No Other Duke But You

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Jan 2020

Such a fun romance that starts out with them just being friends and going along through all that life has to offer, then one day IT happens and you are in love! Oh how did that happen? You will just have to read this book to find out! Thanks for the great book!
DNF @ 30%

I enjoyed the previous two books but this one? Not so much. It feels like I'm reading YA; the characters sounded so young, and I didn't really like that.
This is a delightful historical romance. I would recommend to anyone who enjoys this genre. Delilah is a headstrong Lady who starts the book by buying a love potion to give to the Duke of Branville (the catch of the season).  Delilah's best friend the Duke of Huntley would also be the catch of the season if he'd ever declare the wish to marry. However the reason he hasn't ever married is quite simple, he is in love with Delilah.

When Delilah gives him the love potion by mistake, a series of funny events take place and Delilah slowly comes to realise she may have set her sights on the wrong Duke, the right one being under her nose all along, but she feels she has tricked him. How can she be sure he isn't just under the influence of the love potion? Great dialogue and some very lively additional characters make this story engaging and interesting.
I can happily say this book was seriously cute. It had an adorable lighthearted romance, with a cute as hell heroine and a swoonworthy hero. It was a little silly, but silly was perfection.

AND! This book had a PARROT!

It was like two loves coming together in one enjoyable read. Seriously, I have no complaints. No Other Duke but You was fun!
No Other Duke But You ⭐️

The eleventh book in the Playful Brides series, No Other Duke But You, is inspired by William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.
SINGLE LADY SEEKS DUKE
Lady Delilah Montebank has her marital sights set on the Duke of Branville. There’s just one problem: he barely knows she exists. But no matter, she’s got a plan to win him over with her charm, her wit―and perhaps the love potion she has in her possession wouldn’t hurt her cause...
Lord Thomas Hobbs, Duke of Huntley, thinks his best friend Delilah’s quest to become a duchess is ridiculous. He’s always said he’d rather give up all the brandy in London than commit to one person for life. Besides, he knows that Delilah’s love potion can’t possibly win over Branville...since she accidentally gave it to him instead. But perhaps this is the excuse he needs to show her he’s always loved her...
Delilah can’t believe she gave the potion to the wrong duke. Then again, Delilah could do a lot worse than win the hand of her handsome best friend. Could it be that the right duke has been before her eyes all along?

After six seasons, Delilah Montebank needs a husband. With her mother growing increasingly frustrated by Delilah’s constant attempts to make matches for her friends while neglecting her duty to secure a betrothal herself, the clock is ticking. Either Delilah finds someone to marry or her mother will pick a husband for her. But as Delilah sets her sights on London’s most eligible bachelor, the Duke of Branville, she realizes extra help is required. Her solution: a love potion. Delilah's best friend, Lord Thomas Hobbs, doesn’t believe in love potions, but when Delilah accidentally sprinkles the potion on him, he knows it’s the perfect excuse to finally act on his feelings for her. He’s always loved her, but as Delilah begins to fall for her friend, she worries about what will happen to the two of them when her potion finally wears off. And even if Delilah and Thomas can make a go of their relationship, they'll still have to earn her mother’s blessing. There isn't much emotional depth, though there are still feel-good moments that make the courtship lean more toward sweet rather than sizzling. With runaway squirrels, Shakespearean plays produced in secret, and numerous clumsy misunderstandings, this is cotton candy in book form: light and whimsical but not enough to fill you up.

Cute and kitschy but emotionally unsatisfying. A comedy of errors, the romance between Delilah and Thomas, along with all the background shenanigans, pushes this novel into the territory of the ridiculous. With much of the character development relying on history established in previous books. Having read other books in the series and enjoyed them, I would NOT recommend this as a stand alone read.

After months of starts and then being so disgusted by the juvenile story line this truly this should have been a DNF.

