My Sister Is Missing

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Apr 2019

Loved it. A complicated psychological thriller. Well written, suspenseful with many twists and turns. Emotive and intriguing right till the very end. Recommended.
I couldn’t handle this book. Not because of the intensity or the heart-wrenching premise. No, no. I couldn’t handle it because it was so, agonizingly slow.

The story went back and forth between the points of view of Jess, Adam and Steph. I love books written in different POVs, but this was just so freaking messy. It was hard to follow, and most of the time I didn’t even know who was narrating—I had to keep flipping back pages until I figured it out. Big waste of time.

It started out with promise, though—I mean, how could you not be drawn in by that title? And that cover! I was really into it at first but then about a third of the way through I had to force myself to get through it. I kept waiting for a big, shocking moment, a twist, but that never came. Everything was pretty much as predicted, which isn’t a problem if the story is told well. But this wasn’t. It was messy, choppy and hard to follow.

Was there anything I liked? I guess I would say the premise was original from other books I’ve read lately. I also liked Jess’s character. But that’s about it—everything else just fell short.
Jess hasn't had an easy life. Growing up she had to deal with a mother who abused her and praised her older sister. An older sister that did try to look out for her, despite what their mother's feelings were. So when Stephanie vanishes, Jess knows that she has to be for her sister what she was for her all those years ago.

When the police keep turning up with dead ends, Jess decides to take the investigation into her own hands. Things aren't adding up and she wants to find her sister before something happens to her and her child. What Jess uncovers is something worse than she was expecting, but still nothing that can't be fixed. If only she could find her sister to help set things right.

A twisting and turning story about family and the secrets they hide not only from each other, but also from themselves.
This is the book for you if you loved SHARP OBJECTS. Heart-pounding suspense as Emily tries to discover the truth about Madeline, her sister. Madeline is gone, but is she the victim? Or is something even more sinister going on? You may think you've seen this plot before, but be prepared for a shock. Julia Barrett handles this plot line in a unique way that will leave you reeling. Wonderful thriller, highly recommend.
This wasn’t a fly by the seat of your pants thriller..  but it definitely surprised me. There is a twist that I did not see coming, that was done in a refreshing way.

I really enjoyed this book!

I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
A few weeks after giving birth, Stephanie Henderson disappears with her daughter, Natalie. Needless to say, her husband, Adam, and older daughter Jess have many questions that need answered

Police hit a dead end with no clues, no witnesses and Jess takes it  upon herself to look for her missing mother and sister.  It's when her dad starts acting out of character that Jess begins to wonder what really happened the night they disappeared.

What is he hiding?   Who knows the truth?  Can Jess handle the truth?

This is a well written complex story involving family dynamics of all sorts.  Told in three parts, the loudest voice is from Jess.  There are chapters in Adam's voice and there are also diary entries from Stephanie.  There are secrets and lies and  twists and turns that sometimes defy logic.

My Sister is Missing is Julia Barrett's debut novel.  This one will have you questioning what is real and what isn't ... and whether you can trust the people you love.

Many thanks to the author / RedDoor Publishing / Netgalley for the digital copy of this psychological thriller.  Read and reviewed voluntarily, the opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Twisty, Enthralling, Page Turner!

My Sister Is Missing is a perfectly twisty and thrilling Psychological Thriller, that kept me guessing.
Oh Wow was I taking on a twisty journey.
Just when I thought I had things sussed Julia added another red herring.
3*. The protagonist, Jess Morely, works in public relations for a university. She is a journalist like her missing sister, Stephanie Henderson, ‘Steph’. Steph’s husband, Adam, calls Jess to tell her that Steph didn’t come home the previous night and she had baby Natalie with her.

The prologue is of Steph’s diary entry about her new-born daughter and the secrets she’s been keeping from Adam. For a person who has kept away from her sister and her birth family for years, Jess is quick to go and live in her sister’s house to find Steph, although the brother-in-law she doesn’t much like lives there too.

We follow Jess through the minutiae of her life, the coffees and car and train rides, as she tries to slowly piece together Stephanie’s state of mind and movements to try and locate her and Natalie. The last thing Jess wants is that Steph and Natalie are found dead. Ever the responsible elder sister, Steph would be unlikely to have put her baby’s life at risk by walking out of her own seemingly stable life. The points of view shift between Jess, Adam and Steph’s journal.

