Cover Image: The Scent of Death

The Scent of Death

What a good story.  The plot is gripping right from the start and the action moves along at a fairly cracking pace.  The phrase "couldn't put it down" is a cliché but in this case it was true because I just kept on reading until I finished the book.  Highly recommended.
The scent of death is a clever character-driven thriller written by Simon Beckett. It is a fast-paced drama with just amount of forensic information that is interesting and brings the story to life without swamping the reader with too many unpronounceable words or boring details.

The story follows our main protagonist David Hunter who I found to be a very likeable and relatable character. He has a detailed and heartbreaking backstory that gave him great depth as a character.

I must admit that this is my first outing with this author but it will most certainly not be my last. I pan to go back to the beginning and read all the books that preceded those in this series and his stand-alone books.

I found The Scent of death to be well-written and a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Recommended!!
I had previously read three books in this series some years ago and was delighted to become reacquainted with Dr. David Hunter. A derelict hospital is due to be demolished when a mummified body is discovered in an old loft. David Hunter, a forensic anthropologist is brought in to find the answers that a dead body can disclose to an expert. As the body begins to reveal its secrets an accident occurs and leads to events that open the inquiry up to a whole new level and a murder investigation begins. Liaising with detectives Ward and Whelan, Hunter’s eye for detail begins to produce more questions than answers and the hunt for the murderer is most certainly not straightforward. With a wonderful insight into the complexities of forensic science and with twists aplenty, the story slowly develops to a final devastating crescendo. A clever story but with hints that shouted their truth to me, I felt this wasn’t quite as good as some of the earlier books in the series and I felt that David had become more arrogant. That said, I did enjoy the story and wouldn’t hesitate reading another by this very thorough author.
I was given a copy of The Scent of Death by  NetGalley for review purposes. This is the first time I have read any of Simon Beckett's novels and, whilst I enjoyed the book on the whole I did find the slow burn of the story a bit too slow at times. Overall it's a well written, well crafted thriller but I found David Hunter a bit too angst ridden for my liking.
Thanks to NetGalley and Random House UK, Transworld Publishers for allowing me to review an advance copy of this book.

'Only desperation would bring anyone here now.'

A mummified body is found in a derelict hospital and Dr Hunter is brought in to help solve the mystery.
Soon, what seems a straightforward investigation becomes anything but and there are plenty twists and turns to keep you guessing.

This book is part of the Dr David Hunter series but I haven't read any of them before so wasn't familiar with the main characters. However, I still enjoyed the book and found the plot very well researched and interesting. It is a bit gruesome in parts but the title should be enough of a giveaway!

The story is well paced and definitely keeps you on your toes. The descriptions are good and you get a real sense of the eerie, deserted feeling around the old hospital.

I didn't really warm to any of the characters but still enjoyed the story. I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed it more if I'd read the other books in the series.
A decomposed body is found in the loft of an old hospital and whilst looking for evidence 2 more bodies are found strapped to beds in a sealed off room .Is there a link between these bodies ,who are they and why were they killed? David Hunter is on the case and meets an elderly woman wandering near the hospital and he tries to help her . She has a disabled son at home who is bedbound ., but all is not as it seems . There are many twists in the plot of this story and a number of red herrings . A good read .
I remember, many moons ago, reading The Chemistry of Death and Written in Bone and thoroughly enjoying them and have always had Simon Beckett on my radar as an author to pick up but alas I seem to have been side-tracked by the sheer plethora of excellent books out there so have sadly missed out on the other books in this series but on starting to read this, it was like putting on a comfy pair of slippers and snuggling down on the sofa (or, in my case whilst on holiday, in front of a swimming pool in the Portuguese sun) and losing a few hours amongst the pages of this gripping book.

The blurb gives an outline of what the story is about so I won't repeat it but what I will say is that it's as good, if not better, as it sounds.  The setting is perfect and provides an additional layer of atmosphere and general creepiness and tension to this excellent book.  The characters are well developed and believable; the details of the forensic side is not over done or too technical that you either get lost or lose interest and the plot development and twists means this is one book that I found hard to put down (cliché I know, but true).

I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this book to lovers of fast-paced thrillers from a different perspective than the usual police-procedurals and don't be put off that this is the 6th in the series as it can be read and enjoyed as a standalone.

My thanks go to the Publisher via NetGalley for accepting my request for a copy in return for an honest and unbiased review; you have helped to remind me of how good Simon Beckett's work is.
I loved this book, the plot is interesting, the set up well done, the scenario described are, almost, plausible.
The book is well written, based on what, to me, appears to be a well researched subject. The frustrations experienced by the investigators within the story are certainly believable.
the characters are well written and individually plausible playing on may emotions and feelngs we all experience  in some elements of the characters the tings they describe and feel are within us all, love, hate, regret, frustration-they are all there all well intertwined within the story.
The story itself-simple set up which swiftly becomes complex and multi faceted. The twists are introduced, the red herrings all believable within the overall story. For anyone like me who enjoys crime fiction, especially crime fiction with both forensic and procedural twists it is a compelling read, I struggled to put the book down , it kept me awake well into the night.
I'm glad I chose to read it whilst on a sunny holiday,the book is dark!
I am now very keen to read other works by Simon Beckett and hope I enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed this on.
Thanks to Netgalley and Random House for the chance to read this book for my honest review.
It is the first time I have met David Hunter but  I can't wait for more encounters with him. The Scent of Death drew you in with all the smells of a wet London and a decaying hospital. The descriptions were so good you could believe that you were there which is what a good book should do. It was a little slow to start but once it gets going things happen one after the other fairly quickly but the last few chapters still manage to surprise you bringing an end to more  than one of David's relationships.
Look forward to reading what David does next.
Good tale, I've not read any of this series before but I definitely will after this one.

engaging characters and a solid police procedural.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and found the finale to be a surprisingly good twist to the tale. Definitely recommended to those readers who enjoy reading this type of book.
Dr David Hunter's seems to be getting his life back on track.  He's back working with the police and although his girlfriend is off to Greece as a Marine Biologist for three months, their relationship is good.  You just know that there'll be a but, if not there wouldn't be a story.  It's a good story too, well told and entertaining - in a grim sort of way.

