A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I’d like to thank NetGalley for the eARC for my honest review. A spellbinding dystopian marvel! Full of hope, full of sorrow, and so many wonderful exciting twists. I don’t ever like to  add any kind of synopsis to my reviews, so all I will say is its worth every moment you spend enjoying it.
Mesmerizing, captivating, page-turner, must read are just a few words that apply to A boy and his dog at the end of the world. This book was so well written, with characters that came alive in my mind. I’ve never read anything like this story and can only hope to again in the future. It is rare that I read a book and not anticipate where the story is going and how exactly it will get there, but this book blew me away. I wish I had a camera on my face when I hit the 90% finished mark, because I know my mouth must have dropped opened and my eyes must have bugged out! I so did not see that coming and I can hardly wait to recommend this to friends, family, co-workers, everyone! Fantastic! What a gift of a book.
Written by C. A. Fletcher, a boy and his dog is a great choice for anyone looking for a post- apocalyptic novel. In this world, they had the Gelding, when 99% (or something like that) of the world became infertile. So we have out main character who lives on a series of islands off of the UK and only have the one family.

Personally, I didn't get into this novel because of how long the background information goes on and on. The writing is by no means bad, but I just didn't enjoy this.

However, for those looking for a good, new twist on the world after, this is a great book to turn to. It doesn't hide what it is, but embraces that this is years after the culling. And that was greatly appreciated.
A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World by C.A. Fletcher

I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book.  I must say I was delightfully surprised with what a good book it was.   It is a post apocalypse novel.  The world is burnt out and there are a very few survivors.  The story is about Griz.  Griz and a stolen dog fuel the plot.
The author does a great job keeping a secret until not far from the end of the book.  The character development is well done.  The story moves well and has a wide variety of scenery to make it more interesting.
The state of the world is loosely explained.
The book was captivating and well done.
I highly recommend.
I received this book at no charge in exchange for an honest review.
As a dog-mom, I was immediately drawn in by the title and cover!

The story follows young Griz on their quest to retrieve their stolen dog, a precious commodity in a world with few people and even less dogs. As infertility increased in this future dystopia, people struggled to survive as one by one their family died, aging into  oblivion. Doing what they had to do to survive, Griz' family marooned themselves on an island and became vikings- only leaving when it was time to find new equipment or food. A stranger comes to the island and leaves with one of Griz' dogs propelling them upon a journey to take back what is theirs.

This book was both frustrating and engaging! I couldn't help but carry a small bit of dread with me into each chapter as Fletcher is constantly forewarning the reader of the bad things yet to come. I really enjoyed all of the descriptions of Griz (two generations down from the last society) encountering remnants of the old world and supposing what they might be. With a few twists at the end, I particularly loved reading this story while sitting next to my doggo on the couch.

I would definitely recommend this for readers that enjoyed Station Eleven!
I know I’m late to the game, but I recently discovered Netgalley and signed up to review.  I wasn’t too sure how many books I’d get approved for, and when I spotted the cover for A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World, I was immediately drawn in.  Reading the synopsis pulled me in further.  I have a soft spot for dog fiction.  Even though I typically try to limit how many post-apocalypse themed books I read, I knew I needed to give this one a shot.  This was the very first book that I was approved to read through the website, which I think made it a bit sentimental.

The narrative in this book is great.  It’s been some time since I’ve read a book told in diary form and specifically talking to the reader, but as it turns out, I’ve now read two back-to-back.  (The other was Will Haunt You by Brian Kirk, which was a phenomenal read for you horror fans out there.)

The story follows a young boy a number of years after the world began its demise.  The “apocalypse” in this tale was a fantastic twist on the genre and it made me stop and think about how it’s something that could very well happen.

The boy and his family live on a small island somewhere near the United Kingdom.

Then one day a boat is spotted and a stranger arrives.  The man is worldly, enthralling, but also different.  Leaving the boy with a sense of unease towards the stranger, his beard and his smile.

When the boy wakes up and the stranger has left with his beloved dog, the story begins, as the boy gives chase.

Overall this was a fantastic telling of the lengths a human will go towards their pet.  But as most of us dog owners know, our pets are more than just pets, they are family.

The boy has to overcome a number of obstacles, setbacks and roadblocks along the way, as he tracks his dog and the stranger that stole it.

I found there was a few bogged down moments in the middle of the book, which slowed the story and added details that didn’t move the plot along.

