Never Tell

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

This is the tenth outing of detective D D Warren, however it was my first and Never Tell works completely as a stand alone novel. The story is told in three voices; Boston detective D.D., Evie the widow of the recently murdered Conrad and a police confidential informant, Flora.

D.D. is convinced Evie is guilty of murder, she was found beside the body, grasping the murder weapon and considering she’s already admitted to one accidental murder, this is most definitely an open and shut case. However, Flora, recognises the murder victim as someone her perverted abductor had introduced her to, in fact was possibly going to sell her to. Suddenly D.D’s quick fix case isn’t so simple, who was the murder victim and why did his wife shoot almost an entire magazine of bullets into his computer.?

This was a fast paced, engaging thriller that kept me hooked from start to finish. Lisa Gardner writes so well, that at no point did I feel that this was not a stand alone novel. I would highly recommend this book as I couldn’t put it down. In fact I’m so excited to go back and read more from this series.
Why have I not discovered the DD Warren series before?

I had read two books by Lisa Gardner before and had her name down on my list of authors that I need to read more of. However, this is the first in the DD Warren series that I have read and am amazed that it is the 10th in this series. Despite this, I read this book as a stand-alone story, and it made no difference to my enjoyment of the plot which was quite brilliant, full of twists and turns and made a 10-hour flight to Miami go by in no time!

It begins with the killing of Evie Carter’s husband Earl, in his study. Evie is found with the gun in her hand but is adamant that she was shooting her husband’s computer to erase some disturbing content. We then discover that 16 years before, Evie’s father, a famous professor has been killed in a shotgun accident. Evie confessed to this murder but now is saying she only wanted to preserve her father’s reputation as in reality he committed suicide. So is Evie a double murderer, a single murderer or not a murderer at all?

This is the scenario that confronts Detective DD Warren, and the plot only thickens when Earl Hopkins, on the surface, a window salesman is discovered to have hidden cash as well as various fake driving licences.

Flora Dane is a confidential informant of DD Warren, she is still recovering from a time when she was kidnapped and held by a long distance lorry driver, Jacob Ness, for 472 days using her for sex and treating her terribly. She helps to overcome the horror of her past by assisting DD with her cases when it involves other people who have had traumatic experiences. However, the case becomes more personal when Flora realises that she had met Earl before when she was in a sleazy bar with her kidnapper. She thinks that he was trying to help her but is not sure why he would have known Jacob. Was Earl a good or bad person?

FBI agent, Kimberley Quincy, who was responsible for rescuing Flora from Jacob also becomes involved in the case as there is a possibility that Jacob had abducted and killed other women.

The author weaves all the various strands together and tells the story from multiple characters points of view to the very satisfying conclusion. I now have to find the time to try and read some of the previous books in this series!

Dexter

Breakaway Reviewers received a copy of the book to review
Lightning never strikes twice, does it? So what is the odds that one woman can be involved in two different shooting incidents, claim to be innocent in both, and be freed both times.... This is the conundrum that DD and her team has to deal with in this thrilling read.  I love Lisa's books, and just love the no-nonsense-attitude that DD has in live!!
Highly recommended!
Evie Carter was shocked to her core at what she encountered on her arrival home from work. But it was what she did immediately afterwards that had the police arresting her and putting her in jail. Even her pregnancy wasn’t enough to keep Evie out of a cell.

Detective D.D. Warren arrived at the scene, recognized Evie and knew this one would be a puzzle. She decided, as well as her murder squad, she needed the help of her CI – Flora Dane. Flora was still recovering from her own traumatic past, but she was a great CI. It was when she realized she knew the victim that DD was investigating, that her past came rushing back. Was there a connection to the past of six years ago – plus another past of sixteen years ago – to the current investigation? It seemed too bizarre for the murder team to contemplate. But DD loved crazy – this was right down her alley!

With a tech civilian, an FBI agent (nice to see you again Kimberly) a CI, and her team, DD knew she’d never had a squad quite so different. But would it work?

Never Tell by Lisa Gardner is another brilliant episode in the Detective DD Warren series (#10) and I loved it. Lisa Gardner knows how to tie the reader in knots; keep the heart pumping and the trickle of hints flowing nicely. It was great to have Flora front and centre again and catch up with SSA Kimberly Quincy. DD and Kimberly work together well. I’m really looking forward to the next installment in this series. Highly recommended.

