A Promise to the Dead (Detectives King and Lane Book 4)

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 Jan 2019

Title :A Promise to the Dead

Series: Detectives King & Lane book 4

Author : Victoria Jenkins

Bookouture

Genre: Mystery

Jan 21 2019

Pages:

The blur of shapes began to sharpen, forming a clear picture that stood out against the darkened background. For a moment he couldn’t move, his fear rendering him immobile. He needed help. He turned to run.

Called to the scene, Detective Alex King and her team soon see some terrifying links – to another local young man who is missing, and to the discovery of a body from 30 years ago.

Alex knows that the missing and the dead have a story to tell her. But will she hear it in time to uncover the killer before they strike again?

My thoughts

rating: 4,5

would I recommend it? yes

Would I read the rest of the series? yes

Would I read anything else by this author? yes

this is the 4 book in the series and its been a while since I've read book 1 but i had no trouble getting back in to the story at all , there is more then what it seems going , and once you start to read it your hooked with that said I want to thank Netgalley for letting me read it and review it as well.
In the middle of a dark night, taking a short cut to get home, Matthew and Stacey run out of gas.  The next morning Stacey is found dead and Matthew is nowhere to be found.

Another young man has disappeared .. no sign of him anywhere.  And then there's the body of yet another young man ... only he died and was buried under a concrete patio around 30  years ago.

Detectives Alex King and Chloe Lane certainly have their hands full. Families are worried sick, some are grieving, and some are angry that the police don't seem to be doing anything.

This is the fourth ... and final ... book in this series.  Although it is easily read as a stand alone, I highly recommend starting at the very beginning.  The female detectives are solidly defined and there is a nice balance of professional and personal lives.  The rest of the team lend credibility to the story telling.

Many thanks to the author / Bookouture / Netgalley for the digital copy of this police procedural.  Opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
My first experience of Victoria Jenkins, and it was a totally enjoyable one.  I loved this book.  From the first page I was hooked and couldn't read fast enough to find out what was happening!  Well recommended!
This is the 4th book in the series
And like the others it’s a great read.
Fascinating characters and interesting threads make this a great book.
This is a thrilling and compelling which moves at a fast pace. It has some twists along the way to keep you guessing
Great read. The author wrote a story that was interesting and moved at a pace that kept me engaged. The characters were easy to invest in.
Thankyou to NetGalley, Bookouture and the author, Victoria Jenkins, for the opportunity to read a digital copy of  A Promise To The Dead in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
I love  reading this author. Her books have always provided a great, suspensful read. This book is no exception.
The storyline was well thought out and written.  The characters are well defined and realistic. There were plenty of twists and turns to keep you intrigued in this rollercoaster ride of a book.
Well worth a read.
This is the fourth book in the Detectives King and Lane series.
Victoria Jenkins just gets better and better!!
This was absolutely brilliant!!
Matthew and Stacey are driving home on a back road when they run out of petrol. Matthew goes for help!!
The next morning Detectives King and Lane are called to a scene where Stacey is dead and Matthew is Missing!!
Another local boy is Missing.
A short while later a skeleton is discovered!!
Are the cases linked??
Read on please, this is a brilliant book.
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for allowing me to read this arc.
When a young woman is found stabbed to death on a mountain road it appears to be an open and shut case especially as her boyfriend is missing … but when a body is found missing after 30 years and another person is reported missing it appears that there is more to this case than meets the eye
Can the team solve this case before the missing become another murder victim
The 4th installment in Victoria Jenkins's  King and Lane series. I haven't read the previous books and I didn't feel like I had to to enjoy this book. Stacey and her partner are driving on their way home from a night out when they run out of petrol, so he goes to try to find some leaving her safe in the car. They both end up dead who killed them and why? Detectives King and Lane investigate. Things aren't as they seem as you will soon see once you start reading this enjoyable read from Victoria Jenkins. #victoriajenkins #apromisetothedead #netgalley #goodreads #tea_sipping_bookworm #amazon
‘A Promise To The Dead’ is the fourth book in the series featuring Detectives King and Lane.  I have read and loved each of the three previous books and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a copy of ‘A Promise To The Dead’.  Well I got my hands on a copy and wowzers what a fantastic read it is.  I absolutely LOVED it but more about that in a bit.
I have to say that I love the detective pairing of King and Lane.  Detective Inspector King is the more senior one of the two.  King has been a police officer for quite a long time and the start of this book sees her looking forward to leaving the police, as she has had enough.  King is also facing big changes in her personal life too as she has decided to go ahead with adopting a child although nothing is set in stone at the moment.  King is definitely a team player and she wouldn’t ask anybody to do anything that she wouldn’t be willing to do herself.  King is particularly close to her colleague Detective Lane and it was that Lane shared a house with King for a time.  Both ladies are professional in manner, they are strong, determined and feisty.  The detective pairing works really well and both bring different skills to the table as it were.
Oh my giddy aunt, ‘A Promise To The Dead’ is one seriously fantastically written belter of a read.  The story starts with a bang and maintains the pace throughout. The author’s writing style is such that she entices you in and keeps your attention all the way through the book.  I picked the book up only intending to read the opening couple of chapters but I became so caught up in the story and the police investigation, that I was still sat there reading over a dozen chapters later.  I found ‘A Promise To The Dead’ to be simply unputdownable.  My Kindle wasn’t exactly glued to my hand but it might as well have been because it came everywhere with me.  I found every excuse I could to have a ‘duvet day’ which meant I didn’t have to leave the house and I could just read the book all day.  This didn’t go down at all well with my diva Labradors.  Oops.  I seemed to race through the story but I didn’t notice the speed with which the time passed or the pages turned.  I was gutted to get to the end of the book because I was enjoying the story, the characters and the author’s writing style so much that I just wanted the book to continue.  Reading this book was much like being on a scary and unpredictable rollercoaster ride with more twists and turns to the story than you would find on a ‘Snakes & Ladders’ board.  On more than one occasion I thought that I had worked out who was doing what and why only to realise that I had completely got the wrong end of the stick and it was somebody else entirely.
I have to say that for me, this is easily Victoria’s best book to date.  I can’t wait to read what she comes up with next.  I would definitely recommend this author and her books to other readers.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
i started this book and was really into the storyline straightaway however, it felt that the story was built up and built up only to have a really disappointing ending.

