Timepiece

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Apr 2019

You only think you know what happened at Waterloo... This story is an interesting take on time travel in the Regency period.

In an attempt to save themselves at the battle of Waterloo, Wellington's forces call upon a race of monsters created by a madman nearly a quarter of a century before. But the price for using such magic will be collected seventy years ahead in the future.
When Elizabeth Barton receives a mysterious parcel with an old and elegant pocketwatch, things start to get a little weird. She and William Carrington, a solider wounded in the Peninsula, are whisked away to the future... Seventy years in the future to be exact. They land in a Victorian England filled with clockwork machines and booming industry. Like two members of Regency/Georgian England would be they are completely shocked to meet a band of resistance fighters. Elizabeth is the prim and proper seventeen year old that her parents raised a young lady to be, where as most women in her newfound land are pant wearing... gun shooting... women of somewhat questionable character. It is, to say the least, a culture shock for our young heroine.
A definitely different set of stories that remind me of the science fiction that was popular 30 years ago.  Set in the Napoleonic era, I'm not sure how much of the young adult market they will draw.  I found the book interesting but a little confusing until I figured out the time jumps.  Then the story lines "clicked".  The time travel interactions made the book.  I'm looking forward to book #2.
I read time travel, so count me in. There's an introduction in the book about the special setting where, from our POV, people from one historical setting visit another one. Besides it is set in an alternative steampunk London where monsters and the machines that were meant to keep them in check roam around.

This is a good example of how thing gradually became worse, with the solution being even worse than the problem and this for several problems. Luckily there is a bunch of time traveling pocket watches available and some young people who are willing to use it to rid the world once and for all of these problems. Our main characters are from Georgian England and it is clear that HG Wells and the like have not yet been around, because of course they should have realized right from the start that History doesn't want to be changed and that these things NEVER end well.

The story was a bit slower than I expected. While they do jump around in time quite some, I was perhaps still used to the mayhem that is St Mary's in that other Time Travel series that I'm reading. I'm however, not entirely on board with the rules of the time travel in this one, especially since they glance over (or at least give a unsatisfactory answer) to two of the most important paradoxes of time travel. I hope this will be resolved a bit better in the next book, which I hope to read soon.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
I read all 3 books in this trilogy and I would highly recommend all three! All 3 books had:
Great writing with strong language skills.
Good plot that will make you turn pages fast.
Great plot that will make you crave more!
I hope to read more books by this author for sure!
Good characters and fun to see what happens when you "mess" with time. Beginning on the day of the Battle of Waterloo. As the story progressed it became clear that other fictional elements had been woven into the plot, most notably from Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. It seemed altogether too easy for Heather to inventively write her way out of problems, and I felt that difficulties raised early on were side-stepped later. Certain constraints in the time travel part were set up, but did not seem to be followed through consistently if the plot seemed to require otherwise. Alternate history books are a fascinating look into unrealised possibilities, but I did not find this one very compelling. I will stick with it to see if it improves.
Timepiece is an addicting time-travel steam punk novel that you won't be able to put down!

Whether you enjoy 19th century history or not, this book is an exceptional pick. Albano rewrites history time and again as Maxwell, Elizabeth and William try to change the dreaded future from becoming reality.

Elizabeth is discontent with her cushy, yet controlled, life in 1815. When she is sent a magical timepiece that throws her and an acquaintance, William, 70 years into the future to 1885, they find Britain is overrun by robot like monsters. It is their good fortune that Maxwell, a fellow time traveler finds them and brings them to meet his friends, rather than them being captured and their timepiece discovered.

As they help their new friends the next day and see this terrible reality, they find that once disaster strikes and they return home that they can not, in good conscious, stay there and let the future unfold as it does.

Elizabeth is such a fascinating protagonist. While growing up in a life of plenty, she is not like most of the young women of her era. She is adventurous and inquisitive, bold and brave, and above all, fiercely loyal to those she cares about. Through the novel, she is willing to risk everything, her life included, to save others.

William, while much less vibrant than Elizabeth, is caring and intelligent, and a nice contrast to Elizabeth. Maxwell is somewhat of an enigma. We haven't heard his back story yet, however, it feels like the author may giving some foreshadowing hints if I am reading into it correctly.

The writing is fantastic. Albano's work feels very seasoned and is both intriguing and addicting. Her work seems quite researched. While she obviously puts her own spin on events, there are certainly parts that lend from actual history as well. The story is congruent with history up until Waterloo, where one vital decision completely changes the timeline.

I can't wait to start the next book and am anxious to see where Maxwell, Elizabeth and William will go in the next novel!
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from Netgalley.com and the publisher Stillpoint Digital Press
Prometheus.  Thanks to both for the opportunity to read and review.

Time travel is again at the forefront of the story. Ms. Albano tries hard but this story is a bit of a miss. To call this a steampunk story is a bit of a reach. Not a difficult read, it tries too hard to be too clever.

2 out of 5 stars.
The first in a trilogy of timetravel cum cyberpunk novels that read like some undiscovered manuscripts of H.G. Wells.

Time travel, yes, but the adventurers through whose eyes we see events future and past (for them) are not from OUR present, nor indeed our future, but from 1815. Their future is 1885, a cyberpunk Empire under threat from the descendants of Frankenstein’s monsters, and from the oppressive regime that has evolved to deal with them.

The writing is strong – it’s such a pleasant surprise to read a book of this type and not instantly think “fan-fiction” – as is the characterisation and feel for historical detail. As I said, it evokes a feeling of reading Wells, but with admixtures of Jane Austen and Mary Shelley.

Interesting, original, and well worth reading!