Cover Image: Midas

Midas

I am always scared a little bit when I am reading something published by Boom studios, because it's either super-awesome interesting story, or boring, lgbt-forced thing, that I can't even finish. This was amazing. It was super-fun, I got dinosaurs, which I love, I got amazing and extraordinary characters I fell in love with, and that artwork was really great to look at! Recommend to children and adults, who likes space stories, dinosaurs or good-written Geek mythology.
This was such a fun read! I enjoyed the art style and the diverse characters. A few parts were a bit confusing, but overall the story kept me interested with its nice dialogue and interesting and sometimes hilarious characters. This graphic novel could appeal to readers in different age groups and might be fun for families to read together.
This book has something for everyone. Like space? We got you. Love to read about adventures? Yeah, they’re here. Like seeing friendships grow? Woop, here they are! What about factually correct myths? Wel… this book nails some myth details, however, big things (like a god’s mother) are complete lies.

PSA: if you’re going to write about myths, make sure you ain’t spewing nonsense – this is how people came to think that the Kraken is associated with Poseidon.

But other than that, everything about this book is virtually perfect – the story is fun, the characters are great and the art looks out of this world.

Rating: 4 stars

“This is definitely a real thing that is happening in my life due to the really excellent decisions we’ve made!”
This is a very unique story that takes the myth of Midas an extrapolates it into a scientific scale. It raises a lot of questions about power, responsibility, and determination in relation to the existence of a literally world-ending power. It's a solid metaphor for nuclear force.
Thanks NetGalley for this ARC, in exchange for an honest review.  Holy Sh*t this was amazing!  Beautiful artwork, distinguished voices, Greek Gods, dinosaurs, evolution OMG.... it’s like the kitchen sink, just throw everything and watch it work!  Superb!  I am recommending to all of my graphic novel readers of all ages.  There is something for everyone in this!  Yes yes and more yes!
This graphic novel is a quirky mix of sci-fi, re-told myth, and dinosaurs. It's interesting in that respect, and I definitely know some kids will get a kick out of space-ship dinos, but some of the meatier parts of this concept are side-stepped. King Midas was real, and he turned everything to gold. So centuries later there's an evil empire, and a group of resistance fighters who want to weaponize the body  (statue?) of Midas. It's a great concept, but we don't really delve much into the greater world building like you might with a bigger series, and at times the dialogue can cram a little too much in.
This has been repackaged in 2019 as Midas by BOOM! and I received it from NetGalley. But it the update doesn't exist on Goodreads and I'm not sure why it has been repackaged or reissued. This was pretty terrible. The illustrations were great but the story line was really bad. There are bad guys and there are bad good guys and there are good guys. Setting a weapon loose on an entire planet to stop the "bad" guys is a bad guy move. This is a very surface level comic and the writing is not great. Even for middle grade. But Vol 2 is available from KU so I may read it. Maybe the bad good guys will turn out to be good guys.
This was actually quite good, but I'm not much of a graphic novel reader -- mostly I choose them for my elementary library and I have less trouble reading middle grade graphics. I guess it's kind of unfair to say the art was too good/too complex and same with the dialogue? That's why I don't seem to do well with adult graphics, there's too much going on and I can't separate my brain. This read a lot more YA, the dialogue was witty and sometimes a bit of a reach for a middle grade audience. I think my teens at home would love this book, the space-opera premise is fun and the dead guy jokes are on point. I probably have a few sixth graders I'd recommend it to, but they'll have to get it from the public library.
Eh. This was an okay comic. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't amazing. I thought the art was appealing, which is what drew me in, but the plot ended up being better in concept than in play. I've had this in my read pile for a long time and I didn't feel that picking it up satisfied me.
This was such a fun and entertaining read with gorgeous illustrations. I will absolutely be recommending this title to our juvenile and youth patrons!
Thanks NetGalley for granting my wish and letting me read this!

This was an okay comic. I thought it was going to be a standalone graphic novel instead of a series of comics, as I actually read an ARC that contains both volume 1 and 2 of the comics but is not specified anywhere.

I enjoyed it and it was entertaining, but I am not interested enough to continue it, so I'll leave it here. The main idea behind the story is good, although I never seemed to click with the characters and get involved with both them and the plot.

All in all, not really my cup of tea, but I'm sure it can be appealing to a lot of other people.
This was a really interesting take on the myth of King Midas. The artwork was very interesting and I thought it was colored very nicely as well. I was a little confused while reading it because some things aren't really explained, but overall it was an enjoyable read.
This was a really fun take on the myth of King Midas. I really loved the artwork and the coloring was very nicely done as well. Our three heroes (two ladies and a dinosaur) start out their adventure by finding a planet made entirely of gold. They face gods, evil people, and many adventures along the way. There are people that want to take the special gold and turn it into a weapon to use it to gold-ify other planets and essentially suffocate them. I very much enjoyed this book and I really only had a small issue with the beginning. Not much is explained about what is going on so it's a tiny bit confusing but it didn't take long to figure out what was going on so I still ultimately enjoyed the book. I would recommend this to fans of books that deal with myths and retelling of myths.
We all know the story of Midas. The Greek Mythology of a King who turns everything into gold with a simple touch. However, if you tell the story of Midas and include a little but of sci-fi and space battles, it turns out to be a whole other story.

