Never Tell

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

"One death might be an accident.
Two deaths looks like murder."

Having read all of Lisa Gardner's books in the D.D. Warren series (I actually marked my calendar for the release date for this title) I was excited to receive the ARC!

Evie returns home to find her husband murdered in his office, and when she takes the gun from his lap to destroy evidence, history starts to repeat itself. 16 years ago Evie's father's dead was ruled an accident, accidentally shot by his daughter when cleaning the gun that killed him..

D.D. Warren was a rookie 16 years ago assisting the case, now she leads this case wondering if someone can get away with murder twice. Flora Danes, D.D.'s CI, once victim of kidnapper and abuser Jacob Ness realises she met Evie's husband when she was held by Ness. D.D. and Flora work the case together, D.D. with her years of experience, Flora with her street smarts.

I love how Lisa Gardner layered her story, slowly unfolding the ties that connect these 3 women together. Every chapter alternates between these 3 women's point of view, making it, at times, a dark read. D.D. is determined to solve this case and the one 16 years ago, Flora is still battling her inner demons regarding Jacob Ness and Evie is coming to realise her life is not what she thought it was.

When the puzzle starts coming together Lisa Gardner picks up the pace of the book to bring it all together  and making it hard to put 'Never Tell' down! Brilliant new book in the D.D. Warren series.

Thank you Random House UK for my ARC in return for my honest review.
Once upon a time, a young girl accidentally shot her father in their kitchen. At least, that was the story that Evie Hopkins and her mother told. No charges were ever bought.
Today, another man lies dead, shot to death in his own study. His wife is found in the room holding the gun, with residue on her hands. His wife denies murder, claiming only to have shot his computer. But is she telling the truth? Why would she have put eight bullets into the computer?
And more importantly, has Evie Hopkins got away with murder once again?
I first came across Lisa Gardner’s work with Find Her. While it is the eighth book to feature police detective D D Warren, it was the first (I think) to feature Flora Dane, a survivor of a traumatic long-term kidnapping. Both characters reappeared in Look For Me and it seems that Flora has become an established co-lead in the series.
This is an excellent idea, given that Flora is an extraordinary character, struggling to come to terms with her ordeal, both during and following her kidnapping. The book follows the point of view of D D, Flora and Evie – which does establish very quickly – perhaps too quickly – that she’s innocent of at least one of the crimes.
The book moves forward in various directions, with two separate crimes – three if you count a spate of possibly-related arsons – that may or may not be related. Indeed, it seems very unlikely that there could be a connection between the perpetrators of the crimes, but I’ll just say that Lisa Gardner does a very impressive job of weaving the strands together into a single cohesive story, something I didn’t think would happen, I’ll be honest.
There’s some chilling stuff here, in part due to revisiting Flora’s kidnapping ordeal, but Gardner does a good job of making it chilling without being prurient. I’ve no idea how accurate the bits about the dark web are, but as they are both believable and, more importantly, understandable, I’m willing to go along with it.
At the end of the day, I think a lot of readers will spot the primary villain of the piece, but putting all of the pieces into the right places would be an impressive piece of work. There are even a few clues there for the very alert reader…
The third of three strong thrillers in a row from Lisa Gardner, this is obviously Highly Recommended.
Availability: Never Tell is released in the UK by Century as a hardback and an ebook on Thursday 21st February 2019. Many thanks for the review copy.
I’ve read a few books by Lisa Gardner before but I was unaware that she had written a series of books and that this was part of a series.  That being said, that did not impair my enjoyment of this book.

This was a slow burner of a story, with lots of layers being unwrapped and plenty of red herrings along the way.

An excellent thriller by one of the world’s best writers.

4.5 stars.

Thank you to Random House and Netgalley for the ARC of this story and giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my review.
Never Tell is the tenth book in the Boston based Sergeant D.D. Warren series from the Queen of Thrillers, and what a cracking read it is. It's easy to pick up and oh so difficult to put down. It had me turning the pages feverishly in excitement, and there were all the elements necessary to keep you completely riveted. I've read every one of Gardner's books, and this is her most accomplished to date.

There are many aspects that set this book apart from the rest, but the one I loved the most was that it was told from the perspective of three incredibly strong women - Evie, Flora and D.D - and with each chapter labelled with the characters name there is no room for confusion about who is talking. We get the information and reveals that the investigation uncovers through D.D who is a rational, capable and dogged investigator, whilst Flora and Evie's chapters reveal pure emotion and tell of their suffering in a powerful and heartfelt manner.

