Where Angels Fear (Detectives Kane and Alton Book 5)

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 Feb 2019

I have just Loved this series of Books By D.K. Hood..........Can't believe this is the 5th book in the Detectives Kane and Alton series.......So, Where Angels Fear was just another fantastic read. I was hooked from the very first few pages and could not put it down. Just like the other books in this series and I Highly recommend.
I just love the I love Sheriff Jenna Alton and Deputy David Kane characters.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest opinion
Thankyou to NetGalley, Bookouture and the author, D.K Hood, for the opportunity to read a digital copy of Where Angels Fear in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
I was so excited at the prospect of reviewing this book. I have read the previous novels in the Detective Kane and Alton series and have enjoyed every one. This book was the best by far.
The storyline was well thought out and written with well developed characters. A veritable rollercoaster ride of a tale.
Well worth a read.
Wow, I can't believe it, this is already book 5 in the series, and they just get better each time.  This book would read nicely as a standalone, but I would advise you reading the previous four, firstly to make sure you understand the underlying story line, and secondly, why wouldn't you want to!!
In this book Detectives Kane and Alton have to deal with a snow blizzard, as well as a serial killer that is not all that he seems.  I did not see the ending coming!!!  Highly and I mean it, highly recommended.
This was a first-time read from this author and This was a great story, cleverly thought out and the story starts in winter in Montana so very ofter sub-zero temperatures, you could almost feel the cold. The detectives in this book are somewhat different as one is in Witness Protection and one Kane is more of a profiler and its deputy sheriff and never misses with a gun. Young women were disappearing and at first the local sheriff though it could be a slave trading. and then a young man was taken and a lass that manage to escape who was with him was drugged and left behind.  What was its purpose?.  Could she have something to do with these abductions? Due to road closures etc getting near Christmas, Sheriff's dept seems to be getting nowhere, and then suddenly from the Sheriff in the next county comes an important telephone call to Jena the sheriff and all hell breaks loose. So is it slave trading or something more sinister, well thought out, runs smoothly throughout the book, deserves a read you won't be disappointed.

Did manage to find it on Goodreads and left review
I was looking for a new murder series to get my teeth into and I have found it! This is the first book I have read in this series, but it won't be the last! I wouldn't want to live in this town, but the sheriff and her team of deputies work well together. They have some demons in their backgrounds which develop through the story. The sheriff admits she has no idea what is happening when people disappear. But the answer will keep you on tenterhooks until the end!
Kane and Alton are still recovering from their last encounter with a serial killer but now another strikes!
Sky and Ella are travelling home from college when they see someone with a broken down car. They stop to help but the man attacks Sky. Ella runs for her life and escapes. When the police arrive at the scene there is no sign of Sky, the man, or either vehicle. They want to believe Ella’s story but she could also be a suspect…
Sky’s brother Doug and Ella decide to go out searching for Sky and agree to meet up with someone online to help. On their way to meet ‘Jim’, they spot a crashed car with two women inside. One is already dead. ‘Jim’ arrives and kidnaps Doug and the injured woman, leaving Ella behind. Kane and Alton are struggling with the weather, illness and the aftermath of their last case. Can they trust Ella’s story and can they find the killer before he takes more victims…?
The past seems to be catching up with both lead detectives which brings both fear and sorrow. This is a continuing thread that was present in the last book and no doubt will remain relevant in subsequent books (PLEEEEEASE let there be more in the series!)
Meanwhile, we see events from the perspective of the killer and his victims. There is not a lot of graphic detail about their injuries and deaths but the disposal of previous victims is described so we know what happens and left to our own imaginations to consider the full horror.
This is a brilliant book. I was slightly worried as I enjoyed the previous book so much that I was afraid of setting my expectations too high, but there was no need as this was just as good as the last one!
Perfect psychological thriller!  It moved at a fast pace with twists and turns throughout!  I couldn’t put it down!  Highly recommend!
This is the first book I’ve read in this series. It was recommended to me and I’m so glad!

