The Hidden Women

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 May 2019

5 stars! I loved this story of love, loss, acceptance, and courage!
Lil is an ATA flyer in the early 1940s at the young age of 16.  She is incredibly brave and strong-minded, and together with two friends, grows a small existing network of people who will help young girls have abortions or have their babies and then place them into loving families for adoption.  Lil is such a loveable character... so multi-faceted and so courageous.
In present day, her niece, Helena, works for a familial research television show and stumbles upon her aunt’s history.  This leads to unearthing family secrets and brings the family closer together than ever.

What a beautiful story! Bravo!
This  Book is not in  entirely different from a lot of books that I have read, but the author keep you intrigued flitting backwards and forwards from nineteen forties to the present day.. I was spellbound by the amount of women that took part in flying during the war.l.. The way their lives interacted with the  men who flew the planes  and their reactions to the women when they got out of the planes .
I always love a book That flits from  the present day to the past .  The whole book kept me going from the first chapter so much That I have now looked at the other books by this author.
Excellent novel in the style of Kate Morton. It was a great perspective of world war 2 and Lillian was fascinating character you could laugh and cry with.
An interesting story that tells of two women, dealing with life about 70 years apart. A single mother working on research discovers a secret about her own family member during World War II. The times may be different, but the challenges of life are very similar. I read this story as quickly as I could. I wanted to get to the end, but at the same time, did not want the story to be finished.
Thanks to NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read The Hidden Women by Kerry Barrett.
I really loved the book, its a captivating story and the book has a beautiful front cover.
The book is set in a dual timeline, you're taken back to England in 1944 and then to England in the current time frame of 2018.
Lilian Miles is the main character, from her struggles as a pregnant teenager, she is taken advantage of by an older married man, how she handles this situation with help from her loving family and how she gets on with her life after her pregnancy is a major part of the story.
Lillian is strong person, she becomes a pilot for the ATA, they transported planes around England during world war 2, women played an important role by transferring planes to different areas and it was vital service needed during the war.
So many male pilots where killed during the war they needed everyone of them to defend English skies and take part in the bombing raids over Germany.. They didn't have male pilots to spare for transporting planes to different locations or when they needed to be moved to be repaired and women were given the chance. Yes women flew big planes, with no navigational support or radio contact.
Also Lilian and her friends, fellow ATA pilots, formed a secret network to help women in a similar situation to what Lilian found herself in, young unwed mothers or women with an unplanned pregnancy were judged harshly back then had very few legal options and support.
Helena Miles is a research assistant for a celebrity tv show, and even though banned from looking at her own families history, she is influenced by the handsome Jack Jones into looking at her dad's and her great Aunt Lilian's past.
As she explores her families past she discovers things that her father had always suspected and secrets about her life her great Aunt Lilian had hidden away.
Helena is a single mum herself and her great aunt had always supported Helena and her quirky family when they needed her.
I really enjoyed reading The Hidden Women, I had no problem in following the dual timeline, it's an interesting story about a family, the second world war, hidden secrets and of course a new romance begins!
I'm a huge fan of historical fiction and The Hidden Women by Kelly Barrett is a ripper of a book.
First book I have read by this author... The cover caught my eye, and I have to say what a fabulous book!
The story of Lillian Miles (Lil) in current time and during WW2 time frame.. It had me hooked as you shared her experiences... abuse, pregnancy, flying planes in the war, an underground network..
Then in current time how her relatives, one a genealogy researcher, uncover what part she played, and how past secrets interfere with current family relationships.
It was beautifully written, giving great insight into experiences many woman would have shared..... A turning point for the better for women in today's world.
Loved the characters and didn't want to put it down!!  Would have loved to hear the outcome re Jack's family... Perhaps the next book??
Giving this 5 stars... Poignant and emotional and wonderful 😁🌹
Wonderful book where the past and the present meet.  As Lil confronts her past she takes her family on a trip that reveals secretes that have been hidden for decades.  Follow the journey of Lil, who loses the innocence is lost at the young age of 15 as WW 2 comes to England.  As Helena uncovers Lil's past, she finds out that not only does Lil fly planes during the war, but she also helps woman that no one else will.
The author did a brilliant job of capturing the time period in this novel.  The characters and plot were also well written.  This was a great piece of historical fiction!
I loved this book! It totally captivated me from the very beginning and while there was a few moments where I rolled my eyes at one of the main characters but i couldn't let that stop me from going on when overall there was so much to enjoy.
This is one of my favourite genres of books. This one most certainly didn’t disappoint
Not only was it a great story but it was also an educational read
The style of writing of this author was different to other books of this genre so that was a welcome change
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from Netgalley.com and the publisher HQ Digital. Thanks to both for the opportunity to read and review.

This book had an excellent premise, though while well researched, the story lacked something for me. Set in dual timelines of modern day and WWII. It's a story of secrets and what we hide and what we tell.

It wasn't a difficult read, but I didn't enjoy the abortion storyline. It wasn't necessary, there are other historical fiction tropes that could have been employed.

