He Wrote Her Every Day

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Jan 2019

Eine tief berührende Geschichte, die sich anhand von alten Briefen langsam entwickelt. Sehr schön, ergreifend und gefühlvoll.
One of the most interesting books about WWII that I have read in sometime.
Jim & his bride were married about a yr.when he thought it was his duty to enlist and go look for his brother,who had been shot down and captured by the Germans.
He left her alone and promised to write her everyday,he was gone.
He didn't quite accomplish this,but it wasn't for lack of trying.
Sometimes,he was in battle and oftentimes,the mail.dispatcher didn't make it thru.
While,away his wife lived awhile with his folks and gave birth to twins.
She moved to her own place,as soon as she could and waited for Jim's letters,no matter that he couldn't tel! her everything.

After the War ended,the Army took forever to send him home,due to dock strikes and much red tape
But make it home,he did much to his family's de!ight and his brother who had been a prisoner of War,actually beat him home.
Most of the story,is an actual account,as it's their daughter,who wrote this book.
 He and his wife went on to have a normal life and had a few more children.
All of the letters he wrote and the souvenirs he sent home are now on display for the public to see.
Thank you to Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review. "He Wrote Her Everyday"written by Gail Lindenberg.
Three stars: An unforgettable snapshot of history.

When Jim Hendrickson sets off for war in 1944 he leaves with a promise to his young bride. He will write her every day while he’s away. Jim manages to fulfill that promise. He writes Irene faithfully, even if that means writing at night in the latrine or on the road. There is nothing more important to him than his beautiful bride. This is Jim’s story of love and war as he treks across Germany in search of his brother, while his heart remains back home.
What I Liked:
*He Wrote Her Every Day is a lovely book, a snapshot of history if you will. I loved getting to read Jim’s letters back home to his wife Irene. His letters are beautiful, tender and heartfelt. If you are wanting to learn more about what life was like for a soldier during WWII this is a nice little book to read. I also loved the history behind the book, and learning more about Jim and Irene.
*The book incorporates Jim’s actual letters to Irene, interspersed with a bit of Irene’s view point and his daughter’s attempt to recreate Jim’s experience. I thought the letters were the best part, and I liked that that they were real and true.
*I appreciated that no matter what Jim was going through, for the most part, his letters remain upbeat and positive. Jim was an outstanding man. He never bragged or shared the ugly parts of war, instead he tries to keep everything optimistic for Irene back home. The more I learned about Jim and Irene, the more I loved them. They are true American heroes.
*I loved that this was a historical account of one soldier’s view of history. It is hard to believe that the men and women who served in WWII are quickly leaving us. Those that survive are in their nineties now, and sadly so many of them are dying without sharing their stories. I love that this author took the time to share her parents experience and their love story.
And The Not So Much:
*Even though I enjoyed the book, I found myself wishing that the format was more cohesive. The majority of the book consists of Jim’s actual letters, but then there are sections where Gail, his daughter, tries to recreate Jim’s experience. I thought she did a good enough job, but I found myself wishing that the book remained a first hand account.
*I wished that we got more of Irene’s perspective. There were many times in the letter when Jim is answering questions or refers to things that Irene wrote in her letters. Unfortunately, Irene’s letters are lost as Jim was not able to save them all. I wanted to know more about what Irene was thinking and feeling.
*I finished the book also wanting more of the author’s perspective. I wish she had filled in some of the blanks with her impressions and experiences of her parents and her extended family.
*I also found myself wanting far more information on Irene and Jim’s life after the war. I was particularly perplexed that Jim’s relationship with his brother Bill after the war was not mentioned at all.

