the mermaid's voice returns in this one

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Mar 2019

This third collection of poetry, and conclusion, to Amanda Lovelace's Women Are Some Kind of Magic series, did not disappoint.   I felt that this book was just as powerful as the first two in the series and I like the addition of guest poets.  It lent different voices to important topics in society and also proved the point that you are not alone.  I'm sad that this series is over.
i really love this series. they definitely are some of my favorite poetry collections. i first read the first one, the princess saves herself in this one, last year and i really loved it. it was this strong, empowering, feminist poetry collection that spoke to you. i really loved every bit of it. i do think my ranking of the books are like, the third one as my favorite, then the first one, then the second one as my least favorite. nevertheless, i love this series so much and i would 100% recommend it to anyone looking for a fierce, quick read!
3.5 stars (Rounded up to a 4)

I liked this better than The Witch Doesn't Burn In This One, but I'd consider The Princess Saves Herself In This One to be the strongest of the three books in this series. I appreciated the more personal aspect of this collection, similarly to how I appreciated that in the first book, but something about this just didn't feel quite right for me.

At times I was almost... bored? Especially during the last chapter with the guest poets. I'm glad that those poets got a chance to be featured and I'm not saying any of their poetry was bad, but I went into this for Amanda Lovelace's poetry not anyone else's. But even ignoring their poetry I felt the same. Only two of the poems in the collection really inspired any emotion in me, while the rest were split between being poems I enjoyed distantly and just being meh.
A wonderful conclusion to Women are Some Kind of Magic series by poetess Amanda Lovelace. Unlike the previous two books, The Princess Saves Herself In This One and The Witch Doesn't Burn In This One, the concluding book had poems from other poetess which was a lovely surprise and addition.

Enjoyed the three books a lot. Very poignant and contains truth in poetic verses.
“i write what i write to heal me.”

The Mermaid’s Voice Returns in This One is the conclusion to her Women Are Some Kind of Magic trilogy.

This collection is about surviving sexual assault. Poems are center on the #MeToo movement. Some poems are not powerful enough but it was comforting.

It was a good wrap up to finish the trilogy.

I received a copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Poetry isn’t something that I read an awful lot of and it’s definitely something I want to get into more. I’ve read the first two instalments in Amanda Lovelace’s Women Are Some Kind of Magic series and was incredibly excited about reading this powerful and inspiring third book.

Much like the previous books, the poems Lovelace creates are so emotional and raw. The poems are written in a very minimal way, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t pack a punch. So many of her poems have given me food for thought and I definitely felt the same with The Mermaid’s Voice Returns in This One.

While I did really enjoy this book, it did feel a little bit disconnected from the two I read previously. I didn’t connect with this one as much as I did The Witch Doesn’t Burn in This One and for me it didn’t feel as powerful. Though still a thought provoking and timely read, I definitely preferred the first two books in this trilogy.

It’s been fascinating to read Lovelace’s work as she has grown and honed her craft with each book, It was also interesting to read the guest poems from a variety of guest poets. Some of these I liked more than others and I think this might be part of the reason I didn’t love this book as much.

Overall the Women Are Some Kind of Magic series is a hauntingly beautiful and thought provoking series and The Mermaid’s Voice Returns in This One is an excellent addition. If you’re a fan of poetry or interesting in feminist writing, this is a must read. I for one am excited to see what Amanda Lovelace does next.
I read, and loved, amanda's first collection of poems, but I haven't yet read the second one. After reading this volume, I know that I need to go back and read them all together because they are amanda's story as she gains back the strength that was taken from her. Her writing is so powerful and I absolutely love the way she takes fairy tales and flips them on their end, giving the girls in the stories back the power that the traditional fairy tale has stripped away. Incredible poetry, absolutely incredible.
I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. These thoughts and feelings are my own.

This was another gelreat collection of poetry by Amanda Lovelace. I was so excited when someone told me her third book was available on Netgalley!

I love that the central theme in this book was hope and healing. Yes, terrible, horrific things happened, but there’s always a chance for healing. It’s such a great message that’s so pertinent today.

I did have a harder time connecting with this book, but I think that’s because the issues discussed have never happened to me. The poems were still beautifully written and I liked the inclusion of other poets. The subject matter did not take away from the book at all, even though it wasn’t something I had experienced.

This was another amazing book of poetry that empowers women to take back their lives after tragedies and gives them hope to be able to heal. I would definitely recommend this book, along with her others.
♥ "When I tell you i'm still waiting for my hogwarts letter, what I mean to say is i never meant to be here for so long" ♥
The reason why Lovelace's collections are so good and feel so comforting is because they are so relatable and so honest.
Even as someone that has never gone through an abusive relationship (at least not a romantic one) there is a lot of subjects that i really relate to and even the ones i don't are written in such a honest and brutal way that i still feel a lot.
It is a sad reality that most women can relate to Lovelace's experience but it is good to see that we aren't the only ones and to hear that it is okay to speak out and that everything will be okay
This book wasn't my favorite in this series but it was still a really good time and i would really recommend reading these.
I have some mixed feelings regarding this book.

First of all, there were some poems which I liked and were very relatable, but other than that, I did not enjoy Lovelace's style very much. Most of the collection feels too literal and I enjoy poetry that is more symbolic or contains more imagery than these poems.

In the third part of the book, I found myself enjoying the inserted poems more, which were written by other poets.
Moreover, the subject matter is really important and quite intense. However, there were very few mentions of mermaids, which was a bit disappointing as the title gives off the impression that it is the main image in the poetry collection.

I think the reason why I did not enjoy this very much is the expectations I had for this book.