3 out of 5 stars.
The Hidden Women’ was perfect reading for me.  I absolutely love anything to do with researching family history and I also love the way skeletons come tumbling out of the closet every once in a while when you uncover a shocking event or even better a scandal!  I have many such skeletons in my own family tree but I won’t bore you with them.  Back to ‘The Hidden Women’ I do go.  Anyway you can appreciate why the synopsis of ‘The Hidden Women’ appealed to me so much.  I couldn’t wait to begin reading and oh my goodness, I absolutely loved reading ‘The Hidden Women’ but more about that in a bit.
The two main female leads in this book are Lillian Miles and her great niece Helena Miles.  We meet Lillian both in the past, during her service in the Second World War and also in the present day when she is residing in a nursing home for retired performers.  I really took to Lillian.  During the war, she works in the traditionally male dominated world of flying.  Lillian is feisty, stubborn, determined, compassionate, gentle and she is very hardworking.  I had a hunch when I first met Lillian that there was something in her past that had deeply scarred her mentally and emotionally and to a degree I was right.  To give exact details would be giving too much away.  The only thing I had a bit of an issue with was the fact that she did something which she knew to be illegal at that time and she could have got into serious trouble over what she did.  Even then though, I could understand why she was doing what she was doing.  I apologise for the cryptic nature of the last few sentences but I am anxious not to give away too much information because I would hate to spoil the book.  Present day Lillian still has all those qualities that I describe but she is very reluctant to discuss her wartime service with Helena for reasons which do become clear in the end.  Helena has her own problems going on.  She is the single mother to a lovely little girl and she has to be both parents because the girl’s birth father doesn’t want to know.  Helena shares a lot of the qualities that her great aunt Lillian has and I think that that is perhaps why they get on so well.  Helena works on a genealogy television show (my ideal job!!) and helps celebrities to research their family trees.  I was so envious of her in that respect.  Helena hasn’t been in a relationship since her child’s father left the scene and it’s fair to say that sparks fly between her and one of her clients. Helena and her client are linked both in the present and in the past.
I have to say that I was hooked on this book from the moment I twigged that a large part of the story focussed on family history.  As I alluded to above, I have researched my own family tree and I find it to be an extremely addictive hobby.  I couldn’t wait to get stuck into the book to see if the families in the book had as many skeletons in their closet as I have in mine.  Reading this book became extremely addictive too.  I just couldn’t stop reading this book because I needed to know what scandalous things Lillian had been up to during the war and to see how Helena’s story panned out.  The pages turned with increasing speed and before I knew what was happening, I had cleared over half of the book.  I was so focussed on the different strands to the story and the different characters that I didn’t realise just how quickly the time was passing.  For me, ‘The Hidden Women’ is a simply unputdownable book.  The book wasn’t exactly glued to my hand but it might as well have been because it came everywhere with me.  I begrudged having to put the book to one side and if I did have to stop reading for any reason, then I immediately counted down the time until I could pick the book up again.  This book had me reading into the night and I decided that sleep is for wimps.
‘The Hidden Women’ is beautifully, sensitively and fantastically written.  There are some pretty distressing information contained within the book and the author treats them realistically but with great compassion and sensitivity at the same time.  The author certainly knows how to grab your attention from the start and keep it all the way through the book.  There are two main timelines in this book with different chapters focussing on the events as they happened to or regarding Lillian during the Second World War and the events as they happened to or regarding Helena in the present day.  The chapters interlink really well and the story flows seamlessly as a result.
To conclude, I absolutely ADORED reading ‘The Hidden Women’ and I will definitely be recommending it to other readers.  I will definitely be seeking out Kerry’s other books and reading them just as soon as I can.  I just know that I will enjoy reading them as much as I have enjoyed reading this one.  I can’t wait to read what she comes up with next.  Here’s hoping that we don’t have too long to wait.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
The Hidden Women by Kerry Barrett is Split Timeline World War II Historical and Modern Fiction. The timelines in the story are well blended and everyone’s story is complete.  I liked that the author wrote each character with age appropriate behavior.  This is an interesting story of how the actions of others and our reactions can affect our entire life.  Very informative book about the women who served their country in World War II.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Netgalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.  I appreciate the opportunity and thank the author and publisher for allowing me to read, enjoy and review this book.
When Helena a researcher for a hit show comes across her own Aunt Lil in her research she is intrigued and continues to look into her history.   Lil was in the ATA in the war and led a full life so how is she going to feel about her niece delving into her past and what secrets will she reveal?

A great book,  I love books about women in the ATA and their stories of ferrying planes around the country for the RAF.  It worked well with the two voices, although I definitely preferred Lil's story.
Great historical fiction which pulls you in. Strong characters and a good story line which draws you in from the word go.
One of the best books I have read in a while.  This dual written tale is gripping and emotional.  It brought historical facts that are not well known, such as women flying planes to be delivered, to my knowledge. I would highly recommend this to anyone to read.
A great book. Fabulous weaving of two timelines. I raced to the end of this. I’m a new fan of this author and am off to find her other works.
Some secrets are better left out in the open.

While I admit I had completely different expectations for this book than what the story delivered and it took me quite a while to get into the story, once I finally did, I enjoyed it.

Helena, an uptight, Type-A with an interesting job, a wonderful daughter, a chaotic family and a new love interest, was surprisingly relatable. But it was her Great Aunt Lil that captivated me. Lil's story was inspiring, tragic and powerful. I think I could have read an entire book just on Lil.

The one aspect of this book that I wish had been revealed in the synopsis was the potential triggers it contained. This book does cover topics of rape, unplanned pregnancies, abortion, abandonment and postpartum depression.
I loved this book and learning more about the war years and the brave women who lived through it. I loved the characters and plot.
Excellent read. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for letting me review this book
Loved this book because it was interesting  and full of war time facts.I liked the two stories, they kept me reading to see what would happen  next. Book was written compassionately and honestly. I read it in one evening.