I was also completely engrossed in the parts that discuss the mysterious entity known as the dark web. There has long been a fascination and mystique surrounding it, and I found that it worked really well by creating more tension and unpredictability. With fast pacing, plentiful twists, expert plotting, secrets and lies in abundance and an altogether suspenseful narrative, this is a five-star read all the way. Highly recommended.

Many thanks to Century for an ARC.
Brilliant plot, excellent main characters that you invest in.  I read this book in one sitting and I would highly recommend it.
My first book by Lisa Gardner starts with a tense opening chapter, fear but unspoken by Evie , as she enters her marital home with a sense of dread , something isn’t right, as she looks around her home with panic and trepidation she walks into her husbands office , there he Is, blood everywhere, dead looking at his computer, gunshots to the body and head, Evie is arrested at the scene for murder...scene is set

Detective D.D Warren and her confidential informant , the damaged Flora Dane , survivor of a terrible crime herself , work the case .

Evie is known by D.D from another fatal shooting , that time with a shotgun , killing her own father 16 years ago, that death was deemed an accident. Has lighting struck twice? Can one woman be involved in two accidental shootings? Or is something more sinister taking place this time ?

Flora Dane is damaged by being kept kidnapped and abused by Jacob Ness , a serial sex addict and abuser or women, for over 400 days.

Flora realises , Evie’s now Dead husband Conrad , is linked to her abduction years ago, she recalls Conrad trying to buy her possibly from Ness in a bar....Is Conrad another predator?

Each chapter is written from a main character POV, detailing past events building into the current and bringing them altogether in the stories Arc, I really enjoyed this style of writing.

Flora is telling the story of her capture and life with ness, and also using that to help with the clues for the new investigation.

Evie , detailing her fathers death , and what really happened, the tales of Flora and Evie become inexplicably linked and we dig deeper into what actually happened with her father and husband

D D is not so involved but tells her story from young cop to hardened sergeant,Convinced Evie is guilty this time around.

The 3 stories come together very well as they all search for answers about Jacob Ness and Conrad Carter.

I will say this , as a first time reader of the series, that this definitely feels like a Flora Dane book, not a Detective DD Warren book, Flora demands her own series , she’s a fantastic character.

It’s an Intriguing tale that snakes and twists around, ,lies and betrayal begging to be uncovered as the story begins to crank up toward the end, quickening pace to the writing it never stops and builds brilliantly into an explosive, emotional finale.

This is a cracking read 4.5

Thanks to Net Galley for this copy.no way reflects my review
Loved this book love the series would definitely recommend this book the characters are real the storyline amazing!!
A man is dead, shot three times in his home office. But his computer has been shot twelve times, and when the police arrive, his pregnant wife is holding the gun.

D. D. Warren arrives on the scene and recognises the woman, Evie Carter from a case many years back. Evie's father was killed in a shooting that was ruled an accident. But for D.D., two coincidental murders is too many.

Flora Dane sees the murder of Conrad Carter on the TV news and immediately knows his face. She remembers a night when she was still a victim a hostage and her captor knew this man. Overcome with guilt that she never tracked him down, Flora is now determined to learn the truth of Conrad's murder.

But D.D. and Flora are about to discover that in this case the truth is a devilishly elusive thing. As layer by layer they peel away the half-truths and outright lies, they wonder: How many secrets can one family have?

Never Tell is an outstanding suspense thriller that starts off fast and then goes even faster all the way to the end and while featuring not one, not two, but three fascinating female leads, readers are in for a gripping and well done thriller with Never Tell.

5 Stars

Many thanks to NetGalley and Random House UK Cornerstone for an advance copy in return for a fair and honest review.
I had always read about Lisa Gardner's books - this is the first time I've read her work. Despite fact I do not love alternating chapters with alternating narratives much (too much work!), Gardner manages it adeptly and it's totally clear. Three strong women - each a bit more demented than the other - that is Eve and her mother in law - the police woman is part of a series, I gather - her voice is a bit stop-and-start and is the least successful (I think because she refers to other cases I don't know about maybe??) - and the third woman, Flora - it's all a bit convoluted but I sort of got it- much repetition about hit men, and failed attempts to call it off - as if this is utterly normal - it does not always seem clear to me that it is. But this is adept crime fiction with its own laws and naturally it has to be accepted - for sheer entertainment value despite credibility problems for me - this really works. It drew me on, that's for sure. But i have to admit i was not totally taken in ...
*4.5 stars*

Three protagonists - Sergeant DD Warren of the Boston Police Department, her Confidential Informant Flora Dane, and pregnant mum to be, Evie Carter. Evie is discovered by the cops holding a shotgun in her husband’s home office - her husband lies dead, his life ended by three shots - but what’s even more bizarre, his computer has been shot 12 times!

