40 Verses to Ignite Your Faith

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 May 2019

40 Verses to Ignite your Faith” by Laurie Polich Short is an inspiring book of 40 exclusive Bible verses for all who seek God’s wisdom and hope. We encounter the God who breathes life into dead bones, the God who weeps and the invisible God who is visible through our eyes of faith, as we sit in the silence of God, waiting to hear from Him.
These 40 specially selected Bible verses are “the lesser known Scriptures to help us discover new angles to breathe life into our faith.” God’s amazing grace always gives us “second chances, fresh starts and new beginnings.” Trusting God in despair requires a resilient faith that will never give up, whatever the cost. God pulls out all the stops for us to taste His love. “You are the God who sees me… I have now seen the One who sees me” – (Genesis 16:13). These inspiring words boost and bolster our faith like nothing else. We have a God who sees us in our pain, when we are utterly alone. God is with us in our sufferings. We are never alone.  I highly recommend this book to all who desire to taste God’s love in all its fullness.
Just what I was looking for. Definitely excited to dive deeper into these verses and set aside time to read the bible.
This book wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I thought it would be more about the verses themselves but the majority of the book was an interpretation of the Bible verses. Each section contains a verse at the beginning and then Short gives a commentary on it. Going into the book, I thought it would have verses that I could memorize or post up, but I didn't find that was the case. For example, one verse was 2 Samuel 11:1 "In the spring, at the time when kings go off to war, David sent Joab out with the king's men and the whole Israelite army." Even with Short's commentary on it, I don't think memorizing the verse would encourage me or ignite my faith.

Nevertheless, the book does pull out verses and portions of stories that people often don't focus on, like the verse I mentioned above which starts the story of David and Bathsheba. This book may encourage and ignite some people's faith and found it somewhat interesting but it fell short of what I expected.
"40  Verses to Ignite Your Faith "  by  Laurie Polich  Short is a helpful book for the  Christian.  It  can be  used as a devotional.  The  passages  center on one   verse . The author  explains the  verse  first.  After the explanation with the back round the  author applies the  verse to the Christian life.  The   applications  are wonderful and help the  reader think  about their  life.  The  insights are very  valuable. After the   application  portion there are  reflection questions.   These are passages in the Bible   the reader may not think in  this deep of a level.  They are unique passages.  The   book  takes the  reader to another level of reflection.   The author has  been on PBS, Focus on the Family,  World magazine.  This book was  given to me to read and review by the  publisher and netgalley. I am not  obligated to give a positive    review.  I have given  a  fair  review of this  book. Thank you to the publisher for allowing me to read and review this book.
I truly enjoyed reading 40 verses to Ignite your faith. It was well written and well thought out.
I received a copy of this book from the Publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Laurie Polich Short's new book, 40 Verses to Ignite Your Faith:Surprising Insights from Unexpected Passages, proves to be a gem.  She takes forty "in-between" verses and helps readers better understand how God works.  She helps readers graspt the fact that God often speaks in a whisper rather than a shout, and He uses our fears, disappointments, and difficulties, as well as what seems to be His own silence, to draw us into a closer relationship with Himself.  In fact, Short goes as far as to say that sometimes God risks our belief in order to deepen our undrstanding of who He is and how He works.  40 Verses to Ignite Your Faith is broken down into forty short chapters.  But don't think this is a book you can just whizz through.  Each chapter deserves to be chewed on and puzzled over until the truths of God's Word sink deep down into your soul.  Short biblically and masterfully deals with topics like doubt, growing trust in God that's bigger than what you have now, courage to see the biggeer story, learning the lessons God has for us in times of exile, and the power in our thorns.  At the end of each short chapter, Short also includes some reflection questions to help readers really grasp the faith-building truths of those "in-between" verses.  If you're looking for something different, and you're willing to spend some time thinking through some of the less familiar passages to discover some hard, but rewarding biblical truths, pick up this book and take some time working through it.

Note:  I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for this honest review:  However, the opinions expressed are my own.
Laurie Short has done a very nice job putting together this book. It accomplishes what it says it will do - ignite your faith through the Word of God. In an interesting twist, she uses verses that are not commonly chosen as faith-building verses. Yet, in each verse she is able to show the goodness of God.