Cover Image: Dead Inside

Dead Inside

This blurb really caught my interest and its written in such a way that it gives you a real insight into the thinking of both the abuser and the victim. For me it really opened my eyes to a lot of unanswered questions that someone who would have no experience of this type of situation but can only try to understand might have. I would have liked a bit more going on throughout the book to grip me but once you get to the last 1/4 of the book it started to take off and really grabbed my interest. Really liked Lucy as a character and the differences in her as a person within her work life and personal life. Considering it’s a book series based on DC Maggie Jameson I would have thought she’d figure a lot more then she did. A real plus for me was not having the killer pegged so it added an element of surprise.

Thanks to Netgalley and Harper Impulse & Killer Reads for the opportunity to read this ARC and review that was published on the 31st of May.
This is an epic read. Read in one sitting, I started this at lunchtime and finished it that night
Although it’s the first in a new Maggie Jamieson  police series the main character Lucy grabs your attention and keeps you hooked until the very end. A brilliantly written book that deals with the very difficult subject of domestic violence. Brilliant ending and believable interesting characters that are sure to keep this series a must read
I am going to try my best to keep this review to the point because this entire read is an experience you don’t want to miss!

Maggie Jamieson is an investigator, and her next case involves three domestic abuse offenders found beaten to death.

The main suspect? Lucy Sherwood, a probation officer tied to all three victims. Well, the spotlight really shines on her after her husband is found murdered, and he’s a known abuser as well.

Is Lucy guilty? Will Maggie be able to protect the next victim by finding the murderer?

Dead Inside is tightly written and tautly paced! The suspense starts from the very first page and never lets go. Stemming from the author’s experience and inside knowledge as a probation officer, Lucy’s perspective felt so real completely authentic.

Overall, Dead Inside is a dark police thriller that leaves you feeling unsettled, draws on all your emotions, and completely enthralls you from beginning to end. I read this book in one sitting because I could not put it down until I found out if Lucy was guilty or not. Well-done, Noelle! I’m ready for number two now!

I received a complimentary copy. All opinions are my own.
Absolutely enjoyed from start to finish, u didn't want the book to end. Highly recommended, if you like books that keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat.
Wow! This is an unbelievable debut novel.Right from the start it grabbed my attention and didn’t let go until the end.

It’s got a very arresting opening, and from then on, it’s an absolute page-turner.

Lucy is a complex character, she’s intelligent and strong, not the sort of person you’d expect to end up trapped in a relationship with a man like Patrick. But of course, these things are complicated and we begin to understand her more as the book progresses.

I liked Maggie, though we don’t get to know her very well just yet.

I was intrigued by the whole criminal justice process, and the probation service, and it’s clear to see the author’s great knowledge in this area.

The pace of the novel is perfect, with a build up of tension the whole way.

