Rijel 12

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 13 Mar 2019

This is a good book. I really enjoyed it. The characters are well developed and the story is packed with action and adventure. The author does a great job delivering a story with a solid plot and interesting subplots.
Publishing Date: November 2018

Publisher: Chandra

ISBN: 9781949964028

Genre: SciFi

Rating: DNF

Publisher’s Description: The remote Intergalactic Penal Colony on the planet Rijel 12 is a very profitable enterprise. Its desolate surface is an uninhabitable wasteland relentlessly scorched by its sun, but inside the planet is a vast treasure trove of the most precious resources in the galaxy.

Prisoners sentenced to Rijel 12 know it’s a one-way ticket. It used to be a convict would serve their time and come home. That stopped a while ago. Inmates are forced to work the mines in wretched conditions and the death rate is staggering. Luckily for the warden, new inmates arrive monthly to replenish the labor pool. Business has never been better.

Review: I had a hard time finishing this novel, so I didn’t. I thought the lengthy explanations and exhaustive backstory would subside in favor of the characters interacting in real time. Sadly, the story line is lost in the clutter of lengthy setups to each scene. Additionally the poor Science part of the Fiction is lacking as well. A mining planet that the overseers somehow pump oxygen into, so that the miners can survive, is never adequately explained as are many other instances.
As I began this novel it seemed as though I had mistakenly taken up a YA book. The author has a penchant for using silly almost childish names for alien species and individuals. Hard to see what the point of this is. This is written very much like a historical background to a greater world history. This is a good premise for a story but the author strays and uses long conversational dialoges that are unnecessary.
Six allied planets, including Earth, operate a brutal prison mining planet à la Star Trek's Rura Penthe. All their criminals end up serving a life sentence, regardless of whether they deserve it or not.
Architeuthis is the spiritual leader of the prisoners. He convinces his fellow inmates to start a rebellion. They are at a massive disadvantage, so they will have to work hard and outsmart their opponents at every turn. And after they gain freedom, how will they survive on their hostile planet?

Reijel 12 reads like a fictional history documentary about enslaved beings from different planets coming together as one people, despite all their differences, to overthrow their keepers and form their own society.
Despite the dark themes, it is motivational and full of hope, in a similar spirit of inter-species collaboration I so love from Star Trek, but it gets a bit dull at times. It is a slow meandering tale, the opposite of action-packed, despite being full of rebellion and space piracy.
The prose is simple and to the point, which contrasts sharply with the long and often unpronounceable names of the different aliens.

An interesting tale that felt much longer than it probably was. If you like a slow epic full of shady men with dark pasts doing whatever it takes to create their own thriving society from the dredges of slavery, Rijel 12 is the book for you.
Excellent sci fi world-builder

I opened this book expecting more of a space opera but what I got was a serious science fiction novel.

I thought the space opera was what I wanted to read right then but I was wrong - I became thoroughly engrossed in this book quickly.

This book is a long, intricately woven story. It starts with criminals from six sentient populations across the universe (including humans) being sent to serve their sentences on the prison planet Rijel 12. At first, prisoners serve their sentences and then are sent back to their home planets. But after a while they ended up being used as slave labor in the mines on Rijel 12 and dying there.

This is a story of rebellion, battle tactics, brotherhood, group dynamics, leadership, and freedom. The story spans many years and features many interesting characters.

I enjoyed it very much and highly recommend it.

I received this book from Chandra Press and the Independent Book Publishers Association through Net Galley in the hopes that I would read it and leave an unbiased review.
A racous science fiction adventure.  I'm always on the look out for new sci-fi authors and I was not disappointed with King Everett Medlin.  This was a highly entertaining read.