Where Angels Fear (Detectives Kane and Alton Book 5)

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 Feb 2019

Book 5 in the series and my 3rd one. It would be impossible to say which one is my fafvourite, because they are all gems.

I love the way the author has invented such interesting and intriguiing past for some of the police officers. It gives them an extra bit of spice.

Of course people are attracted to series due to their feelings towards the returning characters, but that is not enough. People also want stories filled with suspense and other emotions. Needless to say that this author knows perfectly how to combine all those things and mixes them into a tasty cocktail.

I had chills running down my spine and my stomach sometimes felt like it had gone through a shredder. The interaction between the team members certainly increases the reading pleasure.

At a given moment I had a lump in my throat and I liked the jokey tone at the end of the story.

The author left me no choice. I just had to dip into my pocket and pull the 5 stars card out of it.

Thank you, DK Hood, Bookouture and Netgalley.
It's almost Christmas and the low temperatures and snow have hit Black Rock Falls, MT, with a vengeance. College kids are returning home for the holidays. In fact, Sky Paul and her roommate, Ella Tate, are on their way to Sky's house for a family celebration. But, their happy plans are shattered when Sky stops to help a stranded motorist on the side of the highway. Bad idea. Ella spends the night sheltering high up in a pine tree to escape the man wielding the ax and soon Detectives Kane and Alton are investigating the case. Soon other young people go missing apparently from that same stretch of lonely dark road and Kane and Alton realize that these abductions are part of a larger and more complex crime. NO SPOILERS.

This is the 5th in series and I can't imagine not having read the previous 4 -- I don't feel that you could read as a standalone as there were a lot of changes due to events that happened in the other books. I felt that this one was almost a complete step backwards in the relationship situation between Kane and Alton and I really wasn't all that thrilled with dredging back up their past as previous government agents, etc. I don't care if they have a romance or not, in fact I wish they wouldn't, but it's such a cliche in this type of novel that I grin and bear it. Definitely the reader will find the setting and atmosphere of Montana in the winter well-described.

I found a few little oddities in the actual writing of this novel that is set in USA. Some of the vocabulary and phrases used were more British than American and that was a bit jarring. There were tons of characters and the author dangles red herrings freely and it seemed that not much mention was made of poor Sky after all and the whole reaction of her family to the situation. Also don't think even the most stupid college-aged person would do what Doug and Ella did. I thought there were some loose ends that never got tidied up.

So, this was a little disappointing as I have previously really enjoyed the series and I can't put my finger on exactly what felt off. This didn't have as much suspense or thrills as I'd hoped so I hope it will be back on track with the next one.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review.
Even though I only started this series at Book 3, I began Where Angels Fear feeling as though Alton, Kane and the rest of their team are like old friends, and it was great to catch up with them. Unfortunately, Alton is ill at the beginning of this novel, and Kane is still suffering memory loss following the events of The Crying Season. However, when they hear reports of a serial killer in town, nothing will stop them bringing them to justice. They are determined and have a strong gut instinct, and their working relationship is such that Alton, Kane and their colleagues behave like one big family. This makes it easier for me as a reader to take them into my heart, and I had every faith that they would find whoever was responsible.
Once again, Where Angels Fear is set in the remote area of Black Rock Falls. Hood does a fantastic job of portraying just how isolated it is; something which is heightened by the extreme wintry weather. Her writing is incredibly atmospheric, and I was left in no doubt that danger lay ahead. I just needed to find out what!
Where Angels Fear seemed less fast paced than its predecessors, but that did not mean I enjoyed it any less. The chapters from the perspective of the perpetrator show what a creepy and twisted individual Alton and Kane are searching for, and this creates a slow burning tension which made me feel quite uncomfortable. It is clear how important it is that the detectives find the killer they are looking for and I was rooting for them all the way!
Where Angels Fear by D. K. Hood is the 5th in the Detectives Kane and Alton series.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Bookouture, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Series Background:    (Warning – May contain spoilers from previous books)
Sheriff Jenna Alton is the Sheriff in Black Rock Falls, Montana. She is new to being Jenna Alton. She has a new name, and a new ID, because her past is still out there. She’s former DEA. Deputy David Kane also has a new name and new ID. Similar reasons. He’s a former Special Forces sharpshooter with exceptional profiling skills. He lost his wife in a bombing, that left him with a plate in his head, and bad headaches. Forensic Scientist Shane Wolf is not only a Medical Examiner with amazing computer skills, he used to be Kane’s handler. So, with a few other deputies, Jenna has a good team to handle crime in the small Black Rock Falls town, which seems to have more murders than a small town should.

