Only Ever Her

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 May 2019

What an amazing thriller! Absolutely loved it; every roller coaster moment of it. This book was full of surprises, and there was no boring moment. I highly recommend it.
I loved this book. The characters were all do relatable, and the story was beautifully written. It was reasonably complex but easy to follow, with just the right touches of mystery, love, tragedy, and hope. I enjoyed When We Were Worthy but I liked this one even more. Will definitely read more by this author!
This was just alright. Kept me interested but I didn’t find myself up till 2 am finishing the book because I HAD to know what happened.
Ok, I loved this book.  Marybeth has great writing style, however, this one is by far my favorite.  She brings Southern to life in the pages of Only Ever Her.  The characters are a trademark of MB and I fell in love with these characters.  Their struggles were well played out and the wrap up was absolutely perfect.  I hope people go into this book knowing it is not a thriller.  The characters are strong and the family dynamics fascinating.  I loved the mystery angle and the slow burn it brought in this novel.  I highly recommend this book.
Annie Taft goes missing only four days before her wedding day. Has Annie gotten cold feet or has she met the same fate as her mother Lydia who was murdered when Annie was only 3. With suspects piling up by the second the police have their work cut out for them.

This books rotates between 4 POVs. Faye, Annies aunt and the woman who has raised her. Clary, (Who I called clay the entire book cause if you've read some of my other reviews you know how I feel about weird names) Annies cousin. Laurel, a reporter trying to get her big break. Last but not least Kenny, the man Annie has been "secret" friends with for years and the person to see her last.

I actually didn't mind the switching between POVs in this book. I felt it was necessary whereas some books tend to switch just to switch. I did not like how every single "twist" I saw coming way before it was supposed to be revealed. Fayes, Clary, Scott, who killed Lydia, everything was like Oh OK so this is going to happen. Another annoyance I had was what happened to Scott and Tracey? After they're caught by Laurel they're never mentioned again? What the heck? That felt very incomplete to me. I did like how the doves came back into play. I had kind of forgotten about them so that was a nice touch.

Overall, I don't know if I would recommend this book to anyone. It was fine. It wasn't great it wasn't terrible. It was completely meh.
I was really excited to read this based on the description and I wasn’t disappointed. It was engaging and challenging in wanting to keep reading and trying to guess at the plot. The multiple viewpoints helped to get deeper into the characters psyche and feel more connected. The cover work is also very pretty with the flowers and very eye catching! Nice work!
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for allowing me to read this novel in exchange for an honest review.
This book looked like it was going to be really good but it fell really flat. I didn't really connect with the characters. The end of the book is where it really picks up.
This has been the first book I have read in some time that I could just not put down.  Annie is to be married very soon and has returned home to make her final preparations.  She takes time to catch up with friends and then mysteriously disappears in the same area her mom was murdered in years ago.  I loved the character development of this book and that it was told in multiple view points.  This book kept me guessing until the very end.  Thanks for the ARC, Net Galley.
ONLY EVER HER by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen centers around a wedding...well until the bride, Annie, disappears. Did she run away? Was she taken? What has happened to Annie? The days pass by and Annie is nowhere to be found.
The family is heartbroken as they pray for the best but fear the worst. Secrets start to unravel as everyone comes clean about their own relationship with Annie and each other.
I enjoyed this book even with the underlying sad theme. The characters were well thought out and developed and the setting was beautifully described where I felt I could visually see all the locations throughout the story.
It was a dark theme with hope sprinkled throughout and is a great read for those looking who enjoy light thrillers.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher, and author for an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Have you ever read a book that was just so special that you wished it would never end? That’s the best way I can describe Only Ever Her. It’s such a beautifully written novel with just a dash of suspense, compelling the reader forward in search of the truth - where is Annie, and what really happened to her mother all those years ago. I loved the characters and genuinely saw them leaping off the pages. Honestly, even now I’m wondering how their realities will change based on the outcome of the book. What I enjoyed most, however, was how Marybeth captures the emotions and sense of community in a small town in the midst of crisis and controversy. It’s hard to depict the community relations, the social obligations, the personal struggles, but I felt she absolutely nailed it.
Thank you so much to the publisher for providing my review copy. It’s truly my privilege to share my honest thoughts and opinions.
My first book by this author and it won’t be my last.  I enjoyed this story , it was ok but I wanted more
A bride disappears on her wedding day - you can't have a wedding without the bride!  Everyone is trying to figure out what happened - did she get cold feet?  Did someone want her to disappear?  The story is told in several characters’ points of view which made it hard to follow at times.  It was very slow paced for my taste and I was a bit disappointed in the ending.  I loved the author's other books but this one just fell short for me.
Thanks to Marybeth Mayhew Whalen, Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
I've read one other book by Marybeth Mayhew Walen and I wasn't a fan of it. I was super excited to get my hands on this one because I've heard raving things but unfortunately this missed the mark completely for me.