With thanks to NetGalley and Random House UK for my digital ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.
Lisa Gardner’s novel Never Tell seems to develop along the lines of  Marmion by Walter Scott:

Oh, what a tangled web we weave
When first we practise to deceive!

It’s a fast paced thriller where we see consequences played out from early falsehoods. Some interesting characters too.

Shooting out a laptop in a small home office is definitely not recommended unless you want to be acquainted with Ric O’Chet.. Why do people presume Morse code can be ‘tapped’ out by simple percussion? Morse has defined intervals for both ‘dits’ and ‘dahs’ and the spaces in between. A ‘tap’ cannot be lengthened.

So, other than a few niggles, a great page turner and I enjoyed it.
This book started slowly but as it was so well written you soon wanted to know more about the characters. Evie is haunted by her past, DD is the canby detective, Flora, a survivor of great horrors. The story centres around Evie,s life and that of her parents. Having believed she had killed her father since she was 16 years old get life had always been somewhat understated. Events reveal the truth and she learns to enjoy her life.
Never Tell is the  10th book in the Sergeant D.D. Warren series by Lisa Gardner .Told from three different perspectives it is an excellent psychological thriller with lots of secrets and twists and turns  that kept me up all night trying to finish it. An engrossing entertaining read which I would highly recommend to all psychological thriller lovers
WOW WOW AND EVEN MORE WOW. I have always enjoyed Lisa Gardner’s books so was eagerly looking forward to reading this one and boy it didn’t disappoint.

Great plot, great characterisation, tightly written with a tension that is exquisite.

A brilliant five star read. Can’t wait for the next one.
I was sent a copy of Never Tell by Lisa Gardner to read and review by NetGalley.
Wow! What a page turner this novel turned out to be!  It’s fast paced with lots of twists and turns and full of drama.  Plenty of well drawn characters populate the pages with some chapters written in first person some in third person.  Set primarily in Boston the story weaves together several different cases, old and new, that are being investigated.  The author cleverly ties together the different elements creating a totally unputdownable thriller.  This is my first experience of Lisa Gardner’s writing and I can’t wait to search out more!
Another brilliant book by Lisa gardner really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more from this author
I couldn’t get enough of this book. First time I have read a book by this author but I enjoyed the pace and the characters, albeit a little unrealistic but nothing too out there.
A story with so many angles it could at times be a book to really concentrate on. I was really pleased as well to find all the main characters were female, but also had depth, it was a nice change for crime, mystery genre.
I will certainly be checking out more of this author would recommend this book, particularly if you’re a fan of Karen Rose, James Patterson etc
Terrific and action packed book full of twists and turns on every page! The characters were alive and I couldn’t determine who was innocent and who guilty. Did Evie shoot her father and then repeat the same crime years later? If yes can she get away with it twice? Brilliantly written and highly recommended!
What a splendid tale Lisa Gardner tells. Full of nuances, beautifully crafted characters and a plot to die for! You will likely do as I did and decide, several times, that you have worked out who did what to whom but I will posit that you will not have done so. The solution to discovering who did what and to whom is to lock yourself away from the world until you discover the truth - you will be glad that you did; it is that sort of book.
I love reading anything by Lisa Gardner! A real fan. I have followed all the DD Warren stories and it has gotten better and better. Never Tell did not disappoint. Beautifully written with many twists and turns that kept me guessing throughout. Even the ending was unexpected. I cannot wait for another installment in the DD Warren series and Flora Dane series. She is proving to be quite the heroine!
What a masterful story this turned out to be. I couldn't put it down, it was so compelling; a couple of late nights that were well worth it! It was fairly obvious to me early on, that the accused was not guilty of the crimes, but I certainly did not predict the character that actually was!  With plenty of action, and twists and turns along the way, it was a thoroughly exciting and enjoyable read. Highly recommended.
Thank you Netgalley, the Publishers and of course, Lisa Gardner for this ARC.
Another great read from Lisa. The story is played out from the viewpoint of three women - Evie, Flora and D.D.
Evie at 16 accidentally killed her father and now many years later admits to killing her husband. D.D. is the detective who worked the first cas and is now working the second case and Flora is her Confidential Informer.all three have great personalities and stories and the intertwining of these has been magnificently written.  Flora is a recovering victim of being abducted, kept in a wooden coffin box a lot of the time and finds life difficult adjusting.
Throughout the story the reader is led to many different possibilities of what really did happen in both murders by introducing new aspects right up until the ending.
A fantastic book that I would highly recommend to anyone who likes this genre.
A book that begins with many questions, and then adds more and more.  It is quite a convoluted plot, bringing together many strands. However it is exciting enough to keep up a cracking pace, and so maintains our interest.  Some of the characters seem a little two dimensional, but the main ones are well drawn.
A good, pacy read.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the ARC
#Nevertell #Netgalley. A 16 year old girl admits to shooting her father years ago, 16 years later she's arrested for shooting her husband. Now fighting for answers to both shootings. Evie and DD need to work together to get to the truth.
There are many female characters within the story that are strong and have their own Arcs. I enjoyed the narrative and the twists in and out of what was happening. The author keeps you guessing, but gives you enough to make assumptions. This is book 10 of the DD Warren series, but I didn't feel I missed anything as this was my first read of hers. I don't think you have to read all of the others to catch on.
My reading of Lisa Gardner's DD Warren series has been shockingly inconsistent. In fact I was surprised it'd been three years since I read Find Her, in which we first meet Flora, former kidnap victim turned vigilante... who's since become DD's confidential informant.