many thanks to netgalley and the publishers for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Brilliant plot, excellent main characters that you invest in.  I read this book in one sitting and I would highly recommend it.
Number four in the series. Three different main plots with lots of twists and turns and the sub plots developing nicely underneath
A good read, read in one day. The main plots all seemingly different and some decades apart all collide and a very interesting ending on the sub plot!
Thank you to Netgalley, the Publisher and the author for the opportunity to read this  book in return for my review based upon my honest opinion.

This is the 4th book in this series and although a great series, I don't feel that you would have to read them all to enjoy this book, it would be great as a stand-alone book.  That being said, it is a great series, so I would recommend reading all of the books.  I feel like Detective Lane took a backseat in this book, but it was interesting to get more details and info on Detective King and hopefully in the next book, (I hope there is a next book, don't leave us hanging) it would be nice to find out more about Chloe.  This story-line was quick paced and had lots of twists and turns.  I was shocked at the way the story played out and saddened by the events.  All in all, great book.  Looking forward to the next book in the series.
The very first thing I feel it is worth mentioning is that J have not read any other books in this series, or well, any other book by Victoria Jenkins. However, this did not impact on my reading of the book. I was still able to connect with the characters and truly enjoy the book too. So if the fact that this is the fourth book in a series might stop you from picking it up – don’t! It’s a book that you should definitely read.

The book is incredibly intense as it follows the story of a serial killer who takes girls and murders them. As a reader you’re given a small slice of how they feel and think before these things happen to them, instantly increasing the intensity of the situation. Alongside that we follow DS King and DC Lane as they try to find the murderer and deal with other issues in their lives. Victoria Jenkins does a fantastic job of pulling the reader in and keeping them turning as other moments are thrown at thrm. You keep trying to work out where everything is leading.

As mentioned above, DS King and DC Lane are our two main protagonists in this book and they’re both fantastic to read. DS King was a strong detective and I really liked their friendship with each other too. Seeing how DC Lane detiorates at the beginning of the book due to her history being brought up for her. But they were both so strong and independent. Something that is great to read about in detective novels. I also really liked the way that Victoria Jenkins brought smaller side characters into the story and made them all believable. Which is exactly what we want.

