Kings of Mayhem

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 Feb 2019

The first book in this series and has two people that grew up next to each other and in a Motorcycle club. They fall in love and then when they both were to take off the next day for college he screwed it up the night before. Actually, his dad drugged because he had already lost one son and did not want another to leave the club. Now twelve years later Indy is coming home to bury her father and hopefully all of her memories of the club and of Cade. Problem Cade has never stopped loving her and when she sees him he is not the boy she remembers. He is a man and she is still attracted to him. While everything is going on between them someone is also killing the members of the club and they are working at finding who it could be. They there is the fact that she had not gone back to her job and life when she thought she would. Why is she staying? Will she stay or will she leave? Maybe Cade will give her a golden crown like the wife’s get when they get married? Read this fast paced book to see what happens.
I usually love motorcycle club books and I wanted to fall in love with this one too but sadly it just didn't work for me. I tried hard but couldn't love the heroine. I'm a fan of second chance stories so I was rooting for these two but while some things worked, a lot left me unsatisfied and I think a lot of it had to do with the characterization. Still, it makes for a quick read if you're just looking for something to pass the time.
I really enjoyed reading this book. I feel bad that I had to read it over a longer period of time than I had originally planned but it was a good escape from life to see these two people find a way back to one another.
For the past several years, I've become addicted to MC romances, and when I saw the opportunity to get an advance reader copy of the first book in a new MC series, from a new-to-me author, I requested it and I am so glad that I did because there was just so much to like about this novel, which is why I'm giving this series starter 4.5 stars.

This is at heart, a second chance romance, and I'm a sucker for those as well, and that's exactly what we have in the two main characters, Cade and Indy (Indigo), who have been best friends since early childhood, both raised by parents who were prominent members of the Kings of Mayhem MC, and who were also next door neighbors. From early childhood, whenever Indy's parents would fight, she'd climb out of her bedroom window and into Cade's, finding comfort in the arms of her best friend.

Cade admits to falling in love with Indy when they were both 5 years old. But as all romance readers know, the path to love and lasting relationships is a long and bumpy one, and what hooked me on these two characters were the past/present  jumps in time between Cade and Indy, first as children, then a couple of years later, then into their teen years and finally, the one mistake that cost Cade dearly--it cost him Indy, who left town and didn't return for a dozen years, and then, 12 years later, returned only to attend her father's funeral, a father who she once loved but who became a bitter, angry, abusive monster in her eyes after the untimely death of her teenage brother, Bolt.

If angst and drama are your thing, there's plenty of both in this novel, which works so effectively because in addition to seeing these characters grow and mature, the fact that this novel is told in dual narration gives the reader a chance to learn who they are, how they think, how they feel, and how their relationship from childhood best friends to adult lovers developed over time. It was a smart decision on the part of Ms. Dee to her give readers the kind of insight into each characters' mind, that is only possible when a story is told from two different points of view.

Twelve years is a long time to be apart for two people who once claimed to love one another, but a stupid, drunken mistake cost Cade dearly. Indy caught him in bed with another girl, and that one event crushed Indy emotionally, and rather than giving Cade a chance to explain, she was out of there, something she'd wanted since she was 14 years old, which is when her parents marriage became violent and her father became abusive. Although the two lovers were supposed to go to college together, Indy left alone, but after Cade tried to get Indy back by following after her, and practically begging for her forgiveness, she wasn't shy about telling him that she no longer loved him, and she even goes so far as to get a restraining order against him.

When Indy finally shows up 12 years later, she's still angry at Cade because of his betrayal, but she's still attracted to him as well, and Cade, although he's bedded many women over the years, is still deeply in love with Indy, but Indy isn't yet ready to forgive him or forget him, and eventually she acknowledges to herself that she never stopped loving him,  but there's no way she plans on telling him that, no matter how many hoops he's willing to jump through to get her back. Indy is also surprised by how comfortable she feels among the rest of the MC, who were once her extended family, and that's especially true of her mom, who missed her terribly while she was gone.

