Poseidon's Academy

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Jan 2019

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read this book in exchange of honest review!
As you can tell from the title the book involve elements from the Greek Mythology.
The gods are dead and their ability rained upon the humans on Earth. Now each human has some godlike ability. But the main character is different she is the only Zeus on the Earth. She hates the pressure about it and the prophesy they try to connect her to. That's why she want to go to the Poseidon's academy where she can escape the sky and her powers. But is this gonna be enough....
Nice start and good plot line. Just after the middle it felt as if the action stopped and it needed some tie to pick back up.
I may say I did enjoy the book ans hope the second one is better.
I received a free copy from Netgalley for an honest review. Now, I've read the Percy Jackson series and Harry Potter, and this has some of the elements I really liked of each. This book is set in an alternate world that Gods were real, and have since died but passed their powers on to others. Like Harry Potter, there are specialized schools, but like Percy Jackson, they have to learn each of the powers and that no one has quite the same gifts- but both leads have rare and unique powers. I like that the book quickly gives a recap of how the world is different. And jokes that "of course there's always a prophecy.." In this case, she's the first Zeus in a while, but feels pressured by the people around her as they all want to see her perform. She's got confidence issues and sadly, an issue making stupid decisions which got on my nerves. I almost put it down, but I liked the plot too much. Gratefully, she realized she was making bad decisions and that maybe she needed to do better. I loved the personal growth and that the professor told her she was learning well when everyone previously had treated her as a failure. I felt like the headmistress could have been a little stronger- she felt like a bit of a pushover and I was confused about the worship angle, but hope that the contradictions will be addressed in the next book.
Effectively a YA supers story with a skin of Greek myth. The Greek gods were killed in a war with their human slaves centuries ago, and their powers distributed themselves across the human population, so you can be, for example, a Demeter and have the power to grow plants, or a Heracles and be really strong.

The good: It's a fresh premise for a supers novel, and gives the opportunity to drop plenty of Greek mythic stuff, including all kinds of marvellous monsters. There's strong sensawunda in the underwater school filled with beauty and magic.

The bad: there are inevitable Harry Potter echoes whenever you have a magical school, but there are a few too many of them here: acceptance letter, magical plates that fill with whatever food you want in the dining hall, dorm rooms off a common room, staff with names like Madam Mendem (who is the school healer) and Guinevere Grayson. There's also a Sky High moment near the beginning, when the main character's best friend joins her on the roof by having a tree grow and deposit her there. I haven't read Percy Jackson, so I don't know if the parallels there are also too frequent and obvious; it wouldn't surprise me.

There are two Convenient Eavesdrops that are essential to the plot. Two! Now, I realize that in YA, it's difficult to get the kids knowledge of the aduts' plots without a plot device like this, but I still always roll my eyes and think of Five Go Mad in Dorset every time a plucky kid happens to be somewhere and overhear "Rhubarb, rhubarb, secret plans..." And when it happens twice, it's even worse.

Coincidence and poor decision-making pretty much drive the plot, in fact. Even though at the end we're led to believe that key parts of it were orchestrated by the plotters, an important plot token is picked up through a series of events which the plotters couldn't really have influenced. There's not a lot of protagonism from the characters much of the time, and they get off too lightly when they break the rules and endanger their own and each other's lives. There are rather too many in the core cast, and I found myself struggling to remember who had which powers.

There's a very early flashback, introduced by "Her mind flashed back to...". If you're flashing back that early, you're starting in the wrong place.

In the pre-release version I read from Netgalley, there were also a number of awkwardly or incorrectly phrased sentences, which hopefully will be fixed up before publication. A few of them gave hilarious mental images because the literal meaning of the words just hadn't been thought through.

One of the tests I apply to books that have some good and some not-so-good elements is: would I read a sequel? In this case, I think the answer is "no". While there are some well-staged moments and some bravery and determination from the characters, and it's a decently fresh premise, overall the plot is too expected and too reliant on coincidence, and the characters don't develop much depth or individuality. Combined with mediocre sentence-level writing, this adds up to a score of three stars.
Vogler's story is a little Percy Jackson and a little Harry Potter. Being the first book in the series, it bears great responsibility in developing both a story that feel complete, yet leaves the reader begging for more. I am sure many readers will gall in love with Hailey and Poseidon's Academy, but unfortunately, I am not one of them. It was a good story, but just doesn't seem fresh or new.
This is a story that I felt the other was trying to overcome to major books and failed greatly.  The promise of a magical academy reminded me of Harry Potter. The promise of Greek Gods reminded me of Percy Jackson. This took a lot of courage for the author to write this because of these authors who came before her.

