in St. Francisville, Louisiana. Architect Jordan Blanchard is joined by his friend Callie and Landry Drake to learn the secrets of a domineering matriarch whose two husbands died in bizarre ways. They explore the house as someone watches from a hidden place high above. The Nursery, the third book in the series, will keep you up late at night wondering what’s behind the next door, what lies beyond the mirror and who hides and waits at The Arbors.

This is the third book in the series and I wasn’t aware of that when I started this but it did not hamper me one bit in reading this one. The author gives you little bits on the background as you go along so it was very easy to pick up on.
This is not your typical haunted house story. There is a nice ghost and malevolent ghost, hidden bodies, a child’s grave where one did not belong, and travels through a mirror to other dimensions. And that doesn’t even touch the real-life evil that’s stalking the family’s every move. This is a different type of ghost story.
I love the location settings and the whole premise behind this series of paranormal interweaved with the characters lives.
I want to say so much more but I don’t want to give anything away. This book has so much going for it and I am definitely getting the previous books and following this author. This book had me right from the start and I hope there are more to come in this series.
I really enjoyed this book. Great page turner which kept me guessing until the very end. Atmospheric and tense in places.
A great gohst story to chill your bones.  What happens when you buy a house that has sat unlived in for 50 years at the request of the owner.  The nursery is a haunting tale of ghosts, murder and love.  Figure out who is behind everything?  I bet you are wrong.
Creepy, atmospheric and definitely lost a little sleep! Good plot, decent characters.  Really enjoyed it and hope to read more!
"A house that sat empty for fifty years as its dead owner instructed. A locked room with no key. A single father with eight-year-old twin girls. A dusty, dank nursery from long ago that no child ever played in."

The Nursery is actually third in the Bayou Haunting series. It's probably best I didn't know this when I requested it as it would have put me off and I really enjoyed it. If you've read any of my other reviews you'll know I love me a haunted house story. The style the book was written was different but I liked it. It drew me in and I have to admit I found it hard to put down. When widower Jordan Blanchard sees a too good to be true opportunity in a sprawling house that would home both his business and his twin daughters, he can't help but jump at the chance to buy it. There were some quirky requests left by the previous owner but nothing too concerning, so he thinks. Even when the girls find the key to the nursery that had been missing, he is not too concerned if not intrigued by the mystery. Soon, it becomes clear that they are not alone in the house when a tragedy occurs. There is something in the house that coverts the thing Jordan holds most dear. There is also another danger lurking in the shadows.

I loved the descriptions in the book of the house and the back story of the haunting. I was intrigued by the ghost hunter character, Landry and Callie (who is the main character in the first book).

Jordan could be both a likable and rather annoying character. As a father he was good but he has some monumental temper tantrums. Putting that aside it says something that as soon as I'd finished the book, I downloaded the first book of the series, as I enjoyed it so much.

4/5...Spooktacular mystery...just my cup of tea.

Thank you to NetGalley for this e-arc copy for an honest review.
The Nursery by Bill Thompson is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. I had difficulty getting it to download so I am thankful for KU!
This is the third book in the series and I think I would have liked it better, if that was possible, if I had read the others first. This book mentions things that must have happened in previous books but it didn't slow down the plot at all.
This is about a man that buys an old mansion that has sat empty for 50 years before he gets it. He is a widow with twin daughters. The daughters are visited by an old women in black that speaks mind-to-mind with the girls. Wants the girls to call her Mama, and to go where there real mother is.
A friend of his has a bed and breakfast that has a ghost that is helpful. A pair of famous ghost hunters are staying there at the time when things get really crazy!
This has lots of suspense, twists, turns, emotions, well developed characters, and great plot development too! I am a bit mad at the author for ripping my heart out near the end of the book! Unfair!!! I had to use my MY to get the first two books now to get caught up. Looks like I found another author to follow! Great job!

There are eerie things going on at The Arbors in St. Francisville, Louisiana. Architect Bart Blanchard is joined by his friend Callie Pilantro (“Callie – The Bayou Hauntings 1”) and Landry Drake (“Forgotten Men – The Bayou Hauntings 2”) to learn the secrets of a domineering matriarch whose two husbands died in bizarre manners. As they discover more secrets in the house, someone watches from a hidden room at the very top of the huge old mansion.

