Haig's Coup

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 May 2019

I mistakenly anticipated this book would be written to a reader audience such as myself with a basic knowledge of the circumstances and events surrounding the Nixon administration.  I had only recently completed my reading of John Dean's book, Blind Ambition, which I felt did a very good job of painting a frightening picture of Nixon and his henchmen, so I thought I was well prepared for another perspective on the matter.  But I really struggled with Haig's Coup.  I felt the material was presented with very little organization or purpose.  I believe the intent was to describe chronologically the flow of events, yet there was little in the way of guidance by the author as to the what point is being made from paragraph to paragraph, or chapter to chapter.  To me, it seemed the writing could have used another round of editing.  Sadly, this one disappointed me.
Having read the books by Bernstein and Woodward many years ago I was intrigued by the summary of this biography of General Alexander M. Haig Jr including newly declassified documentation. I wasn't disappointed as this is a fascinating read, showing a different perspective on the Watergate crisis and subsequent fallout.

The twisting and turning tale shows Haig as a man only out to protect one person in the top echelons of American politics, namely himself and had no hesitation in sacrificing those who knew too much or had conceivably more power than him.

I was able to read an advanced copy of this book thanks to Netgalley and the publishers in exchange for an unbiased review and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the Watergate scandal or, more broadly, American 20th century history.
When Haig enters the scene all hell breaks loose and he's taking men down with him!
This was a heck of a read especially for someone who was just born at the time all this went down.
Ray Locker puts all the pieces together including the tapes and transcripts and behind the scenes actions to show just how crazy it was in the White House under Nixon's reign.
He was basically forced to resign or face impeachment and the Watergate Scandal continued to live on in history books.
So much has been written but many may not recall 'Haldeman and Ehrlichman had enforced the president’s will and protected him from his rivals and his worst instincts for four years.'
The play by play action in this is just incredible.
Thank you to Ray, the publisher, NetGalley, and aldiko for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.