My Synopsis:
David Kane is still recovering from a tumble into the canyon last fall which shattered his knee, and necessitated a replacement plate be put in his head. Although he can walk again, the new plate is causing him intense pain in this cold weather, and messing with his memories. The death of his wife seems like it happened yesterday, and he is grieving all over again. His memories of that time are fresher than they ever were.

It seems Jenna’s past may also be rearing its head.

Ella Tate is found on the side of the road by a trucker. She is covered with blood, and insists that her friend Sky was murdered by a big man with an ax when they stopped to help a stranded motorist. There is no body, and no car, and no evidence. Although they take Ella’s story with a grain of salt, the blood she is covered in does give credence to her tale. Soon it becomes evident that Sky was not the first nor the last to go missing… and Black Rock Falls has another monster on the loose.

The weather is not co-operating either. Non-stop blizzards are interfering with both their search efforts, and their evidence collection.

My Opinions:
First, this is not meant to be a stand-alone novel, so read the other four before this one!

It was interesting to see the regrets that both Kane and Alton have for their past lives. It shows that the author is still developing her characters when we learn more of their back-stories. I also liked the “family” theme developing.

This was a fast paced, action-filled book. The plot was really interesting, with more than enough “bad guys”.

The books continue to improve as the series moves forward, and again, Jenna’s character is getting stronger.

Definitely enjoyed it.
Where Angels Fear is the fifth book in the Sheriff Jenna Alton and Deputy David Kane series set in beautiful, brutal Black Rock Falls, Montana. I'm a big fan of Ms Hood's novels, but I can't help feeling disappointed with this one. There are too many characters which leads to a lack of depth in terms of their development, and although the writing is as engaging as ever the plot left a lot to be desired. I figured out early on what was happening and who the perpetrator was and felt there were too many hints and clues pointing to that person that anyone with a decent level of intelligence will work it out quite rapidly. Of course, this does spoil the enjoyment but not enough to make me quit reading it.

There are some wonderful descriptions of the area and the snowy weather, and it moves at a fast pace for the majority of the story, but at times it dragged a little, sadly. Both Kane and Alton are tenacious investigators who form an intelligent partnership and are admirable in their stubbornness to achieve justice for the victims. There is still a spark between them, and I look forward to future books to see how their relationship evolves.

Many thanks to Bookouture for an ARC.
Another fantastic book in the Kane and Alton series.
This is a heart stopping book which will grab you from the first few pages.
A girl arrives in Black Rock Falls covered in blood and explains that her friend had been attacked on the roadside.
There’s no sign of Sky and no sign of her car, so is Ella telling the truth?
As Detective Alton investigates the case, she looks into the history of missing persons in the town, and uncovers more cases - all young people. All vanished without a trace.
We get an insight into the killer’s mind and it’s not pleasant as his sick plans come to light.
There’s a real race against time at the end and it had me storming through the pages to find out the ending.
This book can be read as a stand alone book but this is such a great series, I recommend you read the previous books too!
Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.
Fantastic prologue! I would have enjoyed this more had I read the prior installments. There is a lot of background and many characters to wade through.

Having said that, don’t let me scare you off because this can be read as a stand alone and does have a satisfying conclusion. The characters and setting are very good, interesting. The reason for the abductions is quite sinister and one I haven’t run across that I can remember so that was good.

I liked the chapters from the killer’s perspective. They were truly evil! I would read more Kane and Alton but I might start from the beginning first.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and Bookouture for a copy in exchange for a review.
Wow this book had me on the edge of my seat holding my breath in places it was so full of tension.  DK Hood got this book absolutely right it was suspenseful, dark, twisted and had me hanging on to every word.  I was up reading late into the night and it was a case of just one more chapter time and time again.

In my opinion each book in this series gets better and better, I love the characters and the relationships they have with each other and the way the author sets the scene.  I loved this book if I could give it more than five stars I would it deserves it, it was bloody brilliant.

I’m giving this book a big fat 5 stars, it deserves more, at least a 7!
This is book 5 in a great series. Although it does refer a couple of times to the past it can be read as a stand alone.

A brilliant, fast moving thriller that had me engrossed from the start. Plenty of twist and turns to keep you guessing right to the end. The description of the landscape, people and events makes it seem real.

