Light from Other Stars

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Mar 2019

Given that I loved The Book of Speculation, I was looking forward to reading this book. What an enchanting and lovely tale this is too. It was hard not to fall in love with Nedda Papas, the delightful Eleven-year-old start of this book with her obsession with becoming an astronaut. But when you add to that the story of her parents grief over the loss of her brother and then the lengths her father goes to try and 'save' her childhood, it becoms a much more powerful story. I'm not sure it totally works but enough of it does, and the writing is superb.
To be honest Light from Other Stars was difficult for me to finish and not what I expected based on the books description and cover. While I knew Light from Other Stars was science-fiction it was easy to become lost in the massive amounts of imagined science, time travel, life cycle continuum's, and space crammed into this book. In general, I enjoyed the story of Nedda Papas, her family, and her dream of one day becoming an astronaut, but felt that the exaggerated amount of science-fiction content took away from the overall story. I would be reluctant to recommend this book to anyone who is not a die hard fan of science-fiction.
I liked the premise for Light from Other Stars, but I struggled to become attached to the characters. I will try to finish it at a later time, but for now it is a DNF.
"Light from Other Stars" is a book told between alternating timelines of astronaut Nedda Pappas as an adult and as a child. Though the book feels like it was well researched and informed about the subject (1980s - present NASA space exploration), I struggled to get into it. Ultimately, I didn't find the characters interesting enough to care about.

Thank you to netgalley for the digital review copy, which I received in exchange for an honest review.
DNF - Did not Finish

I tried to finish the book; however, after multiple attempts, I decided to put the book down. My review may be a bit biased. I am not a biggest fan of science fiction books and in the process of reading them one at a time. ^^

The book revolves around Nedda where she has lived in outer space and earth. Her father creates a machine that slows or speeds up time. It has caused a problem when her brother tried to fix it.

I stopped around 40% into the book. The author started to present the issues that the machine is creating.

I did enjoy the part where the author mentioned the Challenger! It reminded me of the nonfiction book I read on the details of before, during, and after the devastation of the Challenger in mid-flight!

The book was very slow, and I did not understand what was going on if I did not read the book summary. However, the cover of the book was every impressive and drew me into the book initially.

My overall impression was that the book was not the best fit for me. For science fiction lovers, I think you would enjoy the pace and scientific elaborations in the book. The author does into details of Nedda's life and incorporates science theories and concepts, like nuclear elements and anti-gravity.

Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to read the book!
I loved the cover a lot. It set the mood for the book. In fact the cover is the sole reason that I wanted to read this book for.. However, i was not disappointed at all. I had a great time reading this book and now I am looking forward to reading more books by the same author.

Many many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for granting me access to this eARC.
My feedback here is late to the party.  I enjoyed this book, but it was relatively forgettable.  I'd recommend it to others as a quick read.
Absolutely beautiful writing - I'm pretty sure I could have highlighted 75% of the book. Swyler really hit on many of my own thoughts about spirituality, connectedness, and what happens to our essences after death. Do we become light from other stars? Likely, no, our matter doesn't travel that far, but it's a beautiful thought. The science fiction aspects of this book left me wanting, partly because I didn't fully grasp the concepts - I study human behavior, not physics - but the philosophical overlay along with the beauty of the writing make up for the lower points. Definitely worth the read.
It started a little slowly, but then all of a sudden I was cught up in the story.  The story, which is really *2* stories about the same person!  Faqntastic!  I loved it!  I want more!!
I'm giving Light from Other Stars a solid 4.5/5 stars. This book was just something else. The premise alone was like nothing else I've ever read. The characters were incredible, the plot was incredible, and the science was downright fascinating. This book follows two main timelines. One, where Nedda Papas is 11 years old and dreaming of becoming an astronaut when her dad's experiment goes terribly wrong. The other, where she is an adult on a space exploration. I loved following Nedda throughout the years and seeing her go through hardships. I loved watching her grow closer to her mother and grow farther away from who she had been before everything happened. This book is so much more than just a book about some scientists. It's not all about the machines and the experiments. It's also about real, raw emotions and what happens to you after death. It's about moving on from other's mistakes and learning to live. There really are no words to truly describe this book, so all I can tell you is to read it. The only issue I had with this book was that all the science could get a little confusing at times, and the plot was pretty slow for the majority of the book. But this book isn't great because of its plot, but rather because of the characters that move it along. I would highly recommend this book to everyone.
I unfortunately DNF'd this book. It sounded like everything I wanted to read, but I just didn't feel connected to the characters and I wasn't really invested in the plot. And I think that's a "me" reason, not a real criticism of the book itself. It just underwhelmed me and I chose not to continue.
Great concept and beautifully written.  Hard not to get bored with some of the scientific detail.  Slow to get started but I'm glad I saw it through!
*Thank you to NetGalley and Bloomsbury Publishing for this complimentary e galley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

This was such a great read! I had previously read The Book of Speculation by this author, so I was familiar with Swyler’s writing. But with that book being more magical realism, The Light from Other Stars seemed to have more sci fi elements which I enjoyed. I think I liked  this one even more though!

Overall ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5 stars!
I have read the author’s previous novel and liked it enough to give this one a try, though I wasn’t impressed. This offering was MUCH better and I was mesmerized by both the language and the story. I will be looking for her books again in the future.
After The Book of Speculation, Swyler had big feet to fill to please me: and she definitely succeeded. I love how she is able to create characters that I can intrinsically relate to and automatically fall in love with. Seeing her name on a book cover almost guarantees that I will pick it up from now on.
I received an advanced copy through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Although I am writing this review after the book has been published, I read the pre-release version.

What at first sounded like a touching historical fiction story turned out to be a strange science fiction novel.

The book confusingly switches between past and future in an attempt to tell both parts of Nedda’s (the protagonist’s) life story at the same time. Although this might be a better story telling choice than if both parts were told in series, the way it was told was definitely not the best choice.

This book is advertised to be about “fathers and daughters, women and the forces that hold them back,” but I found it was more about the complexity of relationship in a family and that there was more growth between Nedda and her mother than Nedda and her father.

If you are interested from the synopsis, go ahead and give it a read. However, if it sounds like a disorganized read, I would recommend against it.
I am a big fan of The Book of Speculation and was eager to read this book. It is very different but equally unique and intriguing. Nedda’s story is filled with challenges, strong female characters and other-worldly aspirations. It also deals with loss, commitment, determination and hope. One of those books you will want to read again and again because you know you will pick up more to the story than you did initially.
I enthusiastically recommend this in Ep 189 of What Should I Read Next, coming July 2, 2019. Find the podcast at https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/what-should-i-read-next-book-talk-reading-recommendations/id1073499086?mt=2
I wanted to absolutely love this book and it was okay for me. The writing is terrific and some of the story line is wonderful but not all of it. To me personally, it felt as though, a bit of the story was forced for the sake of bringing in readers who wouldn't normally choose this sort of book. I'm not sure this worked well for me. I read many different genres and don't mind them crossing but this was in need of some editing for that to work well.
Evan with those issues, overall this book is a good one and worth the time.

#LightFromOtherStars #NetGalley
I started this book 5 weeks ago. Every time I come back to it, I care a little less about it. It is not poorly written. The premise is interesting. That should be good enough. Something about it just does not land for me. Maybe the fact that it took 100 pages to actually get to the MacGuffin. I don't know. I really liked Ms. Swyler's first book. Maybe in a year I can come back to this and kick myself for constantly putting this down and forgetting about it. That is probably a good indicator that I am not interested. I keep forgetting I am reading it.  Anyway, thanks to Net Galley for the ARC. I really did want to like it.