“The Nursery” will keep you up late at night wondering what’s behind the next door, what lies beyond a mysterious mirror and who waits to kill one of the people at The Arbor." This definitely kept me up all night because I couldn't put it down! I felt like I couldn't read fast enough. It was just the spooky mystery thriller that I've been waiting for.

Thanks to #NetGalley for the ARC of #TheNursery
Pub Date: 01 Dec 2018
This was a creepy and eerie read. Have two daughter this was even more unsettling to read a book about children being haunted by a ghost that appears to harm those that do thing against her wishes. The plot of the book is well thought out and I liked how we learn the background of the ghost. However, the writing was disjointed at times. The story would have an abrupt turn like the ending, (which was very abrupt). I think that Mark could have been eliminated from the book. I liked the beginning and middle but the ending was too abrupt after waiting for so many days to see about the girls.

All in all, this is a memorable book and while it has it flaws I did like it while enough to keep the writing a 3.

I would recommend this for those that like a little paranormal with their thrillers.
I've now read Book 2 and Book 3 of Bill Thompson's fantastic Bayou Hauntings Series (THE FORGOTTEN MEN, and THE NURSERY). I adore this series and deem them re-readers. (I'll be reading Book 1, CALLIE, soonest). It's wonderful to read them in order, but each can be read as a stand-alone if need be, because the characters carry over and Mr. Thompson provides enough backstory to carry on with. He also provides wonderful historical and cultural details, and his character treatments are superbs. The reader quickly becomes involved with the characters (even the "villains") and their psychology and behaviour are true to life and realistic.

Now, as for the Horror: I love it! So implacable, which is my go-to criterion for good horror. Here it is excellent. THE NURSERY stars a woman who although long dead (five decades) is still going strong, and is a very powerful and controlling spirit, facing up against a loving widowed single father and his eight-year-old twin daughters, whom the ghost covets. Characters from Books 1 and 2 also are part of this ongoing story. THE NURSERY is a thrill to read (and terrifying too!).
I love a good ghost story thank you net galley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read this book. First one I read by this author
Thank you NetGalley and Smith Publishing for giving me the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.
I loved the cover and the blurb of this book because the are what caught my attention from the start.
I loved hearing the story about how the grand house stood empty for 50 years after the widow Beaumonts death. She made arrangements for the manor to be kept up providing that the nursery was not to be opened for any reason.
That is until the new owner and his twin daughters moved in. That is when things began to happen.
You think you know what is going to happen but don't get to cocky because this book has more twists than a mega roller coaster.
This book has a lot going on.
Old houses with a past and secrets too difficult to bear.
When last owner doesn't want to leave, and makes arrangements to keep the house from selling until fifty years of her death, and a special condition to not disturb a room that is a mystery for the new owner and his twins. Strange things start to happen and the world of the dead collides with the living.
Creepy and scary from the start.
Definitely recommend it.
Let me start off by saying that I love the cover. It is what first drew me to the book. That’s also one of the few fantastic things about The Nursery. If you have read “haunted house” stories before, you will find the plot very familiar. Person buys house, disobeys the “rules”, and makes the ghost angry.

In the case of The Nursery, that person was Jordan Blanchard (I have no idea why the description says Bart Blanchard), and the house is an old plantation whose former owner stipulated that the house sit vacant for fifty years after her death and that one door in the house was to remain “undisturbed.”

Can you guess what happened next? After moving into the house with his twin daughters and setting up his office, the girl’s are shown where the key is by the ghost who has been waiting for them. Long story short, they open the door, and find, you guessed it, a nursery.

There are deaths, good ghosts, bad ghosts, a ghost hunter, old employees who kept the former owners secrets, and a best friend. Each chapter read like Thompson was following a scripted outline that had hints of Poltergeist 2, Mama, and even a little The Others in it.

Unfortunately, the writing style and predictability of the story’s progression ruined the book for me. It’s a good quick read if you like stories that are more “case file” for the paranormal investigator.

Thank you NetGalley and Smith Publicity for the opportunity to read an advance reader copy.
I was looking forward to a good old-fashioned ghost story.

