Is There Still Sex in the City?

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Aug 2019

I can’t believe it has been 20 years since SITC.  This is a memoir of Candace Bushnell and her exploits since getting a divorce ad finding herself newly single in her 50’s.

This was a bit meh - I don’t know what I was thinking this would be, but whatever it was it wasn’t this. Parts I really enjoyed, but others I could have left.
I was so excited to read this book but this is not about the SATC characters. It is about the author, Bushnell. I had a hard time relating to her life in her 50s. The story was quite funny at times but if you think you are going to get caught up on the fabulous lives of the beloved SATC characters, you are not.
I was very excited to receive an ARC of this book because I have really enjoyed reading the author's other books.  I found this book to be just okay.  It was well written and there were some pretty entertaining parts but it failed to keep me interested.  I appreciated the way she described the whole Tinder epidemic.  I just wanted to be so into the book that I couldn't put it down but this fell short of that for me.  I do think it would be an amazing read for someone going through these dating issues though.
As a 40 something single female I found this a great read. It was nice to read about some of the issues I have and realize that I’m not alone. I am definitely the target demographic for this story.

This story is about 50 something single ladies who are entering a new stage in their life. this story goes through the pitfalls of dating as more mature women in todays world. Older men who want younger women, younger men who want the mature woman, how the 50 something lady is now looking at potentially dating the 60 or 70 something man.

All in all it shows that no matter what city you live in, dating is the same and we are all in it together.
It was just ok. I had my hopes up having loved the others. It was slow to get in to. I was hoping it would pick up, but never happened. This one fell a little flat for me.
It was FINE. The most interesting portion of the book was about Candace getting swindled into buying face cream. It was the most recognizably New York story in the book. The stories of sex (of “Cubs”) just felt fake.
Fans of the author's previous work will be happy to take the good parts of this newest book and overlook the weaker bits.
As a fan of the Sex and the City Television Show, I was excited to see what the girls were up to after the series ended. I was a little disappointed that wasn’t the theme of this book and the title is a bit misleading. More of an essay on dating in your fifty’s, it follows Candace Bushnell and her friends as they enter new relationships later in life. I enjoyed the tales of older women dating younger guys, or cubbing, as Ms Bushnell refers to it. She also explores tinder dating. Overall, I enjoyed this quick read, as it was funny, light-hearted and uplifting!
When I saw that Candace Bushnell had a new book coming out, of course I jumped all over it.  Unfortunately this has nothing to do with the fiction book / tv series Sex in the City, it is actually more of a memoir of Bushnell's post divorce in her 50s.

Is There Still Sex in the City? reads more like how-to guide for newly single 50+ women.  The book goes through navigating Tinder, dating of cubs (younger men), becoming a ma'am, and middle aged dating.

To be honest, it made me a bit depressed.  Although she ends saying that turning 60 opened her eyes to new beginnings and the world ahead, it painted a bleak picture for later in life divorces.  Although probably a lot more common, making this book a bit more prevalent, it definitely wasn't a happy and uplifting how-to.
I received an ARC of ‘Is There Still Sex in the City’ through NetGalley and Grove Atlantic in exchange for an honest review.

I thought ‘Is There Still Sex in the City’ by Candace Bushnell was a quick and light read. I loved the references of living in New York while handling relationship struggles during mid-life. It also made me reflect back to my years of living in NYC during my early-mid 30s. I myself was suddenly single during part of this time, and I could relate during the ‘online dating’ exploration chapter! The book is set between the Upper East Side in New York, and a private enclave known as the ‘Village’, where stories of finding love in older men and experiencing love in times of life crises emerge.

‘Is There Still Sex in the City’ is not a riveting story, but it was enjoyable to reflect back to Candace Bushnell’s ‘Sex in the City’ series. I have yet to read Bushnell’s other stories, but I would love to in the near future. I’ve been feeling intense feelings of nostalgia for New York City, since I certainly learned much about myself as an individual during that time period.

If you love reading about long lasting friendships while surviving life in the big city, this book is for you!

