The Jesus Who Surprises

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

"The Jesus Who Surprises" is a Bible study that explores the Old Testament for references to or foreshadowings of Jesus. The author pondered what things Jesus would've talked about with the two disciples on the road to Emmaus. She started this study with Genesis and then moved into the Psalms (and poetic books) and then the prophetic books. Each chapter started with her talking about a place in the Old Testament that points to Jesus. She'd connect it into New Testament references and then into a Christian living application. She used examples from her life to illustrate her points. For example, she looked at the child of promise given to Sarah versus the child that Hagar bore. She tied this into following religious rules versus having a personal relationship with Christ.

She followed this commentary with five days worth of Bible study on that topic, which can be done individually or in a group. She mainly had you look up verses and asked reading comprehension and personal questions. There were also online videos that can be watched as a part of this study. Overall, I'd recommend this Bible study.
There is nothing more exciting than seeing how Jesus showed up in the Old Testament. I've done two other Dee Brestin studies and she is very thorough. You can't skim through these books. I'm only into the first chapter but looking forward to another great study.
#TheJesusWhoSurprises#NetGalley
Review By: ILoveToRead/Librarian

An excellent spiritual guide for the Christian seeking a closer relationship with Christ. After each chapter a helpful questionnaire appears encouraging the reader to look in depth at Bibical truths.
I highly recommend this book.