I didn’t have a problem picking up the storyline, but will definitely read the 4 precious books to learn more about the characters.

The book pulled me in from the first few pages and was full of unexpected twists. I genuinely couldn’t put it down.

A girl goes missing while travelling home for Christmas, her friend who was with her escapes. A spate of further disappearances leads to a horrific discovery.

A great introduction to the Kane and Alton series for me, looking forward to more.
This is a book that raises so many interesting questions. What did happen to Ella? What happened to Sky and all the other missing teens? Who is behind this horror and what happens when some truths start  coming to light? This was a book full of intensity and surprises that kept me riveted. Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to read this and write about it.
“It seemed each new season in Black Rock Falls brought with it a new brand of twisted psychopath.”

I’m back in Black Rock Falls and a similar scene as when I started this journey in Don’t Tell A Soul. It’s snow covered and treacherous driving conditions so it’s no wonder Sky wanted to help a fellow driver stranded in the snow.  What ensued was super sinister in just the way I’ve come to love D. K. Hood’s tales from the Montana county. Where has Sky vanished to?!?

I loved the switch in perspective between the Black Rock Falls sheriff team, our nutter on the loose and the victims, helpless in their plight. As I read Sky’s experience, I felt goose bumps creep up my arms from my kindle, spreading through out my body and I don’t think I shook them until the seriously tense ending to the book. There were so many chapters I came out of realising I’d been holding my breath!

I can’t figure why you would risk driving to Black Rock Falls in the middle of the night.” …“Are you aware of how many murders occurred in this county in the last couple of years?…”

That wasn’t the only time I “saw ” Ms Hood’s wicked sense of humour worm it’s way into the tale. Despite its dark sentiment, there is a slight comic nod in the characters’ narrative. Before Kane and Alton arrived in Black Rack Falls, this was a sleepy town off the radar…..

Where Angels Fear is another cracking crime thriller from the mind of Ms Hood and I loved it. This series despite each book being effectively a stand-alone story keeps getting better and better and I for one cannot wait for book 6.
Today is my stop of one terrific blog tour and I am reviewing one veeery gripping thriller,  written by one of my favorite authors, D.K.Hood. Guess what, Where Angels Fear was published yesterday, literally. It is fifth book in the Detectives Kane and Alton Series and my second book from this author. I had no problem reading it as a stand-alone book. It is one very creepy, really scary story that made my hair on the neck stand. I loved it! Many thanks to lovely Noelle and the amazing team at Bookouture for the chance to be part of this blog tour. Don’t forget to visit all the other stops of this amazing blog tour! Enjoy!

Imagine going home for Christmas. The best feeling in the world. You are driving through a heavy storm, you literally can’t see a thing through the snow. Suddenly you see a vehicle on the side of the road. Someone needs help. You stop, and next thing you know, a man with an ax is trying to kill you. You run through the wood, but he finds you. Next thing, you wake up in a hospital. But not a real hospital. You are sedated, tied, you can’t run. There is no escape!

Sky and Ella drive through the snow. Police finds Ella covered with blood, but not hurt. But she has an unbelivable horror story to tell. Should she be trusted? And where is Sky?

Detectives Kane and Alton work on the case, The investigation uncovers more cases – all the missing are young people. All stopped on the very same place of the road into town. All vanished without a trace.

I was absolutely hooked from the very first page. Fast-pased horror story, the hitchiker from hell. But, you know what scared me most? Last couple of months several people dissapeared from my town. All young, all healthy. With the latest disapearance just yesterday, people are really scared. I even checked if my front door was locked. What surprised me most were the similarities from the book with the speculations in the media. Creepy!