The novel is made fairly uninteresting to read because the prose chops about, and it abounds with irrelevant minutiae about Jess’s concerns, childhood and movements, all of which do nothing to move the story along. It takes to about the 30% point before anything of note happens. I often skimmed through pages at a time to get to the bones of the story. There are so many large glasses of wine and big gulps of alcohol as if alcohol was a character itself. While dark and dreary, the childhood details were repetitive, made the story more of a tell than show and felt gratuitous.

I wouldn’t classify this book a psychological thriller or a mystery per se; rather a missing person story. The characters were had to sympathise with, maybe because of the slow reveal, which didn’t heighten the suspense factor. Adam in particular was not likeable, before we even find out more about him.

The author attempts to deal with themes of mental health and infidelity although her writing style is too leaden down with description and set-ups. My interest in the book was not sustained throughout, and some of the characters’ actions were unbelievable.

Although I wanted to post my review in Netgalley at the earliest, I accidentally read another book first with the same title also released in 2019.
Thank you to #JuliaBarrett, #NetGalley and #RedDoorPublishing for an ARC of #MySisterIsMissing in exchange for an honest review.
A real good psychological thriller... three weeks after having a baby, stephanie  and her baby Natalie disappear...... her husband Adam is frantic with worry and engages the help of his sister-in-law.Jess who goes through Stephanie's journals to see can she get more information, and boy does she get an eyeful....
Wow wow wow! I read this book in under 36 hours, I just couldn’t put it down.

I love a thriller and whereas this turns out to be more psychological than anything, it has some fantastic twists and turns along the way which kept me gripped. The story is told from three viewpoints – Jess, whose sister is missing, Steph, the missing sister, who’s thoughts come from the diary entries she makes in the run up to her diaappearance and Adam, her husband, who is acting suspiciously which makes Jess question if he has some involvement in her sister’s disappearance. As well as investigating the disappearance of her sister, Jess is dealing with a recent break up as well as the neglect she suffered as a child which still impacts on her.

As I said before, I just couldn’t put this one down, it kept my interest piqued through out and was superbly written. I will certainly look out for this author again in the future and highly recommend this to all!

Trigger warning – child neglect, suicide, post-partum psychosis
This book was an interesting and unexpected thriller.

The story begins with a journal entry from Stephanie Henderson talking about her newborn daughter and secrets she has been keeping. Then we are launched into Jess’s perspective as she learns that her sister and, Stephanie, and her niece are missing. Jess quickly teams up with Adam, Stephanie’s husband, to piece together Stephanie’s last movements to try and determine what may have happened to her.

Stephanie is not the type of woman to just walk away from her life, especially with her newborn in tow, so both her family and the police are at a loss. We get shifting perspectives between Jess and Adam and also back to Stephanie’s journal and we find out that there is more going on than what’s on the surface.

I won’t spoil anything, but this book took a turn that I haven’t seen in other thrillers. I think it takes on some important issues while still maintaining that edge-of-your-seat-suspense feeling.

My only issue with this book were the unnecessary details/scenes that really had no bearing on the story. I found myself skimming a bit more than I normally would, but this did not detract from the overall story for me.

Thank you so much to NetGalley and RedDoor Books for the opportunity to read and review this book!
A compelling, fast-paced suspense novel with plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. Where has Steph gone? What was she hiding? Did Jess really know her sister at all?
It's a solidly-plotted page-turner, full of complex, imperfect characters, unique enough to stand out in the current sea of domestic suspense novels.
This book has an interesting storyline. Stephanie has recently given birth to Natalie, a long awaited baby for Stephanie and her husband Adam. Then Jess, Stephanie's younger sister hears that Steph and the baby are missing. She goes to comfort Adam and try and locate her sister. Why would a new mom and her baby suddenly disappear. Jess finds Stephanie's journals and slowly learns secrets that she never knew about her sister.  Jess has secrets of her own and somehow they seem to be intertwined with her missing sister.
This is a good book with a couple of unexpected twists.
This was a very good and solid domestic, suspense story.

