Finding Mrs. Ford

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Aug 2019

A beautifully writtwn domestic drama, sure to tug on your heartstrings and make you appreciate your relationships more . Will definitely read more book by this author.
This novel was slow moving for me.  It didn't grab me as so many of the other novels in this genre have.  I might have to give it a try at another time but for now, not a favorite of mine.
Mrs. Ford leads a privileged life. From her Blenheim spaniels to her cottage on the coast of Watch Hill, Rhode Island, she carefully curates her world. Hair in place, house in place, life in place, Susan Ford keeps it under control.

Early one morning in the summer of 2014, the past pays a call to collect. The FBI arrives to question her about a man from Iraq—a Chaldean Christian from Mosul—where ISIS has just seized control. Sammy Fakhouri, they say, is his name and they have taken him into custody, picked up on his way to her house.

Back in the summer of 1979, on the outskirts of a declining Detroit, college coed Susan meets charismatic and reckless Annie. They are an unlikely pair of friends but they each see something in the other—something they’d like to possess. Studious Susan is a moth to the flame that is Annie. Yet, it is dazzling Annie who senses that Susan will be the one who makes it out of Detroit.

Together, the girls navigate the minefields of a down-market disco where they work their summer jobs. It’s a world filled with pretty girls and powerful men, some of whom—like Sammy Fakhouri—happen to be Iraqi Chaldeans.

What happened in that summer of 1979 when Susan and Annie met? Why is Sammy looking for Susan all these years later? And why is Mrs. Ford lying?

FInding Mrs. FOrd was a very slow read. I put it down a few times. Being from R.I. She got the area corrects. Just seemed to be a been there, done that.
Thank you, NetGalley for the advance copy for review.
On a sunny summer morning by the sea in New England, Susan Ford’s cocoon of privilege is threatened when an Iraqi man from her distant past boards a plane in Baghdad to come find her.

The book focuses on the current time (2014) with flashes back to the Summer of 1979, on the outskirts of declining Detroit where college coed Susan meets reckless and charismatic Annie. An unlikely duo, but their friendship will change both of their lives forever. Slowly, the reader is taken on a journey to unravel Mrs Ford's past as her present life begins to crumble.

The book really kept your interest, and was great all the way through. Vivid visual imagery that totally transports the reader from the serenity of an elite seaside town on the picturesque East Coast to a late 70's era Detroit suburban disco, where the characters you meet entice you to go on a compelling and unexpected journey!  Deborah Goodrich Royce is a clever writer with a keen sense of how to captivate, with cryptic clues, knowable characters and engaging dialogue. Anybody who ever explored the club scene of the late 20th century will be in for a fabulous flashback! Get this book and enjoy the ride!
This book was well written.  A great story of college age women and what they encounter and grow up to be.  Corruption and the good lif are in their lives.  Characters that are not as graphic as in The Godfather but take me back to reading it.
I found this book very interesting about the life of Mrs Ford from Watch Hill in America. The storyline moved between 1979 and 2014 from when Susan was 17 and the summer before she goes to College and afterwards when she is a widow in prestigious Watch Hill.
It is a fascinating story and easy to read.
Highly recommended.
This book was interesting and quite unlike anything I’ve read before. It’s told through present time (2014 - Rhode Island) and the past (summer 1979 - Detroit) and takes us on a journey full of friendship, lies and secrets. I did find it quite dull at times but ultimately found myself wanting to know more about Susan Ford and how she became the woman she is. Great, considering it’s a debut.
Sorry I didn't engage with this one and couldn't get past the first chapter.  I just didn't like the writing style.
A true page turner! Plot twists galore! My only recommendation would have been a little better character development on fring characters. They were almost non-existent enough that the book could have continued without them? This is my first book by this author but definitely will not be my last! If you enjoy books like “The Last Mrs Parrish” or “Big Little Lies” this is the book for you!
Oh Mrs Ford! I loved this book. It had me engaged and interested right from the beginning, the characters were all well developed & I felt like I really knew some of them along the way. I liked the way it went from the story line in the seventies to preset day. My heart breaks for both Susan and Annie for what they’ve gone through. I was disappointed in Jack Jnr, thought he would have had more substance, I think his father would have been disappointed in him too.
Overall a very good read, will be recommending when it’s released.
Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Finding Mrs. Ford by Deborah Goodrich Royce is a thriller, alternating between 1970’s Detroit (think sex, drugs and gangsterism) and present-day Rhode Island (the subdued, wealthy, upper-class hidden away from the rest of us).

The premise of the book is interesting, and I was looking forward to the fast-paced writing filling the pages with twists and turns. I was disappointed. It is an easy, quick to read novel, but it fell short of what I expected from Ms. Royce. I saw the major twist coming. Even so, I could have enjoyed it if the Chaldean story was more seriously incorporated into the book, and the characters better developed. Ms. Royce seemed to write with such control that she let nothing go. I experienced no passion in the pages and felt no affinity for any of the characters. It felt hollow. She scratched the surface of so many themes (friendship, sacrifice, loss, war) and I just wish she had explored at least one of them intimately.

I’d recommend it for a quick, light, almost predictable read but if you’re looking for a novel that leaves you with something when the last page is read, this is not it.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and found it difficult to put down as the story was so intriguing. A must read for those looking for a different slant to their usual choice of books.
A tidy little mystery that begins when the title character's past comes back to put everything she's found and lost and found again in jeopardy, Mrs. Ford is full of surprises, even for the keenest reader . The wealthy enclave of Watch Hill, Rhode Island, is the well-evoked setting, but much of the long-ago action takes place in Detroit in this solidly paced thriller that takes the popular convention of the unreliable female narrator and turns it on its head..
I couldn't get into this and had to give up. It was very drawn out and dull, not at all engaging. Needs to hook readers earlier on and it just doesn't

We meet Mrs Ford in her carefully curated life - Blenheim Spaniels, Watch Hill Cottage in Rhode Island, close community, not a hair out of place... Mrs Ford has everything under control. Until the FBI arrive at her front door...

This is Deborah Goodrich Royce's first novel as her career has largely been focused on acting and screenwriting. Perhaps her expertise in the area of screenwriting contributes greatly to the gritty feel of this book and the overwhelming feeling that it would make a fantastic movie on the big screen. For a debut, this was strong and entertaining enough to keep the momentum going throughout. Self control and calculating precision combine as the characters lives and lies are exposed.
Thank you to net galley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read this book it was a great experience for me first time reading this authors books  Definite favorite. The book really kept your interest, and was great all the way through. Highly recommend this book.
Such a good book!  Susan Ford is a wealthy old-money widow living a peaceful existence in Watch Hill, Rode Island when her past comes calling.  A Iraqi man named Sammy Fakhouri has been captured by the FBI while traveling to see Susan - and the FBI wants to know why.  FINDING MRS. FORD does a wonderful job of revisiting Susan and her friend Annie's summer of '79 and showing us how Susan has becomes the person she is today.  Goodrich Royce does a good job of making us contemplate how our impulses and judgments as young adults, though misguided, are necessary for us to truly evolve into the grown-ups we need to be.

Thanks to author, publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free, it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.