Goodbye, School

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Change can be challenging for children of all ages. This is especially true when they are moving away, leaving school and friends behind, or have a friend who is moving away. Goodbye, School offers an example of an emotionally healthy way for a child to acknowledge the difficulty of that change and move on.

As a child, we moved a lot, and every time, at every age, it was painful. I remember every single move, starting in kindergarten, and not in a positive way. If my parents had a book like this, maybe those transitions would have been smoother, maybe the moves wouldn’t have left scars.

While the story itself would be helpful to young children, I think the section in the back, directed to the parents, would be even more so. It has wonderful advice, from an expert in psychology, on ways in which this type of experience can be made easier for kids. Honestly, the last two pages are just as critical as the example provided in the story, and I love that this type of advice is being made so accessible.

A great book for families who are making a move or for children who have a friend who is moving away.
How cute is the cover to this book?
 I loved every bit of it. It is such a colorful book full of the important message of how to deal with your childs feelings and honoring them.
It is hard to leave and go to a new school, as a kid it was a constant source of anxiety that was brushed under the rug. I loved that this book had little tidbits that would help a child.
I loved this thoughtful, beautifully illustrated children's book! It's about a little girl named Franny facing a change with her school and having to say good-bye to a place filled with memories and friends. This book was wonderful, and also had pages at the end for the adults helping a child face change and losing something they love in a positive way.
Goodbye, School is the perfect book for any child experiencing a transition. Moving, changing schools, or even a household change, the book will open up discussion between parents and children's about goodbyes and change. Many books I read about moving, include parents dismissing their child's fears or sadness. Lippert embraces the difficult feelings of change and guides children to name their feelings in a healthy and positive way. Another bonus is at the end of the book there is a note to parents and teachers on how to help children transition through changes, big and small.
I like the illustrations and they were easy to understand. This would be a good book for a child who is going through a transition or is leaving somewhere cherished. It teaches children how to cope with the feelings involved in leaving and how to say goodbye and get the closure that THEY need to be able to comfortably move on.
I received an electronic ARC from Magination Press through NetGalley.
Transitions and changes are exciting and scary. Lippert takes readers through a young girl (Franny) saying goodbye to her classroom. She astutely does not offer the reason for the goodbye so readers can relate to their own situations.
Franny moves around the room enjoying memories and then figures out a way to make the transition work for her. She leaves clovers everywhere to offer comfort and support to new people using the room and supplies.
Excellent resource when a child moves, is stressed about leaving the familiar and moving up a grade, feels frightened by changes in the room, and so many other situations.
Lippert includes excellent information about supporting children through transitions and changes for adults at the end of the book.
Goodbye, School by Tonya K. Lippert

This was a lovely story about Franny. Franny is leaving her much loved school and takes the time to say goodbye. This is a wonderful book that shows children what they feel is important and their feelings count.  Children will be able to cope with change when they take the time to say goodbye and find closure.

The illustrations in this book are beautiful.

I would like to thank NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Wow, what a wonderful book! There seem to be so many books about starting a new school but I haven't read a book that acknowledged saying goodbye to an old one. Our kids started at a new school this past school year, and while was a good change, it was bittersweet in many ways.

I love the idea of having a special way of saying goodbye that also acknowledges the important memories and parts of the school that made up so much of the child's everyday life. This had a simple yet beautiful message about a transition that happens to so many kids and the illustrations were gorgeously done.

Thank you to NetGalley and Magination Press for a copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
Oh, wow. This book is a topic that I don't believe I've ever seen a children's book address: saying goodbye to a school. Many books address moving to new schools and transitioning to new neighborhoods and new homes, but few honor the goodbye to the old. This is an excellent addition to any elementary library or classroom library, and  would be a perfect gift for a student moving away. In Goodbye, School, the main character says goodbye to her school, as she's soon moving away. In this simple text with gentle illustrations, little Franny takes a walk down  young memory lane to note how her school experiences are important to remember. As her mother waits, Franny visits meaningful spots and finds a way to give a nod to her friends after she's gone. I LOVE this little story! A definite addition for my elementary library.
I was first drawn to this beautiful picture book by the title, subject matter, and of course the utterly adorable illustrations with multicultural characters.