However, C.A. Fletcher rights this quickly, which leads us to an ending that I didn’t see coming, but it wrapped everything up and brought the entire story to a phenomenal close.

This tale I think will situate itself nicely with many YA, post-apocalyptic novels, while also separating itself purely with how it is written and the themes shared within.

4/5 stars for an enjoyable romp across an unfriendly landscape.

Early on, it was obvious that this book was something different. Instead of a violent, action-packed story about the fall of civilization, A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World is a quieter, more introspective novel told from the perspective of someone born long after the end of society.

The book is marketed as similar to Station Eleven, and I think that’s an apt comparison. Rather than exploring how human culture survives the apocalypse, this is a story about the importance of family and the powerful bond between humans and dogs.

Griz is born over a hundred years after the Gelding ended the world. There was no nuclear disaster, no sudden societal collapse. One day, humanity simply found that it had become almost entirely infertile. The apocalypse happened slowly over the course of the decades that followed as the world’s population grew old.

A few thousand people remain. Griz and his family live peacefully on an island all to themselves, along with their two dogs. Every now and then they take their boat to go foraging, which is how Griz finds the various books (like McCarthy’s The Road and Adams’ Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy) he makes references to throughout the novel.

And then the thief came. The rest of the story is Griz’s journal chronicling his quest to be reunited with his stolen dog. As a brief side note, I do wish more time had been spent building up Griz’s relationship with his dog at the beginning of the story, but this was more than made up for as the story progressed.

Fletcher’s prose is hauntingly beautiful and offers poignant insight into our world through Griz’s exploration of its ruins. There is very little dialogue in the book, and it’s presented without quotes or any form of easily recognizable punctuation. The dialogue, like the story, is just written down as Griz remembers it. Sometimes it’s necessary to read past what Griz actually writes, since he records words he doesn’t recognize phonetically.

I hope you have tissues with you, because you’ll need them. A Boy and His Dog doesn’t pull punches. That said, it’s never bleak. There’s an underlying current of hope that courses through the story. Most of the remaining humans still have some basic decency and Griz is a capable protagonist with more agency than he often realizes.

Early on it was obvious that this book was something different. But it soon became obvious that the story is something truly special.
I absolutely love a good end of the world story and this one was absolutely wonderful! It's probably the most beautifully described post pandemic world I've ever read. The story is written from the viewpoint of Griz who lives with their family on an isolated island near what I imagine was once Ireland. Griz's family lives alone on this island and their closest neighbor is a family who lives several islands away from them. So needless to say when a stranger sails to their isle claiming to be a trader they are both cautious and excited. Unfortunately they were not cautious enough because Brand, the red bearded trader, drugs the family with exotic marmalade. To the horror of Griz's family the trader has stolen one of their precious dogs. A female terrier named Jess. Griz immediately jumps in a boat with their other family dog Jip to track down the thief and reclaim the family dog.
What then follows is a trip of discovery and test of determination when Griz faces obstacles and wonders that were only read about in the books the family had "a-vikinged" (salvaged) from trips to other islands where there were homes or towns.
This book was really wonderful. I'm the type of person who roots for the dog before I root for the human so I was a little scared to read this on account of the dog but I am so glad I did. This will definitely be a long time favorite. Thank you to NetGalley for the chance to read and review such an amazing story.
“If we’re not loyal to the things we love, what’s the point? That’s like not having a memory. That’s when we stop being human. That’s a kind of death, even if you keep breathing.”

The Boy and His Dog at the End of the world is an alluring dystopian scifi. A page turner with a fascinating world and mystery. The story opens up immediately with the reason for the end of the world and something called the Gelding happened and it’s basically caused..well, people to stop having babies. No one getting it on in this book. No berry white in the bedrooms. The population went from 7.7 billion to 8 and a half thousand in just 70 years.

This story is being told by a young boy named Griz in a journal like format which I feel like is common in dystopian stories. He’s recounting what happened like he’s talking to you personally but one thing I struggled with was he’s also recounting conversations and there would be times when I’d be half way through a paragraph and realize at the end that it was actually dialogue and it threw me a little off kilter when it happened.

Griz lives on an island with his family; his parents, brother and sister and his two dogs. We are pretty quickly given information about how the family gets by and the many tragic events they have had to go through which are very heartbreaking. The first chapter definitely sets a vibe for the rest of the book like “oh man, this is tough.” Which I don’t ever expect less from apocalyptic stories and this one hits hard in the feels. Plus it being centered around dogs does not help.