During her 12 year absence, Indy became a physician. Does she now consider herself above Cade? Will he ever succeed in winning back her love? She's perfectly willing to sleep with him during her visit home, Cade thinks she wants him back, and is hurt when he realizes that her intention is to get Cade out of her system, not get him back into her life, but is that even possible?  Can she ever forgive his one drunken indiscretion? Did she judge him too harshly back then? Should she have let him explain before running off?  For answers to these questions, you're going to have to read this emotionally charged and highly engaging novel, which, I should mention, contains a lead-in to the next novel in the series, and it's one that I cannot wait to read--I'm officially hooked on this series, and I think you will be too.

As stated at the outset, I voluntarily read an advance reader copy of this novel. The opinions expressed are my own.
I love a good motorcycle club romance. This is the first book I read by this author but I will continue to read and recommend her books to other romance readers.
What can I say I’m a sucker for biker books. I loved Sons of Anarchy and this story brings me back to that series.

Cade  has loved Ivy since she moved next door to his house. At first they were best friends and he would do anything to protect his best friend. Then things changed he saw her in a different way and the same happened to her but neither would admit it to the other.

They were going to spend their life together but one awful day something bad happens and their relationship will never be the same.

Friends to lovers, bad ass biker book. Can’t wait to read the next book in the series to hear more about Cade and Ivy.
It's been quite a while since I've read an MC book and after diving into this gem I realized what I've been missing. This is the first book I've read by this author and I'll definitely be reading more. I really enjoyed the hero and heroine 's story and journey.
I hate to start a review with a warning, but I feel like I need to with Kings of Mayhem. In short, this book is NOT for everyone. You can pretty much tell from the description that mistakes were made, hearts were broken and a lot more that may offend some readers.

Motorcycle clubs are like a different world, at least to me. There’s a strong family dynamic along with a hierarchy that is just as strong. There’s also a very fine line between right and wrong and they have their own brand of justice for those they feel deserve it. It explains a lot of what happened and what was ignored while Cade and Indy were growing up, but it still didn’t make it right. It also explained why Indy wanted to leave that life behind as soon as she could. Cade’s betrayal made it happen sooner than expected. Things may have turned out differently if she would have listened to Cade’s explanation, but some things can’t be fixed. At least not right away…

I liked the glimpses into Cade and Indy’s past – it helped readers understand exactly how strong the connection between them really was. It also helped me realize that there was more to Cade’s actions in their past than Indy realized. It didn’t make it any less wrong, but it definitely made me sympathize with him just a little. Cade may have been the one to “break” them, but she wasn’t the only one who suffered. He ended up fairly broken too.

I’m going to end this review with one more warning… if you’re not a fan of cliff hangers, wait until you can get your hands on Brothers in Arms. You can thank me later 😉
Not the typical motorcycle book. It was more about people than the club. Both main characters had grown a lot and after ten years. Learned a lot except how much they still loved each other. Would that be enough to fix their lives?
There were parts of this book that I enjoyed. I liked that the entire book wasn't focused on the MC lifestyle. That the story was more about them than it was about the MC. Too often authors focus the other way around.

That said, there was a great deal that I didn't like.

The characters are incredibly immature, especially Indy. We're lead to believe she's a trauma surgeon which means she's probably at least what mid to late 20's? She acts like she's still in high school! The constant crying, acting like a b*tch and lying is not handling things like an adult. Also, I found it unrealistic that she can extend her time off from the hospital without a second thought. Obviously they would have granted her time off for the funeral but initially she has no plans to stay for the wedding and then suddenly she's at the wedding.

Cade...yeah he was just an ass for most of the book and when he wasn't, he was a love sick puppy. I get that he was head over heels in love with her and made a mistake. BUT why not use the mistake to change who he is? I felt for him especially after learning the hand his father had in the whole thing. BUT I think he made it worse by basically sleeping with anything that moved. I don't see how that was his way of still being in love with Indy.

The book ends on a cliffhanger though our couple does get a happily ever after for now. I was hoping the next book would be about a different couple but it's still about the same couple so I'm not sure I'm going to continue the series.