First the promise of the book sounded great, but it just did not deliver. This is because there is not building of the story world. It was so confusing to be because I just did not know how this world came to exist. Why are the people not speaking Greek; how did these schools get teachers to teach students how to use their powers; how were powers handed out if not based on their family? I still have many more questions and that is just about world building.

As for the characters, I felt like there were no growing happening or that I could not relate to them. I understand finding something and not wanting the teachers or other students to know about it. Why did this school except the main character if she is the only one with the power of Zeus? She felt like she was powerless because her teachers from her other school told her that she was powerless and now at this school she was very powerful.

This story is a 2 star because all I have is questions and not a question was answered. I could not immerge myself in the book and it was hard to read.

I was given a copy of this book through Netgalley for my honest review.
Thank you NetGalley and Xpresso Book Tours for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

After the gods were defeated by the human race in the Great Battle, the powers of the gods poured down from the heavens blessing all humans with their supernatural gifts. 13-year-old Hailey Woods is the first Zeus in over a century. She’s just received her acceptance to the prestigious Poseidon’s Academy alongside her friends. The only issue? Hailey is destined to defeat the gods when they return one day as per the prophecy.

If Harry Potter and Percy Jackson were to meet, this would be the outcome. First things first, I NEED one of those conjuring plates that they use at meal time. You sit in front of the plate and whatever you’re craving appears! Can you imagine?! No cooking. No clean up. And you’re always satisfied!!! Pure genius!

Without giving away the plot, I really enjoyed watching the journey unfold of Bailey and her friends taking on the sea nymphs that want to destroy Poseidon’s Academy and the human race. The pace of the book was consistent without any dull moments.

My one critique is that I kept reading the story in Hailey’s voice as the first person rather than an omniscient narrator.

Overall, the book was fun and enjoyable. I give this book 4/5 stars!
I love any books about Greek mythology and the Gods, so I was really excited to read this book. This book is a really neat take on how the humans have God powers after they defeated them. That means everyone has a power, which would be awesome! The main character, Hailey, has Zeus powers but doesn't really want them, while her friends love their own powers. They get accepted into Poseidon's Academy and the story is about what happens to them while they are there, along with a prophecy that seems to be about Hailey, which she wants nothing to do with. The book was a fun read and had a lot of mythology about the Gods and creatures that have survived since that time. If you like mythology at all you will like this book!

I received an advance copy of this book from Netgalley for my honest opinion. #PoseidonsAcademy #NetGalley
Over sixteen hundred years ago, humans banded together to kill the gods that had been using them. The gods' powers then rained down onto humanity, so that they could wield those powers for themselves. There is a prophecy that the gods will return, and one with the power of Zeus will control lightning and save the world. Hailey Woods is the first person born with the powers of Zeus in a century, but she's thirteen years old and hardly knows how to handle the power she does have. She enrolls in Poseidon's Academy, an underwater school that is very exclusive. The benefit of being underwater also means that Hailey can't use her power or be harassed to put on a show, allowing her to feel like a normal teenager. However, she overhears nymphs plotting against the human students and will do what she can to stop them from enacting the prophecy.

It's fun to see a new series aimed at teenagers that has them actually acting like teenagers. They can be jealous, petty, friendly and fiercely independent as well. Hailey arrives at the school with two of her friends from home and makes a few more. There is the requisite Mean Girl and her friends, who are literally a Venus and a pair of siren twins. Having powers means the bullying is a little more intense than the average name calling. Being a teen-centered novel, this means that the characters avoid most of the adults that are actually present on campus, so other than laying out rules when the teens run amok, we very rarely see them. That is one aspect I find annoying because there is surely a way to make adults in teen series be more than absent or morons. It can be understandable that teens don't always trust the adults around them, but for a boarding school full of powered children, you would think there is far more security present there.