Getting visitors is such a rarity that it’s become a big event for the family so when a stranger shows up to the island in a boat, they are immediately wary but to show hospitality they invite him in and the stranger has gifts and but also strange stories along with them. After some events that you’ll have to read to find out yourself, Griz realizes this stranger has stolen one of his dogs and man, you’d think that wasn’t such strong turning point in the story but the author makes it feel so dire. The stranger also stole some very important resources from the family as well. Griz, without thinking, grabs his other dog, hops in a boat and chases after the stranger which leads him to the empty mainland where he finds out he’s chasing something different entirely.

“Solitude is its own kind of madness. Like hope Itself.”

The characters are fully developed and totally interesting. The dystopian story is compelling and believable. Fletcher paints a chilling picture of a broken world and the events that conspire after the survivors are left. You’ll find sadness, and loss, and tragedy here but you’ll also find unity, courage, and hope. This is a book you will never forget!
A fertility epidemic (slowly) wiped out 99.9999% of the world’s population. The remaining survivors are scattered around the globe. Griz lives on a small, Scottish island with several family members and two dogs. When one of the dogs is stolen by a mysterious visitor, Griz sets off across the sea and barren landscape to bring the dog back home.

C.A. Fletcher paints a vivid picture of an abandoned, post-apocalyptic world, but this is a tough book to rate. I did not find Griz’s story to be compelling...at all...until the final 10% of the book. It was a quick read and that excellent last section made the uninteresting journey somewhat worthwhile. I did appreciate that Fletcher’s choice of narration style is part of the story and even pays off in the final pages.

My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to Orbit Books and NetGalley for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest view.

This is an outstanding book!!!  I received the first 5 chapters to read and was intrigued so I requested the completed book and am soooo glad that I did!!
This book is about a boy living on an island, just off the shores of Scotland, in a time after the world's population has been decimated by some kind of disease or bioweapon that has stopped the reproduction cycle. There is a very, very small percentage of people not affected and so Griz lives in a world where the only humans who he knows are his immediate family and a neighbouring family on another island.
One day a stranger shows up and is interested in trading with Griz's family and even more interested in Griz's dogs Jess and Jip. After an evening of hospitality and conversation, Griz awakens in the morning to find his family seems to have been drugged and the stranger has disappeared. Not only has the stranger sailed away but he has stolen Griz's dog Jess.
The stranger's boat can be seen on the horizon so without a second thought, Griz grabs a few supplies and along with Jip , he takes after the boat in hopes of rescuing Jess.
From here we follow along with Griz on an adventure to the mainland where he must overcome many challenges of a world that has been left in decay in hopes that he can save Jess.

This is a very well written book with a narrative that flows so easily and flawlessly. It comes across as very straight forward and you feel like you know exactly where the story is going...……. until you don't. That surprise twist totally threw me for a loop. It had me second guessing if I had missed some important reveal. When I got to the end I turned to the first page to start reading again to see if I could see just where the author had deceived me and if there were any clues that could have indicated the truth. This is one book you definitely need to add to you TBR list no matter what genre you like!

Bravo C.A Fletcher that was very well done!
Thank you NetGalley and Orbit for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Another book that vaguely reminded me of Station 11 which I enjoyed.  Its the Story of a boy who will go through many journeys to find his dog who was stolen.
This book was different from the other dystopian/post-apocalyptic genre. It has a very calming feel to it but it was a different way to narrate it and at times I found it distracting and almost taking away from the story.
Just heart-rending. LOVED this more than I thought I would. Wonderful world building and I'll not forget Griz anytime soon!
First, I love the cover art! It's so vibrant and bold. A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World is a uniquely written dystopian novel. Obviously, the boy and the dog are separated, and the story is the journey to reunite. It's a compelling story with twists and likeable characters. I also found it sad, and the story felt lonely. Overall a good read.
"A man stole my dog, I went after him. Bad things happened. I can never go home."

In a potential far future, humanity has reached the brink of extinction not with a bang, with a whimper. "It was a soft apocalypse."

Something happened so that the majority of the population was no longer able to have children. With none, or very few, children being born, the people grew older and eventually died. With few progeny to follow after them, the world was reclaimed by nature.

Griz, a young teenager, is one of very few children left alive. He lives with his family on a remote island "... off the Atlantic coast of what used to be Scotland." The mainland is said to be empty of people, but his family stays away from it anyway. They have everything they need to survive on the islands surrounding their home.

