Cover Image: Wilder Girls

Wilder Girls

Power’s debut reflects the author’s name: powerful. The main characters are isolated on a decaying island where the decay spreads to the girls. Power creates a very palpably dangerous environment that has become everyday to the girls left. The body horror she writes is distressingly excellent and evocative as is the strained yet close relationships between the three protagonists. This is perfect for fans of ANNIHILATION or for any readers interested in climate science fiction and horror.
This book was pretty good. The ending felt a little abrupt though and there were still a lot of questions that were never answered.
I was intrigued by the unique storyline in Wilder Girls, but was disappointed that it ended up being a standalone.  I thought the ending left the reader unsatisfied. Yet, I thought the writing was beautiful and felt a connection to the characters in Wilder Girls, enough so that I look forward to Power's other works.
Very interesting book, it kept me on the edge of my seat. Not knowing how the girls of Raxter were going to survive the Tox.
I will say, their is one character in the book that hit my heart good. Her name is Mona and I was very heartbroken about her death.
An eerie and chilling read. I loved every second and found Rory's prose to be both beautiful and terrifying.
I really wanted to love this book. I really did.
And I liked it but I didn't love it.
The concept was great but the execution was a bit of a disappointment.
This book left me speechless. The writing was amazing—edgy and smart and the characters were three-dimensional and relatable. The plot was out there in the best way and I never guessed what was going to happen next. Power is definitely a new fave of mine.
At first it was a DNF because the plot moved slow and I was a hard time connecting with the characters but then I tried again and enjoyed it!
I'm currently clearing out all of the books that were published in 2019-20 from my title feedback view!
If you are looking for a violent, gory book filled with characters unlike anything you have ever come across before then look no further.

This book not only features a beautiful cover, but it has a matching story to go along with it. The characters are not your typical females, stuck on an island plagued by "the Tox", who have gotten deformities. And I am not talking cute little deformities like a set of pixy wings. No these are the stuff of nightmares, two spines, scared skin, double hearts.
What's more is their personalities are exactly as you would expect real life women to be given their situation. They are unlikable, determined, strong willed women who know what they want and they intend to get it.
Queer girls take over the world in this incredible story from Rory Power, with aesthetics and vibes for days on a moody island and a big mystery of why the girls are really there-- and what's happening outside. I want more!
Thank you so much @DelacortePress & @NetGalley for giving me this eARC in exchange for my honest and unbiased review (Release Date | 9 July 2019)

SYNOPSIS | It's been 2 years since the 'Tox' appeared on Raxtor Island causing Raxtor's School for Girls to go into quarantine. No one knows what the 'Tox' is, but it has infected the plants, animals & students and they've been told to survive whilst a cure is researched.

WHAT I LIKED:
- loved the isolated setting
- I don't read a lot of horror so the body horror was disturbingly intriguing to me
- I am obsessed with this cover

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
- the romance. I don't think it added anything to the story.
- the abrupt ending. I'm usually down for an ambiguous ending but this story just stopped!!
- 90% of the story was day to day boringness which is frustrating because this concept had so much potential.
This book was hyped to the hills and just look at that stunning cover. It was touted as a feminist Lord of the Rings. How could I not request this book? Well, once i opened my kindle and started reading I quickly recognized this book just wasn't for me. The writing style didn't work for me and I wasn't expecting the gore and such. I get the feminist aspect and can appreciate the message.
I went into this book with very high expectations. Sadly, those expectations weren't met. The atmosphere of the book was definitely spot on but the overall story and characters bore me and just weren't what I was looking for. The ending also kind of killed it for me because WHAT HAPPENS?!
I always thought it would be cool so see a Maze Runner-esque or lord of the flies type of story. I loved that this story flipped that entire premise on its head and Rory (the author) really went for it. I loved the LGBT POV of the main character. In my opinion I loved how flawed and relatable she is to both boys and girls. The world the author created in some strange way I envisioned it so clearly. I loved rooting for everyone. My only criticism is that the book ended. Hahaha.
Weird and creepy, with just the right amount of sapphic plot twists, this book is a hit!  I love how this book takes the ordinary and turns it into something else entirely.  The plot is original and the idea is stunning!  Love this and everything that Rory Power writes!
Super interesting, with the right amount of scary, feminism, thriller, and action. Feminist horror is a great new genre.
Received a digital ARC of this book via NetGalley.

Good storyline-especially since it came out pre-pandemic 2020. I found the beginning kinda slow but at about the halfway mark all the way to end was filled with action! Definitely detailed though regarding how the Tox has affected the various characters. I could visualize the vines, the blood, the little worm thing.
Wilder Girls has a beautiful cover and a fantastically creepy setting. A strange illness called the Tox has spread through the Raxter School for Girls, after teachers and staff begin dying, the school and surrounded wooded island has remained on quarantine until a cure is available.

The story centers around teenage girls in an academia-type setting. The illness is plaguing everyone with fear as it begins to mutate and kill others, including animals. Hetty, the main character, is desperately searching for her missing friend, Bryatt, and while she is led to believe Bryatt is dead, she slowly begins to uncover secrets that start to unravel everything she knows.

I loved the horror, the friendships, the gore, the confusion, and especially the writing. It is mysterious, strange, and moody. I was quite enthralled throughout the book due to the creepiness, and it is quite a unique book in this way.

My only complaint is the ending and lack of a backstory which I feel the book would have really benefited from in order to invest the reader into the story more.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this to lovers of YA and I look forward to reading more from this author.

Thank you to #netgalley and @DelacortePress for my advanced e-galley in exchange for an honest review.
Truly enjoyed this book! I became very attached to the characters right away. Which is great for me, making the book a complete page turner. The twists and turns were fantastic! I hope that someday we get a sequel. Highly recommend this book to anyone who is into an odd read.