Midas wished that everything he touches could turn into gold. However, Midas got his wish, but not in the way he expected. Because of the wish, everything he touched and everything that person/item touched and so on turned into gold instead. In other words, the entire planet turned into gold, frozen in time.

I always love a retelling of any greek myths and Midas was no exception. Midas was an interesting story that actually works. I never thought a Greek Mythology would work so well with sci-fi and space elements. It just works. It is interesting, but I kept thinking that some scenes were longer than needed and can be summed up a bit shorter as well. The characters were great and included a dinosaur as well (cool).

At the end, something happened and I got a bit confused on what was going on. I think I understand it now, but I’m not totally sure at all either. I’m can only comprehend it to the best I can.

Midas is really a cool story and I would safely assume that if you like Greek Mythology and sci-fi and space, you would probably like Midas as well.
Beautiful concept, amazing characters, spaceships, sci-fi elements & mythology all mixed together to make an entertaining book and being a comic gives this one an upper hand.

The legendary Midas touch which makes everything gold has turned the entire Earth to gold.
3 rebels - Joey, Cooper & Fatima got to know about this forbidden information and try to use this as a weapon against their tyrants. The Federation has a sick villain. So there are action elements here.

One of the three rebels being a Dinosaur(Cooper) has made it super interesting. Both Joey & Fatima are beautiful in their own way. Fatima has to be my favorite. She is a pilot and also a librarian and she wears a hijab. This trio is a success.

What I love most in this book is the artwork. It's amazingly done. So bright & colorful.
The writing style is simple but the story has some bumpy parts.

Go for this if you want to read a quick, fun read and this one has Dinosaurs which makes this book extra fun.
This is such a weird concept for what is ultimately a sci-fi adventure. King Midas gets his wish that anything he touches turns to gold and instantly turns the entire Earth to gold. Thousands of years later three rebels harvest his body to use as a doomsday weapon against the evil federation. There's lots of twists and turns as our rebels are chased through space for Midas's flesh. Up to the last issue, the book was a lot of fun, at least 4 stars. But the finale to the story just brought the book to a screeching halt. It was so out of leftfield. It's a literal deus ex machina ending that completely ruined the entire book for me. I liked the art. It was a bit cartoony at times but I thought fit the fun back and forth space adventure element of the story.

Note: This was originally published as The Midas Flesh and then now changed to Midas from what I gather just to confuse readers.
This starts out with the story of King Midas and his wish to turn everything he touches to gold. Of course that wish goes sideways and he turns the entire earth and everything on it to gold. Fast forward hundreds of years into the future when the story and location of Earth have been erased from the records by the Federation. Three young rebels learn of its location and are determined to find the weapon they can use against the Federation. Of course the Federation is not going to let them get away with that. Everyone is very surprised to find the weapon is a man and not a machine. Havoc will be wrecked.

This was a different mix of mythology and science fiction. I enjoyed the story and the twist on the Midas tale. The real meat of this story was the three rebel characters. I really enjoyed their interactions but wish there would have been more backstory to them. We only really get a bit of backstory for the dinosaur. The age for this one is a bit vague but some of the themes make me think middle school.
In a nutshell: a futuristic space team (two ladies and a velociraptor!) go on a mission to recover King Midas' body from an all-golden earth and destroy the evil Federation before it can do the same to them. Great story by Ryan North, a satisfying mix of humor and mythology and science fiction and anticapitalism with a neatly circular ending. Gorgeous art / arrangement of panels / coloring by Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb--the colors popped off the page, and the mix of paneling and letters were so artfully placed.
Unfortunately, I didn't get to this book because I received it the day it was archived. I am super excited to read it and I hope to get to it soon!

It’s a space race against time to reach the most powerful weapon in the universe...the dead King Midas’ body?!

The acclaimed team behind the Eisner Award-winning Adventure Time comic books, New York Times best-selling author Ryan North (Squirrel Girl) and beloved illustrators Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb (One Day a Dot: The Story of You, The Universe, and Everything), combine forces once again for an original sci-fi space comedy unlike the universe has ever seen! Space captain Joey, navigator Fatima, and scientist (and dinosaur) Cooper are headed to Earth—a planet completely sectioned off, abandoned, and covered in gold—and are confronted by the most powerful weapon in the universe: some ancient dead guy's body?! Now they gotta keep King Midas’ body from being dropped on planets across the universe, and figure out exactly what to do with a gross dead dude with one truly ridiculous superpower.
I didn’t get to finish this one before my viewing period ran out of time!

From what I did read it seemed like the books strength was going to be it’s world building. There were some readability critiques that I could have (but it was an ARC so perhaps things were edited/ shifted) and I think that did contribute to me putting this one down and going back to my life before returning back to it in time.

I’ll still look out for this one if I see it in a bookstore to flip through it and see what it looks like in person now that it’s out.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.