Locked in Ice

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Jan 2019

Locked in Ice is an astonishingly compelling read. The story of Fridtjof Nansen and his crew as they attempt to be the first to reach the North Pole in the nineteenth century is one that is far too little known. Peter Lourie's powerful prose matches the power of the narrative. Lourie divides the book into clear sections that are usefully illustrated with photographs as well as artwork done by the crew themselves. Lourie creates a story so compelling that young and old readers alike will be riveted. The relationships between Nansen and his wife, his crew, his dogs, and especially his crew-mate Johansen adds a depth of human interest to this story that examines how Nansen's ingenuity and intelligence enabled him to make this voyage. This story will inspire and delight readers of all ages as they learn about this neglected hero. Once again, Lourie has written a winner.
This book is well written and engaging. Written in a wonderful narrative style it's an easy read that reads like an adventure novel.
At first I was not sure if I would like Lourie's book based on the cover, but then I opened it and saw all the amazing photographs. I'm a sucker for supplementing non-fiction with photos that place me right there with them. This book surpassed all my expectations with nearly every page having an associating photo taken from their experience. The thrill and excitement of major achievements, such as Nelsen's is something that most of this generation and future generations will never know. Books like this bring the past alive and rekindle excitement about discovery and believing in oneself and your fellow explorers. The story itself may be a little boring and hard to read for younger readers, but the pictures will ignite their curiosity.

Thank you NetGalley and Macmillan for the opportunity to read an advance reader copy.