Only Ever Her

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 May 2019

Only Ever Her follows the disappearance of Annie Taft days before her wedding.  I found the characters difficult to connect with, the resolution somewhat obvious.  A good story that could have been crafted more skillfully.
I liked the concept of the story but this was quite poorly written like not even the author knew what was going on as they were writing it. You could feel the uncertainty behind their words. Not a good thing. Very disappointing.
I struggled with the author's voice(s) for the different characters from the beginning. Jumping and introducing 4-5 different voices all at once was difficult to follow and no one character seemed likeable.
It was to be the perfect wedding—until the bride disappeared.
In Marybeth Mayhew Whalen's new novel, ONLY EVER HER (LakeUnionPublishing), Annie Taft’s wedding is four days away, and it will be one of the grandest anyone can remember in her small South Carolina town. Preparations are in order. Friends and family are gathering in anticipation. Everything is going according to plan. Except that Annie herself has vanished. Did she have second thoughts?

Or has something much worse happened to the bride-to-be?

As the days pass, the list of suspects in her disappearance grows. Could it be the recently released man a young Annie misidentified as her mother’s killer? Could it be someone even closer to her?

While her loved ones frantically try to track her down, they’re forced to grapple with their own secrets—secrets with the power to reframe entire relationships, leaving each to wonder how well they really knew Annie and how well they know themselves.

I liked the premise of ONLY EVER HER, but I felt like the book couldn't decide what it was. It can be placed in several categories, but I felt it didn't have a focus. I love MMW's novels. I guess I was kind of let down by this one.
I enjoyed the book but wasn't really a fan of the characters and would give it 3.5 stars. The problem being I never felt I really got to know them. Each character had so much more to their story, especially Faye and Clary. Annie ended up being my least favorite and she happened to be the main character. The whole book revolved around her disappearance right before her wedding. Even the book centered around Annie, the story was about all the people in her her life. Annie seemed like an awful friend and used people. Kenny would have done anything for her and was a great friend. I felt like Annie would do anything just to get away from the small town where she lived. I kept wanting to find out what really happened to Annie's mom. It wasn't revealed until the end and felt so rushed. The scenes with the doves were some of my favorite parts.

I absolutely loved the cover of the book. I recommend the book and look forward to reading more by the author.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Lake Union Publishing through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
This was an enjoyable story featuring a variety of unique characters. Centered around the disappearance of Annie days before her wedding, we learn about her mother who was murdered when Annie was three, her aunt that raised her, her cousin that grew up with her, and other townspeople.
This was a good beach read for me.  There was mystery, small town life, secrets, and enjoyable characters. It was a light read with a slow pace.
Many thanks to Lake Union Publishing and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Only Ever Her by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen was a book that I was hooked on - in the beginning.  Unfortunately for me it became a but slow and the story started to drag.  The ending was a disappointment for me as well..  The story sounded like one that I was going to really get lost in but it just did not continue.  All the characters had their secrets that start to come out and take away from the main story of the missing bride.

Annie Taft is getting married - and it is to be the wedding of the year.  Annie is somewhat a celebrity in her hometown - when she was 3 her mother was murdered and her testimony put a man away.  But he is getting out - and then Annie goes missing. Has she got cold feet or has something happened to her?

Thanks to Lake Union Publishing and Netgalley for my advanced copy of this book to read.  All opinions are my own and are in no way biased.
This book was just absolutely wonderful! The way the author weaved her story was just beautiful she's s storyteller for sure and it made me so exicted to read more works by her! The family saga and the southern setting made this book so special and relatable for me I can imagine my own family reading about the Taft clan. I enjoyed so much reading about every past choice and revelation bought to light for the Taft family and the questions and suspense of Annie's whereabouts the whole family swept me up and made me love these characters so much something about reading about good old southern families just always makes my heart happy
It was to be a perfect wedding.. but where is the bride? Cold feet? An accident? Or something sinister? Days go in and the lists of suspects keep shifting. How well did Annie’s friends and family know her?
This book was good but not great for me. It was cool to read a book set in my hometown, Greenville SC. However, i just found myself bored. And the ending just overall disappointed the crap out of me. It sounds like I’m bashing the book but I really did love the characters and I think it had a lot of potential. I had no issues with the writing style.
Thank you NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for an Advanced Reader’s Copy of this book.  This book is set up a mystery about a woman who goes missing just days before her wedding.  The author does a great job of putting all the right elements in, so this becomes a page turner.  However, as the story progresses it fell a little flat for me.  I was like that was it, really.  Great Premise, ok execution.
It was going to be the perfect day but what happens when the bride to be disappears four days before the wedding, enjoyed this read ..
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

Thank you NetGalley!!