Anyway, to return to my review. I LOVED THIS BOOK! I’ve read only #4 and #5, but I am totally hooked on these series. Where Angels Fear is a fast pacing gripping thriller that will make you leave the lights on at night! Totally recommended!
This was my first Kane and Alton book but it did not grip me.   It’s says you can read as a stand-alone but the characters were very easy to muddle with their back stories.   In this one young people are going missing in winter on a lonely stretch of road.
I struggled through and could easily have given up.  I don’t think I will be reading any others.
Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for an ARC
#WhereAngelsFear #NetGalley
Kane and Alton are back!!! Boy, do I love this series or do I love this series?!? I cannot believe we are up to book number five already! The beauty of this series is that all books can be read as a standalone, so you don't have to read the books in order to appreciate the storylines. That said, because I am a HUGE fan of the two Detectives, I would of course recommend that you read all of the books anyway.

Black Rock Falls doesn't really have a good reputation really, does it? I mean, there seem to be A LOT of people who end up losing their lives in that place! Alton and Kane have their work cut out once again when they become aware of a murderer who insists of being 'invisible', taking their victims with them. But how long can they stay 'invisible' for? If Jenna Alton had her way, the culprit would be locked up faster than she and Kane could reach their local eatery. Unfortunately that is not the case and yes, I found myself becoming rather frustrated by the killer. Why couldn't they just slip up already?

I would say that the contents of 'Where Angels Fear' is quite graphic due to the nature of the murders and the events which come afterwards. It does make for a very chilling read, I shan't lie, but goodness me it works. I think I would have been more surprised if one of D.K.Hood's storyline was tame.

'Where Angels Fear' is definitely one of those spine tingling, constantly look over your shoulder, type of read which left my mouth dry and my heart racing. I loved the slow burning first half of the book as it set the scene and created such an intense and toe curling vibe for the rest of the storyline. Yet, on the other side of the coin, I adored the racy, rollercoaster feel of the second half of the book when Kane and Alton were hot on the killers tail. And Rowley...well!!!

Another absolutely fantastic instalment to the series, D.K.Hood has upped the ante once again and left me wanting more. I hope this series continues for many, many more books...although could they please come with free oxygen masks or paper bags? ;)
Book 5 in the Kane and Alton series. Although I have enjoyed reading the previous books, this was not my favourite. The plot was great and the book was fast paced but the writing and dialogue just felt a bit clumsy at times. Plenty of thrills and twists and I would like to see more character development. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC. Reviewed on Amazon, Goodreads and Facebook.
Where Angels Fear  D.K. Hood

When a couple of young women are flagged down to help a motorist stranded in a winter storm the nightmare begins.

One of the girls escapes and makes it to Black Rock Falls but the other wakes in what she thinks is a hospital. That illusion lasts as long as it takes her to realise that she is tethered to the bed and that the person in the next bed is being threatened with unspeakable pain an death.

Ella, the girl who has escaped, tries to convince the local police that they should take her seriously, but it takes more disappearances until they realise they have a serial killer on their hands

The investigation is headed by Sheriff Jenna Alton and Deputy Dave Kane. Both of these investigators have hidden pasts and are living new lives.

Jenna has given evidence against one of Americas biggest gang leaders and is living under a new identity, but has it been blown.

Dave is still recovering from injuries he sustained in a previous investigation and his budding relationship with Jenna is under threat as his recent memories are being overtaken by the grief he felt when his first wife was killed.

Against the backdrop of the investigation into the serial killer the investigators go on their guard against a possible attack on Jenna, and try to rebuild their relationship

As Jenna conduct the investigation she uncovers similar crimes in which young people go missing on the same stretch of road and are never seen again. The pure amount of missing people is astonishing and the evidence given by Ella is the only clue they have to what is going on.

This is a small community and somebody must know what is happening. In fact it’s that small there is every possibility that everybody knows the killer, they just don’t realise it is who it is.

This is a good book with at least 3 strands to a story that weaves its way to a climatic end.

There is no time to switch off. Even when they are at home off duty Alton and Kane have to be on guard.

There is no time in this book when somebody is not in danger.

I like stories like this, they keep the pages turning, in fact they kept the pages turning so much I read the whole thing over two days.
Kane and Alton are back with a new gripping story in Black Rock Falls (where there are higher-than-average numbers of gruesome murders, clearly).