I thought this was incredibly boring and should have DNF this book honestly. Ugh... just couldn't connect to the characters or storyline whatsoever!

I got to about 55 percent and then skimmed the rest of the story. There was lack of character development for Annie the main character but also there were so many characters and it jumped around way too much. I was confused and just annoyed.

I found it to be slow, confusing, and lacked any depth in my opinion. I would not recommend to mystery and suspense fans.

2 stars

Thank you to Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for the arc in exchange for an honest review.

Publication date: 5/7/19
Published to Goodreads: 3/3/19
Only Ever Her promises a suspenseful story about the search of a woman who goes missing days before her wedding and right after the man who went to prison for killing her mother gets released.

Except, that this book is not suspenseful and is not even really about the search of the missing bride.

Instead, the story jumps from character to character in a small town full of people who are not living their best life. From the girl who is trying to be everyone's darling by making herself unhappy, to her aunt who is trying to substitute the girl's dead mother, to a journalist who's unsuccessfully trying to fulfill her dream and so on.

The first thing worth mentioning about Only Ever Her is that it's not really a thriller. Sure, the main story is that Annie is missing, but what is actually going on is that we're learning more about the different people around her, than being a part of a frantic search for her. That could be okay had the characters been more compelling... but they weren't. I didn't like a single person in this book. They all acted strangely and irrationally. Each one of them had at least one opportunity to do what they want and they all did not take it, because... um... you know, reasons.

It's not even that the book was terrible or anything of the sort. It just didn't stir anything in me. I believe I will forget that I ever read it in a couple of months.
A young bride goes missing days before her wedding. Her disappearance coincides with her mother's alleged killer prison release date. Is the timing coincidental or did the alleged murderer seek justice for lost time? If the original suspect is not the killer, then who is? Is the young bride's disappearance due to pre-wedding jitters, regret over life decisions, or is she hiding something?

This is a slow building mystery/thriller story. The book emphasizes character development more than it does on discovery or shocking events. I didn’t dislike the book, but the slow pace build-up caused me to skim through some of the pages wondering when I'd to get to highlight of the story and the pace would pick up a bit.

I enjoyed the last few chapters the most. Partially because the book would end soon and the mystery would (hopefully) be solved. Overall I didn't connect with any of the characters but felt that in the final chapters the characters were more vulnerable and real.

I recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a good mystery and getting an in-depth look at the mind of the characters more than a strong fast-paced thriller. I wanted to love this book but I only liked it. It kept my interest, but it wasn’t exciting to the point where I couldn't stop reading because I was intrigued about the next set of events.

I will consider reading more by this author.

This book was received as an ARC from Lake Union Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

All I have to say is OMG WOW!! I usually do not get so wound up when a book takes an unexpected turn but WOW! After reading this book, I literally felt my heart beat so fast that a huge adrenaline rush came through me. From beginning to end you have a picture of how the story will turn out and then when you thought you had the story down, a huge dramatic twist takes effect and then it leaves you dumbfounded and breathless that you do not know what came of you.  I know a lot of our patrons will enjoy this book and I can not wait to tell them about it.

We will consider adding this title to our Fiction section at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
🌟🌟🌟 1/2 Stars for this fast-paced myster. .  Small towns are tough..everyone knows everyone, but certain secrets can be kept for years.  A young mother is murdered with only her 3 yr old daughter as a witness.  A man is sent to prison what the child says.  This child, Annie, grows up as a favorite in Ludlow, SC.  The town is excited about Annie’s upcoming wedding.  Then, Annie goes missing.  Old mysteries, new mysteries, Southern elite and outcasts come together with Annie’s family to search.  By the end of thee story, all secrets are answered.

This book, while a page turner, wasn’t quite as good as the author’s previous novel ‘When We Were Worthy’.  Quite a few little secrets were thrown in that I felt were never truly developed, and characters were introduced but didn’t go anywhere, Just dying out.

If you are looking for a fast-paced mystery...good for a weekend getaway, plane trip or beach read, this will foot the bill.

Thanks yo the Author, Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for this ARC. Opinion is my own.
Not much of a thriller, plot tends to drag. I expected more of a fast paced suspense novel. Much potential but the story never was truly fleshed out
Started off strong but slowed down as the story progressed.  I liked the start of the story but I struggled to finish reading it.
Annie is four days away from getting married and she is no where to be found.  Sounds like a great book right?
For me it was meh.

I was more concerned with where Annie was then what had happened in some of the characters past.  While the writing was good it took the focus off Annie and the book became about the other characters (which was not how it was advertise btw)

I felt like the book didn't dive into the relationship with Annie and Scott.  We know where he is off with her best friend, but how can that be with her missing and perhaps dead?

I would have loved if the book focused more on Annie and where she was.  There didn't seem to be any urgency to finding her as the story dealt more with the other characters.  I kept waiting for the book to get better and was hoping the book would end with a bang.  Sadly for me it ended more with a whisper than with a band.

'