This isn’t the first time that Evie has been found in a very similar situation - 16 years earlier as a teenager, she was found holding a shotgun in front of her father, - he too was dead, however it was deemed to be accidental - but was it? Has history repeated itself, or is the truth of it even more puzzling?

Fast paced, and action packed, the characters are so fully fleshed that it’s impossible not to believe in them, and with numerous twists in the plot that are not only convincing, but in some cases well disguised and surprising too, ‘Never Tell’ is a dark and tangled tale of all consuming lies, and deeply hidden truths. Intense and complex, it will require your full attention, but boy is it worth the investment!
A gloriously twisty and expertly plotted thriller. The novel serves as a reminder that things are not always as they seem and of the destructive power of lies. This is my first experience of Flora and I hope it won't be the last as she is a wonderful character. With “Never Tell” Lisa Gardner is at the top of her game.
Firstly, I would like to say a massive thank you to Lisa Gardner, Random House UK, Cornerstone and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to review the ARC of Never Tell. I am extremely honored. Secondly, although Never Tell is the latest of Detective D.D Warren series, it would definitely be an outstanding standalone, too.

This is only the second book I’ve read from this author. I read Live to Tell a few months ago and became a fan straight away.

Like the aforementioned book, Never Tell follows three powerful women; this time alternating between D.D Warren, Flora and Evie. The narratives are easily differentiable from one-another and are really well thought out. I love the different view points of the characters that eventually get blurred into each-other for the finale.

Like the cover states – you can never tell what goes on behind closed doors. The unlikely friendships, ultimate betrayal and fiery culmination swallow you whole from the start; and the fast paced story-line keeps you turning the pages throughout the night into the early hours of the morning.

Because I guessed the villain (I really need to stop doing this!) I give it a 4 out of 5 stars; Rest assured a physical copy will be getting shelf space in my home library as soon as the paperback gets released!
Really enjoyed this!!
I hadn't realised that it was a part of a series, but that didn't matter at all. Well fleshed out characters, a carefully plotted and driven mixed narrative that held my attention throughout.
You can tell the writing is good when you're forgetting that you are actually reading, if that makes sense? I was pulled into the story from the start and read this book in a couple of sittings.
A great set of contrasting characters; their individual personalities were all with engaging, and built well with backstories and difficulties.
I enjoyed the author's playing with our first impressions and the puzzle of the twists, which actually worked and didn't seem cliche or contrived. Loved the set-up of the crime with the repetition of being found with a gun twice and the secrets that are slowly uncovered - kept me guessing!
I'll definitely check out other books in this series by Lisa Gardner.

Not a 5 star but a solid 4 for me. A recommended read.
Thank you so much for the opportunity to review NetGalley and Random House UK.
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this amazing book

lisa gardner does it again...what a book...one that you cant put down that grabs you so much you lose sleep, who needs sleep anyway....
there was never a dull moment in this book...it was all go go go...action never stopped

the characters are so good together and never boring i love this series...

a young pregnant woman comes home and finds her husband upstairs in his office shot dead...she hears police in the background and she picks up the gun and shots the computer 12 times...she is then arrested as they suspect her of murdering her husband...

years previous she was connected with another shooting..her father

will the police this time find the evidence to support what they suspect and get her behind bars..
and what is going on with jacob ness....where does he fit into the equation....

one amazing book that takes you on a journey of the dark web before we find out who the murderer is
this is one book that will keep you awake at night....wanting to find out who did what where...
Another excellent installment in this series. This is one of the few series that has maintained high quality writing/story throughout.
At first I found the book slow and didn't think I was going to enjoy it but I'm really pleased that I persevered as it was absolutely brilliant. The book focuses on a number of characters as follows: Evie (who told the police as a 16 year old she'd shot her father). Flora a survivor from an abduction, DD a Boston police detective (who was a young policewoman investigating the shooting of Evie's father. Evie's mother (a controlling influence on both Evie and her father). Dick Delaney the defence attorney who had defended Evie at the trial for her father's murder. Evie's husband Conrad who is also murdered but who was also leading a double life dabbling in the dark web to investigate his parents murder. They are assisted in the case by the FBI and a computer geek called Keith. Slowly the case unfolds and the murderer is identified but not before he tries to hide his identity by hiring an arsonist to destroy any evidence that may have been left behind.
Never Tell is the tenth book in the D.D. Warren Boston police detective series, but if you haven’t read any of the books in the series, don’t let that put you off as this book can easily be read as a stand-alone. I’ve been a fan of Lisa Gardner’s for years, her crime thrillers pack a punch, incorporate well fleshed out characters, and plots that are compelling but at the same time nail-biting.
When Evie is found standing over the body of her dead husband with a gun in her hand, Detective D.D. Warren and her team are hand to investigate what appears to to be a straightforward case of domestic homicide, especially when D.D. recognises Evie from a previous investigation 16 years earlier when Evie shot her father. If there’s something D.D. doesn’t believe in its coincidences, as the investigation proceeds, however, Detective DD Warren begins to have her doubts, is Evie a victim? Or is Evie about to get away with murder?

