Midas

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 13 May 2019

*I received this book as an eARC from BOOM! Studios via NetGalley. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

I hadn't heard of this series before. When it was first released, it was titled Midas Flesh. This book compiles all of the issues from the series into a big, over 200 page collection. I read the whole story in just a few sittings.

I love books that have high concepts that really play into their unique stories. The basic premise of this book is that when Midas was given the ability to make everything he touched turn to gold, the whole planet of Earth became gold and became stuck in that moment. Hundreds of years later, an interesting space crew is on a mission to defy the government and change the world using the power of Midas.

The crew is great! There's only three crew members, but they each have such great personalities. And one of them is a dinosaur!

There are wonderful moral quandaries brought up in this book. The morality of a super weapon. How to put the genie back in the bottle. This book, especially the ending, really made me think. And I LOVE that in sci-fi!

At the end of the book there's a letter from the creator about the origins of the story as well as some concept art.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's such a great, complete story. It's long, but it kept my attention the whole time. The concept is great. The characters are excellent. There's excitement throughout the book. I could absolutely see a movie made from this book. I give this book a 5/5 and will be recommending it to many friends.
I received this book in exchange for a honest review from NetGalley.

I really liked this futuristic take on myth. I love it when authors take an interesting idea from mythology and really put their own spin on it. This take the "what if" premise on Midas and really goes hog wild with it. Overall the premise, writing and art were really enjoyable. I liked this graphic novel very much.
Midas combines science fiction with Greek mythology in the most fun way possible. We have a team of two badass girls and a dinosaur (in space!!) looking for an ancient weapon that can help them destroy The Federation and bring about peace to the galaxy. The weapon is said to be able to turn everything into gold, and you can probably guess what it is. Yes, it’s the body of King Midas!

Admittedly, I wasn’t sold on the story at first, but I was completely hooked around Chapter Six. There’s a lot more action with a much (much) higher stake. I wish we got to know more about the consequences of what The Federation has done and how the survived are affected, though. Nonetheless, the story ends on a hopeful note and it’s very satisfying. The art style is absolutely gorgeous and I really love it. It was what kept me reading when the story didn’t.

Overall, Midas is a really fun adventure comic book for fans of SFF. It’s middle-grade, but I do feel like readers of all ages can enjoy it! (It was a lot darker and deathlier than I’d expected a middle-grade graphic novel to be, which totally caught me off guard!)
I love this series! Smart, funny, engrossing with fantastic character designs and fascinating premise. High recommend!
I'm not the biggest fan of middle grade anymore, as I'm currently a college student, by I have to give my hats off the the amazing artwork in this book! The coloring was stunning and I was really impressed by the design work.
In Midas there are all sorts of mysteries happening - why are they on Earth, what is a T-Rex doing in space? But you quickly become accustomed to the world and you are in for a story about ethics. Each of these characters have backstories, scars from the brutal war against the Federation. It's a story about the ethics of war. When innocent people are caught in the cross fire, when weapons are at stake, and futures hang in the balance, what will we do? With great weapons comes great responsibility, but what will we do to stop it from falling into the wrong hands? It's a cute story that asks big questions with a graphic style I've fallen in love with!
Unfortunately, I lost interest in this title fairly early on.  I wasn't interested in the characters and even though the twist on the Midas mythology was interesting, it wasn't enough to keep me interested.  I felt like I was dropped in the middle of the story, that I should already know who these main characters are.  But then the story provides a flashback for one of the characters, so that must not be the case.

The art style was nice.  I found it detailed and cute, meeting my expectations for a graphic novel for a middle grade age group.

Unfortunately, I have decided to DNF this one and will not indigestion to it.
I will not be reviewing this title at this time.  I've gotten about half way through and I prefer not to finish it.
Midas is a fun reimagining of a classic myth. It explores actions and consequences. I enjoyed this new graphic novel from the creators of the Adventure Time comics.

Midas reimagines the myth of King Midas. What happens if Dionysus doesn’t put a limit to the power of King Midas and everything on earth turns to gold? What happens when another civilization finds Earth? What happens when someone figures out what turned the Earth to gold and decides to steal it for their own uses?