Loved it.

I received a free advance review copy from Netgalley.  This review is voluntary, honest and my own opinion.
My thanks to NetGalley and publisher Random House UK, Transworld Publishers, for the ARC.
What an absolutely fascinating and engaging read.  The writing is excellent; the characters are really believable; the atmosphere created is chillingly menacing - couldn't put it down!  This is the 6th book in the series but easily read as a standalone as the author cleverly weaves-in pertinent threads from past to present.

St Jude's Infirmary has started to be demolished.  The hospital's most recent use has been as a shelter for the homeless and a dealing den for addicts.  There's lots of controversy over its redevelopment as office space because its locality is in an area of high deprivation in London where new homes are thought be a priority.  A Bat Preservation Society has halted the progress of demolition (bats being a protected species), not least of all because their inspection of the old infirmary's loft space has led to the discovery of a mummified body up there.

Dr David Hunter is a forensic anthropologist.  He abandons his dinner with girlfriend Rachel when he's called to St Jude's on a Sunday evening by DCI Sharon Ward following the discovery.  During their deliberations in the loft part of the structure collapses, opening up a hidden ward of 3 beds..............2 of which are occupied by mummified bodies!

Running the gauntlet of an unstable demolition contractor on the verge of bankruptcy; a private forensic contractor engaged to examine the pair of bodies in the ward, and a vocal activist against the redevelopment, Dr Hunter is determined to find answers.
St Jude's has more gruesome and shocking secrets yet to be revealed.
And what an ending! - didn't expect that at all!

Thoroughly recommended.
During the demolition of a hospital a mummified body is found in the loft ,could it be a homeless person sheltering from the outside world ?

When several more are found after a ceiling collapse the police alongside Dr David Hunter must identify and discover why.

A very complex investigation but can the dead speak and tell their story

Not read any of this series before but after reading this one i will certainly be catching up
What an enthralling book this was - not only was the plot fast and absorbing but the descriptions were in-depth and fascinating. The characters were well portrayed and although the 6th in a series the book read well as a stand alone. It was only afterwards I realised I had read the first book in the series some time ago - I will definitely be reading more by this author - intelligent writing and informative too.
Many thanks to Netgalley/Simon Beckett/Random House UK for a digital copy of this title. All opinions expressed are my own.
Oh gosh where do I start, firstly by saying a huge thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for the eCopy of this book.  Simon Beckett is one of my favorite authors so I was thrilled.

I like books about forensic science and I love the character David Hunter having read all of the previous books.  This case is not straightforward and trying to find out who the victims are and the method used to kill is interesting.  The book explains things in understandable terms so I was fascinated by it.

I had a feeling the police may have known who the killer was earlier in the book but then I kept changing my mind.  To say I was shocked was an understatement.

I would suggest anyone who likes this genre of books reads this is is absolutely excellent.  Bring on the next one
Review also published on Amazon Stowv55
Thrilling dark read. Very descriptive and compelling. Is this the end of Grace....... ? Perfect long haul read as the story has so many twists and turns you just have to read on to prove you are right or  wrong again!
This is the sixth book in Simon Beckett’s 'Dr David Hunter' series and it was the first one from the series for me.  I was very interested in the forensic detail of the story and equally so in Dr Hunter’s personal life as the backstory had its own part to play. I loved this thriller as a standalone and felt no need to have read all about Dr Hunter in the previous books to enjoy this one.

The Scent of Death was a fabulously atmospheric tale that held plenty of surprises and more than a few twists.

In this novel, Simon Beckett constructed an incredibly gripping and intelligent plot with many different threads. The short chapters aided a quickly delivered story that kept me totally engaged, at the same time building up the suspense and tension. The protagonist, Dr David Hunter, was curious and compassionate and an expert in his field. This was a  thoroughly entertaining read and the quality of the storytelling was awesome. Highly recommended.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel at my own request from the publisher via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
This is book 6 in the David Hunter series. I haven’t read any of the others but I don’t feel like I suffered. I may go back and check out the rest of the series though.

I found this one a bit of a slow starter and the chapters jumped around a bit. Once I got used to it though and the story got going I was soon sucked in. David Hunter is a forensic anthropologist and I found the characters extremely well written. Simon Beckett covers the science without making it over complicated or tedious. It also kept me guessing. Every time I thought I knew who it was it turned out I was wrong. If you love to see the sciencey side of crime books then definitely check this one out.

Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review
The work of a Forensic Scientist is absolutely fascinating. The attention to detail runs throughout this story. St Jude’s a derelict hospital holds a lot of secrets. Dr David Hunter must check through the bones to put back together the lives of the murdered people. There are plenty of twists and turns to make your heart beat faster. This thriller will really keep you on the edge of your seat.
I was given an ARC of this book by Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.