Flora's back in this outing with someone else from DD's past.

his book unfolds from the points of view of all three lead females. Interestingly (as I'd noticed this in Find Her) from Evie and Flora's points of view in first person, but third person from DD's.

Gardner didn't include much from DD's private life in this book, though she does bounce ideas off crime-scene specialist husband Alex.

I started off a little confused as the book opens with Evie arriving home feeling on edge or nervous. I assumed something had already occurred or there was some big secret / reason to dread coming home, but it's not the case. I wish I'd realised that sooner as I'd been waiting to find out where exactly she was coming home from or waiting to uncover some sordid secret she'd been keeping. (Well, other than the obvious....)

Either way, her husband's body greets her and - thankfully the whole 'did she do it?' thing isn't drawn out as there's evidence that clears her. Subsequent crimes also make it kinda obvious there's something bigger at play.

We get hints of that via Flora who recognises Evie's husband from her days in captivity. It feels like Evie shows mostly antipathy towards her husband Conrad so it's easy for readers to see him as a villain of sorts, with secrets Evie feels she needs to keep.

And then there's the original case from sixteen years earlier, in which Evie 'accidentally' killed her father. She wasn't charged. Her devastation and shock was obvious and even now the maths genius / professor seems to have been idolised equally by both his wife and his daughter.

I liked that the case took an unexpected turn and Conrad, Evie's husband, was not who he seemed to be. I mean, that was obvious, but Gardner took us in an entirely different direction.

I should mention - for fans of Gardner's work - FBI agent Kimberley Quincy pops up here, looking for links between the murder of Conrad and Flora's kidnapper. It's a chance to unpick that storyline a little more and touches on other potential victims (before Flora).
## A new author to me but a quick look on Amazon showed a prolific writer and this is book 10 in the Detective D D Warren series, although book 9 and this book are not published as books 9 and 10, maybe the thinking is that having book 9/10 on a cover for some readers ( inc me has to be said ) would be maybe too much of a back story to get to grips with ( I may be totally on the wrong track there!! ) however it has to be said that this is a book in its own right and even though its Book 10 there is only the briefest mentions of any back story in it ##

13 years ago Evie is found with a gun, her Dad is dead, it was accidental

Now Evie is again found with a gun, this time her husband is dead....she claims she didn’t kill him, either!

And so starts a great adventure as told by Evie, Detective DD and Flora ( Flora is the 3rd main character in the story, she was held captive for 6 years by an evil predator and her experiences help in hard to ‘fathom out’ cases ) each of the 3 take turns to narrate and tell how the story is progressing from their angle....we are also introduced to a plethora of other cast including a functioning alcoholic Mum of Evie,and a dark web expert/true crime buff and investigator  amongst others, all adding vital ingredients to make this a true meal of a book!
Its a busy book, lots happens, quickly and the ‘mood’ changes rapidly and it can appear slightly chaotic but once you embrace if and get involved the fast paced excitement is contagious and carries you through
Its has equal adventure and thriller and crime procedure but this is explained well and doesn’t drag on and the information given is relevant and helps you build your own picture as to what could have happened....I didn’t have a clue tbh until all was revealed and I liked the book even more for that!
A punchy  book written with gusto and read with enjoyment