Cover Image: Beau and Bett

Beau and Bett

Thank you NetGalley for the eARC.

I love Beauty and Beast and when I read the title I was really excited to read this book. This book revolves around Beau and Bett. The blurb gives away most of the story so I won't be talking much about the blurb. After Beau LeFrancois's mother wrecks Bett Diaz’s luxury SUV, his family faces an impossibly large bill—with no car insurance to help pay it. To pay off the debt, Beau spends his weekends working at the Diaz Ranch. Beau’s prepared to work, but he’s definitely not prepared for the infamous temper of Bett Diaz, also known as "The Beast" at school. As Beau learns the secrets behind Bett’s tough exterior, he finds himself falling for her . . . until he catches Bett in a lie.

The writing style is simple but it is not that great. The characters have not been developed properly. It is hard to connect with them. The plot isn't something out of the box. Sadly, I did not enjoy this as much as I thought I would.

It was a one time read for me and I would not recommend it.
Beau and Bett by Kathryn Berla was a unique retelling of Beauty and the Beast focusing on friendship and building trust and I can't wait to read more Kathryn Berla
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read and review this title. I will review this title at a different date.
I was so exited for this. Then I tried to read it a few times. I actually tried. But the characters didn't grip me, the story was flat for me and I'm so sorry about it.
I think it’s time to admit I’m not going to finish this one. I’m at about 45% and I don’t see myself finishing. This is a DNF unfortunately.
The thing is, I love retellings. They’re some of my favorite genres to read! But they can also be such a hit and miss. And if there’s one retelling I’m always skeptical to start it’s always a contemporary non-fantastical retelling of Beauty and the Beast. And why is that? Because in these retellings, the beast usually turns out to be just a misunderstood semi-bully??? And it’s missing the whole ACTUAL beastly part to it’s personality. So usually the reason why that person is so “beastly” is not because they were wronged by a curse and turned into a raging beast- but because they have some kind of traumatic past. Which can be good... but it needs to be incorporated into the story well.
Anyway, I’m always a bit hesitant to pick a contemporary retelling of it.
And when I saw the initial rating this one had on Goodreads I was even more scared. But I wanted to believe I would be the exception. I wanted to like it. But alas, I didn’t.
So what made me DNF? Well, lack of interest in continuing as a first. But also, I didn’t care for any of the characters. I thought they were boring. The male MC, which I think was names Beau(?), was boring. His circumstances were I guess relatable? But honestly he seemed to be a bit judgmental and annoying. Also, I don’t get how he was the “beauty” part of the retelling if he was an unpopular guy that was probably (can’t remember to save my life) not the prettiest to say the least...
As for the MC girl... all I remember from her was that she was not so horrible??? Like, all she seemed to be is a spoiled rich girl, but horrible and beastly? Nope. Not at least until the part I read. And Beau seemed to judge her pretty harshly.
The romance. Well, I didn’t read the whole book obviously- but by the part I reached, there wasn’t romance just yet. BUT, Beau was already thinking of Bett. And I don’t get how he went from 0 to 100 so quickly? Like, he disliked her from the beginning for her attitude, but then he finds himself thinking of her when he’s not around her so quickly. It felt rushed and forced and I didn’t get that jump.
Honestly, I picked up this book because I was interested in the concept of a gender bent retelling of BATB... but I didn’t end up liking it unfortunately.
Seeing that this was a modern Beauty and the Beast retelling, I was extremely excited to read it. More excited when I figured out that it had genderbent roles! Ah only if the book lived up to that excitement.

Bett's character was very boring. I couldn't sympathise with her and did not feel anything for her, really. I could not understand her motives, her feelings. She was just a lost cause, doing random stuff at random times.

For one, I could not understand why she was called the 'Beast' at her school. The reason seemed pretty obnoxious and totally stupid. I see what the author wanted to do there; to show how beauty is all in the eye of the beholder, but that simply did not work in this book. And this reason really ticked off a star for me. Why was she feared? Hated? Why was she the beast? There was no concrete answer.

Beau's character arc wasn't so good either, but he was likeable. I liked his determination but also found him very stupid. He was confusing too. I wish there were more scenes with his family because I really loved them. Needless to say, I saw no apparent development in the characters, and the side characters were just there.

