Cover Image: City of Fear

City of Fear

Gripping from the start. It's a page turner. I could play every scene in my head like a movie.
Gang members were murdered and detectives should solve this case. It's chaos. Fast paced, full-packed action and thriller.
I enjoyed it very much.
Slow yet paced mystery thriller novel!

First, the title is appropriate since the crime takes place in crime city full of gangs

Second, the author keeps the readers engaged by revealing one hint at a time and building suspense gradually.

Third, the suspects were obvious: however, I loved how the author shared how the culprits were caught!

I would recommend this book to my friends! Thank you Netgalley for allowing me to review and share my thoughts on the book.
A thrilling read which kept me turning the pages, characters you care for and just brilliantly written.  Great novel!!
#NetGalley #City of Fear #Crooked Lane Books

City of Fear is the first novel I've read by Larry Enmon, I enjoyed it and look forward to reading more by this author.

Well written with some likeable and some very unlikeable characters. Action packed and suspenseful, enough twists and turns that kept me guessing what was going to happen next. I do hope that this is a series, I would love to read more stories with these characters.
Here we have a very well written police procedural with excellent characters. There's also a little mystery, a little romance, and some action. The descriptions are just right in format, and the story is moving along at a very good pace.
When a gang war breaks out in Dallas detectives Frank Pierce and Rob Solis are on the case, but right from the start, things don’t add up. The first victim appears to have been scared to death, a voodoo doll left at the scene the only clue, and a military-trained sniper is taking down gang leaders left and right in a very atypical modus operandi for gang-related killings.

There’s some great stuff here, particularly in the extremely realistic feel all the police scenes have, from a black female lieutenant worrying about having her chops busted by the higher-ups to the stresses and strains the families of police officers have to live with every day. The author is a former law enforcement officer, and it really shines through in his writing.

However, there’s also some weirdly disjointed things which bothered me, and the story could definitely do with some professional editing and proofreading, with grammatical errors cropping up on just about every page. Point of view switched constantly from Frank to Rob, sometimes without clear delineation, and then we started getting Jesse’s PoV mixed in as well. Since Jesse became a protagonist, and was painted as a sympathetic one at that, I was particularly displeased by the outcome of her story.

The climax didn’t make a lot of sense in the context of the story. Frank’s judgement was so compromised he didn’t even ask the killer how they perpetrated the crime and escaped the scene without being spotted. If I was his partner, there would have been a lot more pointed questions being asked than Rob’s essential shrugging off of the problem.

All the good parts of this story can’t erase the fact that the ending was deeply dissatisfying. Two stars.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for review through NetGalley.
Nifty thriller/procedural/buddy cop novel set in Dallas. A shooter took out a narcotrafficker and that has led to a real mess- the sort of shooting war no one wins. Even worse, civilians are hit.  Rob Soliz and Frank Pierce are the cops assigned to solve it. They actually were on site when the first killing happened and they saw a mysterious woman and now they've got to find her, among other things.  This pulls a lot into a fairly slim volume but it's a good fast read.  I'm also a fan of these two police officers, who have great interactions.  Thanks to netgalley for the ARC.  Would make a good movie.
My first reaction to reviewing this book is, nothing to see here, move along.  There is a killer in Dallas. The killer is the kind you think maybe you should just leave alone.  The shooter, who appears to be a trained sniper, is going about Dallas killing drug kingpins.