He Wrote Her Every Day is a daughter’s quest to share her father’s war experience via his letters to his wife back home. I loved that this book consisted of Jim’s actual letters. Unfortunately, the format of the book is a bit confusing, but still worth reading. I applaud the author for taking the time to preserve her father’s account of the war. If you want a snapshot of history, check this book out.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own, and I was not compensated for this review.
Posted@Rainy Day Ramblings.
Beautifully written. Through her love and respect for the people who were this story, author Gail Lindenberg brought them to life within its pages. Read like a historical fiction novel but was dearer to this readers heart because it was real life.
A very sweet series of letters from Jim, a newly wed American soldier to his wife Irene during WW2.. The letters themselves are sweet and poignant, full of longing for the wife he's left behind. Interspersed with these are pockets of history, contextualising some of the letters and these are a narrative between Jim and and the other soldiers in his regiment. Although the author assures us that these narratives are as accurate as possible, they almost take away from the authenticity of the letters. I personally much preferred if the narratives were left out and we just had pure historical context rather than what came across as characturing these soldiers. Other than that a very sweet story of how love is the most powerful of things even in the worst of times. 3 stars
The actual letters included in this book were fascinating!  I started the book thinking that that was what the whole thing was going to be because I love original letters/diaries/etc. but then the book wound up being an odd mashup of Jim's real letters and the author's semi-fictionalized narrative of what Jim did while overseas.  I get what the author was going for, and I appreciate the creativity, but I found it to be a little too ambitious, especially when Irene's perspective was randomly brought in at the very end.  The author switches back and forth throughout the whole book between Jim's actual letters and her fictionalized narration (sometimes some present day first person segments where the author talks with her mom are sporadically included, too), but then for the last couple of chapters, she throws in Irene's view, which just doesn't seem to gel with the rest of the book.  If Irene's narrative were going to be included at all, it would have felt more natural to be introduced to her from the very beginning.  And honestly, I'm far more interested in Irene's experience throughout the war.  She unexpectedly has twins while her husband is fighting at war, and she doesn't see him for over a year?  Fascinating!  I also think that if the book had gone from Irene's point of view, then the letters from Jim would have felt a bit more integrated.

I hate how negative I sound in this review because I hate giving less than glowing responses, so I do want to reiterate that the letters were my favorite part of the whole thing, and I was really into the Author's Note at the very end that mentions the significance of Jim's letters in a social/cultural historic view of the European theater and how his letters are currently at the WWII museum in Louisiana.  It's fascinating to think that that vast number of letters has become such an important part of WWII history from an American perspective, and I'm so happy for the author and her family as their loved one gets some much deserved recognition!  Gail Lindenberg clearly loves the subjects of her writing, and that's the most important thing because then it helps us (the readers) fall in love with her subjects, too.

If you're into reading historic letters, then I'd recommend this book, but I'd also throw out a warning that it's a mix of a primary source, a memoir, and biographical fiction all at once.  It's a bit chaotic, but if you're prepared for it, then it might not be as jarring as it was for me.
I received this book "He Wrote Her Every Day" from NetGalley and all opinions expressed are my own. Hard book to get into. I liked reading the letters but it sort of become boring after a while. The book just didn't hold my interest.
Gail Lindenberg’s He Wrote Her Every Day is the story of her GI father’s Second World War, told mainly through his letters and I chose it partly for research, partly so I could review it and partly because I knew I would enjoy it.

It was a fascinating insight into the life of an American soldier, both training before traveling to Europe and in the final push across Belgium and Germany. Because it was based on Jim’s letters home there are no gory details as he held them back from his wife, but it’s an accurate historical account of one soldier’s war as well as the love story of the early days of his marriage.

Recommended as a good read and a research resource.
Thank you net galley for the advance reader copy of the novel.  I enjoyed reading about the ups, downs, and everything in between for a solider during WWII.   I appreciated the author sharing personal lettersto glimpse the emotional spectrum.   It would have been wonderful to have had some of the reply letters!  Great concept for a novel.
This is a sweet story of Jim and Irene Hendrickson. It chronicles the experience of WWII through the eyes of Jim in letters that he sent to Irene while stationed in Germany.

While the story was sweet, I felt that it lacked a “Wow” moment. I would have liked to have seen more from Irene’s perspective. More of a story behind the letters.

I was provided this book for free in exchange for an honest review.
Such a sweet memoir that makes it hard to believe that love doesn't exist.. :) Thelove and sacrifice portrayed, along with a behind the scenes look at World War II was eye-opening, intriguing, and awe-inspiring.
For me, this was so much more than a simple love story. Firstly we do see the pure love and devotion of one man to his wife, you can feel the adoration he has for her in the notes he wrote, you get the sense of her being his beacon of light in times that we know would have been hellish.