This book is gritty and chilling. An absolute must-read for anyone who likes a good psychological thriller.
This is a crime procedural/thriller with domestic abuse at the center and  the characters are either abusers, victims or police so I found the first half of it rather dry with so much detail and  with so many characters being introduced but the pace soon picked up and I finished the second half quickly.  While I figured out the killer  I really appreciated the police process and  it was fascinating to see how the investigation actually happens.
This is a thought-provoking and suspenseful novel that addresses the theme of abuse. The protagonists of the story are women who, despite being strong and determined, have fallen victims of abuse from their partners. I liked that the author narrates the story from the points of view of the victims, of their abusers, and the police that often finds itself unable to stop the abuse. The characters feel authentic and the story is heart-breaking with some of the details hard to read. Well-written and well-researched, this is a brilliant debut from an author to watch out for.
Dead inside by Noelle Holten.
Wow wow. A fantastic read with some great characters.  Love how shell Baker and Sarah Hardy were in the book.
I didn't like Patrick or Robert at all.
I was surprised who the killer was.
This is a great debut from Noelle Holten.  I hope she writes more fabulous books. 5*.
Dead Inside is the debut novel from Noelle Holton, and it’s a real cracker of a book. As soon as I started reading it, I was immediately drawn into the story and found that I just couldn’t put it down racing through it in a day. Drawing on her knowledge of the probation system, Noelle made the main character seem real and it also meant that she didn’t shy away from anything. This is not your typical police procedural book as although the police are there, the focus really is on Lucy who works for the probation service. Usually the probation officer is a bit player in most books of this type, so it was a refreshing change to see the profession take centre stage and for the police to be the supporting cast. You have to feel for her as despite dealing with abuse victims and their abusers on a daily basis she is unable to extricate herself from her own domestic issues. As it starts to affect both her personal and professional life you do have to wonder where it will all end. Her husband was totally unlikeable, but he is the master manipulator. To the outside world he is a really nice person yet behind closed doors only Lucy sees the reality but has become an expert at hiding it, to do anything else would make her feel weak. His only redeeming quality (such as it is) is his love for his children, but then again that could change as they got older.
As the book progresses and the links between some murders and Lucy herself become more apparent you do wonder if maybe she is taking her revenge on some of her nastier clients or if it really is just one really bad coincidence.  With an intriguing plot and complex and believable characters I look forward to what comes next from this exiting author.
Lucy is a probation officer who works with domestic abuse perpetrators. What her colleagues don't realise, is that she is also a DA victim. She hides it well. The trouble comes when her clients begin dying. She is the natural person for the police to suspect. The book is the first in a series featuring the character of Maggie, I'm looking forward to the next.
This book was so well written! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time and sometimes quite literally. The characters and storyline were believable, real, and raw. I can't wait to read more from Noelle Holten!
My Review
I always find it so exciting when a new crime series comes out and most especially when it's from a debut author......
As a reader, you are full of anticipation for this new series and what lays ahead..
The pure thrill of knowing that there are plenty more books coming in the series, I love it.
You become so invested in a series and it's characters don't you.....
In "Dead Inside" the first in author Noelle Holten's new series, we meet DC Maggie Jamieson and probation officer Lucy Sherwood...
This is where I think this series has edged slightly ahead of others....
The author has brought her experience as a probation officer to the table and it works brilliantly making sure it's not just your normal police procedural type of crime series.
I must say I loved her character Lucy....
She's hard working and well able to handle herself.
DC Maggie Jamieson works to solve a number of murders of domestic abusers and this is where she calls on Lucy's help. They are all her clients....
Domestic abuse is at the forefront of this debut  novel. It's heartbreaking to see Lucy work as a probation officer on abuse cases and then go home to a husband who abuses her.
How hard must it be to keep this awful secret to herself and still find the strength to carry on every day for the sake of her children.
Noelle has dealt with this topic with a great sensitivity and understanding.
Her style of writing is superb, her storyline unique and quite interesting.
I can't wait to read her next one...
Well worth investing your time in this series 💕
5☆ Authentic, Page Turner, Highly Recommend!

Wow what a read! Hard to believe it's a Debut!
Dead Inside is a pacy, gritty, at times dark Domestic Crime mystery that kept me on my toes!

DC Maggie Jamieson is new to the Domestic Team (DAHU) and has been tasked to help solve the case of who has been killing off Domestic Abusers.
I mean it's not like I cared that they was being popped off.

Lucy is a Probation officer and finds herself in the thick of the investigation as she has connections to all three murder victims.
But what really is her connection?

This is Noelle's Debut Novel but you wouldn't know that. But what is very clear is that she pulls on her job experience to make this book Authentic, Suspensful, Dark and utterly Compelling.
I always find that the best Thrillers are those who use life experiences, ie police force etc..

Dead Inside is the first book is a new series and I can't wait for more!
There are some sensitive subjects such as abuse and violence but Noelle has handled them with the right amount of sensitivity to still make a powerful impact.

Dead Inside is a Highly Compelling, Gritty, Suspenseful and Pacy read I couldn't put down.
The police procedural was Authentic, the plot perfectly written with cleverly plotted twists and turns that kept me intrigued.
The're are alot of Characters but they are strong, well developed and all fitted in seamlessly.

So if you are looking for a Authentic, Gritty, Powerful New Police Procedural, Crime Fiction Series, Then I Highly Recommend Dead Inside!

Thank you to Sarah at Book On The Bright Side and Killer Reads for this copy which I reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
Wow, what a powerful read.  It deals with a very hard to read topic - domestic abuse, and the influence it has not only on the victim, but the rest of their families and friends.  Lucy features mainly in this book, being abused by Patrick.  She deals with the abusers through a work daily, but somehow never seem to get around to getting rid of Patrick - for various reasons that the reader discovers throughout the book.  Then a serial killer starts getting rid of the scum, and Lucy becomes involved with this, involuntarily.  This was a great novel by a really talented debut author, and I can't wait to read some more of ms Holten's work in future. Highly recommended.
Dead Inside was one of my top anticipated reads of 2019. When I finally got my hands on it I couldn’t put it down!First of all, it’s hard to believe this is Noelle’s debut novel. The writing is crisp, detailed, and on point. I love that the chapters are short as it heightened the suspense factor.
My only criticism of the book is the very beginning. If you are familiar with book bloggers then you will recognize some of the characters’ names. While I thought it was nice that she used familiar people, it was also a distraction for me. It also seemed that a new character was being introduced every chapter. It was a little difficult to keep everyone straight at first.
The story itself was creative and fresh. While the subject matter is very dark, it doesn’t distract from the great story. This is the first police procedural I’ve read that involves a probation officer. I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about the ins and outs of the job.
Overall, Dead Inside is a fantastic debut novel. It is very fast-paced and a terrific read. I cannot wait for book number 2!
Sometimes before I review a book I glance over other people’s reviews. There’s been quite a few for this book where people have loved it and also where people have been surprised and educated about the impact of domestic abuse. I’m not going to say either of those things for reasons which will become clear.

