The Perfect Betrayal

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Jul 2019

Unfortunately I do not feel it fair to rate this book as I only read the first chapter and just could not get into it so gave up..   I was very interested in it having read the synopsis but did not like the style in which it was written and it did not therefore hold my interest - hence the low rating but that is just personal taste
🌟BOOK REVIEW🌟

I am struggling to review this book. I do not want to offer any information with regards to the plot/story but there is SO MUCH I want to say.

I would start however, with a small request. My fellow book reviewers/book bloggers, if you are in fact lucky enough to read this book then do not speak about the plot whatsoever. Don’t give the audience any indication what will happen. Let the reader walk in blindly and take this adventure independently. The feeling I experienced was unreal.

I consider myself quite the connoisseur and psychological thrillers is a genre that heavily dominates my reading repertoire BUT nothing prepared me for this book. It was 12.36 am and I was sinking deeper into my sofa and then wham! Lauren North drops her bombshell at 85% and the whole book takes a 360-degree turn. I sat upright and actually said aloud ‘hold on,  what.’

I thought with confidence that I had the plot all figured out, in fact I was 99% sure that I was right, but that explosion of a revelation turned the whole book around for me. It didn’t just change by thoughts on the characters and the story, but it changed by perspective of the whole book – clever, very clever.

This book is the very definition of what a good psychological thriller should be. It was deftly layered with emotion and suspense. I felt ‘Tess’ the main characters grief and the one-line conversations that she has with her late husband pulled at my heart. It was an incredibly emotionally charged book.

The writing was superb and cleverly constructed to help conceal major plots. It flowed with consistency chapter to chapter offering small snippets of information to put together this crazy puzzle.

Admittedly a little slow to begin with but it’s a build up to the avalanche of sequences that will take place later on. A good novel should stir emotions deep inside you and this book does just that. It has been a while since I read something that had this effect on me.

Outstanding. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I would like to thank Netgalley Penguinuk and Lauren North for a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.

Publication date: 14th March 2019

Zubs 💛💋
This is a fantastic and gripping read. Once I started I couldn't stop until I'd finished the book. A real psychologist thriller with a twist I really didn't see coming.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC in return for an honest and unbiased opinion.
Outstanding. This is, quite simply, a really well written psychological thriller with the heart-breaking addition of a terrible loss. It grabbed me from the first page and spat me out at 1am! The plotting is excellent and very clever; the characters are fully developed and realistic.

Tess is all-consumed by grief when her husband, Mark, is killed in a plane crash. She is pretty much unable to function, apart from trying to take care of her seven year old son, Jamie. Her mother is so concerned, she arranges for a grief counsellor, Shelley, to visit her. What becomes apparent, very quickly, is that Shelley is still trying to deal with the loss of her four year old son, who would now be the same age as Jamie. Can Tess really trust Shelley, or does she has ulterior motives?

Mark’s brother, Ian, insists that Mark died owing him a great deal of money and he wants it back. Is he being truthful or trying to exploit a tragic situation?

This novel contains a poignant depiction of loss and grief and the descriptions of Tess in the depths of despair are deeply sad. However they are countered by a sinister thriller about trust and suspicion. The narrative strikes a clever balance between a series of conversations; those Tess has with herself, her dead husband, Shelley, and Ian, but as you read on, there is much more to this, than you first assume. Highly recommended.

I received a complimentary copy of the book from NetGalley and publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you.
This book was just so good.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and never saw the end coming.  I will be looking out for Lauren North books in the future.
Enthralling book - I was still reading to finish it at 2.30 am!
The overwhelming feeling of grief runs throughout from the main character who lost her husband in a tragic accident. She is befriended by a grief councillor who steps in at the most opportune time and what transpires then is gripping with a final twist. Highly recommended and thanks to Netgalley for letting me review.
What a fantastic book!!!

I loved the whole of this story, and although I pretty much figured out the twist quite early in the story it didn't deter my reading.

It's really difficult to go into the whole plot and story in a review as you don't want to give anything away- but what I will say- is that ending- was flawless!! I loved it!
Tess is devastated when he husband is killed the only thing that keeps her going is her precious son Jamie but she isn't coping, enter Shelley the woman who becomes her best friend and confidont or does she???? Who can Tess trust?
It's twists and turns all the way, real edge of the seat reading right until the end it keeps you guessing.
Shall certainly keep on the look out for more books from this author.
This was a great read, at times quite sad, but very well written. I enjoyed it immensely and look forward to more.
Many thanks to Laurn North and Random House for the opportunity to read and review this book. The Perfect Betrayal was a sad, heart breaking in sight to how the brain processes grief. Tessa losses her husband suddenly in a plane crash; she isn't coping and seeks the help of a grief counsellor. She is behaving erratic, thinking everyone is out to hurt her. Is it all in her head or is her worst nightmare around the corner.
I really enjoyed this book, the writing was fast paced and the characters intriguing. I stumbled upon this book and it wasn’t in my “must read” list, however was pleasantly surprised and will definitely read more from this author in the future.
I’ve rated it 4 stars but it’s probably closer to 4.5 stars.
A gripping and shocking read which draws you in from the first chapter. Really enjoyed this book with twists and turns a plenty
This book brings out sympathy and compassion for the main character’s plight .It was a brilliant read and I can highly recommend it.The reader feels confused as to who is telling the truth and what is definite!I don’t want to give anything away and spoil this...buy this for yourself,you won’t be able to put it down!
Really enjoyed this book & what an ending!  Plenty twists & turns would recommend this book to anyone look forward to reading more by this author.
I was on edge throughout The Perfect Betrayal, tension building until I reached the ending. Wow that ending! I'd imagined the story could go that way but it's a shocking conclusion nevertheless . Lauren perfectly captures the pain of grief, the shock and the need for it to just be a horrible nightmare. I liked that Tess still spoke to Mark even though he had gone, it made the character more likeable.  Overall 4/5 stars.