The Nursery

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2019

Another 5 star book by Bill Thompson! I absolutely loved it. A man and his twin girls buys a house that is not only cheap but it wasn’t allowed to be sold for 50 years after the owners death with one provision don’t open up the locked door or make any changes to it at all. The girls hears a voice that tells them where the key is for the door and they go to their dad. Then comes the adventure with Landry, the tv ghost adventurer and others from the previous books. Can’t wait for the next one!
Thankyou to NetGalley,  Ascendente Books and the author,  Bill Thompson,  for the opportunity to read a digital copy of The Nursery in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.

Well, it looks like I need to binge read Mr Thompson's books, especially the other 2 books in the Haunted Bayou series.  Trust me, that is something I am eagerly looking forward to.

I loved reading this book.  The storyline was well thought out and written with intriguing characters.  The setting was well drawn  and captivating.  There were certainly plenty of chills to keep you glued to your chair. I could not finish this book fast enough. Was well worth the sleep deprivation.  4.5 stars.

Well worth a read.
I haven’t picked up anything by this author, Bill Thompson before I decided to read this novel, THE NURSERY. I selected this because I liked the interesting premise however I wasn’t initially aware that it was the third in a series when I originally chose it.

A house has sat empty for fifty years as its dead owner requested. There is a locked room with no key and a single father with eight-year-old twin girls. A dusty, dank nursery from long ago that no child ever played in.

There are eerie things going on at The Arbors in St. Francisville, Louisiana. Architect Bart Blanchard is joined by his friend, Callie Pilantro and paranormal investigator, Landry Drake, to learn the secrets of a domineering matriarch whose two husbands died in bizarre ways. As they discover more secrets in the house, someone is watching from a hidden room at the very top of the huge old mansion.

The intriguing story-line totally captured my attention from the start as I found myself transported into The Arbors. I was totally absorbed all the way through, until the fulfilling conclusion.

The author’s writing style was very appealing, brilliantly encapsulating the core of the scenes that I was visualising whilst reading. Bill Thompson’s special way with the prose made this complex and enthralling horror story very unique to me. Overall, THE NURSERY is a very worthwhile read with loads of scary moments and plenty of atmosphere. Don’t read it in the dark, on your own!

Thanks to NetGalley, Ascendente Books and the author, Bill Thompson, for my complimentary copy of The Nursery. My honest review is entirely voluntary.
Man oh man! This book was lit. I enjoyed it so much. I’m a scaredy-cat too so now I have to go to sleep with my tv on or I’m going to be thinking about Olivia or Anne-Marie. This book was a trip. I mean there was so much. You can kind of see the things fall into place early on but the story telling just makes you want to keep reading it anyways. I enjoyed every bit of it. I did not see the end coming. I highly recommend this book.
I wish I could say I loved this book but I couldn't get into the storyline or the characters at all. I have tried to complete this book many times over the months but just can't get through the entire book.
Do you love a scary story? Well then, you are going to LOVE this book! Don't read this one with the lights off...

Jordan found the Arbors home one that could not be passed up. Fabulous older home, with an even better price tag. He is a little hesitant when he first sees the amount, only because there is no way that the house could go for that price. When they move in, there are very few restrictions on this historic home, but Jordan is about to discover the consequences of messing with things that are best meant to be left alone.

Discover the horror that awaits in this idyllic home in The Nursery.

Ya'll, no lie - I could NOT put this book down! I ended up stopping work this afternoon just to finish reading! I was hooked from the start and this book did not disappoint. Get ready for a fabulous adventure, and a night of sleeping with the lights on!
Bill Thompson has taken tried and true horror setting and given it new life in this story of a man and his two daughters.  The Nursery has all of the elements of a horror story that you should not read just before bed and the added characters of a movie crew that researches ghost sightings.  Add the two together and it's a race to the end of the book to see what's going to happen.  Bill Thompson ties in the characters from his other series, a feat that gives us hope of more to come.
This book was third in a series.  I thought it looked interesting, but I have not read the other books. I was lucky this series the books are easy to jump into when not read in the correct order.  The book was a little creepy for me which I love.  But it did refer to things that must have happened in the other books.  I didn't enjoy the characters as much as I thought I would but overall the book was ok for me. I was just hoping for a little more from this book. I was looking for more. But I do love books about haunted houses. *This book was given to me for free at my request from NetGalley and I provided this voluntary review. *
Creepy, well written and amazing!

After a month long reading funk, I decided to try and start of going back with books I don't read as much. I'm a very Fantasy girl. So with The Sculptor and The Nursery in my TBR lists, both in the Thriller and Horror theme, something I enjoy but don't read as much I decided to give it a go!
Starting light, I know.

And wow did this book hook me in! Bill Thompson really did set in a creepy house, and creepy ambiance with this book! Which I just found it the 3 one, so of course now I am really wanting to go and find the first two to just understand even more of the world Thompson is building up within this series and characters!
I received this from the publisher via NetGalley.

This was something I just knew I had to read when I came across it. This book had has the chills I thought It would. An abandoned room. No key! Come on... This speaks of chills. It was a page turner for me. I would say, don't let them younger ones read it, if you think your child suffers from nightmares. This might get the imagination going. But I do however, think it is a good book to read.
Look no further for your next ghost story! The Nursery is the third book in the haunted bayou series, which includes Callie and Forgotten Men.

First, you have a single father with adorable twin daughters. The family moves to The Arbors, a beautifully restored mansion, once owned by an eccentric lady with terrible luck in husbands. There, the fun begins!

Who's killing people; not to mention causing accidents and other strange events? Is it the escaped sociopath, or could a ghost possibly do such things?

This ghost story will keep you turning pages long after dark. I highly recommend this title for lovers of cozy mysteries, and anyone who enjoys tales of bayou hauntings.