I enjoyed this story. It was fun and adventurous. I loved seeing the characters battling with themselves with what is right and wrong. I liked the arcs of the story. The art is great and I feel like it matched the story really well. I got a little confused sometimes when it would go into the flashbacks, I’m not sure why though. I also was a little disappointed by the ending. But, overall, I really enjoyed this whole story!
Many years ago a god named Dionysus gave a nice guy named Midas a wish. Midas wished for everything he touched to turn to gold, which quickly resulted in all of Greece and the rest of the Earth turning to gold. Now Captain Joey and her two friends Fatima and Cooper are seeking the mystery weapon that turned a planet that’s been wiped off the star charts to solid gold. They’ve figured out a way to get the weapon without turning themselves or their spaceship to gold, and they’re hoping with this weapon they can save their own three planets and many other civilizations from the ruthless Federation that’s taking over the universe. But do they really understand the power of the Midas touch or to what lengths the Federation will go?

This was a fascinating reimagining of the Midas myth. In average mythology Midas just changes one object at a time by touching it, but this story takes the myth to literal and logical ends never before explored. And what it amounts to is a doomsday story for the modern age. We don’t get many “Earth is destroyed by atomic war” stories these days, but we do get bioengineering doomsday stories. This is a doomsday story beyond the Earth level, beyond the bioengineering level to the astronomical/universal level. But despite how big the doom gets, the questions explored by all are much the same. When is violence to stop horrific violence too much? Where is the line before the resistance to evil itself becomes evil? How well do people think through the consequences of their actions? And what would really happen if there was a dude who turned anything he touched to gold (and anything that touched anything he touched)? Where would the greed and selfishness rampant in the world (or universe) take him? This is a cautionary tale with some imaginative scifi blended with mythology that ultimately ends up hopeful. Thanks to North’s upbeat and humorous writing, it never gets too dark even though it explores some deep ethical questions. The illustrations are done in an attractive style, and I like the diversity of the characters (especially that Cooper is a dinosaur-like alien). If you like your ethical dilemmas presented in entertaining wrappings, then snatch this up. And if you like imaginative mythology retellings, run to your nearest bookseller. I’ll definitely be ordering a copy for our Secondary Media Center. There’s loads of great talking points and mythology retellings are very popular right now.

Notes on content [based on the ARC]: A smattering of mild swearing. No sexual content. There’s several whole planets of people who are killed, just a few on page deaths (and they aren’t gory, though some are a bit disturbing). But with all the death, there is still a measure of hope (which I can’t talk much about without spoilers, but it makes the planet-wide deaths a little easier to swallow). There’s also the loss of an arm.

I received an ARC of this title from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I requested and received a copy for honest review, thanks to Netgalley and the publisher.

A spacefaring trio of scavengers (two women and a dinosaur) on the hunt for a big score, discover a golden opportunity - literally. The planet Earth is encased in gold, making for an easy target, though they go in cautious, only to discover the epicenter is Midas and anything touched by his bod quickly turns to gold. Flash back to Greek antiquity where Midas, drinking with Dionysus, is granted a wish and on blurting it out, the gold conversion spreads across the planet immediately.
Now with Midas golden body carefully in hand and a plan for personal gain, the Federation suddenly show up off planet under the guise of preventing the crew from doing harm, but they are wary. The opposing groups both think they know what to do with Midas flesh, and become locked in a potentially world ending fight for the golden prize.

This is the bind-up of the Midas Flesh series, so I actually wound up doing a partial side-by-side read to compare with the prior publication. The major changes to the comic itself is to cohesion, the speech bubbles have been changed from oblong and square to all more traditional consistent looking round speech bubbles. In addition the positioning and occasionally text breaks within the bubbles has been altered, for me the update makes total sense, it has a very obvious improvement in the ease of following the flow of reading order. I really enjoy this story, especially the ending, though one must wonder if the earth was frozen in gold... where are the humans in space from? I definitely recommend this for people looking for fun sci-fi adventure.
This is a beautiful, epic graphic novel. I loved the art style and the story was very strong and interesting.
I was a bit weary of the plot once I started reading this book but the art style and coloring really kept me hooked. As I read on the plot unraveled and I really enjoyed the book overall. Also the characters are amazing. I would definitely recommend this book to my middle grade readers.
Received via NetGalley for review.

