Murder in an Irish Pub

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Mar 2019

This cozy mystery kept me guessing, and I just loved the setting - so evocative and different than my usual US-based cozies.  I will definitely be reading more in this series.
I enjoy this series about Siobhan's family and her life in the small Irish village of Kilbane.  Happy with her job in the Garda she attends a local poker tournament off duty.  After a big fight and hits of cheating and bullying, Siobhan finds the "winner" hanging the next morning in a locked room.  Not happy with the suicide verdict she investigates and soon the village is split on the verdict.  A pregnant widow, an unhappy horse owner and undercover agents make for a convoluted investigation.  I enjoy this series, this is book 4 in the Irish Village and you learn a good bit about Irish culture and history.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
New author and series to me and I enjoy the story and mystery, it kept me guessing all the way.

I also, enjoyed how clean this book was of cussing and I how the author used terms real Ireland people would use today it made me feel as if I was right there.

What I would have loved to read more of is setting descriptions and a bit of background of the characters even though it can become respective to the people who have read the series but to those of us who just randomly pick a book up, it helps to keep a bit on track of who is who and what they are doing even though it is respective to some. So, if you haven’t picked up this series I would suggest starting with book one to make sure you don’t get lost like I did a few times.

Now, I need to go pick up book one so I can get all the happens, of who is who from the beginning.
This seems to be multi-book series set in the quaint town in Ireland. I enjoyed the main mystery aspect of the murder as opposed to your traditional who-done-it. Honestly, this one was a bit hard for me to get through. I didn't connect with any of the characters and the story was not riveting enough for me to continue the turning the pages. I do think the book picked up in the back half however for me it doesn't do enough to compensate for the slow first half.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Siobhan O’Sullivan is a relatively new garda, a police officer on the force in her small village of Kilbane in County Cork, Ireland. She is excited to work the upcoming festival and the major poker tournament that has brought so many tourists and guests to the village. But it’s not long before one of the poker stars find themselves holding a hand that included the 8 of clubs, 8 of spades, ace of clubs, and ace of spades, also known as the Dead Man’s Hand.

When Siobhan finds that same poker star hanging in a store room in a local pub the next morning, she has to struggle to get past the locked door to get to him. Clearly, he was alone, as there is no way to leave the room and lock the deadbolt. But every instinct that Siobhan has points to murder. Will she be able to find the killer in time to save the festival, or will the death be ruled a suicide, allowing the killer to get away?

Murder in an Irish Pub is the fourth in this series by Carlene O’Connor about Siobhan, all her brothers and sisters, and her instincts for truth and justice. I enjoy reading cozies, but to me the best cozies are the ones about strong women who I’d love to sit down with and share a cup of tea or a beer with. And Siobhan is definitely a woman I’d like to call a friend. Murder in an Irish Pub was the first book in this series that I’ve read, but it certainly won’t be the last. This is definitely a character I want to spend some time with.

Murder in an Irish Pub is a cozy that has it all: a likable main character, a compelling crime, lots of interesting family and friends, really good writing, maybe a little romance, and a strong ending. Plus, it’s set in Ireland. What could be better?

Galleys for Murder in an Irish Pub were provided by Kensington through NetGalley, with many thanks.
I have enjoyed this is a series since the first book, although I missed the third one somehow, and I am enjoying the development and evolution of the characters and the village. This story is a bit of a locked room mystery, as the victim was found hanging in a cooler that was locked from the inside. Most agree that it is a suicide, but Siobhan knows something is not right and is sure it is a murder. As she investigates, she finds clues to implicate more and more suspects. Is it the pregnant wife? The disgruntled poker players? A jewel thief? Someone that the wife is having an affair with? Or maybe it was suicide? Read along as Siobhan puts the clues together to solve the mystery.

Siobhan is the main character and she is a sympathetic, likable character that has continued to grow and come into her own. I love visiting with her family although in this book it was a secondary role. She is the oldest and has been responsible for her siblings since her parents were killed. It is an important role in her life and it makes her even more likeable. She is now a member of the garda, so is technically not an amateur sleuth any longer. She is very thoughtful, meticulous and is able to untangle clues and put them together when it comes to solving a crime. The relationship between her and Macdara has continued to evolve as well, and it played a rather surprising and humorous role in this story. He is very respectful of her skills as a garda and even before. He listens to her as she solves the puzzles and between the two of them, they are able to untangle any mystery so far. The mystery was well done and woven throughout the story. It was a locked room type mystery with plenty of clues, twist, turns and red herrings thrown in. While the reveal was not a total surprise (I had some things figured out), some explanations were, and I always like a story when I don't know all the answers until they are revealed. A well written and enjoyable mystery that I recommend to anyone who enjoys a good, clean, mystery.
I received this book via Netgalley and the publisher, in return for an honest review.  A return to a wonderful little Irish village in County Cork is in store when you dive into this mystery.  The O’Sullivan siblings run Naomi’s Bistro with Siobhan as the sibling in charge, when she’s not on duty as the junior Garda in town.   A national poker tournament comes to town with interesting players and lots of intrigue.  When a player is found dead by hanging, in Rory Mack’s pub’s storage room with a locked door, it appears to be a straight suicide.  Siobhan isn’t so sure.  Macdara Flannery, her boss and romantic partner, is hard to convince but he supports her in determining if it was murder.  This is a really well-written story.  Add in the romance, which is well-done and part of the storyline, and it’s worth your time.
Carlene O'Connor's Murder in an Irish Pub is the 4th installment of the Irish Village Mystery series.

