A Dancer's Guide To Africa

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 13 Feb 2019

I was immediately drawn to A Dancer's Guide to Africa because I love stories about Africa. It's the story of a young woman, a classical ballet dancer, who accepts a two year assignment working with the Peace Corps in Gabon, Africa. She takes this journey to find her true self. Did she make the right decision in coming to Africa of all places? Along the way, she meets many people who challenge her resolve, values and identity. She questions her life and what's truly important. The story is so well written and flows along so well that you will lose track of time. The heroine is a wonderfully developed young woman of strength, character and heart. The descriptions of the African landscape are beautiful and lyrical. It's as if, for a moment, you are transported there. I loved this story.  I will read more from the author, Terez Mertes Rose. If you want to read a beautiful story, this one is perfect. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
I liked it, but I didn’t love it. I would actually rate it 3.5. I would read more from this author at some point though. She has a way with words.
It didn’t take me long to fall in love with this book. I want to thank the author, publisher and Net Galley for the ARC I received in exchange for an honest review,
This is a beautifully written novel about a young woman with a background in classical ballet who gets a position as an English teacher with the Peace Corps in Gabon, Africa. The lush descriptions of the countryside and customs are alone worth the read. It was evident the author drew on her knowledge and love of dance, storytelling, music and their mystical elements to weave a suspenseful tale. I will definitely be reading her other books.
A better than average fictional account of a young woman's stint in the Peace Corps in Africa. Filled with relationships, danger and dancing the main character experiences personal growth. Descriptive writing of food and locale bring the setting to life.

Copy provided by the Publisher and NetGalley