I love the cover of this book.
Annie Taft's wedding is in FOUR days.. which is fantastic right?    Except she's disappeared.   Did she have second thoughts?   Did something bad happen?>    While everyone is trying to track her down, they're all forced to dela with their own secrets... secrets that make them reframe their current relationshipos and wonder if thye know Annie or themselves!!.
Thank you to Netgalley for giving me the chance to read and review, "Only Ever Her" by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen. This book fell a little short for me. I loved how most of the characters had secrets, both big and small. I was really invested in all the different characters. I am a huge fan of books with multiple points of view! I couldn't put this book down until it got close to the end. The ending didn't truly feel like it had any closure. It felt a little unfinished for me.
I am so grateful to Lake Union Publishing via Netgalley for the eARC of Only Ever Her!
As the weather warms, I tend to turn to more suspenseful stories, and the story of Annie and her family sucked me right in.
Annie has spent her life being a symbol in her tiny town of overcoming tragedy. Now, it’s just a few days before her wedding, the talk of the town, and she’s struggling to come to terms with leaving her old life behind.
I love stories with multiple perspectives, and this cast of characters are really well written, human and flawed, but relatable for that reason.
If you like family drama, especially small town family drama, I think you will really enjoy this book!
Annie’s wedding is only four days away and it’s a big event for the small town. Such a big event that the local reporter Laurel is doing her best to try and get the scoop. The wedding isn’t the only big event that happens. Annie is contacted by a lawyer about the man that went to prison for her mother’s murder, one that after all these years might be innocent and is serving a sentence he wasn’t meant to. Now Annie is missing, and her friends and family are trying to find her. While the search for Annie is moved into actions, the characters must come to terms with their own regrets and what it means to finally let them go.

I enjoyed this story. I thought it was a fast read. I loved the last book by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen. So while I enjoyed it, I didn’t love it, but I didn’t hate it either. I thought it was a good, quick read. That being said.  The book is classified as a thriller on goodreads and I don’t believe that this is a thriller but more of a general fiction.

The story mostly follows Clary, Annie’s cousin. Faye her aunt who raised her. Kenney, a kid that admired Annie since school and Laurel a reporter. It follows their lives as this situation unfolds and how they deal with Annie’s disappears as well as some major milestones in their lives.

I really wanted more character development. I think this had a lot more potential that it just did not seem to reach. While I liked the premise and the characters, I just really wanted more.

I was confused about how a town that took the testimony of a three-year-old and jailed an innocent man. She was three… How does that even happen?

Also, the revelation, in the end, felt completely out of the blue and perhaps added for shock value?

But I saw what the author mostly wanted to do with this. I appreciated that. I thought some of it was really sad and emotional and I do enjoy her writing. Overall, I am looking forward to see what she does next.
Thanks to Lake Union and Net Galley for the
ARC of Only Ever Her by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen in exchange for an honest review. I had not read a book by this author before  I had not read a book by this author before, so I was excited to receive this ARC.  The story is told in multiple viewpoints. At first I was a little confused and it took me awhile  to nail all the characters down. Once I did though, I found the story to be very enjoyable. I will definitely read this author again. I enjoy books with multiple
viewpoints where the story is revealed little by little. Make sure to check this one out!
Annie Taft is about to be married. As the final few days count down, she receives a letter that the man in prison for killing her mother is about to be released. As a child, her testimony helped put him there. But were the words of a young toddler to be believed?
Then Annie disappears, leaving her Aunt Faye and cousin Clary to find out what happened to her. Did she vanish due to cold feet, or is it related to her mother's death?
Women's fiction with a mystery. I enjoyed the strong female characters, and the uncertainty behind Annie's disappearance. I loved the small town stories and secrets being revealed.
An engaging, endearing read.
Thank you to Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for the free ebook in exchange for an honest review.
Annie is preparing for her wedding which. will be the biggest social event of the year in her small town. On top of her wedding, her mother’s murderer is being released from prison, possibly wrongly accused by Annie herself. Annie was four when her mother was murdered and her testimony put this man in prison. Then four days before her wedding, Annie does not come home. As the town and her family and friends search for her secrets and past history come into play. It seems nothing is ever secret in a small town.

This was my first book by this author and while I enjoyed it, the book was a little slow. I was very excited to read it and absolutely love the cover! Each chapter is told from a different characters view. I really enjoy books written this way as it helps me understand the characters more. Overall this is a good read but the story is a little slow.