Sorcery of Thorns

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Jun 2019

Sorcery of Thorns is one of those books to which I would be immediately drawn: it is about magical books, the setting takes place in buildings that are mysterious and are pretty much libraries, and there is a system of magic that is unique and different.  While I am not a huge fan of YA literature, I truly did enjoy this novel from beginning to end, and was somewhat disappointed to learn this was a standalone as I became quite involved in the lives of the main characters and would love to read more about their adventures.  But it is what it is.

First of all, I thought Elisabeth was a great character and really enjoyed her personality.  She was tough, but not mean, going after what she wanted, but still thought about others and their needs.  She has grown up in a library and has always wanted to be a warden, someone who protects the kingdom from the power of books if they are provoqued into transforming into monsters that could destroy entire towns or villages.  Some of the books are very much alive and could do some very bad things, which is quite an interesting concept in this book.  When an attack one night goes badly, Elisabeth is sent away, under the protection of Nathanial Thorn and his demon Silas, and a host of new adventures happen to this trio who eventually work together to discover what is actually happening at the libraries and what was behind the attack that sent Elisabeth away.  Silas is by far my favourite character in this novel and I love how the author developed his personality as she explained the bond between Nathanial and Silas and how the magic system worked.  Nathanial is part of an old magical family who pass down their demons from one generation to the next which helps keep the bond between the family and the demon intact.  Having a demon loose upon the world would not be a good thing for the people.  And the author gives the reader a good glimpse as to the chaos that could arise if such a thing were to happen.  Anyhow, the characters were complex, interesting, sarcastic, fascinating, and intriguing, and I was invested in all of them but for different reasons.

The plot was extremely fast which didn't really bother me too much except that you didn't really get to absorb a scene before you were thrust right into the next one.  Right from the beginning Elisabeth is defending her library against an evil book monster and someone who betrays them, and is then sent away to prove her innocence and is thrust right into some major conflicts in the city so the action just keeps right on going.  The author does a great job explaining the magic system as well as the people involved so there is little confusion as to who is who and what is what. I think the only issue I really had was the lack of world-building. I really felt there should have, and could have, been more details given about the world as they were a bit disjointed and murky which is why when the plot slowed down towards the middle, it also seemed a bit disjointed and murky. Luckily, there were only a couple spots where this happened and the plot and flow picked up rather nicely again. I began to root for Nathanial and Elisabeth right away, but not necessarily as a romantic couple, just as friends as she desperately needed someone on her side who believed in her and who believed that something terrible was happening.  I thought all of the twists and turns worked out rather well, and I liked how the author faced the dark pasts of the characters without flinching and allowed them to explore their feelings and what they were dealing with on their own terms, some of which I don't think is quite fully resolved, leading me a very faint hope there may yet be a sequel to this book.

Sorcery of Thorns was a well-written book about two people who needed to help each other discover what they could truly be and who they really are.  I enjoyed the twists and turns and thought the action was a lot of fun. The idea of magical books and libraries was interesting and I liked how the author treated the books.  (I was actually getting sentimental over a book sacrificing itself towards the end.) I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves books (!!) and a fun tale involving a boy, a girl, and my favourite demon, Silas.  To the author, please, please, please write a sequel!!
This book was an automatic approval for work (I work at a bookstore). I had a hard time reading this book as much as I wanted to love it... and then I realized it was because I was reading it on eBook format. As soon as I picked up a hardcover of the book, it was a lot easier to enjoy.

The main chapter was interesting, she loved books and learning, some of it took place in a library, there are demons... what more could a girl ask for? 😂
Where do I begin to formulate my thoughts about Sorcery of Thorns? This book was everything I wanted and more. It definitely lives up to the hype surrounding it, and it might be my favourite book of the year. If I could sum up this book in the shortest way possible it is truly chef kiss worthy.