If you have read Lovelace's preceding books in this series and liked them, then you will probably like this one as well.
This collection is the third and final installment in a series of poetry collections. Each one tells a story of the strength and resilience of women in a world that does not allow them the equality they deserve. Lovelace uses her own life experience and her personal story throughout the course of the collection. She truly weaves her words and themes together into a tale that is captivating and threaded with raw emotion. Out of the three collections, this one fell in the middle for me in terms of my enjoyment of it.

I absolutely adored the first one and felt such a deep connection to it. She primarily focused on her own life journey, which I found fascinating to read. In the second one, she strayed away from this and, while she did include personal stories, is felt much more general. It was a bit more difficult to connect to on a personal level. This one is a great blend of the two, mixing poems about her experiences with poems that give a broader look at women’s rights and their strength. In all three, she does a beautiful job of demonstrating these themes in a passionate and inspiring way. I really enjoy her work and I cannot wait to read more in the future.
Amanda's poetry is one of my faves ever, the way her words make me feel and the door they open, i just cannot put it into words, poetry is a different experience for everyone but I'm sure reading Amanda's poetry is a beautiful experience for everyone.
I have been a fan of Amanda Lovelace for many years now and she has not disappointed with the final installment in her Women Are Some Kind of Magic trilogy. I was yet again blown away by her poems and loved her inclusion of poems from many other female poets. I think that Lovelace has an amazing story and message to share with the world. I was yet again captivated by her work!
Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher from an honest review through NetGalley.

Trigger warnings (taken from the beginning of the book): child abuse, gun violence, intimate partner abuse, sexual assault, eating disorders, self-harm, suicide, alcohol, trauma, death, violence, fire, and possibly more.

As you can see I've rated this 3.5/5 stars. I've read all three of Amanda's poetry collections and, first off: I cannot get over how hard it had to of been to put these out, considering what they contain. I cannot say enough how much respect I have for that, and I felt weird giving this (and her others) a rating less then 5 stars for that.

However, I just didn't super connect to the text, her poetry style in general. Even the poems that I could personally relate to, I didn't feel it super hard? I'm not quite sure what didn't click with me, but all three volumes of poetry were a little just alright for me. Though, I did like the feminist undertones to everything, because we can't have enough of that.

Saying that, though, I did read all three volumes, and I requested this one on NetGalley, so there was something that was pushing me to keep reading.

I'd definitely recommend these, though if you don't think you can without triggering yourself, then please do not. If you can, though, I did enjoy this book, which also feels weird to say considering the content.

Anyway - I would definitely recommend you give them a try, I think the real reason I didn't click with this collection as much was because I enjoy my poetry to be slightly more... flowery I guess? Reviewing poetry is hard.  However, 3.5 isn't a bad rating, either, I enjoyed the collection and such.

If you you've read any of Amanda Lovelace's collections, let me know, and if you end up picking up this collection, or any others.
I received this as an E-ARC from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

My rating for this book is 3.5 (rounded to 4) out of 5 stars.

Having been a fan of Lovelace's previous books in the series, I was very excited for this one. The content of her writing is not an easy subject to talk about, and is intense at moments, but extremely relevant none the less. That being said, this one did resonate with me in the way the others did, but still allowed me to feel deep emotions and sadness for the stores she told. Amanda Lovelace does have immense talent in telling stories and giving readers hope for better times ahead. Overall, I would recommend this books to others and am grateful for the work that Amanda Lovelace produces.
I've read the previous installments in the Women Are Some Kind of Magic series and while I enjoyed them, they weren't favorites. Lovelace was definitely one of my favored voices in modern poetry and I was willing to give anything she put out a chance. This installment in the trilogy blew me away.

One thing I love about Lovelace's collections is that she always includes trigger warnings in the beginning.  This is so appreciated and valuable when it comes to the type of content being discussed. Her language is beautiful while the emotions and subject matter are very raw and real.  The way she phrases and formats her poems lend to the style and the expert use of language.

Perhaps it is my own experiences, but this collection just spoke to me.  The progression of the story felt like a real progression of healing and learning.  The guest poems from other poets perfectly melded into the collection.  While they were different voices being added in, they fit in and belonged there.  It was wonderful and heartbreaking at the same time.

I definitely recommend this collection for anyone who enjoys her writing or anyone looking for modern poetry that touches hard hitting and difficult subjects.
So sad.. I have tried many a hundred different ways but I just couldn't open the file that I received. I was so looking forward to reading this story.
I LOVE IT!!!! A bookworm like me can relate to a lot of poems.. The poetry collection is divided in four parts and the best thing is that poet has included some poems written by some other poet...

"When I tell you i'm still waiting for my Hogwarts letter, what I mean to say is I never meant to be here so long.
-forever wandering lost and wandless"

"Be
stronger
than the
villians.
be every
storybook
herione
come to life"

I am in love with these two poems
Beautiful, stunning, no words!

What an absolutely amazing ending to such a stunning series, this book made me feel so much!

Honestly I love this series so so much and cannot wait for what Amanda will write next. The third part of this book made my heart ache and multiple times throughout the book I got teary eyed. Beautiful!
In this third volume in her "Women Are Some Kind of Magic" poetry series, Amanda Lovelace revisits popular childhood tales with an adult's critical eye. She re-examines how these stories vilified or victimized the women in them, simultaneously telling the story of her own abuse. The poems are harrowing, and especially in the early parts, sometimes hard to read as the abuse takes its toll on the narrator's self-worth. But as the title of the collection proclaims, the mermaid's voice returns in this one, as the poems reconstruct those fairy tales to give their heroines the happily forever afters they deserve.  Guest poets fill out the collection, and the voices gives the book a welcome solidarity and hopefulness.