There is more though, a first hand glimpse into the lives these soldiers had to lead on a daily basis albeit from the perspective of finding 'lighter' things to write home to his wife about and not detailing the absolute horror he must have been encountering.
As I read through the letters and retelling of his story,  I really was captivated by the unique descriptions of being in the army, his training and time spent travelling but also the camaraderie between soldiers that gave me a smile and is true testament to the strength of character Jim and his fellow officers had.

This is a well written and cleverly put together memoir that lets us experience the war from a different perspective whilst giving us a beautiful story of love, separation and heroism.
This is a story based on actual letters written between a WWII soldier stationed overseas and his wife. (The book is written by their daughter.) It gives details of what war life was like without getting into gory details, which I appreciated with this book. It also gave details on the trials these men went through trying to get back home once the war was over. This wasn't something I had read about in other WWII books and never gave much thought to but I found the waiting difficult, I can only imagine what it would be like to have lived it! I've gone back and forth with a rating for this book. It's somewhere between and 4 & 5 for me.
A nice easy read good story of how life was waiting for loved ones coming home from war
Thanks to netgalley for an early copy in return for an honest review
Through the daily notes and letters sent home to his wife and family  in 1944 by  Private James William Hendrickson, Jr., and conversations between his wife and mother, we see WWII with it's many diverse experiences and personal sacrifices through the eyes of this family.  It is presented very well, keeping you on the edge of your seat, and brings to those war facts you already know a softening, a sense of humanity often lost in the shuffle.

This was an excellent addition to my History Research Shelf.  It is a book I will want to read again, and savor the lessons presented there.

I received a free electronic copy of this historical novel based on fact, told through letters and the memories of these left behind, from Netgalley, Gail Lindenberg, and Sapere Books in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you all for sharing your hard work with me.
I cannot find the exact words to express how deeply inspiring and meaningful this book is about Private James William Hendrickson Jr. and his devotion to his family, his country but most importantly, his beloved wife Irene. Gail Lindenberg, thank you so much for writing and sharing your late father's story with all of us. I can't thank you enough. His stories among all other members of the Great Depression and World War Two generation deserves to be remembered. They are the generation that really knew what hardship and sacrifice truly meant. Private James William Hendrickson Jr. was truly an honourable man who can be relied on to keep his word. He was also a brilliant leader. His men trusted and respected him and he was also incredibly funny and witty in his interactions with people. He represents the majority of the greatest generation of men and women who knew the true meaning of what family, community and the whole concept of unity meant. They also knew what faithful commitment is.
Private James William Hendrickson Jr. taught me the lessons of:
1. Love loyally and well. When Irene caught his heart, Jim married her.  The 1940s were a time when such things such as "hanging out", "casual dating", "friends with benefits" or "hooking up" didn't really exist and they weren't really encouraged at all. When a particular couple were in love, they courted for a bit and actually went on serious dates where they had serious intentions in doing so. They almost immediately got hitched and remained married for 50-70+ years or for life. These men and women took their marriage vows seriously. They knew what 100% commitment looked like. As Tom Brokaw said in his book "The Greatest Generation", they didn't marry and have families with the thinking "Well let's see how this works out...", they were actually in these relationships for the long haul. Marriage was not a trial run for them.  It was a time when people had higher regards for marriage and didn't accept divorce so easily. Why did their marriages last so long? Because they kept working hard at it together. Jim fulfilled his promises to Irene to keep writing to her and he was truly a man of his word. He kept finding interesting things to say in all his letters to her to keep their love alive. I always found it interesting that the communication media we have today such as Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Email, Snapchat, Whatsapp and even video calling apps such as Skype that are all designed to bring us closer together, actually drive us apart because no one really knows what is really going on in that person's heart and mind, whereas a personal letter can convey what a person is really thinking and feeling, even though letters took days or even weeks to arrive, they were still very much cherished because of the effort it takes to think about what you want to write, improving your writing and catching the post office in order to send letters and receive them. Whereas, I notice that with text messages , it is very easy to send and most people don't really think before they send.  Jim's letters were very heartfelt because the common theme in all of them was how much he loved Irene, his memories of her and how he can't wait to come back home to her and their children. He was 100% faithful to her when in occupied countries, some GIs actually cheated on their wives and sweethearts back home with foreign European women despite the US Army's requests not to. He always asked after Irene and was worried about her health and made sure to always tell her to look after herself and treat herself once in a while. You don't need phones and computers to feel connected. Instead, feel connected when you get to spend quality time with people, being fully engaged, with no distractions. And you don't need social media to remember the good times. Instead, hold tight to the memories you cherish by sharing stories of your life verbally and orally with another person.