Overall, I was drawn into Hailey's story and cheered her and her friends on. It's a little silly that she and her friends think a bunch of thirteen-year-olds that barely know magic or how to corral their powers are able to do half the things they attempt. They do get gravely hurt and scared for their efforts, so it's not entirely a cakewalk. This is an interesting start to the series, and I'm looking forward to the next one.
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. I really enjoyed this book it was my first by this author but not my last. I highly recommend it to everyone.
This book has a tough job to do. Any teen fantasy book set in a magical boarding school can’t escape the shadow of Hogwarts (especially when it opens up with an acceptance letter), while mentioning any kind of Greek god lands us in Percy Jackson territory, so to tackle both is pretty brave. Sadly, for me, it didn’t pay off. For one major reason: world-building. Or, rather, the complete lack of it.

Both Harry Potter and Percy Jackson inhabit a secret world hidden within the one we all know so well. In Hailey’s world everyone has magic. The Greek gods were killed some sixteen hundred years ago, and a little of their power went into every human being on the planet. And yet the world has developed exactly the same as ours, right down to English-speaking, white Australians and mean-girl white Americans, as if British colonialism happened exactly the same.

I could probably write several essays about why this doesn’t ring true (if everyone has magical powers, what kind of weaponry – if any – would have developed? Would we have needed the same kind of tech we have today? Would industry have developed the same? Would Europe still have developed so much faster than everyone else, without the social and economic pressures of our mundane world?). All of which is a bit too deep for a middle grade adventure tale, but I still find it relevant. If you’re changing the whole world, change the whole world! Don’t be lazy.

And, if we’re talking about world history, why did the defeat of the Greek gods happen at the same time as the collapse of the Roman empire? Where are those gods? Where are the rest of the world religions? Where are their gods? Where’s the rest of the world’s population? Did I imagine it, or are all the pupils Hailey interacts with white? Why are the five main characters all English in an international school? Why are the only other nationalities mentioned Australian and American? Why are they speaking English when they’re all part-Greek god?

And why on Earth is Hailey accepted into a school in which her powers will be useless? If Zeuses are so rare and special, surely they’d be taken away and trained by some overriding power, just in case they grow up to save the world one day. It’s not like she’s hiding who and what she is. And why is there only one Zeus anyway? You’d think that as the most powerful god his magic would have spread the furthest. Then again I have no idea how the powers thing works, since it clearly isn’t hereditary as no one seems to have the same magic as their parents.

Basically this book left me with a lot more questions than answers. Which might have been okay if Hailey hadn’t been so boring, her best-friend hadn’t been so annoying and her three male friends hadn’t been so interchangeable. They all also act a lot older than thirteen. If it wasn’t for the (refreshing) lack of romance, I’d have said they were sixteen at least. I put it down so many times in the beginning and didn’t feel much like picking it back up again, but the plot and action do get better as it goes along. But for someone so powerful and potentially important, Hailey isn’t the most compelling of heroines.

So, sadly, this one wasn’t for me. It’s an easy enough read with magic and Greek mythology, but the characters aren’t very interesting and the lack of development in them and the world leaves it all a little flat and flimsy. Young readers might enjoy it, but if they come here looking for a female Percy Jackson (thanks to the Poseidon title) they will be disappointed.
I received a free copy of POSEIDON’S ACADEMY by Sarah A. Vogler in exchange for an honest review.  Hailey Woods lives in a society where humans defeated the Olympian gods and inherited their powers.  Hailey has the weather powers originally owned by Zeus.  It’s a really rare power type and comes with a “save the world” prophecy.  That’s a lot of pressure for a thirteen-year-old, so Hailey applies to Poseidon’s Academy where she can live underwater where there is no weather and where, as a result, she can avoid the intense pressure her prior school placed on her.  For someone who is trying to avoid saving humanity, Hailey gets into a lot of trouble by running to rescue her friends.  This is account of all the adventures Hailey has during her first year.  Expect more books.

This was a fun book.  Hailey has some less-than-admirable character traits, but she’s infected by powers previously wielded by Greek gods, who all also had some pretty big flaws.  If you’re a fan of mythology and boarding school books, you might want to give this series a try.

#PoseidonsAcademy #NetGalley
Thank you to Xpresso Book Tours for the arc of this book.
I am a few years older than the intended age range for this book, but it was an ok read, I can see the age group it is aimed at enjoying it a lot more than my old self.
I did enjoy the concept of how the author used the old gods and their powers, was very original.