Mr. Hunt, I Presume

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Feb 2019

I loved this book by Valerie Bowman! An inspiring story that played out very well! It's a story of second chances at love. Collin and Erienne were great together but with this being a novella I wished there was more.  It kept me enthralled through the entire tale and was an enjoyable read.
Well written and as complete of a story as a novella can be. I must admit I did like the heroine much more than the hero. More groveling on his part would have been nice.
The Duchess of Claringdon is at it again. Lucy just can't help herself when it comes to matchmaking! In this novella for the Playful Brides series, author Valerie Bowman tells a story of reluctant but destined love with a lot of her signature humor.
My biggest complaint is that it is a novella and was over far too quickly.
I loved this book by Valerie Bowman! An inspiring story that played out very well! It's a story of second chances at love. It kept me enthralled through the entire tale. Loved that I have found a new author to read! I received a complimentary copy of this book. I voluntarily reviewed it and the comments are my own.
Very good second chance story. Collin and Erienne were great together but with this being a novella, not as much character development in some of her other stories. But it was an enjoyable read.
I enjoyed this.  Book. Great plot and good characters. Valerie Bowman is an awesome author and she is on my shelf of go to’s
For a quick read, I managed to this book in one sitting. And if you are fan of Ms Bowman's work then you will like this book. For me the characters grabbed me and pulled me into the book.
A fun matchmaking romance. I enjoyed the couples in this and the peek into the family dynamics. Great read!

Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
Lucy Hunt is at it again, after all next to her family, matchmaking is her favorite thing. Once she finds that one of her current candidates for governess was more than a friend to her brother-in-law, Collin, her wheels are spinning. Exactly what happened fourteen years ago to separate them? Do Etienne and Collin deserve a second chance at finding love? If you read this book you will find the answer to these questions. It is a nice read. Though not my favorite of Valerie Bowman`s offerings, it is worthwhile reading.
Erienne Stone never imagined taking a governess position with the Duke and Duchess of Claringdon would change her life. The man who broke her heart when she was but eighteen is the brother to the Duke, Collin Hunt, and he's arrived on a much needed vacation. She panics when she discovers he's staying in the same house as her. She pleads to the Duchess to not intervene but Lucy doesn't listen. Erienne's feelings for Collin flood her heart. Why did he leave me? What must I do?

Collin is a general and overworks himself. His boss orders him to a two-week holiday. Collin agrees and decides to go visit his brother and sister-in-law. When he arrives, he's greeted with the only woman he's ever loved, Erienne. Misunderstands ensue and Collin is left with one choice: bare his aching heart to Erienne in the hopes she'll forgive him or go back to a lonely life devoid of emotion.

Wow, what a wonderful second-chance Regency romance! I've never read anything by Valerie Bowman before this one but I have just 1-clicked her entire Playful Brides series. Yes, it's that good.

Wonderfully woven with engaging characters, plenty of misunderstandings and a matchmaker intent on bringing two brokenhearted people together in the name of love. Emotional in only the best possible way, this is a must-read!

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from the publisher via Netgalley in the hopes I'd review it.

My Rating: 5+ stars
I love second chance love stories and this one was deliciously good! My only issue with it is that it seemed so short! Beautifully written and packed full of emotion, this one will definitely satisfy readers who love a feel-good romance. Definitely recommended!
I'm an absolute fan of Valerie Bowman's novels, so it's no wonder I liked the book.
The big problem of the book? It's a short story, that's it.

But how do you refuse to know a new second-chance novel?

Collin and Erienne (I liked her name) have known each other for many years, and were in love.
She was the daughter of a proud Baron, who would not accept this romance because of the kind of family Collin had.
With such resistance, Collin decided to abandon everything, including Erienne's love, and followed his father's career by becoming a military man.
Against her father's wish, Erienne chose to go to work as a governess.

Only many years later, when he was forced to take a vacation, as General, Collin meets Erienne again, and he is scared to see she working as governess.
But even more frightening, it is the determination of his sister-in-law, the Duchess, to play the matchmaker for them.

As I said, too pity the book is short.
4 stars
I wanted to rate this higher, but I have more complaints than praise.

My favorite moment was when the heroine is asked why the army is after her.  The emotions are strong and believable but the plot...is very unconventional.  The repeated references to Cinderella, a peerage female hiring herself out as a governess when her family is still alive and sending wages back to her brother, the instant fondling to oral sex to more, etc.
Not a story I will seek out for another read even though it ends happily as a second chance romance.

I received a free ARC from Netgalley.
On of my 2019 favorites already. I absolutely loved this book.

