Cover Image: Going Dutch

Going Dutch

Well, this story is...??? Going Dutch is deliberately infuriating on an epic level. Richard is the main character, and he's just a dolt. He's a grad student in NYC with a paper due so he can get paid, but he's got writer's block. Plus, his love life is in the toilet. He's gay and can't find a good man. Meanwhile, everyone else around him are happily dating, working, succeeding, etc. Money is no problem for them, yet Richard is broke. He's not as pitiful as he seems, though. The woe is me yarn he's spinning is starting to unravel. He's not moving forward in life because that's the choice he has made. Richard feeds off of pity and sympathy and whining. Not making a choice is what he's chosen. A woman enters his life and saves him, theoretically speaking. She has money and spends on him. She helps him with writers block by writing it herself. She desperately needs his attention. Then a man enters Richard's life via a dating app. He's successful and interested. Basically, Richard uses these two people in any way he can to get as much as possible from them. It's a love triangle kind of thing, and it's not clear if Richard is gay or bisexual. I despise this character. He's a self centered millennial with no morals. The writing is eloquent and lyrical. It's so nicely done. I just wish it were in a different story. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.

Exhausted by dead-end forays in the gay dating scene, surrounded constantly by friends but deeply lonely in New York City, and drifting into academic abyss, twenty-something graduate student Richard has plenty of sources of anxiety. But at the forefront is his crippling writer’s block, which threatens daily to derail his graduate funding and leave Richard poor, directionless, and desperately single.

Enter Anne: his brilliant classmate who offers to “help” Richard write his papers in exchange for his company, despite Richard’s fairly obvious sexual orientation. Still, he needs her help, and it doesn’t hurt that Anne has folded Richard into her abundant lifestyle. What begins as an initially transactional relationship blooms gradually into something more complex.

But then a one-swipe-stand with an attractive, successful lawyer named Blake becomes serious, and Richard suddenly finds himself unable to detach from Anne, entangled in her web of privilege, brilliance, and, oddly, her unabashed acceptance of Richard’s flaws. As the two relationships reach points of serious commitment, Richard soon finds himself on a romantic and existential collision course—one that brings about surprising revelations.

Going Dutch is an incisive portrait of relationships in an age of digital romantic abundance, but it’s also a heartfelt and humorous exploration of love and sexuality, and a poignant meditation on the things emotionally ravenous people seek from and do to each other. James Gregor announces himself with levity and a fresh, exciting voice in his debut.

Oh, Richard  - you are, well, a j@ck@$$. And a snowflake millennial. And I really didn't care at the end of you found love. When the main character is as whiny and entitled as Richard is, well, you don't want to read the book or not finish it. I certainly didn't --- a quick skim and done.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give the snowflake 😭

p.s. - if you look at the cover from a few feet away, then men at the table look like a female's reproductive system - there is a womb, fallopian tubes and ovaries.  Funny that they are on an M-M romance novel cover!
Thank you NetGalley for an ARC in exchange of an honest review.

I had a very hard time trying to finish this book. Richard comes off as a selfish, pretentious, ungrateful, whiny, needy person who has no problem using people to his own benefits. This can be a very good premise for an interesting novel. However, Going Dutch just feels as shallow and pretentious as Richard is.