Cathleen (Woven From Words)
My email: wovenfromwords@gmail.com

Review Links:
Blog Review (posted on March 13): http://wovenfromwords.com/2019/03/14/my-review-of-is-there-still-sex-in-the-city-by-candace-bushnell/

Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/is-there-still-sex-in-the-city-candace-bushnell/1129837614?ean=9780802147264#/

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R28U0LGPHFVV4K/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1408711788
In the wake of my divorce last year, I comforted myself by climbing in bed and bingeing on old episodes of Sex and the City. Even though I was a good fifteen years older than Carrie and her crew – and the explosion in email, social media, and texting made many of the episodes seem woefully out of date – I was cheered up by their friendship and humor as they dated a series of losers. Staying at home watching TV seemed like the logical choice when there was no one out there who’d show me a better time.

To read the rest of this review, click on the link below.
Although immensely readable, I did not enjoy this as much as I thought I would. After being a fan of the hugely famous sitc I was looking forward to catching up with my favourite sassy characters. This is not what this book turned out to be since it was the musings of the author about her life. It was however an easy and entertaining read.
Same wit.  Same dry humor.   I laughed out loud with this book.   Candace or should I say CARRIE you inspire women to get out there and “live their best lives”.  Single and in my 30s I needed this boost
Candance Brushnell is back and better than ever with a novel that fans of Sex in the City will devour. Can there be love after 50? What about sex? When one woman relocates to the Hamptons she will explore and uncover the answers to these not so rhetorical questions.

Fans of Sophie Kinsella may enjoy laughing along with a story from "across the pond."

I was fortunate to receive a free ARC of this book from Netgalley. The above thoughts, insights, or recommendations are my own meek musings.
In all honesty, this was a DNF for me.

I found within the first 5% of the book Bushnell mentioned her divorce numerous time and how deep down she would be well off because she had money. She also mentioned how she could not get a mortgage because she was a single woman. Confused seeing if she is so rich why that would be a problem-- oh but it wasn't. She paid off her mortgage in cash.

I honestly felt the writing lacked caring for the work being done. It was bland, rushed, and choppy. As a SATC fan, i think that drew me in. However, it was a let down and I had to put this one down.
Having read every other Bushnell book I had high hopes for this one.  However I found it kind of whiny.  It lacked the charm and glamour of her previous novels.  I don't know if I've grown older, or just too cynical to enjoy her books, but it fell flat for me.
I received an Advanced Reviewer Copy of Is There Still Sex and the City? by Candace Bushnell from the publisher Grove Books through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

What It’s About: This is a memoir (it is NOT part of the Sex and the City universe) of Candace Bushnell's journey as a divorced middle aged woman filled in with stories from her friends.

What I Loved: Candace writes this book with the same type of tone as Carrie Bradshaw had on the show (I didn't read the books, but watched the show). You kind of feel like Carrie is talking and narrating her friends lives.  It reads much like the style that the Sex and the City show was produced.

What I didn’t like so much: I didn't like this one. There are some funny stories in here and hijinks but overall I wasn't crazy about it. It took me a couple months to push through this one and I didn't connect with the characters (but I'm not middle aged or from the Wealthy NY group of women). I didn't particularly love the way it ended either.

Who Should Read It: People who like the Carrie Bradshaw storytelling voice. People who are middle aged and single. People who are middle aged and familiar with the NYC/Hamptons scene.

General Summary: A memoir exploring life as newly divorced middle aged woman.
I was really excited about this book because I love Sex and the City. The books, the show, the films. Well, the first film anyway. I was thrilled to get a copy of this one, but after a few chapters, it was clear that this book wasn't going to live up to the standard previously set by Bushnell. It was bland. There was nothing special that made me want to connect with the characters, and the story lacked the witty sass that Bushnell is known. It certainly was no Carrie Bradshaw. *Advance copy provided by the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
If you are looking for a quick and light read then this book is for you.  It was a little fast paced and the characters and story line could have been deeper.
I really enjoyed this book. It showed how Candace Bushnell's writing has changed over the years. From Sex in the City to Lipstick Jungle and now to this: Is There Still Sex in the City?
I think this was a perfect book for the generation who lived off of Sex and the City and is now going into their next stage of life. It was a bit hard for me to get through, as most essay-like books are, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.