I highly recommend this book and look forward to the next one.
BLOODY HELL WHAT A FANTASTIC READ !!!!!!!
I read this book in one sitting, I could not put it down. This is one amazing rollercoaster of a read. It got my heart racing and turning the pages faster and faster. This book is packed with action, tension and suspense. In places I was reading sat on the edge of my seat. This is the fourth book in the Kane and Alton series and it just keeps getting better. I love visiting Black Rock Falls, the characters are well rounded, very believable and so likeable. Only one problem I would not like to live in Black Rock Falls as it seems to be a magnet for serial killers. Clear your schedule and tuck into a brilliant read and a very addictive series. Highly highly recommended.
Sky Paul and Ella Tate are roommates at college and are travelling  to Black Rock Falls to spend Christmas with Sky’s family.  The weather is horrendous as they stop to help someone who’s broken down at the side of the highway.  Only one of them survived the night. Deputy David Kane is back at work after the serious injuries he sustained during their last case.  He and Sheriff Alton have to treat Ella as a suspect as she was the last to see Sky.  They have to change their mind when Ella and Sky’s brother Doug go out to look for Sky and Doug goes missing and Ella is found drugged.

Really good read - love this series by D K Hood and I think it’s just getting better with each book.

Thanks to Netgalley, Bookouture and D K Hood for the ARC of this book in return for an honest review.
I've read these in order and have eagerly awaited to see what kind of psychopath has arrives in Black Rock Falls next.  Its certainly a place that any sensible person without a death wish would avoid give a very wide birth.
It's a really hard winter as Detectives Kane and Alton are steadily recovering following their exploits in The Crying Season.  The extreme snowy weather has changed the deputies living and working arrangements in the short term.. The Sheriffs office heating system is definitely not up to the challenge of keeping them warm,.
Its late in the evening as Ella Tate and Sky Paul are heading to Sky's parents for Christmas vacation.  Rounding a corner they see a car broken down, in a heavy snowstorm and stop to help. Their good deed costs them dearly as they were brutally attacked but Ella manages to get away, Sky wasn't so lucky. After being rescued Ella tells her story but there's no sign of Sky's distinctive bright yellow car which leaves he deputies unsure whether to believe her st0ry, whether to treat her as suspect or victim.
There's also the strange new Dr Wilson that Kane makes Jenna see, although Jenna feels that there is something odd or not quite right about her but just can't explain exactly why, yet, you just know its going end badly for someone namely Dr Wilson.
From there you need to hold on to your hat as all of a sudden its up up and away, this is a fast paced read so get the kids to bed or the other half to the pub or even both, once they are gone get a brew/wine, some chocolate curl your feet up and be prepared for a late night.

Read for honest review. Thank you Bookouter and Netgalley
*4.5 rounded up to 5 for rating purposes*

Another taut and gripping D.K. Hood novel - I love this series centred around Detectives Kane and Alton and this book did not disappoint.

Several people are notified as missing which the Sheriff's department are investigating, their feeling is there is more to it as no trace of the missing people is found or known. As usual it is fast-paced as it's a literal race against the clock to try and understand what is happening, does Black Rock Falls really have another killer?

As usual there were twists and red herrings along the way, I hadn't guessed 'whodunnit' which I actually find frustrating as I should be a master detective myself with all the crime I read, however it is very satisfying to know that a novel can be that clever to keep you guessing all the way through.

I'm obsessed with the character of David Kane, he is ex-army and when he switches into territorial mode I just find it awesome - he is fascinating! There have been snatches and hints of a possible romance between him and Jenna Alton in previous books and I am an absolute sucker for a bit of romance too so I'm desperate to see whether their relationship will be more than professional. I hope so!

In this story we found out a bit more about their backgrounds and I really enjoyed that aspect as it gave a clearer picture of how they ended up being in Black Rock Falls and I feel this will ultimately bring them even closer together.

A rip-roaring read that I highly recommend!

My many thanks to Bookouture via NetGalley for providing me with this advanced reading copy in exchange for an honest review.
Another great read even though it was a bit gruesome in places and the thing I like most about this author that it's never obvious until the end who is committing the crimes. I was given this to read in exchange for my honest opinion and I would like to thank the publishers and netgalley for letting me have the book to review.
Detective Kane and Alton Book 5.

When Ella Tate stumbles into Black Rock Falls, her exhausted and bloodied body is a terrifying sight, but not as frightening as the story she has to tell. Ella and her friend Sky were traveling by car when they see another motorist standing by their car waving them down. But Thr man pulls an axe on them, Ella manages to escape. Kane and Alton are now investigating Sky's disappearance and they look into the history of missing people from the town. They discover that they had one thing in common - they were all young.