So overall this is a book that I very much enjoyed. As a note it is quite graphic in places so if you’re not into that, you might want to skim those moments. But I thought it made the book that much more intense, pulling me further into the story. I quite quickly got sucked into this story and thought it was a really entertaining read. I simply had to know where it was all going and who the murderer behind the scenes was. So everything that you want in a detective thriller book so do give this book a read!
Two young men have gone missing and a young girl has been found shot at, in a car. Detective King and DC lane have their hands full without discovering another murder victim, from 30 year ago, uncovered accidentally.

An interesting book, but it did feel very complicated. It took me a while to understand (and remember) the various characters. Not helped by the fact that both Alex King and Chloe Lane have a background story which is not touched upon but referred to. So unless you've read the previous books, you are a bit lost, like I was.

All in all, a decent read.

Thank you Netgalley and the publishers for the review copy of this book.
Netgalley introduced me to Victoria Jenkins in A Promise to the Dead, the 4th and probably last of the Detective King and Lane novels.  I can't wait to read the first three, and know that Ms. Jenkins will be adding to her hefty stack of written prose, in whatever form, and I will need to read them, as well.

Detective Inspector Alex King is pushing twenty years on the job in South Wales and considering a break.  Detective Constable Chloe Lane, her partner of several years duration, knows only that Alex is troubled but not yet willing to share her worries.  Not that there is time for personal problems - their crew is faced with the case of a murdered young woman, the forty years buried corpse of a young man uncovered as a patio is removed to accommodate a housing extension, and the
disappearances of two young  men in Cardiff, of course not within range of any CCTV. In less than a week.  Missing Matthew Lewis either murdered his girlfriend Stacey Cooper and disappeared, or was himself kidnapped or killed and his body removed from the scene.  Kieran Robinson's cell phone was found in Cardiff Bay after a night of partying, just out of range of the last CCTV.  Did he stumble into the water, or was he abducted?  Clues are spare on the ground, and the long interred corpse has haunting similarities to the cases involving  young fellows who disappeared just yesterday. Added to all that DC Jake Sullivan has put his foot in his mouth - again - and cannot seem to follow procedure no matter how many chances he is given. With a complaint against him by Kieran Robinson's sister Hannah, Jake has to be removed from the already overworked team.

Can it get any more complicated?  You bet!  This is a novel I can heartily recommend to friends and family. Victoria Jenkins is an author I will follow.

I received a free electronic copy of this excellent Wales police procedural from Netgalley, Victoria Jenkins, and Bookouture in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you all for sharing your hard work with me.
A Gripping Crime Story

Crouched to the ground, he felt himself enveloped by the darkness that surrounded him.. There was something not right about this, not at this time of the night.

A Promise to the Dead is the fourth novel in the DI Alex King and DC Chloe Lane series but can also be read as a standalone mystery.

On a dark night, on a mountain road, a young couple, Matthew and Stacey, are on their way home from a night out. Their car breaks down and Matthew leaves to look for help. By the next morning, Stacey is found murdered in the car and Matthew is missing, presumed guilty of her murder. The police soon discover another local young man who is missing, and to the discovery of a body from 30 years ago. Are all the killings isolated cases or are they somehow connected? Will DI Alex King and DC Chloe Lane be able to uncover the truth?

As a police procedural, A Promise to the Dead has the most realistic depiction of a police investigation. There are no easy clues or coincidences but several dead ends and missing links. You experience the thrill of finding a missing clue or the frustration of facing yet another dead end. The story seems complicated at first, with more than one criminal investigation but it gets exciting as the pieces start falling together, like a jigsaw puzzle.

This is probably the first detective series, which casts two women detectives as the main protagonists. Both detectives portrayed as intelligent and strong and capable of handling every challenge thrown at them, which added a new dimension to the story. The first half is comparatively slower but if you remain patient, you will be rewarded in the end. The story moves at a real brisk pace in the second half and has many twists which makes it a real page turner. The partnership between King & Lane is effective but there is lot more focus on the entire team. Also there is not much focus on the personal lives of the detective duo (baring some parts). You do miss the back-stories at times, especially of the main characters. But maybe it’s kept at the minimum because it’s the fourth book of the series. The other characters including the minor ones, were crafted well. I sincerely hope this is not the final book of the series (as hinted in the story)

Overall, A Promise to the Dead is an gripping crime thriller that will have you hooked till the end.