I felt like the whole story got messed up, and that the author did not plan much. Somehow, it lost the essence of a Beauty and the Beast retelling, and I felt terribly bored.

The ending was, of course, predictable. It was a mixture of cliche and swoon for me, with more of eye rolls. It felt more like a typical Wattpad romance book for me. It was an okay read though; enjoyable and fast paced.

Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review. All views expressed are fully mine.
I love Beauty and the Beast very much. So when I saw a modern day retelling of my favorite Disney I know I'd to read it and I did. But the twist is Bett is the Beast here. It's a sweet story with good amount of romance. It's an okay read for me. The story could've been made better. The cover is simple and beautiful.
It's the perfect time to read a contemporary book. Go for it.
Kathlyn Berla has done it again! I don’t know what is it about her writing that flows like butter. This was such a cute read. Fast paced , the relationship developed slow enough to be enjoyable but not so slow that became boring. It was a very cute read that I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a short book to read on a summer day.
Even thought I didn’t feel like beauty and the beast retailing it felt more like a regular contemporary YA .
I really liked it .
I love a good beauty and the beast retelling and I’m always pleasantly surprised when the girl is considered the beast. I really like Beau throughout the story and definitely grew to like Bett. I did feel like the end was a little rushed but over all enjoyed this one!
I received an ARC of Beau and Bett from Net Galley in exchange of an honest review.

I love retellings of classic literature and fairytales, but this one missed the mark completely. This book was a DNF for me. I tried to stick it out, but Bett "the Beast" was a whiny, egotistical, brat. There was no redemption of Bett's character as we typically see in Beauty and the Beast retellings. The only positive of this book was a female was the Beast in this story. Typically I love those retellings where the author swaps the main characters' genders, but this one did not hit the mark.
Thank you Netgalley and publisher for the early copy.

I could not connect with the writing style/plot and decided to put it down. Thanks for the chance to review it.
An entertaining book with an important message underneath. The story itself was nothing spectacular, but I think the message that it carried is very important. Namely, not just judging people by how they act, because there usually is a reason for why they act in a specific way. The characters were fun to read about, so was the plot. But as I already said, it was nothing spectacular. The story was told solely from Beau's perspective, but I think the story would've gotten more depth if it was also told from Bett's perspective.
The blurb said it's a retelling of the Beauty and the Beast. I half expecting it to be cheesy and predictable. I did get surprised once, but that's really it. It's a cute plot and the characters are cute.
This book was very good, I read it in two days with absolutely no want to set it down. I recommend this to anyone looking for a truly awesome story!
A cute retelling of the classic Beauty and the Beast with a little twist and gender role reversal in this novel! It was a quick read that I finished in one sitting!
I was underwhelmed by this.

There's been some dialogue that has made me bored, they've spent a whole page talking about worldly things that don't really move the plot forward. The story seemed to move forward while dragging along at the same time.

I have found this to be a modern retelling, not dependent on the use of magical realism. Not that I don't like magical realism, but that seems to be the only way to recreate a modern beauty and the beast retelling.
I could see the potential twist that Bett is the beast and Beau is the Male version of Belle was interesting but the chractures lacked emotion Beau chractire was the only one that went on the journey. Its told from Beau perspective but could of been told from both.did not warm to Betts chracture at all. Such a shame as it sounded great but just lacked that magic  found it problematic as well. Thanks to Netgally and the Author for letting me read and review in exchange for a honest review.
I didn't not enjoy this book. I really thought i would enjoy it because it's a Beauty and the beast retelling but I just didn't enjoy the writing.
This book was a lovely modern beauty and the beast retelling. The characters were easily likable, and well-written. There wasn't a lot of character development, but it still was nice to see them grow a little throughout the book. This book was mostly a cute, fun read and I'd definitely recommend it to people who like retellings. The beauty-and-the-beast-vibe was mostly from a certain character, so don't go in this expecting a full-on accurate retelling. The cover is gorgeous and leaves lots of imagination.
Another modern retelling; this one is obviously Beauty and The Beast inspired. I think the author did a good when it came to writing this. I was pleasantly surprised that the roles were reversed and that the main protagonist was male. While the “beast” was a girl.  This was a thrilling way to recreate a story that we know.