The Accidental Veterinarian

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Jul 2019

I really enjoyed this collection of essays from an experienced veterinarian. While readers of Schott blog may be familiar with some or all of the stories here, those unfamiliar (like me) will find plenty of chuckles (and maybe a few tears) and some great insights into caring for their own pets as well as a better understanding of what your vet encounters on a daily basis. I was surprised to hear about the possible link between off-gassing from furnishings and carpets to hyperthyroidism is cats. That's something I'll have to ask my vets about next time I'm in. I was also shocked to hear that the suicide rate among vets is higher than average though the author's discussion of this makes sense. Some readers are disappointed that this isn't just a collection of fun pet-related stories, but I appreciated the author's candor, humor and insight about all things vet-related. And yes, please, if you're considering becoming a vet and don't like people much, do reconsider your choice.

Thank you to ECW Press and NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for my honest review.
This is an inside look at a vet's practice.  Mr. Schott writes of the changes in medicine and techniques over the years.  He explains that many of the animal diseases are similar to human diseases.  as the years go by, he gets more and more into high tech.  I learned that they did procedures on animals that I just recently had done to me (MRI).  It's amazing.

ECW Press and Net Galley let me read this book for review (thank you).  It has been published and you can get a copy now.

There are tales of the animals he met, mostly dogs and cats.  He found some dog owners wouldn't listen to him when he suggested getting a smaller dog next time.  But what caught my attention was when he discussed treating a full grown ostrich.  An animal like that could kill you.  What if it didn't like what the vet was doing?

He tells you about being bitten, about a dog that liked to eat rocks, and many more animal tales.  Being a vet isn't always a boring job...
Did not post review. Didn’t care for the book. Would rather more focus on patient stories than of the science of vets.
Philipp Schott DVM graduated from veterinary college in 1990 and currently practices in Winnipeg Manitoba. He has always had an interest in writing and started a veterinary blog. This book is a product of his interest and he was able to draw on essays and stories from his practice. You will laugh, cry and learn as you read about his experiences.
In this book you will also learn that more veterinarians come to grief through an inability to connect with people than by any failings in their surgical skills or medical knowledge. Vets sometimes find it hard enough just talking to the owners so its probably good animals cant talk. There are things we don’t consider as pet owners and/or take for granted about vets. After finishing this book you will be more aware.
I was stunned to read how dangerous Aflatoxin is for dogs. I too am guilty of thinking a product wouldn’t be allowed to be sold if it wasn’t safe unaware there is little or no regulation even in Australia.
As an Aussie it was interesting to read Australia’s buff ‘Bondi Vet’ was known to the author and that Philipp’s first work experience was with an Aussie vet living in Saskatoon.
This is an enjoyable and easy read with entertaining and humorous sketches making it perfect for animal lovers and/or who enjoy stories drawn from real life.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a free digital copy in return for an honest review.
For someone who stumbled into the profession via a process of elimination in a college catalog, I have to say that you seem to have found your calling and niche. I read vet books with an eye to whether or not I’d feel comfortable bringing my four legged children in and I’d definitely be calling your friendly front office staff to make an appointment. I promise that none of my cats bite my vets. It seems to me that being a vet is in some ways similar to being a pediatrician. You not only have your actual patients but also their parents to deal with too.

“Each happy day for an animal is a happy day. It’s that simple> We just want to string together as many of those happy days as we can.”

I like that you not only included how you got into veterinarian medicine but also (practical, no nonsense and honest) entries from your blog on a variety of vet subjects. The breadth of knowledge (even if it’s just an inch deep) that today’s general practice vets have is awe inspiring and my vets have come through for me – or rather my children – in ways I recognize in your book with diagnoses, surgeries – spay and neuter! – ultrasounds (yes), teeth cleaning, and have been there to help my children when old age and illnesses necessitate the “gut punch” decision. And I know that’s just as hard on vets as the owners.

People who can’t get a pill down a cat need to pay close attention to your technique because I can attest to its ease and success rate. Attack bunnies – who knew? The anecdote centered on fertility health in dogs was hilarious. I read the information on “rainbow colors of poo” with one eye closed but admit that it could be useful to know. Keeping in mind the burnout rate and high suicide statistics among vets (and kudos for not shying away from mentioning this tragic situation) and that pet owners can help make a difference, I will solemnly adhere to the ways to be kind to my vets. I’m also going to head to VetRatingz dot com to give them a star review. Then check out Veterinary Partner.vin dot com

The breakdown of why vet bills are so high is appreciated. Unfortunately, excellent medical care does cost but hey, when I come home to four furry beings who are delighted I’m home and who greet me with meows, head rubs and then provide their own soothing medical care to me in the form of reducing my stress with their purrs? Yeah, totally worth every penny. “What price can you put on health and love?” This, totally. And kudos for the call out to vet techs. I love the ones at my vet practice.