2. Life has obstacles that you have to overcome. Persevere through the obstacles, apply yourself and move forward to overcome them. Don't let your situation bring you down or dictate what you do in a negative way. Use negative experiences you face for positive reasons. Have an optimistic attitude about things. When the Army kept delaying Jim's and the other soldier's demobilisation processes and their return home, although Jim was mad because they kept him from his wife, he always found a way to keep busy by learning and chatting to fellow soldiers so that he could keep his mind thinking about something else. He also kept composing letters to Irene for lifeline.

3. Never take anything for granted because you'll never know when you won't have it anymore. After so many World War Two soldiers experienced not so great food, restricted weekend passes and lack of proper hygiene and sanitation facilities as well as improper amounts of sleep and most importantly loud noises of artillery, guns and bombs as well as sadly, the dead and various casualties of their fellow soldiers. After they survived and returned home, they vowed never to take home cooked food, having a shower, a proper place to sleep, travelling  and most importantly the state of being alive for granted ever again and most of them didn't .

4. Be committed to those things that are important to you. Once you say you've made a commitment, stick to it. Be a person of your word. Someone's image depends on their ethics and reliability, not their possessions. Some who lives modestly but worked hard and kept her/his word would earn respect.

5. Sometimes the ills of life take huge sacrifices. Sometimes sacrificing and being unselfish is important. James didn't have to enlist in the Army to look for his brother Bill, he could have just stayed with his wife and he even had an occupational deferment because he was working at Lockheed, but he wanted to bring his brother back safe and sound and do his bit for the war effort so that the enemies can be defeated and the war will get over quickly. It was a lengthy process but eventually he got home.

6. Be humble-don't brag that you are anything more than you are and have proper class with good manners, behave with propriety and be solicitous towards people. Even when Jim got his well earned and deserved promotions and even a medal, he never acted like anyone's superior. He was a good leader to his men and understood the importance of integrity in dealing with people. He gave credit where credit was due. He was also nice to an African American driver at a time when segregation and racism ran rampant. He was also courteous to the German hosts despite everything.

Overall, this biography of Private James William Hendrickson Jr. was truly a wonderful piece of work as it talks about the values of Perseverance, Sacrifice, Honesty, Humility, Empathy, Patriotism, Simplicity and Optimism. Thank you so much Private James William Hendrickson for your service during World War Two. We are indebted to your service as well as other servicemen and servicewomen back then and earlier and even today who contribute so much for our nations' defence.
This memoir was so much better than a love story, as it was told via a soldier's letters home to his love that he promised to write to everyday he was away.  The letters not only captured the love that he had for the woman he was writing to, but they gave insight into what daily life was like for a soldier during World War II.
A lovely book of love bravery beneath the darkness of ww11 .Jim a young soldier promises to write his beloved bride everyday as he fought in the war.A raw look at war an intimate look at their lives his hopes and dreams for them. This reads like the best historical fiction but even better it’s true.Highly recommend.#netgalley#saperebooks,
He Wrote Her Every Day is a compelling portrayal of sacrifice and love, with a behind the scenes look at World War II.  Built around scores of letters written home, this touching memoir presents a detailed picture of the life, thoughts, and emotions of a young soldier, Jim, writing home to his beloved wife, Irene.   His observations of army life, comradeship, and heroism offer an enthralling personal perspective on the events of World War II in Europe.  From his cross country trek from a California training camp, to his Atlantic crossing on the Queen Mary, to his combat in Europe and the early days of occupation, Jim strives to write a letter home daily, one which carefully omits the darker aspects of war.  These letters, in effect, became a diary.

This is one of the better WWII memoirs that I have read. Enjoying history, I have read a number of books regarding the war, along with hearing many stories from family members who served.     Author Gail Lindenberg, Jim's daughter, has done an excellent job providing historical context about the era.  I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher, through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
He Wrote Her Every Day by Gail Lindbergh. A beautiful story written about a collection of letters of a solider at war in 1940’s. If you love historical fiction you will love “he Wrote Her Every Day.