Her Royal Highness

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 May 2019

From what I read of this sampler, I really enjoyed the story. I think the book will be really funny and a wild ride.
This was a great sequel.  I really loved the LBTQI+ representation in this book.  It was a super fun and cute read and would recommend this book and series.
I can’t wait to read this book! Ugh getting a sampler Is a tease! But thank you netgalley for offering this!
Hard to get through. The writing feels very flat to me. Frankly, I don't feel like enjoying the movie Brave is a great reason for wanting to go to school in Scotland, and just hoping for a scholarship to a really expensive boarding school because you're "really smart" is just... a little off to me.
This is so far my favourite book of the year!! I'm a sicker for romcom like books and we barely have lesbian romcom and I need them as I need water! This one is amazing, haters to lovers, sharing a dorm, Scotland, Royal princess, Geography, what else can you ask for?
This has to be made into a film,
I enjoyed getting to know Flora and seeing cameos from Prince Charming. I absolutely adored the f/f romance. Another thing I truly enjoyed the bisexual representation. Rachel Hawkins does an outstanding job allowing us to see under Flora's cold exterior.
Not really my cup of tea. I didn't much enjoy this story or the characters all that much. Probably won't be reading the full story.
The sneak peek I read of this was delightful. A lovely enemies to lovers story involving a princess and a Texan girl. Since reading the sneak peek, I read the full book and find it hard to separate the two so I have included my full review of the book below.

*3.5 ⭐️

If you’re looking for a royal romance that isn’t the same as the girl not knowing she’s falling for a prince, then this is the right place for you. ‘Her Royal Highness’ is essentially about Millie moving to a Scottish boarding school known for educating royals. There she meets Flora, her roommate and who also happens to be the princess of Scotland. They may have gotten off on the wrong foot, but they can’t help but feel attracted to the other.

Firstly, Millie is the absolute sweetest. She just wants everyone to be happy and to not cause trouble, but Flora has other plans. Also loved that she’s into geology, appreciate seeing girls that want to get into STEM. She’s also bisexual and I honestly feel like I’m being blessed with all the bi girl books coming out recently (pun absolutely intended).

Flora on the other hand, was not someone I liked. She did grow on me a little, but I don’t think there was enough time in the book for her character to really make sense to me. I just think her character arc was very quick and didn’t feel organic. I know that some people love her so maybe it’s just a me thing.

The Scottish setting completely worked for this story. It felt like this boarding school was the more attainable version of Hogwarts. I only wish we got to spend more time at the school, but I see how it wouldn’t have exactly progressed the plot staying in the same place.

The actual plot points and events in the book were ones that I highly enjoyed. However, I found it to be far too fast paced for me to really process what had just happened. The climax didn’t really feel like one so the ending also felt incredibly rushed and unsatisfying.

I definitely found the romance addictive and easy to read and so it may have felt more quick than it actually was. I do have to also take into account that I do love torturously slow burn romances, what can I say? I’m a masochist. Millie and Flora were still extremely cute.

Overall, I loved how fluffy and addictive this was to read. If you want a sapphic royal romance, it’s definitely what you’re going to get. However if you’re looking for a sapphic romance with a bi lead that’s better in my opinion, I’d suggest ‘Hot Dog Girl’. Completely different settings but with more believable characters and the same light tone.
I forgot to review this upon reading the sampler (oops), but I need this book so badly in my life—the sampler looks so amazing! And gay (which is key.)
[3.5 stars] If you read Hex Hall then you know Rachel Hawkins is awesome. I'm only giving this 3.5 stars because I do feel like the story followed a guided outline on how this type of story should go. American with a broken heart goes overseas, meets royal, falls in love. It's not that I hate that, I really do like it. But I wanted a little bit of a twist from the same old same old. I did like Flora's struggle with her sexuality being a "phase" in the eyes of the family and I wanted more depth I guess. Something to turn this story around into a more meaningful read?

Millie and Flora were very likable so I guess I just want more of them and to see more intrigue and self awareness!
What a fun contemporary romance with a royal twist! I wish there was more to this story, so I am hopeful that more books in this series are to come!
A tantalising taster for this trip to the Hogwarts of the Highlands (Gregorstoun) - an exclusive boarding school where the Royal Family have traditionally sent their offspring to get an education. Thrown into this refined mix is American Millie, nursing a broken heart courtesy of her best-friend-turned-girlfriend-turned-oh-dear-what-a-mess Jude. The sampler leaves you hanging just as things start to get interesting - when Millie finds out she's rooming with a beautiful princess. Who knows if they will all live happily ever after....
4.25/5stars

This was sO CUTE and GAY and UGH. Lowered slightly cause these books definitely follow a pretty set pattern and I wish the ending could have gone for a bit longer but other than that this was too cute!!
I got too excited by the premise of this book to realize it was a sneek peak, or I wouldn't have gotten it. I will definitely read it in full at some point.
This was everything my little sapphic heart wanted! I've been in love with Rachel Hawkins' writing since Hex Hall, and this was no different. This is exactly what I'm looking for when I mean slow-burn sapphics but also they're roommates and there is copious amounts of fluff.
Let's do this one more time but now it's with girls and they like each other! I can't help but feel that this is the same horse and I wish there was something special to this story. We get the standard setup. Millie decides to leave the country because her heart is broken and she has great grades. In comes the resident roomy with her entitled attitude and gorgeous face. What will ensue?!

I think we've been around the block before to know princess Flora doesn't want to be at a boarding school. However, after failed attempts to escape and learning how poor people live, she grows the littlest bit empathetic. Millie also gets flexed on by the high life and is mesmerized by expensive luxurious. This all sounds super familiar and I don't know how I feel about that. Does a YA romcom need to reinvent the wheel? Is it enough to have the same story but with x demographic?

I can't even say if this is endearing. It's predictable at best and selling itself short at worst. Like I really appreciate the part where Flora talks about how frustrating it is how her sexuality is seen as a phase. That she's expected to marry a man in the future. I can't even begin to express how devastated I would feel if that were the case and there's not much that said about the subject. Her mother even goes lengths to separate Flora from any girl she thinks is getting too close to her daughter in the case they develop feelings. This denial should have been the core conflict, but instead we get one where Millie feels uncomfortable being in the spotlight. I get that but I don't think the ending really addressed it.

I'm just glad that in this timeline, the public seems cool of Flora's dating life albeit intrusively. The rest of the book went in a blur. There's not enough substance for me to remember Millie and Flora as characters and not a twist on an established trope. I recommend this for fans of normalizing differing sexualities. It's a cute read and not meant to make you feel sad.
This sampler has set up what looks like it is going to be so much fun! Plus points for the gorgeous Scottish setting, and a legitimately bi protagonist who is bound to get her happy ending because this is definitely going to be a rom-com.
When Millie Quint's girlfriend/best friend cheats on her, Millie takes the opportunity to go to a top level Scottish boarding school.  Will she be able to reinvent herself?
Thank you for the opportunity to sample this story, I immediately purchased it on release day.  Funny, charming and thoroughly entertaining, I could not wait to read the rest of the book.
It was a cute story but not really my taste plus I got lost in a few parts due to the fact I never read the first book in the series because I did not know there was one lol. Overall it was a cute story.