Griz is lucky -  he has siblings. This is rare in a world where few children are born. Griz has an older brother and sister and should have one more sister, but she died tragically a few years before Griz's diary entries begin.

Besides his family, the only things he truly loves are his two terrier dogs; Jip and Jess.

When a jovial trader arrives on their island, he does something that changes Griz's life forever after.

This wonderfully vivid story grabbed my attention and held it through it's entirety. In fact, I was so engrossed in the story that I read the entire 336 pages in a single 24 hour span.

This is a coming-of-age tale like no other. Told in the style of diary entries, this book offers a unique perspective on the world as seen through the eyes of a young adult who has spent his entire life sheltered not only by geography, but also by his parents and older siblings.

A major theme of this book is the love between man and dog. It explores exactly how far someone might go to rescue their pet. As a 'dog-person,' I completely understand the depth of Griz's relationships with both Jip and Jess.

Griz faces many adventures and experiences sights and sounds that previously he had only ever read about in books.

Griz writes that "... no one knows the end of their story..." and I felt this quite keenly at the end of the book.

Although the loose ends are all tied up and questions are answered, the author leaves open the possibility of more books starring Griz and his loyal canine companion. I, for one, cannot wait. I very much look forward to reading them.

I am rating this young adult book as 5 out of 5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

***Thank you to the Publisher and to #NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this book.***
Man, I tried really hard to love this one, and there was enough cleverness and novelty that buoyed me through the early chapters to hook my interest, but, sadly, this one lost me about 60% in.

The story of Griz, whose parents were two of the few humans unaffected by a virus spreading infertility, A Boy and His Dog begins on an island off the UK mainland where Griz and his family live a subsistence life of meager farming, fishing, and scavenging from what remains of our world (the timeline seems to place this book at about 100-150 years from our own time). He has two dogs of his own, one of whom is stolen by a mysterious traveler who comes by Griz's family's island.

The author makes some interesting choices, like telling a dystopian story from the perspective of someone who did not experience the fall (think if the boy from The Road, which this book references often, were the protagonist instead of the man) and telling the story in the form of a journal/letter to an unknown our-timer whose picture Griz finds while scavenging.

However, one of the biggest issues in setting a novel in a world where the human population is down to 20,000 or so worldwide is the fact that there really isn't a whole lot; Griz's storytelling style makes the narrative hard to follow, and the unique choice of having a child born after the apocalypse tell the story has a downside in that it makes Griz's descriptions of common settings difficult to understand.

By about 40% in, I became simply indifferent to Griz, and was uninvested in the travels of him or his titular dog (both the one he travels with and the one whom he is on a quest to save). Like a lot of dystopias (and this one references most of them), the book has a great concept and great hook but fails to deliver in the follow through.
I was completely in awe after reading the first free chapters and thought this would be my "book of the year". Not sure about that after finishing the whole book - but first I want to thank publisher and Netgalley for providing a copy!!! Don't misunderstand: I love the book. It is very unique, a special gem, and not only because its plot of the bonds humans and their pets. Soemtimes the book goes way deeper and makes you think about our Now and a probable Later like the world our narrator is living in in an empty, post-apocalyptic world. I think the beginning and the ending parts are fabulous. I'd re-think the 3.Quarter - the author gets lost in details that are not needed or I'd say: the book carries a special mood. To stay in that details aren't the focus, the story is. You flow through this universe and watch it from above and while passing - stopping for a moment is fine, staying for too long makes restarting the flow difficult.
However, I think and hope that this book will find its way to readers who will see "the feel"!!!!
I picked up this book because of the cover and the title of the book. Who doesn't love a story about a boy, his dog, and an apocalypse? However, I felt I had to trudge through the narrative of the story.

There was an excessive amount of exposition, which felt too heavy. The dialogue, what little there was in the story, was lackluster and hard to follow since there were no traditional quote marks to show when a character was speaking, which when reading exposition and then all of a sudden it's someone talking, it can be jarring to transition. I found myself skimming portions of the chapters because it felt too difficult to get through some of the detail that didn't keep me involved in the storyline.

At one point, all I cared about was finding out what happened to the dog. I did like the last portion of the book and the ending, and it had a good twist.

I'm not sure I would recommend this book, however.
What a moving and insightful story. This book explores the bond of humans and animals. With a powerful voice, engaging writing, and vivid imagery, this title will live on in reader’s hearts.