I Know You

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 May 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this thriller. I read and finished it during vacation, so I'm a little late in writing my review. I hope I can still do it justice here.

I Know You follows the lonely life of Taylor, pregnant and in a new country with her husband.  Her only friends are Twitter, Instagram and most other social media sites.  Once she starts to meet new people in real life (after essentially finding them on the internet), things get a little crazy.

This world of social media, although mostly harmless, keeps getting more dangerous and I Know You exposes the dangers.  You think you know somebody...

This was an easy and quick read.  The end left a little to be desired. It ended quite abruptly in my opinion.  That was the only part that left me a bit dissatisfied but not enough to be upset with the whole book.  Great beach read!
This is such a hard book to review because I loved it, but I also didn't.
The story was perfect, the plot definitely had me gripped right from the start and I didn't want to put it down, but I also really didn't like or connect with any of the characters. They're memorable but for all the wrong reasons and I got seriously frustrated with them all throughout the whole book. There were plenty of times when I wanted to climb in and shake them. So many 'this is getting a bit stupid now' moments that really irritated me. And I also think that the characters were made too obvious. I can't explain properly without spoiling it, but just some things weren't necessary at all and it ruined the 'twist' quite a bit.
The rest of it though was brilliant, a little bit over-explained but it does add really well to the story, you feel like you're in Taylor's head quite a lot and when you don't know what to expect from her, that's pretty exciting. I did see the ending coming pretty early on but I was still really intrigued to see whether I was right and like I said, I was completely gripped.
It was a good book I would definitely recommend reading it, just bare in mind that you aren't likely to love the characters, but it's worth reading for the story.
Thank you to NetGalley, the author and the publishers for my arc copy to review.
ALL THE STARS!!!! I needed this after being in a little reading slump and I could not put this down. The writing was perfect; extremely descriptive, enthralling, without being too wordy.
Taylor is pregnant and recently moved to London with her husband who was recently unfaithful and she is desperate to make new friends. She ends up making two friends through a walking group, Anna and Simon. She also joins a book club adding Caroline and Sarah to the mix.
My favorite thing about this was between some chapters there were these "I know you" chapters where you could tell some crazy was watching someone and knew some very intimate details, but you don't know who is being watched or who is doing the watching.
I won't go into any details because I don't do spoilers. I love when I'm blown away by an ending after thinking I have it figured out.. Highly recommend when this publishes June 21, 2019.
Absolutely loved this book!
Kept me wondering until the very end, an excellent book
Would definitely recommend it
This was a fun thriller. I liked the plot, characters and the writing (the writing was really good). I also liked that I related to Taylor's loneliness. Thanks to NetGalley and HQ for the chance to read this - I am so grateful!
This was a solid 5-star thriller for me. I loved the way the story went back and forth from a known narrator to an unknown narrator with evil intentions. I changed my mind a few times about who the evildoer was, before it was revealed. It also was thought provoking, in terms of how much of our personal lives are available to strangers on social media if the proper precautions aren't taken.

* Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
Absolutely fantastic had me gripped!!! Loved it! Can't wait for more from.this author. Storyline was great, characters were easy to.connect with

What a fantastic read!! This is the kind of story that grabs your attention and keeps you trying to figure out who it is. Just when I thought maybe I knew who it was... I was wrong. Loved the way the story was told through Taylor’s voice and then the unknown person. So good how it all unfolded at the end. Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for the ARC!
Pregnant Taylor moved from America to be with her husband but she hadn't realised how lonely it would be, living in a town where she knew noone & with her husband working away a lot she began to live her life through others social media posts. In an attempt to make friends she joined a local walking group and met Anna, another pregnant woman with a husband who worked away. As the weeks passed the two spent a lot of time together. It was amazing how much they had in common- or was it?

This was a good exciting read. It made you realise how social media can be a great thing or a great mistake. I really enjoyed it & the revelation came as a compete surprise. Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this book.
Taylor is married to Jake and living in London.  Having come from California, she is trying to acclimate herself to the cold weather.  In an effort to make friends, she has joined a walking group.  She is also pregnant and having spent too much time on social media, she needs to branch out and get with “read” people.

She meets Simon at the walking group.  He is an older, single man taking care of his ailing father.  She also meets Anna whose husband is working in Qatar and Taylor hopes they will become good friends.

Taylor’s neighbor, Sarah stops in to introduce herself and invites her to join a book club.  She is delighted to do so and invites Anna to join too.

Jake travels a lot leaving Taylor alone for days at a time.  The loneliness of it is hard on her.  He had cheated on her once which makes trusting him difficult.

Soon, Taylor and Anna have a begun a great friendship and spend lots of time together.  As both of them are pregnant and their husbands are gone most of the time, it’s comforting for each of them to have a good friend.  What could go wrong with that?

This book explores the friendships that women maintain and the honesty they share with one another.  I think men rarely have friends as close as women do.  But sometimes they can go all wrong.

Wow!  What a good book.  I wasn’t expecting such an exciting buildup to a breath-taking ending.  This is what I call a Thriller!