I will admit, it took me a bit of time to get into the story, there are a lot of characters to keep track of and, at times, I felt there were too many although killing some off did help with that! The pace of the story was good and once I got further into it it was easier to keep track of who was who and what was going on and then, after a few events the pace picked up again and I couldn’t put it down.

I had mixed feelings about some of the characters, but in a story like I think that’s a good thing. It dealt well with people’s perception and thoughts about domestic abuse both from those who had experienced it and those on the outside who didn’t understand what it was like. This is ideal as it is exactly how society is, domestic abuse and those who experience it are not fully understood by people who have little to no knowledge of it, and I speak from personal experience. I got out of my situation but I can understand why it is so hard to leave and hard for those outside to not understand why people don’t leave sooner, or at all.

Although this is the first in the Maggie Jamieson series it does focus more on Lucy so we don’t get a lot of depth on Maggie but there is enough to get a bit of understanding of her character. It’ll be interesting in future books to see that develop and learn more about her. The other thing I enjoyed about this book was the insight into the probation service. I know a reasonable amount about police work from other books and TV but probation work isn’t usually covered so it was good to read something with a different focus.

For a new series, this book got it off to a good start and it’ll be interesting to see where it goes next and how/if the characters we’ve already met fit into the future books. Definitely one to keep an eye on!
A sensitive and well written novel, dealing with the dark subject of domestic abuse. I found it quite brutal in places, but it proved to be a thought-provoking read. Maybe a bit too realistic for my liking, but if you like your fiction to be hard hitting, you will most likely enjoy this.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Dead Inside by Noelle Holten is a book about domestic violence. It shows views from both the perpetrators, the victims and the law enforcement involved in the various cases. The main character is Lucy, a probation officer working with a team centered around domestic violence. Lucy is good a keeping her home and professional life secret but it all comes to a head when her worlds collide.

An interesting read and I loved the ending. This book may be triggering to readers who have witnessed or experienced domestic violence.
Dead Inside is the first book of the DC Maggie Jamieson series but interestingly it is focused mostly on the story of a probation officer, Lucy Sherwood. Lucy deals with domestic abuse cases as a part of her work. Yet she is dealing with her an abusive marriage with her husband Patrick. Meanwhile, DC Maggie Jamieson is dealing with mysterious serial killings of domestic abuse offenders and knows that she is facing her toughest case yet.

The book was less of a police procedural and more of a dark dramatic thriller. Through the central character, Lucy Sherwood, the author paints an authentic picture of the probation service and its role in managing dangerous criminals and abusers. The author’s long experience as a probation officer clearly shows and it adds great degree of authenticity to the story.

The story takes us deep into the world of domestic violence and abusive relationships. More than a story, it’s a character study of both perpetrators and victims of domestic violence. We see Lucy’s life slowly crumble as Patrick makes her life a living hell. You get depressed and at times, frustrated at Lucy’s inability to take any action. But in a way, it also reflection of real life, as we realise why so many real-life victims suffer abusive relationships silently. There is also a serial killer case on a parallel track but the story is much more than a murder mystery.

The writing was compelling and Lucy’s story was especially disturbing. The author did well to merge both the storylines with Lucy at the center, in a very unique manner.

The story moves ahead slowly and there was a lot of chapters dedicated to getting to know new characters. The large cast of characters often slows down the story. There was not enough of the murder investigation as it remains limited mostly to some interviews and team meetings. Even Maggie Jamieson had precious little to do in the story. Instead, the story focuses a lot more on the characters and their relationships with each other. In a way, It was disappointing because the murder mystery track had much more potential.

Overall, Dead Inside is a dark thriller which tackles a really important social evil. The engaging storyline will make you want to read until the end.

Many thanks to the publishers Harper Impulse and Killer Reads and NetGalley for the ARC.
Let me start by stating this is the first and old cover of this book so don’t be confused, it now has a new gorgeous cover. This is a brilliant debut and start to a new series which I am looking forward too – DC Maggie Jamieson series.

This story will have you guessing and turning those pages to find out answers. A great team working together to solve the mysterys. Fast paced. I enjoyed reading it. There is plenty going on throughout which draws the reader in. A real who dunnit story. Brilliantly written.

A well deserved four stars from me, highly recommend. I cannot wait to see where the rest of this series takes us.