I didn't get it.  I wanted to like this story soo much. Instead I got simplistic writing, unevolved characters and a story that was told to me instead of shown to me.  So many parts were told to me instead of actually shown to me.  I heard about conversations. I heard about events.  I saw a few things that were only explained by telling me about things that happened.  So disappointing.
A house that sat empty for fifty years as its dead owner instructed. A locked room with no key. A single father with eight-year-old twin girls. A nursery from long, long ago that no child ever played in.There are eerie things going on at The Arbors in St. Francisville, Louisiana. Architect Jordan Blanchard is joined by his friend Callie Pilantro (“Callie – The Bayou Hauntings 1”) and Landry Drake (“Forgotten Men – The Bayou Hauntings 2”) to learn the secrets of a domineering matriarch whose two husbands died in bizarre ways. They explore the house as someone watches from a hidden place high above. The Nursery, the third book in the series, will keep you up late at night wondering what’s behind the next door, what lies beyond the mirror and who hides and waits at The Arbors.
This is my first Bill Thompson book and I will be getting the other two from this series.  This is a great story. It has an unusual premise which appealed to me when I read the “blurb” for it. The story moved right along with twists that I did not expect. I liked it and, for the most part, I liked the characters. A good book. Very suspenseful with enough paranormal to keep you on edge as to what the ghost or spirits are going to do with the living. I had hoped for a different ending regarding the female ghost, but it is still a great story.
The Nursery had me hooked from page one. This is a story that will chill you and give you vibes from the movie Mama if you had ever seen it. I enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.
The Nursery by author Bill Thompson is an eerie read that sends chills throughout your body while reading. Definitely a horror story worth reading!
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of The Nursery in exchange for an honest review.
This was the first book I've read by Bill Thompson and my first in the Bayou Hauntings series. The premise of the book is that an old Louisiana mansion has sat empty for the past 50 years, unavailable to the public and can only be purchased with the caveat that one of the rooms in the house, which is locked, is to remain undisturbed. Architect, Jordan Blanchard and his 2 young twin daughters move in and find that they almost can't bear not knowing what is behind the locked door. What happens next is beyond anyone's belief. As paranormal investigator Landry begins to learn more about the mansion known as The Arbors, will he be able to save Jordan and the twins? Can he solve the 50 year old mystery of what happened to the owner and why the room has been locked all this time?

I enjoyed reading this book. The pace was fast and I was surprised several times by the twists. I liked the paranormal aspects of this book and found it to be not so farfetched but enough for the willing suspension of disbelief. I would have liked to have known more back story to Callie, but this is because I didn't know this book was part of a series. I really liked that the focus of the story was on multiple characters. For example, Landry's story was the focus for several chapters, Jordan's story was the focus and so on.  I would have enjoyed more of this historical back story, but liked the part that did focus on the Arbors previous owner.
Overall I recommend this book for readers who like paranormal stories, old southern homes, and secret rooms and mysteries.

Thank you to NetGalley for an advance copy of this book. This review is my own opinion.
3 and 1 / 2 stars

Architect Bart Blanchard is furious when Landry Drake shows up at his palatial pre-Civil War mansion.  He knows that Landry has a very popular television show about hauntings in the old mansions of the South. Being a single dad with two young daughters to protect, he wants nothing to do with Landry, and especially his show. In spite of Landry’s assurances that he won’t use the house, Landry throws him out.

The Arbors mansion came with some odd provisos when Blanchard bought it. No one was allowed to live in it for fifty years following the previous owner Olivia Beaumont’s death and there is a locked room (with no key), that is not to be opened.

Of course Blanchard can’t resist opening to door. It is a nursery. Then his daughters are keeping secrets, and then they go missing. Blanchard is beside himself.

He decides to team up with Landry and Landry and Blanchard’s friend Carrie to investigate. Perhaps something odd is going on.

Indeed, something very odd is going on. A malevolent ghost who wants to kill, secret rooms and mysterious historical deaths are just some of the strange things happening.

This is a great story. It has an unusual premise which appealed to me when I read the “blurb” for it. The story moved right along with twists that I did not expect. I liked it and, for the most part, I liked the characters. That is always important to me – having someone in a book to whom I can relate. This is my first Bill Thompson book and I immediately went to Amazon to look at his other books.

I want to thank NetGalley and Ascendente Books for forwarding to me a copy of this good little book for me to read, enjoy and review.
I enjoyed this book.  A house that sat vacant for 50 years, a new owner, and a locked room that can be changed in any way.  Twin girls who make friends with a bad ghost but another house has a nice ghost who wants to help.. It also has a mirror to another dimension and hidden bodies where no bodies should be.  and of course, an old abandoned grave yard.  All this adds up to a great story

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for an unbiased review