The rest of the story is keeping count of the killings and listening to the cops complaining that they have nothing on the killer, who seems to be able to disappear into the air after each murder.  So blah blah blah blah, we catch the killer, yeah us, lets have a beer. Uh
I wanted to love it but the references  to voodoo were too much for me.. It might work for others but wasn’t my thing. Thank you Netgalley for ARC for my review.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end. This was a book that once I started it I read it to the finish, I did not stop. Two Dallas Detectives are on a stack out of a known drug dealer’s house. Rob and Frank hear and see flashes of gun shots inside of the home. Frank thinks he saw a red-headed woman, but when they go in there is no sign of her. Also, the drug dealer is dead but not shot though he fired his weapon across the room hitting nothing but the wall. Yet Ricardo Salazar is dead, he is standing up with no apparent wounds of any kind, but there is a voodoo doll at his feet with a pin stuck through the eye. Still, no sign of the red headed women and for Frank and Rob, this is only the beginning of the mysteries and also the killings. The killings begin to increase after a while when New York decides to send a hit man or women to town to take out more dealers. Now, this is beginning to affect supply from Chicago and in the department, Frank is being looked on by the Lt. to find some answers. A book that will keep you going from the police, to the drug people, to the mafia in New York and to Frank searching for the red headed women. You also get the side if the contract killer that New York sent and with all of this you have the makings for an excellent book. All of the characters are good along with the story that moves along at a good pace. A very good book and worth the read.
Well worth the read. With great, believable dialogue and enough back story for the main characters to give them depth,
With a likeable flawed protagonist. I happened upon this book by chance and figured I'd give it a try. I was not disappointed.
Someone has the streets of Dallas feeling like a murder scene. The residents are being killed but the police are stumped and not too worried about finding the killer at first.  Why?  The victims are drug dealers and their bosses.  But when the killers start taking including innocents in their tally, the cops get tough.  Dallas is the scene for a lot of books.  It's big enough to swallow a whole lot of evil and still keep running.  Larry Enmon captures Dallas and the backstory of his characters so well that you forget the Texas factor while he police try to pin down their clues and come up with very little.  As the story continues, you'll feel as if you were right there with them.  The good guys win in the end, but they have to work hard to get there.

Someone’s taking out drug lords left and right in Dallas. But this can only mean there’s a bigger threat out there.

The unexpected killing of Dallas drug king-pin Ricardo Salazar sets everyone on edge. A New York crime family is up in arms about the loss of a major narcotics supplier. The Dallas Police dread the ensuing gang war but Detectives Rob Soliz and Frank Pierce were on the scene at the time of the shooting. They both saw a mysterious red-haired woman enter Ricardo’s just moments before, but she was never seen leaving. Instead, all they found inside the house was a dead man and a voodoo doll at his feet.

Rob and Frank search for the redhead. She is the key to unravelling the crime. But finding her only presents more questions than answers. Frank knows she’s not being honest but can’t prove a direct connection to the murder. As the gang war heats up, the body count rises, and innocent citizens are caught in the crossfire. Political pressure mounts and New York sends an enforcer to settle the Ricardo score. Now, Rob and Frank may be Dallas’s only hope, but how do you fight something that only exists in myth?

As happy as I was to read about the murder of a drug king-pin (they should all fall to the death penalty IMHO) I guess that I can see the problem behind it when innocent people start to die- it amazed me to feel that maybe it was better that the drug lord was alive.  I have never read any of the Soliz and Pierce books before but they are fascinating characters and I look forward to reading more of the author's books featuring them.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it (a very cheeky) 💊💊💊💊💊
Great story about some smack-down 'voodoo' in big "D".  This was an exciting read that kept me wondering.  The background of the real world experiences of the author makes this a great "could happen" thriller.  Write on!!
City of Fear is the first novel I've read by Larry Enmon. Two detectives in Dallas are investigating the deaths of drug dealers and gang members. The story unfolds with many twists and turns from beginning to end. Of course, a war between gangs is in play, as well as the mafia. The story is a bit dark with a little voodoo involved, but it's nothing bad. It adds to the suspense of the story. The main characters are clever, likeable and entertaining. I found them very engaging. There are some shady characters involved as well. The story is well written and moves along at a steady pace. You will want to know what happens next. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoyed reading this book. It had a good story to it. I liked the variety of characters in it. It is my first book read by this author. I hope to read more books by this author.
I really enjoyed this book, probably the most enjoyable book I’ve read in a while. The two main detectives in the book Rob and Frank are really interesting characters and the author does a great job of describing their past which gives you some great insight into their current personality traits. There are lots of unexpected twists and turns in this book with a great plot, which kept my on the edge of my seat.   I hope the author writes another Frank and Rob crime novel, and includes Alma in his next book as she was a fascinating character and she added to the storyline.
One of the first books in a long, long time that I couldn't put down! It (happily) caused me a night of lost sleep trying to finish it. A story of "someone" who is assassinating gang members/drug dealers in Dallas, and the two detectives assigned to solve the cases. Throw in a little voodoo, the mafia, a gang war, and some mysterious characters and you have the makings of a great book! Seriously, the author (a retired U.S. Secret Service agent), really knows his stuff.
I liked the character development of all of the main people. Enough to make you feel like you know them, but not so much that it overwhelms the story. The pace is fast moving and flows very well.
I loved it so much that I cannot wait to read his other book.
Enmon could be the next great crime author!