Innovation for the Fatigued

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Mar 2019

I thought that this book was super interesting and informative. I think the author really knows what he's talking about. My only problem with it is, I feel like it could've been about half the length that it was and still gotten the point across. A lot of it just felt really repetitive to me. But other than that, I definitely recommend it if you really want to learn more about innovation!
When I hear the word "Innovation" I feel the need to start shouting and run for the hill as it's an abused term and it usually means that something will soon me complicated and not user friendly.
This book helped to make peace with the term as it's full of common sense and interesting ideas.
I think it's one of the best I read about this topic.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to Kogan Page and Netgalley for this ARC

How many presentations on innovation have there recently been? Thousands? Millions? We are experiencing 'innovation fatigue': we feel cheated by the endless rounds of consultants who come into our organizations, deliver conceptual models that don't stick with the realities of business and then leave again. Companies and teams are left feeling more deflated than before, and with not one idea that's impacted the bottom line. Innovation for the Fatigued argues it is worth fighting for the concept and study of innovation in organizations.

Business leaders are always looking over their shoulders for the next Uber moment to overtake them, and they recognize that innovation needs to be a top priority. But how does one innovate? This book is the antidote to the empty promises that pervade the innovation industry. By designing a company culture that nurtures ideas, but also defends against incrementalism and fads, we can rediscover the powerful basics of imagination, empathy, play and courage, which are all instrumental in delivering real impactful innovation.

Innovation for the Fatigued will detail where companies have gotten innovation wrong, whilst celebrating and studying the ones that lead the way. With unique, relatable and varied examples, renowned innovation and creativity professor Alf Rehn provides a practical model for getting innovation back on track and instilling change at speed with real concern for market demands.

I have been to a million meetings - I have been to millions of meetings ABOUT meetings. And so many of those were about innovation and what it entails. and how it can affect everyone, even under the social services umbrella I am working under.

This book has some excellent ideas and one can make a million notes as I did - I already ordered it for our library and several other people in the organization. It is really well written and presented and Mr Rehn did an excellent job researching and then writing it -- great job!!! People HATE change ... this is a great way to get people on track in meetings and in life via INNOVATION and CREATIVITY.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with 5 stars as I love emojis (outside of Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it  🧀🐭🧀🐭🧀   Why   🧀🐭    ?   Well, because the book reminded me of "Who Moved my Cheese" in how coping with change is huge for people AND corporations/businesses/social service providers. AND because of my love for  🧀 🧀 🧀 🧀 🧀!!!