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Compelling and thought-provoking. We are all guilty of posting snippets of our lives on social media, now this book has made me stop and think. A good fast-paced psychological thriller that will keep you hooked. Just don't trust everyone you know.
The premise of the book is interesting, driven by the trend of sharing one's life on social media and posting regular updates. The story follows Taylor, a young woman from California who recently moved to UK, alternating her point of view and that of an anonymous stalker who closely follows her and her new group of friends' social media accounts. While i found the plot attractive, I wasn't won by the way it unfolded. I prefer a slower rhythm and the pace of this novel felt too quick at times. It didn't give allow for a more detailed development of the characters'. I also think a thriller is not only about shocking twists, and found that in recent years many crime& thriller novels try to pull out unexpected twists towards the final chapters. It might be appealing to read a couple of novels of this style, but after a while as a reader you come familiar with this tactic and its original shock/entertaining value is lost.
You trust me.
You shouldn’t.
That picture you just posted on Instagram? I’ve seen it.
The location you tagged? I’ve been there.
You haven’t been careful enough, have you?
Because I know all about you.
But when I meet you, I won’t tell you that.
I’ll pretend. Just like you do.
You’ll like me though. You’ll trust me enough to let me into your life.
And then I’ll destroy it.

This was an amazing gripping psychological thriller that will make you think twice about social media!
This  is told from two POVs (Taylor and her stalker). It gives few clues to who the stalker is and keeps you guessing til the end.
This is a creepy, raise the hairs on the back of the neck type read.
I love the characters that were created for this.
Love the plot and storyline with how it was delivered.
Loved this book!
Really recommend reading!

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for proving me a digital ARC; this is my own honest voluntary review.
The social media angle in I know you by Annabel Kantaria is what first grabbed my attention. I have read a number of thrillers that show the dark side of social media but I am still intrigued by the subject.

In this story, Taylor moves to a new country with her husband, Jake. She is desperate to make friends and this is one of the reasons why she joins a walking group and a book club. She meets a few new people including Anna and Simon. Anna is pregnant like Taylor so it seems like the perfect match. Simon is a bit hard to describe. He seems like a good man though he is kinda awkward too.

The story mainly revolves around Taylor’s marriage and her friendships. It had a nice flow to it that was easy to follow but I still feel like some tension was missing. There were hints that something sinister was to come and chapters narrated by a stalker helped keep things interesting.

In the end, this was an interesting read that held my interest to the end. I enjoyed the characters and the mystery. I do wish there was a little more tension or surprises. Things picked up towards the end but with the build up, I guess I was expecting something more intense. The social media angle didn’t disappoint though. Again, it reminded me of the need to keep some things offline. You never know who is reading or rather, watching you online.
This is a quick, very addictive read, told from two POVs (Taylor and her stalker) and might make you think twice about your use of social media.  There are several clues to the stalkers identity but I didn’t guess, and as an Instagram user I found it all pretty scary.  A gripping psychological thriller.
When I read a thriller, I pause after the first few chapters and make a theory about the rest of the plot line and possible twists, red herrings, unreliable narrators, etc. Of course you don't want to know everything because that would make the rest of the read predictable and boring. Unfortunately, that is what happened with this one. I figured it all out because it has all been done before. Not necessarily all in one book or in the way it was done but still predictable.

So maybe I have read a few too many thrillers, since I have read hundreds of them at this point. Maybe I should not expect to be shocked and awed anymore by the plot twists. Okay. I can understand that and review the book despite this.

Characters: I was really bored by all the characters expect the anonymous stalker. I really liked the creepy aspect it added to the book. However, it didn't carry over to the rest of the characters that felt boring and guarded. I wanted to know more abut them, build more of a personality. The constant gas lighting was just too much for me.

Plot:  I was a flight attendant. I am now pregnant. I am not from here.  I want to make a new friend. Hi new friend. Lets hand out.  -- I needed more.

Logic: I can't go into details without spoilers so I will have to be vague. I found it to not be believable. You would know more about the people that are in your life. I don't think the police would have hendled  it in that way.

Intrigue: I was bored through out the entire book. I predicted the plot line from the beginning and hope that even if I was correct that the character development would have made up for it.

Overall, I would give this one a pass. It is not horrible but it is dull and predictable.
"Be choosy with your clothes, be choosy with your make up, be choosy with what you put in your mouth and with whom you share a bed, but most of all, be choosy with whom you make friends."

If only Taylor had taken her mothers advice.

Taylor recently moved from California to a London suburb with her husband Jake. Turns out life here isn't as glamorous as she had hoped. With Jake away for work most of the time she finds herself pregnant and lonely and wishing the time away until Jake's return. All of that changes when she decides to join a walking group and book club.

Now that Taylor has found a group of friends (Anna, Simon, Sarah, and Caroline) life begins looking up again. The only problem is that someone is watching Taylor very, very closely and they want to destroy her life and it could be anyone. When you post every detail of your life on social media that information could fall into the wrong hands. Dangerous hands.