To be completely fair, this is the first book in the series that I have read. Normally I do not jump into a series so late because I find the characters already very developed and a lot of their quirks do not necessarily always make sense to a new reader. I found these characters very well developed and did not have an issue following the storyline as a stand alone book.

Thank you to Kensington Books and NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book.
Protagonist Siobhán O'Sullivan is a rookie garda, member of the Irish police force, along with her favorite fella Macdara (Dara) Flannery. The merchants have set up craft tents for the annual Arts and Music Festival and there is a celebratory air with a great deal of excitement over the world-class poker players expected to compete right in their little village.

Unfortunately, the poker venue is moved to a late night, more raucous site, and the booze and competition gets a tad out of hand. The number one player is found hung in a locked storage closet the following morning with what appears as an air-tight argument for suicide--door bolted from the inside.

Siobhán and Dara don't particularly rush into investigative details. There are a large number of characters to clear, red herrings, and twists, and somewhere in all that becomes apparent who the antagonist would prove to be. In the meantime, the reader enjoys a tourist's eye view of the countryside and the Irish people.

Siobhán may have been well developed in the previous three of the series, so is not totally fleshed in this novel other than the snarky dialogue she exchanges with herself. It might be of benefit to begin with the first in the series, although I read easily as a standalone. My first entry to the series and the author and I did enjoy the author's writing style. The villagers and Siobhán's own family are brought into the well-plotted narrative often and creates a pleasing atmosphere of people you'd like to meet. The dialogue runs very natural, easy candid conversation.

The suicide versus murder business kept an even pace and provided enough suspense to propel the reader through to conclusion. It's a light and fast read with a unique plot device (poker tournament) and a location-driven empathetic protagonist. I was given the ebook download by the publisher and NetGalley and appreciate the opportunity to read and review. Recommended for any who enjoy a clean cozy read.
Well written murder mystery.  I enjoyed the plot setting and the author’s writing.  My thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for my digital arc.  This is my unbiased review.
Murder In A Irish Pub is the 4th book in the "Irish Village Mystery Series.  I have read the entire series and highly recommend each book in the series. I do recommend reading the series from the beginning in order to understand all the varied charcters and setting of this wonderful series.
My receipt of a ARC does not influence my opinion.  Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the opportunity to review.
This series has become a fast favorite of mine. I love the wonderful Irish O'Sullivan family and supporting charcters.  The family is close and each member is interesting and adds to each book. As a reader I find myself liking them as I would such a nice family in real life.  The supporting characters are richly drawn upon to add to the series. This is a well crafted series of excellent  witty repartee, superb writing and a great sleuth.  The plot was so excellent I was unable to part with it until the last page was done.  This has such a authentic feel to it throughout with the richly described village and pub.
Our protagonist  Siobhán O’Sullivan has quite a sleuth to solve revolving around a poker tournament. The tournament brings out the worse in some and involves some shady charcters. It was a fun sleuth that kept me guessing and fit perfectly into the feel of the location and charcters. All in all this is a fabulous cozy read and I highly recommend this cozy mystery series.
Thank you Netgalley, publisher, and author for an e-galley of this book.

My first cozy mystery is officially in the books! That being said, I’m not sure how much weight my opinion can hold, but I’ll do my best.