Thanks for “pulling the curtain back” and showing a bit of the behind the scenes of a busy vet practice. I really would have loved to hear your take on that lecture about “Hippopotamus Medicine Made Easy.” Perhaps during your next conference they’ll offer it again. But at least I know how to pill an ostrich now.

“…if you have not experienced a deep bond with an animal, then you are missing out on a key human experience, one shared by people from all walks of life, all backgrounds, all levels of intellect. It is one of the richest threads we weave.”

Pet owners do judge vets by their compassion and caring and you sir, sound as if you have this in spades. B+
This short and sweet collection of anecdotes by Philipp Schott will have any animal lover chuckling as they read about dogs who love nothing more than eating rocks or the guide dog who tried to fool his human by avoiding the vet, but is sure to bring a tear to their eye with his accounts of doing the hardest part of his job, putting an animal to sleep. I understand that the book is made up of a collection of his blog posts, so fans of his blog may find little new material here, but as someone unfamiliar with him, I really did enjoy his combination of humor, good storytelling and practical advice. I'd happily recommend this book to any animal lover or to any young person thinking of becoming a vet.
I read and reviewed an ARC courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher, all opinions are my own.
A collection of essays from he author's blogs that will delight animal lovers of all kinds.  Philipp Scott recalls his journey to become a veterinarian and many of the patients he treated over the years.  An enjoyable book that will keep you entertained.
While this was not filled with the kind of animal/Vet stories I was hoping for, it was packed with knowledge and wisdom from a seasoned Veterinarian.  Filled with advice on many different topics, it was much more of a behind the scenes look at a Veterinarian’s office.  Everyone that has a pet, no matter how educated about pet care, will be able to take away a new tidbit of information from this informative book.
Philip Schott’s slight book, The Accidental Veterinarian, is a collection of posts from his blog, Vetography. The posts are alternately biographical, advice about pets, and stories about clients and their pets (the best parts). I suspect that long time readers of Dr. Schott’s blog won’t find much new here. For readers who haven’t heard of or read the blog, The Accidental Veterinarian is a fun jaunt through the life of a vet.

Schott is Canadian, with a winning sense of humor, which shines throughout the book. More than once I wished that I lived in Winnipeg*, so that I could take my boys to Dr. Schott. The early sections of the book contain Schott’s origin story. Unlike many vets, I suspect, Schott didn’t grow up in a house full of animals. He only had a pet gerbil after months of begging when he was a boy and a cat that wandered in from the cold when he was a teenager. He fell into veterinary medicine after following his father’s advice to choose a practical major in college. Thirty years on, Schott seems to have found lasting joy in his profession even though veterinarians suffer from high rates of emotional burnout.

I asked to review The Accidental Veterinarian because I wanted to read stories about animals, the funnier and more heartwarming the better. I have fond memories of reading All Creatures Great and Small, by James Herriot, as a teenager. There weren’t as many stories as I had hoped. In fact, many of the stories here are launching points for advice about how to care for one’s pets (especially dogs) or when to call the vet. That said, there are some good stories about dogs who can’t stop eating things that are bad for them and pets who have names too innocent for their aggressive natures.

Readers who want pet stories would probably be better off reading the blog. Readers who are thinking about becoming vets, however, should pick this book up. In addition to the advice about taking care of our furry friends, Schott also has a lot of advice about how to be a good veterinarian. There are no illusions in The Accidental Veterinarian. Schott is clear that the life of a veterinarian is full of emotional highs and lows, and a lot of work. The highs, he says, make up for a lot of the lows. His best advice is that being a veterinarian is as much about the humans as it is about the pets. Veterinarians have to work with the people who are scared for their pets or who don’t understand the costs of having a pet or who just don’t know what’s involved in having a pet.

Spay and neuter your pets, folks, and don’t forget to get them vaccinated!
This is a collection of essays from Veterinarian Phillip Schott. It's full of funny and mostly happy little stories from his considerably long career. Like many out there, I enjoy reading about cute fluffy animals. While not quite James Herriot, Schott provides these fun stories and also offers little nuggets of advice for pet owners. Relatively short, but enjoyable read. Thank you to NetGalley for providing an ARC for review.
I did not enjoy this book. It just did not hold my interest. Thanks to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for the arc of this book in return for my honest review. Receiving the book in this manner had no bearing on my review.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book!

I always love Vet stories and anecdotes, and this book was no exception. If anything, it was too short and I would have preferred to get more of a background on Philipp and his experiences. he writes that no one would want that, especially of his college days, but that was exactly what I wanted! But the quality of what was there was good, and enjoyed it. It was well written and funny at times, as well as serious. I learned some things too, which I hadn't previously realized about vets/procedures.

If you're looking for a modern vet book, give this one a try. Four stars.
I just didn't find it amusing or captivating.  Maybe the Canadian influence is too different?  I thought it would be a little warm and fuzzy.  Couldn't finish it
I really love books like this and find them interesting. They offer such a a unique insight to other professions and what day to day life might be like for people like me who always wonders what it must be like to be a vet.