School has ended, and everyone has gone home, except for the teachers. Franny will begin attending a new school, so it is time for her to say goodbye to this school she has loved. She walks up the steps, through the building, to her classroom which was empty except for her teacher.

She thinks fondly of all the special memories she has of the school and her friends. Looking out the window, she sees the  favorite tree that she and her friend Katie liked to sit beneath and look for four-leaf clovers. That gave Franny an idea. She ran outside and sure enough, she found a four leaf clover under the tree. Taking the four-leaf clover back to her classroom, she began to work on her creative going away idea.

With construction paper, she cut out many four-leaf clovers and decorated the whole classroom with them.
 🍀 🍀 🍀 🍀 🍀 🍀 🍀 🍀
 She stood back to admire the effect with a smile. She then told her teacher goodbye with a hug.

Outdoors, she hugged her tree friend goodbye, telling the tree to be a friend to the other schoolchildren.

Clutching her lucky four-leaf clover 🍀 in her hand, along with the special friendship bracelet she was once given, she found her Mom who had been waiting for her patiently, and told her she was ready to go.

Franny’s mind was full of happy memories of the past that she would always carry with her, along with the excitement she felt for the new school in her future.

At the end of the book, there are some tips for helping your child honor his or her feelings and connections, and tips to help facilitate a smooth transition to a new school.

A big thank you to:
#Magination Press, #American Psychological Association
through #NetGalley.
I received a digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.
This was really cute and the art was lovely. I also appreciated the diversity in the characters! My branch doesn't have many books on children moving and how it can be hard, so I like the space this book chose to fill. My only complaint is that it felt like there should have been another page or two at the beginning explaining why she was leaving more, as I think a curious child might have a hard time focusing on the rest of the book until they learn why she's sad.
Sweet little story about a little girl saying goodbye to all of her favorite things at school before moving on to a new one.  The story didn't seem to have the most steady flow but I still plan to share with my little one when she moves on to Kindergarten in the fall.
What a beautiful and thoughtful book! The illustrations were cute and amazing. They each complimented the story beautifully. This is an absolute must-have for your child's library.
A picture book about a young girl saying goodbye to her school. Some kids grieve better than others and this is the bases of this book.
Goodbye, School is the perfect book for young children who are preparing to transition to a new school.  Franny is at her school one last time. She reflects on her passed experiences and even leaves a goodbye gift for her classmates. I highly recommend this book. The illustrations and story are wonderful. There is even a reader’s note at the end for parents.
Franny is about to leave her beloved school for the last time and she has to say goodbye.  This sweetly illustrated book shows how Franny takes in her last time at school and the ways she is able to say that last goodbye. This is a great book to help a child making a transition from something they have been accustomed to.  For instance if the child is moving up to a new school, moving away to a new location, and things of that nature.
Goodbye School by Tonya Lippert, PhD.

There are plenty of books out there that show children that starting a new school can be an exciting and fun experience, but I’ve yet to come across one that discusses how it can feel to leave a school.  On Franny’s last day of school, she is trying to say goodbye to her classroom but is overcome with memories.  Franny’s love for her classroom and friends allow her to remember the good memories and give her the ability to say goodbye to her old school.  The Reader’s Note at the end of the book provided important and concrete ways to discuss the topic of transition with your child after reading the story.
Clear and simple language paired with beautiful illustrations make for a wonderful reading experience.
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to read and review this title.  All opinions are my own.
On the last day of school, a young girl has to decide how exactly she is going to say goodbye to a place and the people she has come to love so much. She recalls precious memories and discovers a way to say goodbye that is unique to her and her feelings. This would be a perfect last day of school book or to give to those leaving the school.
This book tells of a little girl saying good-bye to her school and friends.  The book doesn't specifically say whether the little girl is moving schools because she has gotten older of if she is saying good-bye because she is moving away.  This book is good for either situation, giving and showing ways to say good-bye to something that has become familiar.  At the back of the book are suggestions for parents, teachers, and care givers to help the children in their care who may be going through these different types of changes.
If you know a child that is having to move and change schools this is a book you need to share with them.  Franny is saying goodbye to all the things she loved and remembered about her school.  This book shows small children how they too can say goodbye to people and places that they love.  There is a very helpful reader's note at the back of the book for the adults in the child's life to help them use this book.