Midas

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 13 May 2019

This was actually quite good, but I'm not much of a graphic novel reader -- mostly I choose them for my elementary library and I have less trouble reading middle grade graphics. I guess it's kind of unfair to say the art was too good/too complex and same with the dialogue? That's why I don't seem to do well with adult graphics, there's too much going on and I can't separate my brain. This read a lot more YA, the dialogue was witty and sometimes a bit of a reach for a middle grade audience. I think my teens at home would love this book, the space-opera premise is fun and the dead guy jokes are on point. I probably have a few sixth graders I'd recommend it to, but they'll have to get it from the public library.
Eh. This was an okay comic. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't amazing. I thought the art was appealing, which is what drew me in, but the plot ended up being better in concept than in play. I've had this in my read pile for a long time and I didn't feel that picking it up satisfied me.
This was such a fun and entertaining read with gorgeous illustrations. I will absolutely be recommending this title to our juvenile and youth patrons!
Thanks NetGalley for granting my wish and letting me read this!

This was an okay comic. I thought it was going to be a standalone graphic novel instead of a series of comics, as I actually read an ARC that contains both volume 1 and 2 of the comics but is not specified anywhere.

I enjoyed it and it was entertaining, but I am not interested enough to continue it, so I'll leave it here. The main idea behind the story is good, although I never seemed to click with the characters and get involved with both them and the plot.

All in all, not really my cup of tea, but I'm sure it can be appealing to a lot of other people.
This was a really interesting take on the myth of King Midas. The artwork was very interesting and I thought it was colored very nicely as well. I was a little confused while reading it because some things aren't really explained, but overall it was an enjoyable read.
This was a really fun take on the myth of King Midas. I really loved the artwork and the coloring was very nicely done as well. Our three heroes (two ladies and a dinosaur) start out their adventure by finding a planet made entirely of gold. They face gods, evil people, and many adventures along the way. There are people that want to take the special gold and turn it into a weapon to use it to gold-ify other planets and essentially suffocate them. I very much enjoyed this book and I really only had a small issue with the beginning. Not much is explained about what is going on so it's a tiny bit confusing but it didn't take long to figure out what was going on so I still ultimately enjoyed the book. I would recommend this to fans of books that deal with myths and retelling of myths.
We all know the story of Midas. The Greek Mythology of a King who turns everything into gold with a simple touch. However, if you tell the story of Midas and include a little but of sci-fi and space battles, it turns out to be a whole other story.

Midas wished that everything he touches could turn into gold. However, Midas got his wish, but not in the way he expected. Because of the wish, everything he touched and everything that person/item touched and so on turned into gold instead. In other words, the entire planet turned into gold, frozen in time.

I always love a retelling of any greek myths and Midas was no exception. Midas was an interesting story that actually works. I never thought a Greek Mythology would work so well with sci-fi and space elements. It just works. It is interesting, but I kept thinking that some scenes were longer than needed and can be summed up a bit shorter as well. The characters were great and included a dinosaur as well (cool).

At the end, something happened and I got a bit confused on what was going on. I think I understand it now, but I’m not totally sure at all either. I’m can only comprehend it to the best I can.

Midas is really a cool story and I would safely assume that if you like Greek Mythology and sci-fi and space, you would probably like Midas as well.
Beautiful concept, amazing characters, spaceships, sci-fi elements & mythology all mixed together to make an entertaining book and being a comic gives this one an upper hand.

The legendary Midas touch which makes everything gold has turned the entire Earth to gold.
3 rebels - Joey, Cooper & Fatima got to know about this forbidden information and try to use this as a weapon against their tyrants. The Federation has a sick villain. So there are action elements here.

One of the three rebels being a Dinosaur(Cooper) has made it super interesting. Both Joey & Fatima are beautiful in their own way. Fatima has to be my favorite. She is a pilot and also a librarian and she wears a hijab. This trio is a success.

What I love most in this book is the artwork. It's amazingly done. So bright & colorful.
The writing style is simple but the story has some bumpy parts.

Go for this if you want to read a quick, fun read and this one has Dinosaurs which makes this book extra fun.
This is such a weird concept for what is ultimately a sci-fi adventure. King Midas gets his wish that anything he touches turns to gold and instantly turns the entire Earth to gold. Thousands of years later three rebels harvest his body to use as a doomsday weapon against the evil federation. There's lots of twists and turns as our rebels are chased through space for Midas's flesh. Up to the last issue, the book was a lot of fun, at least 4 stars. But the finale to the story just brought the book to a screeching halt. It was so out of leftfield. It's a literal deus ex machina ending that completely ruined the entire book for me. I liked the art. It was a bit cartoony at times but I thought fit the fun back and forth space adventure element of the story.

Note: This was originally published as The Midas Flesh and then now changed to Midas from what I gather just to confuse readers.
This starts out with the story of King Midas and his wish to turn everything he touches to gold. Of course that wish goes sideways and he turns the entire earth and everything on it to gold. Fast forward hundreds of years into the future when the story and location of Earth have been erased from the records by the Federation. Three young rebels learn of its location and are determined to find the weapon they can use against the Federation. Of course the Federation is not going to let them get away with that. Everyone is very surprised to find the weapon is a man and not a machine. Havoc will be wrecked.

