The Color of the Sun

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Oct 2019

This is definitely a YA book so I feel it is difficult to give an unbiased opinion. I could not relate to the young boy as an adolescent might.
The author is British and very well regarded.  I respect his writing skills but the book did not hold my interest.  There is a market for this novel but a limited one. Death is difficult to write about at best and young children might empathize with his protagonist  better than myself.
An unusual style of writing fit well this unique short read. We follow the day of a boy coming to grips with the death of his father, a death in his town and his own coming of age. Vivid imagery. An interesting and worthwhile read that you can finish in an afternoon.
I love Almond’s novels, but this one doesn’t quite hit the mark. In some ways, however, it’s remarkable. It follows Davies, a boy who has just lost his father, through one day of wandering through his small town after a murder. He talks to priests, little kids, sworn enemies, and even the ghost of his father. There’s a dreamlike, ruminative quality that reminds me of James Joyce’s Ulysses. Davies learns about war, human nature, love, religion, all kinds of great stuff.

The only flaw is ... not much happens. And because this is a YA book, I think something should, a least a bit more. I could see myself getting very frustrated at this book as a teen reader.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an arc.
I did not find anything compelling to get me beyond my self imposed 30-page look. I would not put in on the shelf of my classroom.