I received this ARC for free in exchange for my honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Thank you NetGalley.
No Other Duke But You by Valerie Bowman
Subgenre: historical romance
Release date: 30 Apr 2019
Publisher: St Martin’s Paperbacks
Format: ebook and print
Length: 312 pages
RRP: $8.79 (ebook); $15.99 (print)
The matchmaking team are at it again. Lucy Hunt and several of her friends are determined to make matches for friends and others who request it.
Lady Delilah Montebank, is in the team of matchmakers with Lucy, and Delilah has been so busy during her six seasons, she hasn’t had the time to even think about her own match. That is until her mother tells her that she must make a match by her birthday, or she will be marrying Clarence Hilton, the son of the Earl of Hilton, who was reportedly her father’s best friend.
Delilah is a very pleasant and somewhat naïve young lady. She believes in love and making the best matches, but she doesn’t really understand the true nature of the relationships between men and women. She is rather clumsy, for example, when out walking with her target Duke, she is whipped in the face by a tree branch. She speaks bad French whenever she tries to inject it into her conversation, and she has a parrot, that repeats whatever he hears, called Miss Adeline. And her own mother despises her daughter.
Delilah makes the mistake of telling her mother that she will marry the ultimate catch of the season, the Duke of Branville.
Thomas Hobbs, Duke of Huntley, has been reluctant to marry. He inherited the dukedom while he was completing his university studies, and he has since felt he has much to live up to. He has a sister who is very demanding, and insists through blackmail that she be entitled to a match to her specifications, but managed to scare off the best of men. Thomas decides it is time to find a wife and he approaches Lucy Hunt to make his match, Delilah, but Delilah is not to know. He has loved Delilah forever.
What ensues is matchmaking chaos. Each of the people who were seeking a match seem to find another more compatible. This makes for a very frustrating time for Delilah and the matchmakers. Delilah goes to extreme lengths to make sure the Duke of Branville is attracted to her, including a potion. Eventually Delilah realises Thomas is her one and only.
Shakespeare’s play A Mid-Summer Night’s Dream is the focus, and is the way in which each of the characters being matched can interact and to be visible to their possible match. Then Delilah’s mother finds out she has participated in the play, and she takes it out on Delilah, and says she must marry Clarence. Fortunately, Thomas finds out why the mother wants this arrangement between Clarence and Delilah, and banishes her mother from their life once they marry.
I have been enjoying this series around the matchmaker friends. This particular story has many elements of a comedy of errors as Thomas tries to convince Delilah they should be together as he has loved her forever. Delilah is totally oblivious to the clues Thomas sends her as she is focused on her own matchmaking and the match she needs to make. I really like that, as he understands her, he was able to take things at an appropriate speed, like her first kiss. I also like what he did to her mother. (Yes, I did find her mother very loathsome and odious and there was not enough done to her to make her suffer).
reviewed by Heather
A review copy of this book was provided by the publisher.
Heroine a Bit Dizzy and Ditzy

I'm not quite sure exactly what I think of this book. Parts of it were what I enjoy about a Regency, like the sometimes funny play of manners of the aristocracy. The characters can get themselves all tied up in knots and involved in a variety of unlikely schemes. I enjoyed the group of friends, both the gentleman (who particularly showed their mettle at the end) and the ladies. I quite liked the hero, with his unrequited, long-time love for his best friend (the heroine, Delilah) and his attempt to subtly show her how he ticked all the boxes on her ideal husband list. I wasn't so wild about Delilah herself. She had a naivete about her mother and the hero that just didn't ring true and actually became annoying. When she latched on to an idea, she wouldn't let go, no matter what others told her or what she herself experienced. She might be compassionate, but she didn't come across as terribly bright or able to make logical decisions. It got a little tedious at times to see her make the same mistakes, think the same silly thoughts, or do the same not-to-bright things over and over, dithering about the same conundrums constantly; her head is a very unsettled place to be. I found myself wishing at times that the hero had a more worthy heroine. The book was mostly clean right up until the end, so the sudden sensuousness of the novel was a bit jarring even though I don't mind a sensual romance. It just didn't seem to be a natural part of either their relationship or the book itself.
Delilah makes a deal with her mother that she can secure an offer of marriage from the most eligible bachelor, Duke Branville before the end of the season. However all her experience of matchmaking for others has not prepared her to fix her own match.
When it seems like her efforts of going nowhere, Delilah grows desperate and decides to enlist the help of a love potion.
When her best friend, Thomas Huntley learns of her schemes, he decides to take the opportunity to show Delilah how he feels- how he has always felt- about her. Huntley has been waiting for Delilah to decide she was ready for marriage so that he could make his move.
I looked forward to reading Delilah's story ever since her first appearance in "The Irresistible Rogue". However this book was not as action-packed as some of the other books in the series so I am giving it 3 stars instead of 5.
I loved the romance between Thomas and Delilah however I just wished that there was more chemistry between them from the very beginning.
I enjoyed this book. I've been following the Playful Brides series for a couple of years, and I was excited to read this one. It did not disappoint, and I would recommend it to others.
When a group of high-spirited, high-society ladies and gentlemen put on a performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, hijinks are sure to ensue. There’s an absolutely hilarious scene in this book where it seems half the cast are running around a country house in the middle of the night, all trying to get into the bedrooms of someone they shouldn’t, generally someone who doesn’t return their affections, while trying to use a ‘love potion’ of doubtful origins. I adore Lucy, the matchmaking duchess who appears throughout this series, and Lucy’s befuddlement as she tried to work out just what went wrong and who was up to what had me in stitches.

Delilah is Lucy’s closest friend, a matchmaker who’s always been too busy to make a match for herself, but she’s finally run out of time. Her mother - an appalling excuse for a human being - has given her an ultimatum, and Delilah, who can’t resist a challenge, has thrown down the gauntlet in return. Now she has just two weeks to extract a marriage proposal from a man she’s never even met… but he is a duke, and the catch of the season.

The thing is that Delilah already has a duke in love with her, her best friend Thomas. It’s just that she really hasn’t noticed. When Lucy ropes him into their matchmaking efforts and a rival starts showing interest in Thomas, however, Delilah realizes she might just be aiming her sights at the wrong duke.