Ryan North does it again! His other comics are fun, action packed, bright, and always a little unexpected, and Midas is absolutely all of those things.

A small, ragtag group of young rebels-to-be discovers the cover-up surrounding an alternate, abandoned planet Earth, and decide to infiltrate it to see if the rumors of a super-weapon are true. But as soon as they do so, an emergency alert is sent out to the galactic government, who has their own plans for the weapon.

While the bare-bones plot may seem predictable, the execution is not. There's double agents (maybe even a triple agent!), a small coup, morality, and more. While this is distinctly more middle grade than North's other comics, it's well-done and fun.
This is an action-based graphic novel describing how the body of Midas...well, I won't spoil it. But it definitely affects the future of a lot of people. A team recovers Midas' body to use against the Evil Empire, but things get out of control quickly, with the "Baddies" and the "Heroes" each trying to outdo each other. There were silly parts, especially at the end where the story completely changes, but still for me it was an okay read.
volume one rating: 3 stars
volume two rating: 2 stars
overall rating: 2.5 stars

It took me maybe an issue or so to get into this but I did find the first volume pretty enjoyable once I got into the swing of things. The author definitely took the whole Midas curse to the maximum level - with him literally turning the entire planet into gold. I think it was a cool take on the myth because it always says 'turn EVERYTHING I touch into gold' but obviously it doesn't mean everything everything because then you would get something like this. It was overall a pretty decent story and I liked the three main characters well enough.

With volume two I thought things took a definite dive. The villain was pretty two dimensional as far as I was concerned and I'm not sure why he went so far off the deep end with the Midas Flesh. I mean I get that he works for an evil mega-corporation but he definitely had some mental issues as well. The real reason this volume only got two stars though was for the last issue. The whole thing just felt like such a cop-out. I mean I guess that if we're in a world where this happened then we have to accept that the Greek gods actually do exist and have powers and whatnot, but I always feel that a LITERAL deus ex machina is such a crap ending so I was rolling my eyes all through that.

Overall decent concept, but I'm not sure I would have read past the first issue if I didn't have an ARC of it. Also the art style was really cartoony so I had a hard time trying to figure out what the target age range here was. I think it was geared more towards teens / adults just because of the subject matter, so the juvenile art style was maybe not the best choice.
I really enjoyed this graphic novel! It was fast paced and I loved seeing a new, interesting twist on the myth of King Midas. All of the characters were interesting and I loved seeing them interact, especially when they would snap back and forth at each other. My only complaint was that there seemed to be a lack of exposition or explanation about the setting and what everything was which made getting through the beginning hard.
What a fun ride. Once for a while I like to read good comic book and of course I couldn’t go wrong with Ryan North. It is a sci-fi graphic novel about voyages of Cooper, Fatima and Joey  with king Midas body :). Great story, a lot of action and good humor. Illustrations are great, and I liked the element of Greek mythology.

Thank you to NetGalley and publisher for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
I tried getting into this a few times, but the plot just wasnt grabbing me. I made it about 50 pages into it before finally giving up. I wasnt a fan of the story structure and the dialogue felt a little bland. The art style also wasnt for me. I prefer art styles like I Hate Fairyland and Monstress. I dont fully review comics I dont finish, but thank you for the review opportunity. Im sorry it didnt work out.
Thank you for the ARC of MIDAS by Ryan North.

What a fun adventure! I love this story and the blending of Greek mythology and sci-fi.
MIDAS is a graphic novel about a space crew who goes back to earth to recover the body of Midas, the man who could turn anything into gold.

Joey and her crew are fun. I love the snippets of history. It was a unique ride through Greek mythos and space. I gave it one less start, because I wasn't as absorb from the beginning as I could have been. Maybe there should have been a more delicate balance between the two time's (past and future). But I would read the second volume of this series.

The art is great, very fitting for the age group and story.