Never Tell features three strong female lead characters, D.D., Flora and Evie, the narrative is told from each of the characters POV. There is no confusion as each chapter is labelled with the name of the character, some authors would struggle with this approach but not Lisa Gardner, she effortlessly moves between narratives whilst maintaining the reader’s attention with a seamless plot.  The three protagonists bring very different things to the read you have D.D. who is a single-minded, tough-talking detective. Flora is a survivor, of a sexually sadistic serial killer, (readers of this series will recognise her from Find Her and Look For Me) on the outside she appears to be one tough cookie, but inwardly it’s a very different story, she is haunted by her ordeal and her sadistic kidnapper Jacob. Evie is the most bewildering of the three characters, haunted by her father's death, manipulated by her mother, and convinced her husband has lied to her throughout their marriage, she’s a closed book, you know she’s hiding something, but to the “what” is deftly revealed by the author.  As D.D. and Flora peel away the half-truths and outright lies layer by layer, they can’t help but wonder: How many secrets can one family have?

In Never Tell we learn far more about Flora’s abduction at the hands of Jacob Ness, how this ties into the murder of Evie’s husband you will just have to read the book and see, as I would expect the author manages to tie what at first to be two unrelated crimes together perfectly.  The author explores the dark web in Never Tell, a place which scares the life out of me if I’m honest, it’s a place where the unacceptable is acceptable, where the worse monsters wander, and for that reason some readers may find some scenes upsetting. As crime thrillers go this isn’t one that features numerous red herrings to keep the reader gripped, the focus is very much on the investigation and the unravelling of the clues that D.D. and her team uncover during their investigation which adds to the overall tension and suspense. Although the culprit behind the murders becomes pretty obvious by the halfway mark, it’s still a worthy addition to the series. Lisa Gardner has a way of writing that captures to reader from the first page all the way to the thrilling conclusion and Never Tell has reinforced my love of the series with a gripping story line, strong characters and a gritty plot that made for a disquieting read

This review maybe altered slightly and edited prior to publication on my blog
I was a little late to the party here as I'd not read any of the prior books.  I did enjoy this (guessed the villain however) but it did seem heavy-going and none of the characters, to me, were really likeable.  If you're not into the internet etc, then this is unlikely to be for you, you'd have to concentrate.  Could have been a tad shorter.
This is the first book I have read in the DD Warren series but it is a good standalone book .Never Tell is a gripping page turner from the very beginning .Plenty of twists and turns ,the story is told by three different woman ,Detective DD Warren,her informant Flora Dane and Evie Carter .This book is very well told with a great suspenseful ending .Many thanks to the Publisher ,the Author and NetGalley for my review copy in return for an honest review .
When Evie is found standing over the body of her husband with a gun in her hand, the Boston PD leap to the obvious conclusions. Not least because, almost 20 years ago, Evie confessed to shooting and killing her father by accident. As the investigation proceeds, however, Detective DD Warren begins to have her doubts... about both this shooting and the earlier one.

A Lisa Gardner novel is guaranteed to be totally gripping and ingeniously plotted, and Never Tell is no exception. However, they do also tend towards the violent end of US crime fiction and have a heavy reliance on the trope of graphic violence against women. There are various opinions in the book world about the tendency of crime fiction to detail the victimisation of women. I feel there's a delicate balance to be struck between the genre reflecting the reality of the world - which is that, yes, women are far more likely to be the victims of sexually motivated crimes and/or serial killers - and authors dwelling too much on the explicit details of this violence. And it's this detailed focus on sexual violence against women that made me swear not to read any more Gardner after I was deeply troubled by 2016's Find Her. I'm very glad I went back on this pledge, however, because Never Tell was a great read and was largely (although not entirely) free of the trope Gardner has relied on so heavily in the past.