This book held my interest from beginning to end so that is a huge plus. Is it without flaws? Of course not. I had a few issues along the way but none of those issues were enough to ruin the reading experience. It's a fast, easy read that I was able to finish in just over a day and while I may not remember this months down the road it was still an enjoyable reading experience. Toss this one in your beach bag! 3.5 stars!

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for proving me a digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.
This book was insane. From start to (almost) end. It was wildly, fascinatingly, creepy.  It toyed with my head in the best ways, I struggled to figure out who was who and who was behind what. Each character had a sort of strangeness to them, you couldn’t quite put a pin down for each one right away. Taylor was uncomfortable desperate, attention seeking, unable to move forward, exactly what you warn your children about with social media. I spent a good portion of the book wanting to tell her to stop mopping about and put the god damn phone down. Jake was rude, distant, overall just really kind of a shit husband, I felt his character was very dull even when he was around. Something was always strange about Anna, Caroline was your classic hard-shelled bitch with a soft interior, Simon was a gentle Lad who always meant well, Sarah was your middle-aged Mother who refused to accept where she was in life. Up until about 80% through I was truthfully going a different direction with where I thought it was going to go. I began to put the pieces into place when the America trip was booked and I will have to agree with almost every review touching on this subject…WHAT the hell was that ending? Seriously? It’s as if the Author had a limited amount of pages she was allowed to write, realized most had been used on the introductions and story build up, then had to cram a half thought end in quickly. For such a strong and intense book throughout, that was such a letdown of an ending. I would absolutely still recommend this book to anyone who loves a good thriller read (and getting a tad creeped out in the process). Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for giving me the opportunity to read this advanced copy, I look forward to more from Annabel Kantaria.
This was a forgettable book. Like any typical domestic thriller, Annabel Kantaria’s I Know You had me on the edge of my seating waiting for that shocking twist ending, but what I got was a disappointing and rushed one.

Taylor is a pregnant American who recently moved to the UK with her husband. He is gone a lot for work, so Taylor is desperately seeking friends. She makes her way online and joins a walking group and a book club — there she meets rather unlikeable friends. They are all active on social media like her, and they’re all a little crazy in their own ways. But Taylor suspects they’re harbouring their own secrets. Will her friendship with one of these loony friends lead to destructive consequences?

The narration goes between Taylor and an anonymous stalker who is keeping tabs on her and her friend’s social media accounts. The story is rather slow and it only felt like a thriller when the infused stalker narrative was brought in. It’s also this book’s only saving grace! The snarkiness from the stalker were rather funny and made this book enjoyable at times.

One aspect that really irritated me, almost pissed me off, was the American narrator speaking like a Brit. It came off as phony. She literally just moved to London and she’s already saying words like “mates” and “mum”? It doesn’t add or lose anything to the plot, but having lived in London for some time, it came off as disingenuous.

I’m on the fence about the role social media played into the story. It gave the book a bit of a boost that it desperately needed, but the modern twist in this thriller freaked me out. Personal preferences aside, you wont look at social media the same way after reading this book. People share every little detail about their lives on social media. This knowledge in the wrong hands could cost you and your loved ones. It really makes you realise you never know who is watching you online and what consequences there could be!

Annabel Kantaria’s I Know You was well executed, but it didn’t wow me. I can’t put my finger on what was missing from this book but it certainly won’t stay with me! While I was excited about the premise of this book, the plot was slow and I really wanted to give up roughly 40% of the way. As an avid reader, I can’t NOT finish a book. So sure enough I did, and that bloody ending made me want to give this book 2 out of 5 stars! The only reason I’m not is because that hilariously relatable stalker narrative! I guess if you’re looking for a book with a slow burn and crappy ending, this one is for you!

Thank you to NetGalley, Crooked Lane Books and Annabel Kantaria for an ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.
I Know You by Annabel Kantaria was an enjoyable novel with some unexpected twists and turns.  Each segment of the story has a 1-2 page narrative that sets up the next several chapters, keeps the story moving along, and sets up additional suspense.  The narrator of these segments is unknown, and at different times I thought it could be different characters involved in the story.  It was an exciting reveal near the end, and gave me a good "oh snap!" moment.  The narrative style of the rest of the story is well done.  The novel is obviously a recollection of past events.  It is also a great commentary on social media and how engrossed people have become with the different platforms.

The story line progressed at a good clip.  I had differing opinions of Taylor, the main character, throughout the book.  I wasn't necessarily drawn into her life to the point that I actually cared about her story, but I was definitely engaged by the book and story telling that I was always anxious to see what was next.  The creepy factor was also high throughout the story which I found attractive and made it tough to set down.

I have not heard of Kantaria prior to this book, but I am anxious to go and explore her other novels because I found her writing to be fantastic.  I found the book to be enjoyable and give it a solid 9.0 out of 10 stars.

I received a free, advanced copy of this novel from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for my thoughts and opinions.