In the interest of full disclosure. I received a free digital copy of this title toreview from Net Galley.
I acquired this book for free in exchange for a review via NetGalley and Ascendente Books, which is part of Smith Publicity.

The Nursery is the third instalment of Bill Thompson’s Bayou Hauntings series about two reporters, Callie Pilantro and Landry Drake, as they explore alleged haunted houses for their TV show.

The Nursery is about a house which has been empty for 50 years, until Jordan Blanchard moved in with his twin daughters. The girls are delighted to find the house equipped with a nursery full of toys and games. It was as if the house was waiting for them to arrive. However, Jordan realises there may be something else – something sinister - waiting for them in the house too.

I like the idea of a haunted nursery full of old toys and creepy dolls with unsettling, glazed stares  had hoped The Nursery would be a dark and Gothic haunted house story. Unfortunately, there were limited descriptions of the house itself, as the book jumps straight into the story. I think this was a missed opportunity for some wonderfully vivid, Gothic descriptions.

The most puzzling part of The Nursery is the depiction of ghosts themselves. Jordan’s daughters encounter the ghost of a woman who desperately wanted to become a mother, but was unable to before she died. Initially, I thought this was going to be terrifying, expecting the ghost to gradually take control of the girls and claim them as her own. However, to the reader, the ghost is presented in quite a friendly way; she talks to the girls cheerfully – who fondly call her “Cherry” - and plays games with them.

It would be much scarier if the reader was never introduced to “Cherry” and merely observed the girls playing, talking, or laughing with thin air.  This means the reader cannot fully sympathise with Jordan – who cannot see “Cherry” and fears he is going crazy. This makes it seem as if everyone, including the reader, are sharing a private joke at Jordan’s expense.

Having said that, the tension does increase once it becomes clear that there is not only spiritual activity in the house but human criminal activity.

Overall, The Nursery isn’t really what I expected; I had hoped it would be a scary ghost story. Unfortunately, it is more similar in genre to a supernatural or crime thriller with elements of the ghostly added in.
The Nursery was a good creepy book. This was the third in the series and even though I didn't read the others it was easy to follow along. I will be reading the other two books since I enjoyed this one.
This book may have started a bit slow, but it ended with my mind blown! It was a twist a minute, deep and dark, and had me completely enthralled. I almost gave up, but I’m so very happy that I didn’t! Stephen King always said that a book is like a pump, you have to prime it to get anything back. He is definitely right, and rarely more so than with this book. Stick with it, you won’t be disappointed!
I was immediately drawn to this book just by the front cover. It looked spooky, eerie, and right up my alley! This was book 3 of the "Bayou Haunting Series". I have never read books 1 or 2 but felt that I didn't need to in order to start this book. I was captivated immediately by the first few lines; I knew I was walking into a twisting thriller and I was not getting out. If you love a good scare, this book is perfect!
I had great expectations of this book but unfortunately it didn't live up to them. I haven't read the other books in the series so maybe that was the problem.
It was a good story but I didn't experience the suspense or eerie atmosphere I expected. I found it read like an article in a magazine. So unfortunately it wasn't for me. Other readers might enjoy the style of writing better.
I had trouble getting through this book honestly, I found so many typos and errors that it made me question a lot of things. Also, I didn't realize that it is part of a series so that was an issue for me as well. It was an over all thrilling read and I will likely read more of this author in the near future. I rate it 2 out of 5 stars because of all the errors.
When I want some escapism, I want a good ghost story, and that is just what you will find in this book. I liked it from the beginning and the story just kept getting more interesting as I got further into the book.

There were a few moments when I wondered about the sanity of the characters, especially the father who owned the main house in the book, because it felt a little like he was ignoring all of the obvious signs that something was wrong in his environment, but then, I suppose this is an accurate portrayal of Skepticism. I wouldn't have believed the kinds of things that were happening in that house if they were happening to me, either.

In any case, this book has some truly terrifying moments, but it isn't graphic or brutal, and would be good for the kind of reader that enjoys uncovering old mysteries. I saw some of the end coming, but couldn't figure out everything, so there was still some nice surprises in store for me at the end.

I read this book during a snowstorm, when it was cold outside and the wind was howling, adding to the ambiance. This is a spine-tingling tale that kept my mind working from the first page to the last. I definitely recommend it to those who are looking for a good story that will keep you thinking about it when the book is finished.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the publisher, provided through Netgalley. All opinions are my own.
The thrills start from the very outset with this and, by including enough facts and plausible characters, Thompson keeps you wondering whether the deaths and threats are due to the supernatural or evil actions of the living. The continuous threat to the young twins contributes to the anxiety of the reader as well as those in the story.
As the book develops the reader is made increasingly aware of another dangerous character and his involvement ensures the storyline remains interesting and less predictable.
A thrilling read that could make a really good film.
Thank you to NetGalley and Ascendente Books for this copy in exchange for an honest review.
Are supernatural forces at play in this old Antebellum mansion or is someone looking to spook and even harm the new family?

Dark and creepy with a magic mirror and a locked room? Yes, sign me up! The Nursery was everything I was looking for in a quick read.

Jordan and his twin, eight year old girls are rebuilding their lives after the passing of their mother in an old mansion that has a few stipulations for the new residents. The house has been vacant for 50 years and has a room that’s locked and not to be disturbed by anyone. Without the key, Jordan tries to forget about the room, but his daughters have other ideas.

With the help of his friends and few paranormal professionals, Jordan and his girls find out the secrets of the house and the room, but will they survive?

I was impressed by the complexity of each of the characters, growing fond of each of them. I couldn’t wait to turn the page to find out their fates and I wasn’t disappointed!