Many thanks to the publishers Bookouture, the author Victoria Jenkins and NetGalley for the ARC.
A PROMISE TO THE DEAD is the fourth in the Detectives King and Lane series, and from what Victoria Jenkins said in her note at the end, it is the last (for now). She indicated that she may revisit the duo in the future. Hopefully the not too distant future because I love this series!

I have read the first book in this series - which I absolutely LOVED - and now the fourth, skipping the second and third which I WILL go back and read. When I read the first book I absolutely LOVED it and I loved how King and Lane interact and work well together. It was about time there was a series featuring a duo that worked well together, didn't bicker every five minutes and were not ball-breaking bitches which some leads are. I loved these two and I am sad to see their story come to an end...for now.

The story opens with a prologue set in 1981 with a nameless couple that make sense by the end of the book. It sets the scene and had me turning the pages to discover how this incident was linked to the present.

In the present day, Matthew and Stacey are returning home from a football match and gathering with friends. They spend much of the time arguing and loathe to heed his girlfriend's advice, Matthew takes the quiet mountain road to avoid the busy traffic, when their car runs out of fuel. I myself cannot see this happening. I mean who doesn't check their fuel gauge? I'm always checking mine, filling up when it reached half a tank! However, as the story goes, they run out of fuel. Matthew goes to find help leaving Stacey alone in the car. But something happens. Matthew sees something he shouldn't have. By the next morning Stacey is dead and Matthew is nowhere to be found.

DI King and DC Lane find themselves investigating and are soon overwhelmed by numerous other cases landing on their desks all at once.

It then becomes clear there are links to another local man, Keiran Robinson, who went missing just a few days prior. But interviewing his family is proving difficult as they stonewall the detectives with unhelpful remarks and jabs at their inadequate investigation. It also become clear they are hiding something. But what is it? And how does it relate to Keiran's disappearance? Or that of Matthew's or Stacey's murder?

Not long after, DI King gets the call that a body has been found in a backyard. Who could it be? Is it Matthew? Or is it Keiran? However once on the scene it becomes clear that the body is actually skeletal remains of someone who has been in the ground, under a patio, a lot longer than the other two men have been missing. So who is this latest body?

Then the killer reaches out to DI King, sending her first a finger and then an incriminating photo of one of the missing men and one of her team. Is someone on her team responsible for these killings?

A PROMISE TO THE DEAD is a thrilling, compelling and fast-paced read that promises and delivers a thrill-ride of exciting twists and turns throughout the story. The pace is brisk and the ending unexpected.

I love how the two lead detectives are female and firm fast friends. I love how they interact together and with other members of the team, as well as other characters.

I was a little puzzled as to the constant reference to DI King's scars, as having only read the first book and this one, I've no idea what has taken place beforehand to lead to such an injury to which they keep referring. I wish there was a slight reference to what actually caused the burns on her face as not everyone may remember what has taken place in previous books and some, like me, may read out of order or even stand alone. So just a small reminder would have sufficed for those who can't remember or have no idea.

Aside from that small flaw, I thoroughly enjoyed A PROMISE TO THE DEAD and I hope Victoria Jenkins revisits this pair of detectives again in the near future because they are by far the best duo I've come across.

Many thanks to #VictoriaJenkins, #NetGalley and #Bookouture for an ARC of #APromiseToTheDead in exchange for an honest review.
Reading the fourth book in the King and Lane series seemed somewhat bittersweet as I had a sinking feeling the series was coming to an end which would be a shame as I’ve enjoyed reading about these two characters.

Having said that, the crack duo and their team are once again chucked in at the deep end with a case, but with the latest development in Alex’s personal life, is her head in the right frame of mind to be fully focused on work? Chloe is kept in the dark for now with what’s happening, but the two friends always have each other’s backs, which is definitely a good thing when they don’t seem to be making any progress on the case then another man goes missing then a body is discovered under a patio.

There are so many characters and scenarios in this, there were brief moments when I was slightly confused, but then suddenly it all clicked together again.

Another feature of Victoria’s books I’ve enjoyed has been the setting, as it’s not often to have local areas and well known places appear in a story.

A Promise To The Dead really is an excellent book. Although it’s the last in the series, for now at least, it ended well, tying up loose ends but with a possibility of more to come.