He needs holidays from his job in the Home Office. She needed a job. Once upon a time they have been in love. If the story would be this easy ...

General Colin Hunt once has been in love with a young woman but was never good enough for her family. He was a young soldier, she the daughter of a Baron. Nowadays things are different. She, Erienne, fell socially and works as a governess now and is looking for a new position. Colin has to take some days off and decided to spent time with his brother, sister in law and their children. He doesn't know that his sister in law tries to play matchmaker.

It's a wonderful story. Simply wonderful.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley and I am voluntarily reviewing it.

Oh my stars! I seriously cried at parts. This was such an emotional story. It is full of angst and joy all in one. Ms. Bowman has such a way with words. I was immediately drawn into this story. I read this in one setting. The plot flowed by so smoothly, it was like being right there in the middle of the story.

Collin was a young man in the army and gave up his true love so she could have more than he could give her. Erienne was so hurt that she moved away and become a governess. Such a tragic story. Collin was such a drool-worthy hero in this story. Erienee was adorable. For one so young, she grew up and turned her back on society after the love of her life left her. What courage and spirit she had. I fell in love with both of them. I was so drawn into their story of a second chance romance.

This story is not erotica but should be read by a mature reader. I highly recommend this book.
I just finished reading Mr. Hunt, I Presume by Valerie Bowman. *sigh*
I love a second chance romance story. And I really enjoyed this one although it actually made me cry at times and angry at others.
This is a short read, but worth the time. I loved Collin and Erienne. They both deserved better than they got in their youth. As with any second chance story there were others involved who thought they knew better. Ugh, there's always one rotten one in the bunch.
It was a auperbe book. I love books from this author.  You have a lot of emotions and love.  You don't want to out the book down.
~~Reviewed by Lisa~~

How wonderful! This is the perfect story of second chances. While it takes 14 years for them to get their HEA, it was time Collin needed to come into his own. There was a lot he had to overcome, but he did it in spectacular form. They also had to find a way through the maze her parents created through their expectations for Erienne and what she could do for them.

Thank goodness for Lucy, the Duchess of Claringdon and her matchmaking ways. She brings Collin and Erienne into close proximity and sparks start to fly from the banked embers in their hearts. I adored Lucy and her husband and their roles, they added a lightness and humor to the story.

Ms. Bowman breathes depth and spirit into her characters. While this is a novella, it feels like a novel, there were no holes or details left unattended. I am grateful that more time was NOT spent on Erienne’s parents, I feel I would have been hard pressed to find any real way to show them in a favorable light.

Collin Hunt is now a Home Office general, after a career as a soldier and a spy, that began when he was just sixteen.  His superior insists that he take a vacation, and won’t hear a refusal.  Though not happy, as his work is his life, Collin decides to visit his brother, Derek, and his family.  If only Collin could be sure that his sister-in-law, Lucy, won’t try her matchmaking skills again, he might actually enjoy the break.  Lucy actually considers herself a genuine matchmaker, and her sights are set on Collin.  She knows there was a disappointing love in his past which has soured him on marriage.  As she’s interviewing for a governess for her own children, she comes upon a candidate who apparently has some ties to Collin.  Could this be the mystery woman from Collin’s past?

Erienne Stone has worked for the Hilltop family for fourteen years, caring for their children.  It’s finally time to look for a new position.  She is hesitant about applying to Derek, as he might remember her from their teenage years, when she and Collin were sweethearts.  Lucy is overly eager to hire Erienne, offering a salary she can’t refuse.  Lucy is also insistent on Erienne joining the family for dinner, where she and Collin come face to face for the first time in over a decade.

Though Collin and Erienne were in love and planned to marry, some obstacles were thrown in their path, some of Collin’s making, and some from others.  They ended up parting, each believing that the other rejected them.  Over the years, neither found another love or married.  Their initial meeting at dinner is awkward, and Erienne ends up fleeing, though Collin follows.  After all the years and misunderstandings, their reunion results in a fiery passion.

I love that MR. HUNT, I PRESUME was about a hero and heroine in their thirties, though by the same token, it made me extremely sad that they were parted for so long.  Some outside forces unfortunately played a big part in their separation, and their youth and insecurities led them to accept lies as truth.  Their reconciliation was sweet, and Colin’s gesture near the end had a fairy-tale like quality that was a satisfying conclusion to this short, steamy, and enjoyable story.
Great novella. Erienne is hired as governess, but she was once in love with her boss’s brother, Collin. Forced to take a vacation, Collin is stunned to see his old love again.

Sweet romance and love the matchmaking hijinks of Lucy! I have enjoyed all the books I’ve read in this series.

Thanks to the publisher for a review copy via NetGalley.