This is a great book and you will need tissues at the ready as a few story's will probably bring a tear or two, its both entertaining and interesting and i highly recommended this book to anyone and even more so to a person wanting to become a vet it wont disappoint.
A pleasant interlude of a book for those of us who love our animals and rely on the vets who care for them.  Canadian vet Phillipp Schott’s calm voice, practical point of view, and gentle humor is so like the vets I’ve known through many years and wonderful pets - hermit crabs (funny little fragile things) to horses (funny big fragile things) and variously-sized dear things in between.  Dr. Schott raises our awareness of the challenges unique to veterinary practices, clinics encompassing nearly the entirety of medicine in one hectic place, and he includes practical and interesting tips for neophytes and the seasoned as well:  when to call a vet, what to expect, advice on fleas and ticks, what chocolate actually does to dogs, “natural” food, supportive wisdom on end-of-life eventualities.

Good stuff, and, of course, plenty of the anecdotes we all enjoy so much.  Petit Choux, the pet rabbit of a French Canadian client, heard by the receptionist as Petty Chew.  The interesting observation/opinion that U.S. clients complain less about veterinary costs than Canadians do because, perhaps, they are aware of the cost of medicine for human beings.  Hmmmm.  And the child who wrote the good doctor about his ambition to be a “vat”.  Dr. Schott muses that he too once dreamed of becoming a “large container”, but decided to become a vet instead.  Glad he did.

Set for release on April 23 from ECW Press.

Full Disclosure:  A review copy of this book was provided to me by ECW Press via NetGalley.  I would like to thank the publisher and the author for providing me this opportunity.  All opinions expressed herein are my own.
A feel good and tissue worthy book on a vet and the animals he cares for in his practice..Schott is a compassionate vet and superb storyteller.
I like to read about vet life and I liked this book.
It was well written, full of stories and details.
A very good book that was both engaging and entertaining.
Recommended!
many thanks to ECW Press and Netgalley for this ARC
I like reading books about animals and that's why this one caught my eye.

Dr. Schott is a veterinarian in Winnipeg, MB.  He has advanced training in diagnostic ultrasound and for the last fifteen years has had the largest ultrasound referral practice in Manitoba.  His other special interests in practice are cardiology, oncology and internal medicine. He has also been the chair of the provincial Peer Review Committee (professional discipline) for a number of years.  Dr. Schott was named Manitoba Veterinarian of the Year in 2009 and was presented the Award of Merit by the Manitoba Veterinary Medical Association in 2015.

After reading all his qualifications, you would think that the writing in this book would be stilted and super professional.  Actually it was quite the opposite ... I enjoyed his writing style as it was amusing and casual.  As a head's up, there are a couple swear words (rhymes with "it").  When he did get technical (like discussing urine or diarrhea, for example), he gave a head's up and tried to make it as interesting and fun as possible.

The chapters are:

* The making of a veterinarian
* The art of veterinary medicine
* The science of veterinary medicine
* Peculiar tales from veterinary practice

The book tells of his family moving to Canada from Germany when he was quite young.  He didn't really have pets growing up but that didn't stop his interest in them.  The book is full of stories of his experiences, some sad, most funny, of being a vet and treating cats and dogs and even a duck and a hare.  He also describes the serious side of being a vet .... why people think vet bills are too high, the high rate of suicides among vets, euthanasia of pets, why vets don't call you back right away, etc.  It was entertaining to read the stories about the animals he's helped but it was also interesting to get the scoop on what it's like to be a vet.

Dr. Schott lists one of his interests as brewing beer ... I think he would be a fun guy to sit and have a few beer with.
Thank you to NetGalley for an advance copy of The Accidental Veterinarian. As the author is at pains to say "All Creatures Great and Small" by James Herriot is the master of tales from the vet's life and with this publication it remains so. I had hoped for more tales from behind the surgery door but there is a huge chunk in the middle explaining the pitfalls and trials of being in this profession. There are many chapters explaining diagnosis - the colour of this particular sample = this conclusion etc etc and Philipp goes on and on. I eventually skipped all the jargon including the varied diets and  "why visiting a vet costs this much " chapters and found only a few at the beginning and end of the volume that fulfilled my quest for humorous tails (sorry tales). Sorry but I won't be re-reading this one again ! OK but not great.
This was a charming collection of essays by a practicing veterinarian, that tells a variety of stories from his own path to becoming a veterinarian to the experiences he has with the patients (and their owners) in his daily practice.  He draws a comparison with James Herriot early on in his book, so I will acknowledge that Dr. Schott does not have the same ability to create the sense of character that Herriot brings so richly to life in his books.  And yet, there is the same sense that you have when reading Herriot that the practice of veterinary medicine is as much about dealing with people as it is about treating their animals (as Schott himself asserts more than once).  He also does a great job of helping the reader better understand the actual practice of veterinary medicine in the present day.

This was a quick and enjoyable book and I would love to read more of his stories.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for providing me with an advanced reading copy.