I really like this police procedural series. With its fast pace and curve balls flung at you from all directions, it's hard to put the book down. I just had to find out why these youngsters had disappeared without trace. The book is well written and plenty of thought has went into the plot. I did not guess anything in the storyline.  I had no idea why the young the people were being taken until it was revealed. This book could be read as a standalone but you will be missing out a good series if you don't read them all in order.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Bookouture and the author D. K. Hood for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
My first encounter with Jenna Alton and Dave Kane, an intriguing partnership both of whom seem to have hidden mysteries in their past which I hope will be explained when I catch up with them  again in previous books.  A fascinating read with lots of twists and turns, a guaranteed page turner.
I would not want to live in Black Rock Falls... so many murders in the one small town! It's a good thing the police in town are on the ball. I love this series and it shows no signs no of letting up. The characters are great and I love how we learn so much more about them as the story goes.  The book can be read as a stand alone but you really should get into this series if you haven't already.

Black Rock Falls is cold in winter, not just cold but super super feeezing with hideous amounts of snow. Nobody would visit there this time of year unless they had to. But Ella and Sky are travelling there to spend Christmas with Sky's family.  They stop to help a man on the side of the road and he attacks them with an axe. Sky is taken and Ella escapes, finally finding her way to Black Rock Falls. Alton  and Kane are on the case, even though they are not feeling the best. As they investigate they discover that they are not the first young people to disappear from this stretch of highway. Can they find tho so man before more people are hurt. While all of this is happening Jenna is worried that her cover may have been blown.

Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for my advanced copy of this book to read. All opinions are my own and are in no way biased

#WhereAngelsFall is the fifth installment of the Detectives Kane and Alton series but can be read as a stand alone.  The narrative explores a moderately paced plot revolving around a missing person/murder investigation occurring in the small Montana town of Black Rock Falls. @dkhood provides strong characters and enough background on each that even new readers to this series can feel comfortable jumping right in. However, some of the language in this book felt off. The author primarily focused on using  American dialogue but for some reason used British terms within the writing, making it feel unauthentic. As simple of a dynamic as that may seem to be, it distracted from the storyline and pulled focus there. That being said, it was an overall good read, 4 stars.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of Where Angels Fear, the fifth novel to feature Sheriff Jenna Alton and Deputy David Kane of the Black Waters Fall, Montana Sheriff’s Department.

When Ella Tate is found on the highway she claims to have been attacked by a man wielding an axe and that he killed her friend Sky but with no sign of Sky or her car the team don’t know what to think. Giving Ella the benefit of the doubt Jenna investigates further and finds several mysterious disappearances.

I enjoyed Where Angels Fear which is a good adventure with plenty of thrills. I hesitate to call it a mystery because the narrative is split between the investigation and the perpetrator’s actions giving the reader a good idea of what’s going on. I also guessed the identity of the perpetrator about half way through the book from the way he talks and other hints. To be honest I think that the reader is given too much information so it makes the investigation’s theorising rather redundant. The format may not be quite right but the rest is good. The action pieces are exciting, the descriptions of the snowy conditions are atmospheric and there is finally an explanation for three over qualified operators finding themselves thrown together in a Montana backwater. No mention, however, of why so many serial killers end up in said location.

I like the characters of Alton and Kane as they are smart, resourceful and commendable in their commitment to justice. As usual their relationship teeters on the edge of romance but with so much baggage who knows what will happen as they become closer. It will be interesting to see where Ms Hood takes them.

Where Angels Fear is not the best novel in the series but is still a good read.  3.5*
I’d like to thank Bookouture and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘Where Angels Fear’, fifth in the Detectives Kane and Alton series written by D K Hood, in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

Ella Tate is travelling with her friend Sky Paul to Black Rock Falls where she’s going to spend Christmas with Sky’s family.  They see a figure standing on a deserted road beside a stationery vehicle and stop to offer assistance.  The figure attacks them but only Ella manages to escape to raise the alarm.  Detectives Jenna Alton and her Deputy Dave Kane are battling against adverse weather conditions with deep snow drifts hindering their search for Sky and although there are a number of suspects there’s no evidence.  Can Jenna discover his identity before anybody else goes missing?

D K Hood has written yet another sensational addition to the series and I was totally hooked from page one.  It’s really exciting with lots of action, twists and turns, and a number of suspects that kept me guessing.  Added to this, Jenna fears that the Viktor Carlos cartel has discovered her whereabouts and Kane has his own health problems.  I’ve enjoyed making the acquaintance again of all the characters, Jenna and Kane, Jake Rowley, Shane Wolfe and his family.  I was completely unprepared for the end of the book which was so nerve-wracking I was sitting on the edge of my seat.  With all the killings happening at Black Rock Falls I must remember not to book a holiday there!  Thanks, D K Hood, for yet another brilliant story that kept me glued to my kindle for the last twenty-four hours.