The only real negative I can give, which is totally a personal opinion, is that it was too “clean” for my personal preference. Which I think is a theme in this genre, and it didn’t necessarily take away from the story, I just tend to find no swearing or sex unrealistic in life.
I really enjoyed Siobhan’s character. I actually enjoyed all the characters. Carlene O’Connor did a great job of maintaining plenty of characters without it being overwhelming, and also while forming some sort of bond with each character. Often you don’t get to know a lot of the supporting characters, but I feel like I could easily describe any in this book.
3.5 stars from me!
What a pleasure to read another book in the Irish Village mystery series. It can be read as a stand alone but it's even better when read in order. Siobhan O'Sullivan comes from a large, close knit family and her life now is divided between the pub and her new position as Garda. She is a natural investigator, knowing what questions to ask that others never thought to ask. At the same time she is a young woman in love, a forbidden one because her lover is also her superior officer, Macdara Flannery.
The village of Kilbane is the site of opening rounds of the International Poker Tournament. There is a happy festival atmosphere in the air because, along with the Poker Tournament, the medieval village is also full of arts, crafts and music. The place to be, for many, is watching the poker games - a very big deal with a winning purse of a million euros. That equals $1,133,529 US dollars. The stakes are high and things take a dangerous turn when a player is accused of cheating. Known by his nickname The Octopus, his reputation is not just as a poker player. His hands handle more than playing cards. When he is found strung from the rafters of another local pub, in a locked room, the conclusion is suicide despite his reputation. The Garda are ready to close the case but Siobhan has questions leading her to call it murder. If she investigates she may just put her life on the line or at least put her (only three month old) job on the line.
I would so like to quote whole lines from this mystery, to read those parts aloud to others but I will refrain because I don't want to spoil anything for the other readers. This series is part cozy, part police procedural and full of humor, family, puzzles, red herrings - it has everything I love in a mystery. It's like visiting friends, a literary vacation I don't want to end. I'm looking forward to book #5.
My thanks to the publisher, Kensington and to NetGalley, for giving me an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
I finished Murder in an Irish Pub by Carlene O'Connor yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was surprised that I actually had this one figured out! I was pleased with myself as there were so many great plot twists and details in this wonderful cozy mystery and series. I love the main character Siobhan, a new Guarda (Irish Police Officer) and her family. A tiny Irish village overrun with excitement of a spring fair and a professional poker tournament, dealing with a surprising locked room death/murder. It was rather impressive how this one unfolded. I truly enjoyed the story and the ending blew me away. This is a must read cozy series especially if you love a good Irish tale.
I really enjoyed this cozy mystery I received via Netgalley. I thought the MC Siobhan was great, and really liked the mystery surrounding the death of the #1 rated poker player.
I love this series that mixes police procedural and cozy elements.
This was an enjoyable and entertaining reads.
The mystery was good and it kept me guessing till the end.
I loved to meet again the cast of characters and see what was going on.
I look forward to reading the next installment.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to Kensington Books and Netgalley for this ARC
Despite the cover, this is more a procedural than a cozy, but it's got strong cozy elements.  Siobhan O'Sullivan is a member of the Garda (Irish police).  Her family runs Naomi's Bistro in the small town of Kilbane.  They've got a poker tournament going but- eek- one of the big players- Eamon- is found hanging, in a locked room.  Siobhan, and Eamon's widow, both think this is murder even though Siobahn's love interest Macdara does not.  The investigation reveals more than who was cheating at cards.  The charm of this series lies in Siobhan's relationship with her siblings and others in town- this is not exception.  Don't worry if you haven't read the earlier books, this is fine as a standalone. Thanks to net galley for the ARC.
This cozy had some good twists and turns that kept me riveted. A lovely read for a very cold day.

—-

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I was not paid for this review.
Book four in the Irish Village Mystery series brings us back into the lives of Siobhán O' Sullivan, her brood and the other inhabitants of Kilbane.   The events take place in Kilbane during the International Poker Tournament and annual Arts and Music Festival.  A great backdrop which brought a lot of people into town, providing lots of space for the author to weave us a great story.

Siobhán is now a rookie garda (police officer).  After the Octopus dies, an entertaining mystery unfolds as she and her beau/superior officer, Macdara, try to figure out how and why the poker player died.  Was it suicide or murder?  There are many twists and turns in unraveling this question.

From the beginning of the poker tournament, where we are introduced to the top three poker players who have huge personalities, the drama never slows down.  So many good suspects with great motives - and - good reasons why the Octopus may have committed suicide.

As always, Siobhán and her brood were delightful.  They do not always see eye-to-eye but you can always sense the love and caring going on between them all.

I wasn't sure I would enjoy Siobhán as an official garda, but it was brilliant.  I thought the interplay between her, Macdara and the rest of the officers was well done.  It added another layer of believe-ability to their investigating for me as well as a new level of depth into her and Macdara's relationship.

This was a wonderful locked-room mystery that was very entertaining.  I read until late into the early morning and very reluctantly put it down with an hour left to go.  I couldn't wait to get up to finish it.

I received an advanced digital copy of Murder in an Irish Pub by Carlene O'Connor from NetGalley and Kensington Books in exchange for an honest review.
Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher.  A really good cosy mystery story.  Must be honest did not realise it was a series but it can be read as a standalone.