Step and Adam have a happy marriage and and now after trying for several years to have a baby, beautiful Natalie arrives to complete their family.   Steph loves being a new mom even though she is exhausted from lack of sleep and endless new chores that challenge all new moms after having a new baby.  Natalie is now the new love of her life and will do everything in her power to keep the baby safe and loved in every way possible.

Three weeks after giving birth, Natalie disappears.   Adam is distraught and calls Steph's sister Jess right away to help him talk to the police and contact all Steph's friends to hopefully find some clues to where she may have gone.
Steph's car is missing but her cellphone and all of her clothes and Natalie's things have been left behind.   What has happened to Steph and Natalie?

I enjoyed this story very much there were a lot of turns that I didn't see coming and sometimes the story would lead me one way and then sharply turn another way so I really appreciated that the author didn't give the whole story away early in the book as many writers do.   There were many complex and realistic life elements going on with Adam and Jess's lives throughout the book as well, so it made the book more suspenseful and dramatic.  This novel packed a good punch and was well-written and easy to read.

I want to thank Reddoor Publishing and Netgally for this ARC!

I definitely recommend this book and have given a rating of 4 Impressive 🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars!!
A thriller that kept me reading all night.  The jacket description leads you to believe that the "sister" who is missing had choices.  As you read, the choices will make you wonder if she really did.  It's hard to believe this is a debut book.  Julia Barrett has done an excellent job of giving depth to her characters so you feel like you know them.  You think you know what is going to happen, but she gives you clues that are not what they seem.  It's hard to tell you how good this book is without giving away the best parts.  You are just really going to have to read the book for yourself.
Was very easy to read. It was well written and flowed well. Nice characters and a good storyline. Interesting place it’s based. All round good read
Jess receives a phone call from her brother in law saying her sister and tiny baby niece have gone missing. She dashes over to try to help find out where she is or if anything has happened to her.
Everyone has secrets and often things are not what they seem. An intriguing read.
When her sister, Stephanie, disappears along with her three week old daughter, Jess and Steph's husband Adam, struggle to understand why she has done this & where she might have gone. When a news item from Leeds tells of the suicide of a young woman who stepped in front of a train; a woman who may have been holding a baby. The pair of them are in shock. Steph's car had been traced to Leeds.

Jess is worried about the way Adam has reacted to her sister's disappearance. She doesn't want to go back to Leeds which was the scene of her abused childhood However she suspects that even though their mother is dead Steph might have gone back 'home'. Steph was after all her mother's favourite.

I read this book quite quickly because I wanted to find out what had happened . I also wanted to know what had happened to Jess in the past. At the same time I did find it a bit disjointed at times & struggled to keep belief. Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this book. It was a bit of a difficult one to score;I want to give it 3.5 but can't quite round it up to a 4
A debut novel by Julia Barrett is riveting and suspenseful. A new mother disappears with her child.
The police have zero leads and her husband has no idea why she left..  A wonderful suspense novel I read in one sitting,

Thank you Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

For reasons no one can understand, Stephanie Henderson, a new mother, disappears with her baby girl. Her husband Adam is beside himself, but the police have no leads. Stephanie's sister Jess is determined to find out what happened to Stephanie and the baby and will do whatever it takes to find them. For reasons Jess cannot understand, Adam begins acting rather strangely. Could he have something to do with Stephanie's disappearance?

When Jess hears of a tragic accident that claimed the life of a young woman, she is terrified it could be Stephanie. What she learns is not enough, however, and Jess keeps searching for answers.

As I sped through the pages of this thriller, I found that nothing was ever as it seemed, and I was truly invested in the well-being of Stephanie and the baby. Furthermore, Jess was thoroughly impressive, because she never once gave up in her quest.

This was a pretty good read that I could not put down. I read it in one sitting, but dare to say that there were a few twists that really caught me off-guard, especially when it came to dealing with certain aspects affecting one of the characters. As the story was delivered in more than one point of view, it definitely was intriguing. It was difficult to know who to trust while reading this story. There were issues relating to traumatic events that took a large part of the story. Many readers will enjoy this debut novel by Julia Barrett.

Many thanks to RedDoor Publishing and to NetGalley for this ARC to review in exchange for my honest opinion.