** ARC received from Netgalley **
Spoiler free review.
Reunited after over a decade apart, Indy left after her heart was destroyed, leaving behind her world and friends to repair her life until she was called back.  This is a full story of tragic love, making up, fighting for, action, sex and justice to make everything at least better in ways...
Awsome book! Very well written and amazing plot to keep the readers hooked in its thraws. I'm really looking forward to more of this author's works!!
King of Mayhem is the first book of the Kings of Mayhem series. I saw this book on Netgalley and I was really intrigued by the synopsis and lately I have been in the mood for MC romances (not sure why) but I really was also in the mood to try out a new author, I don’t do it too often and Penny Dee is definitely a new to me author. I would like to point out that this book contains a cliffhanger and even though I HATE cliffhangers, I will mention that the cliffhanger in this story is not around the relationship, that has a more HFN feeling, but there are other events that leaves you hanging and I am curious on how the next book will develop.

Cade and Indy have been in love since they were children. They were next door neighbors, grew up together, protected each other and were each other’s firsts. They also both were raised in the Kings of Mayhem MC. They had every hope for the future, but right when they were ready to go to college, Cade and Indy were broken apart and Indy left home and the man she loved and became a highly respected ER Doctor. But when her father dies, she comes home for his funeral and is thrown back in the world she had tried to forget and also and has to face up to Cade once more, the man she never stopped loving.

I was really on board with these two, although I did find that Indy was way judgmental and I didn’t care for her character too much to be honest at least until the end there. I found the story to be a quick  and easy read, and I did like Cade quite a bit. He never gives up on fighting for Indy and what they have always had together. I really adored his determination but there is quite a bit of lessons that Indy has to learn and to overcome her own mistakes and judgments. But I am curious to see what will happen in book two. *crossing my fingers* I will enjoy seeing these two again and may it not have another cliffhanger and will be a winning conclusion
This one was a bit hard to rate, so am giving it 3.5 stars. I will admit that I like the story but when it kept going back into the past of our main characters I got a bit frustrated. Some of what they went through as children was insightful but not all of it. It also seen like our female lead character could not seem to make up her mind. All in all it was a good read and it did keep my interest in it.
Extremely entertaining, captivating, and interesting read. I could not put it down. Wonderfully written with strong and intriguing characters. I want to read more from this author. I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
I am a huger sucker for any books that the story about motorcycle clubs, and even more so when its a new author to me (I am always looking for new authors to read). KINGS OF MAYHEM by Penny Dee was just that, a new book series about a motorcycle club and a new author to me.

Cade and Indy story, where to begin, I don't know if I can form the right words to do this book justice. The story line was just great, Indy left town to escape the motorcycle world, she saw what it did to her mother and she wanted no part of that after walking in on the love her life, Cade, in bed with another women, but when her dad dies she knows the right thing to do is go home to say goodbye. But as the old saying goes "who says you cant go home", Indy does and she's intent on just going for the funeral, but things never work out the how they should, especially once she meets up Cade again and sparks fly all over the place.

This book has it all, the club life, and second chance romance with all the feels, I cannot wait to dive into the second book of the series (which is patiently waiting on my kindle). I would give KINGS OF MAYHEM 4/5 stars.
This is one of those books that you completely get into from page 1.  Cade Calley, son of the President of the Kings of Mayhem MC was in love with Indy Parrish, they were going to College together and were planning their lives.  Cade might have grown up in the MC world, but that wasn't where he saw his future.

Indy was going to be a doctor when she finished College and her future with Cade was all mapped out but the Club had other ideas and the night before they were to leave, Indy stumbled on a scene that would haunt her forever and the future took a very different turn, one that would haunt her for the next twelve years until tragedy brings her back to Destiny and the one person she had hoped to have been a part of her past.

An excellent book and one I would highly recommend.  Looking forward to Brothers In Arms.

Thanks to NetGalley and Penny Dee for the opportunity to read and review this title.
Indy and Cade are an awesome read. I went through every emotion imaginable reading their story. I cant express how much i loved them and cant wait for the next installment.
This was a solid start to a new MC series. I’d call it MC light because they are trying to stay as clean as possible. I love second chance romance stories and this was a good one. I loved the story and the characters. I can’t wait for the next book in the series!
Cade and Indigo grew up together in the MC and as they grew up, fell for each other.  Then Cade broke her heart and Indy left, now it is 12 years later and she is back to bury her father.  Will Indy give Cade the second chance he wants or keep him in the past.  Great read with lots of drama and emotion.  The story has great characters and steamy chemistry.  I loved it!