This was a different mix of mythology and science fiction. I enjoyed the story and the twist on the Midas tale. The real meat of this story was the three rebel characters. I really enjoyed their interactions but wish there would have been more backstory to them. We only really get a bit of backstory for the dinosaur. The age for this one is a bit vague but some of the themes make me think middle school.
In a nutshell: a futuristic space team (two ladies and a velociraptor!) go on a mission to recover King Midas' body from an all-golden earth and destroy the evil Federation before it can do the same to them. Great story by Ryan North, a satisfying mix of humor and mythology and science fiction and anticapitalism with a neatly circular ending. Gorgeous art / arrangement of panels / coloring by Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb--the colors popped off the page, and the mix of paneling and letters were so artfully placed.
Unfortunately, I didn't get to this book because I received it the day it was archived. I am super excited to read it and I hope to get to it soon!

It’s a space race against time to reach the most powerful weapon in the universe...the dead King Midas’ body?!

The acclaimed team behind the Eisner Award-winning Adventure Time comic books, New York Times best-selling author Ryan North (Squirrel Girl) and beloved illustrators Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb (One Day a Dot: The Story of You, The Universe, and Everything), combine forces once again for an original sci-fi space comedy unlike the universe has ever seen! Space captain Joey, navigator Fatima, and scientist (and dinosaur) Cooper are headed to Earth—a planet completely sectioned off, abandoned, and covered in gold—and are confronted by the most powerful weapon in the universe: some ancient dead guy's body?! Now they gotta keep King Midas’ body from being dropped on planets across the universe, and figure out exactly what to do with a gross dead dude with one truly ridiculous superpower.
I didn’t get to finish this one before my viewing period ran out of time!

From what I did read it seemed like the books strength was going to be it’s world building. There were some readability critiques that I could have (but it was an ARC so perhaps things were edited/ shifted) and I think that did contribute to me putting this one down and going back to my life before returning back to it in time.

I’ll still look out for this one if I see it in a bookstore to flip through it and see what it looks like in person now that it’s out.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
You give me Dinos and King Midas in one graphic novel? In space?!
You for sure 100% have my attention.

You put it in a art as nice as this one? You have me hooked until the very end of the line.

A fun and easy read, geared towards teens probably, but even with my 23 years I'll forever be a teenager in my reads I just enjoy it a lot more.
The story begins with a crew of three colleagues aboard a spaceship to search for a weapon that will defeat the Federation. They found a super weapon capable of destroying the world. The graphic novel combines classic Greek mythology and science fiction.

I like how Midas combined myth and sci-fi.  I am interested on how the Federation came to be but that would mean exploring the universe of the text and would span numerous volumes. I also like how the characters are diverse. The backstory of the characters were told but we still have more to explore. I like the pacing of the story and the frames used. The book is for middle grade but I think everyone can enjoy reading it regardless of age.

Posted the rest of the review on https://bookgeekmusings.wordpress.com/2019/06/06/review-midas/
and https://instagram.com/bookgeekmusings

I received this book as an eARC from BOOM! Studios via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review.
When I see a book that has a dinosaur as one of the main characters and space travel, you know what - I just have to read it! Midas by author Ryan North illustrators Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb is super awesome in my opinion. The series was previously published under the name The Midas Flesh and for me, the cover of the original series is a little bit better than this one, but that's not really important.
Midas is geared towards the middle-graders, but I think adults will enjoy this comic book as well if not more. The art is gorgeous the story is funny and super weird and I love that it's about King Midas, remembered in Greek mythology for his ability to turn everything he touched into gold. He was always someone I loved to read about, I guess I really like treasures and gold.
The story is very unique and I love the personalities of the three main characters. This book will make you think because it’s a story about the ethics of war and I really hope someday we get to see a good movie about it.

*The book was provided to me from the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.*
i ended up not finishing this. i got about halfway through, but decided to put it down. boom! studios, and especially their boom! box imprint, is one of my favourite comic publishers, and i love ryan north's writing and humour, but this one just wasn't a match for me. i loved the concept and was very exited to get to read it, but sci-fi has never been my thing. i wasn't captivated in the way i'd hoped and found it difficult to get drawn into the story.

i do believe this could be a great match for someone else, it's still a cool sci-fi story and it brings up a lot of questions about responsibility and morals, but it wasn't something for me.
This was really confusing and I genuinely just didn't understand what was going on half of the time.
What a fascinating way to blend mythology and sci-fi. North fully embraces both ideas, combining gods and aliens into a single world-view. The story of Midas is fully rooted in the gods but their role is also given a scientific explanation. That explanation gets a bit muddy in the final pages but for the most part that doesn't prevent the enjoyment of the story. We have a diverse cast without that diversity becoming an "issue" that must be addressed. A solid read worthy of multiple reads.
This is a fun, quick read that will keep readers of all ages entertained. I gave this book four stars because there were moments where the dialogue felt a tidge-bit wordy but I'm being nit-picky. I know from reading interviews with North, that he went there when it came to realistically portraying what would happen if Midas Flesh was real.  I know that may seem like a little thing but when it comes to making even the unbelievable, well, believable, that's part of what a good storyteller does. The result here is a lovely new take on the Greek myth we all know.

I've always enjoyed the way the team of North, Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb work together. For middle-grade readers who may not be super well-versed in sci-fi or not even sure if science fiction is something they might like, I think this book serves as a great way into the genre. Midas is a fun, adventure-filled read. North never talks down to or diminishes his narrative for a younger audience. The same can be said for the artwork, which is lovely, clean and fun. I simply adored this read and recommend picking it up for a nice Holiday weekend.

Part of why this team continues to find success after success is because they know how to tell good stories full stop. They have a fundamental understanding of what makes a narrative work and that's something that transcends grades, age or even planet Earth.