When Ella and Sky run into an axe-wielding maniac on a lonely road, the chances of one or both of them being injured are high. You will have to read the book to see what happens to these girls.....but I have to say that there were a few twists and turns whilst reading this story, that I didn't see coming, not at all.

As this is the fifth book in the series, it is helpful if you read the previous books, but this book can easily be read as a standalone.

I have to say, this series is getting better and better. Enjoyed!!

4.5 stars from me.

With thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture.
Where Angels Dare by D.K. Hood
Detectives Kanae and Alton #5

Coming into this series on book five made me wish I had read the other four books before I started. I could easily follow the murder mystery portion of the book but really felt I would have enjoyed the story more if I had met and gotten to know the many characters throughout the previous books. I have a feeling Jenna Alton and David Kane’s backstories would add depth to their characters as would the feeling that they may have had the beginning of a romance in previous books. I found Shane Wolfe intriguing but in this book he was more of a supporting character. Jake Rowley and some of the other characters mentioned no doubt flesh out the stories – especially if you have read the first books in the series. So...will take that into account when I rate it.

The actual murderer was a creep and a half and the people assisting him hard to understand. The idea was not new but it was riveting to read the story as it unrolled. I had a feeling about one of the baddies early on...just as I was supposed to...but the mastermind took a bit longer to be revealed.

Did I enjoy this book? Yes
Would I read more in the series? Maybe...especially if I can get my hands on earlier books
Do I recommend it? If you can find and read the books in order

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC – This is my honest review.

3-4 Stars
What a fantastic series this is, each book gets better and better.  Sheriff Jenna Alton and Deputy David Kane are back and Black Falls Rock are again have more than their fair share of murders.  Two friends, Ella and Sky are driving to spend Christmas with Sky’s family.  They stop to help a man at the side of the road who then attacks them but Ella manages to escape.  Alton and Kane find no sign of the car or Sky but they believe Ella  and as they start their investigations they discover other cases of young people going missing on the same road and they haven’t been seen since then.  They then have a race against time to find the evil man responsible for these crimes.  Jenna is struggling to work as she has the flu and Dave is recovering from surgery.  We learn more about their backgrounds, how they ended up in Black Water Falls and there is a hint of a possible romance.  This book is filled with action and suspense and plenty of twists and turns which will keep you guessing.  A highly recommended read.
Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
Winter has come to Black Rock Falls, Montana, but the area may have another serial killer in its midst as Sky Paul disappears while her friend Ella Tate manages to escape. A coincidence or a connection to people who post personal items on social media.
It's for Sheriff Alton and her team to decide and investigate, meanwhile it is possible her cover has been compromised.
Another enjoyable thriller in this series with a good plotline and sub-plot where we learn more about the past of some of these characters.
4.5 STARS

Only in Black Rock Falls will you find a Sheriff who is an ex-DEA Agent in witness protection with a new name and a new face, a Deputy who was a sniper and member of the Special Forces Investigation Command and another who is also the ME.

Called to investigate when a young woman appears out of nowhere ... bloodied and half-frozen, she tells a story that has the Sheriff and her Deputies reeling. She tells them that she and her friend stopped along the highway to help a disabled driver when the man wielded what looked like an ax. Her friend did not get away ... and now she's missing.

Detective Jenna Alton does a little research and finds there have been many cases of missing persons ... all young people .... all stopped at the same place on the highway ... all who have never been seen since.

The detectives' investigation will lead them to a horrific discovery.

WHERE ANGELS FEAR can be read as part of the series or easily as a standalone. I highly recommend starting at the very beginning. Not only is it a fascinating story on how the three main characters came together, but their story is woven through an action-packed page-turner. I especially enjoy how the characters relate to each other ... with caring, respect, humor and sometimes a little sarcasm ... but it's the way they go about solving crime in their little town that sets them apart.

Many thanks to the author / Bookouture / Netgalley for the advanced digital copy of this crime fiction. Opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.