Now, for personal reasons, friends to lovers really isn’t my favourite romance trope, but it’s done so well here, with so much humour and charm, I absolutely adored it. Even if you haven’t read any of the previous books in this series (I’ve read a few but not all) you’ll be able to figure out what’s going on with the cast of characters, and with most of the action centered on Delilah and Thomas you’ll fall in love with them just like I did. Five stars for a funny, clever read full of mischief and shenanigans.
I enjoyed this one. A favorite author of mine indeed! Clever title and characters came to life in a brilliant way!
Those of you following this delightful series have been anxiously waiting for this story to unfold. We have watched Lady Delilah and Lord Thomas grow and followed their antics. And the wait if finally over and we are rewarded with an ending that is everything we had hoped for and more.

Lady Delilah is a force to be reckoned with. With her wit, unconventional ways and a pet parrot that is just as witty as his owner, she is a heroine that you would be hard pressed to forget and not love. But it takes a special kind of man to appreciate her uniqueness and it seems that her best friend is that man.

Lord Thomas Hobbs, the Duke if Huntley has been waiting for his best friend to realise that their relationship can be more than just a friendship. So he does the one thing he knows that she won’t be able to resist. Asks for her assistance in finding him a bride. A request that no matchmaker will be able to resist. While Delilah is determined to catch the attention of the most eligible bachelor of the season, the Duke of Branville, she finds herself seeing her best friend in a whole new light and seeing that maybe  it’s Thomas who is the Duke for her.

A delightful, witty and playful romance full of laugh out loud moments! Not to be missed!
A Regency rom-com, “No Other Duke But You” has Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” intricately entwined to the plot, I immediately thought of “Sleepless in Seattle” wherein the classic film “An Affair to Remember” was also so much part of the story.

So, though some would say that “No Other Duke But You” has a Shakespearean twist, I’ll say that it is more than just a twist. The play “A Midsummer’s Night Dream” is almost one of the characters! It seems that Puck is creating as much havoc here as in the play.

Not necessarily a comedy of errors, “No Other Duke But You” has so many laugh out loud funny moments that it is more than just entertaining. I had to stop reading at times just to wipe tears from eyes from laughing.

Lady Delilah Montebank and Lord Thomas Hobbs are not your typical romantic heroes; they definitely came from a different mold. They are so entertaining, they are rememberable.

“No Other Duke But You” is Rated T for Teens.
As a long time fan of Bowman, I immediately jumped at this novel. It had everything I wanted and childhood friends-to-lovers is one of my favorite tropes. It started off strong with Bowman’s trademark humor and wit and moved quickly. However, I had a problem with immature heroine and unremarkable hero. Typically I enjoy Bowman’s heroine’s but this one felt too immature, bordering on obnoxious. While there was nothing wrong with the hero, he just didn’t stand out., The plot also fell victim to progression by misunderstanding, meaning that most of the conflict existed due to lack of communication. As someone who is sometimes overly honest, this grates all my nerves.

Overall, I didn’t hate the novel. It still felt like a Bowman novel, but not as good as previous entries I have read from her.
I completely adored this book! It's definitely a page-turner but also witty and light-hearted. Classic friends to lovers. Definitely recommend it!
I always adore a Valerie Bowman book and this one did not disappoint.  After getting to know Delilah through so many of the Playful Brides books it was so nice to finally read her HEA.  Delilah has a skill at matchmaking but disastrous when finding love for herself.  Huntley chooses to sit back and watch while hoping she realizes it is he she wants.  A fun friends to lovers story that brings together so many of the playful brides characters!  Definitely recommend.
Great love story among friends that fail to see they are right for each other.  The adventures they get into together shows how much they enjoy being together.  A good read.
Delilah is a determined woman. But is Thomas more determined than she? And will he be able to show her that life can be far from what she thinks it should be? Another story by Valerie Bowman tied to stories from the Bowstreet runners. Loved it.
Lady Delilah Montebank has her marital sights set on the Duke of Branville. There’s just one problem: he barely knows she exists. But no matter, she’s got a plan to win him over with her charm, her wit—and perhaps the love potion she has in her possession wouldn’t hurt her cause...Lord Thomas Hobbs, Duke of Huntley, thinks his best friend Delilah’s quest to become a duchess is ridiculous. He’s always said he’d rather give up all the brandy in London than commit to one person for life. Besides, he knows that Delilah’s love potion can’t possibly win over Branville…since she accidentally gave it to him instead. But perhaps this is the excuse he needs to show her he’s always loved her…
This was an inventive story on how a man can move from the friend zone in an era when the term didn’t exist. In these types of stories, usually it’s the female with the unrequited love. It was a nice change of pace to have it the other way around. I really enjoyed this story and the characters, Delilah’s quirky nature in particular. I recommend.
**I voluntarily read and reviewed this book
Lady Delilah Montebank has been a matchmaker for several of her friends in society.  Now, her mother is demanding that if she doesn't have a potential husband by her birthday, Delilah will have to marry who her mother wants.  Delilah declares that she is going to marry the most eligible man in society.

Thomas Hobbs has been Delilah's best friend since childhood.  He realizes that he loves Delilah.  Unfortunately, Delilah isn't after the correct Duke - him!

Can Thomas convince Delilah that he is the right duke?

This was a sweet friends to lovers romance.  I liked Delilah and Thomas.  They were perfect characters.  I enjoyed reading this book.