Rogerson crafted such an enchanting and rich world that I am hungering for more from it. A world with books that have souls, spirits, books that are thriving with life? Sign me up. I want to know why the grimoires are created. Is every single book a grimoire? Who was the first to create one? There are so many questions but it’s okay that these ones are unanswered, as Rogerson leaves more to be desired – despite the claim this will be a standalone novel.

The characters are also complex and real – there’s no flatness here. I think Silas was my favourite character – the strange dichotomy between him being a literal demon and a familial figure for Nathanial was so well done and interesting. He’s also a bit sassy which adds even more to his character. I also loved Nathanial and the journey he went on emotionally during the story. He was so used to relying solely on Silas he refused to let anyone else in plus that slow burn romance was just…so well done. The development of his relationship with Elisabeth is so natural and real that it didn’t even feel like a book sometimes. Plus he’s bisexual so we love a queer king!!

Elisabeth is also such a strong character. Her connection to the grimoires and the libraries added such depth to her traits and her character. It also contributes to her flaws and how she handles conflict. By the end of the book we really see her develop into a stronger version of herself after Elisabeth overcomes so many hurdles and obstacles that push her down and label her as an outcast or failure.

The world-building is so immersive I want to move in immediately. Reading it I pictured Austermeer like Scotland it was so atmospheric. I have no idea if Rogerson was inspired by any particular area of the world but I was able to relate it a place I loved. Being able to relate and immersive yourself in the world of a book is important, but especially in fantasy novels. Rogerson’s world really adds to my love for this book. Her execution of the world is like the ice cream to the cake.

The plot itself was good. The antagonist wasn’t surprising but I think that’s because Rogerson sets it up well. I also thought it was important that she focused more on Nathaniel’s family and the plot surrounding his and Elisabeth’s relation with necromancy. If she had just focused solely on the antagonist plot it would have felt a bit more cliche or stale. But her balance between the two works well for the whole book.
Margaret Rogerson did it again. As with her debut, An Enchantment of Ravens, Margaret has once again fashioned a dark and whimsical world worthy of being its own fairy tale. A world of sentient books possessed by demonic hands, and warrior librarians meant to keep them bound in chains. The main character, Elisabeth, is a delight as the narrator., but it was her eventual companions, Nathaniel and Silas, that absolutely stole the show, seemingly plucked from a page in Howl's Moving Castle. The story, while a little slow for me around the middle mark, both opened and closed in a masterful rush. Margaret's work will eternally grace my bookshelves.
Really good. Enters a new world and realm with fantastic characters and an exciting plot line. A world where all sorcerers are evil, and hold wicked powers to transform things into monsters and leather, you’ll be laughing at this hysterical right and find yourself living amongst them.
What more could a book lover ask for than a fantasy novel about a magical library filled with books that come alive? Following Elisabeth and Nathaniel on their quest to reveal the plot of an evil sorcerer against the magical libraries and the demons they hide was an epic ride from start to finish. From the first few pages, it was astounding how quickly you could get enveloped by the rich, atmospheric descriptions of the setting and the magic system that Rogerson has created among the libraries. Not only this but while there are many secrets hidden among the world, this fantastical world is easily understandable, yet complex in its unique way. Furthermore, the author uses this world to comment on the state of our own, making clever commentary about the workings of powerful people in society and how their ways of thinking and methods of deception impact the public.
More than anything, however, the characterization of Silas is what got me the most. While Elisabeth definitely undergoes a solid character arc with positive growth throughout the novel as she learns more about her past, I love how Silas' character stays stagnant yet aware. In other words, from the beginning, we know that he's evil at his core and he's aware and communicative about this side of him that is unable to be changed. This said, Rogerson does an incredible job at humanizing his character and making you feel for him throughout the novel in the way that he cares for both Elisabeth and Nathaniel.
Ultimately, I would definitely recommend this to anybody who enjoys an effective fantastical analysis of good vs evil and an immersive magic system that captivates you from the first chapter.
Author: Margaret Rogerson
Rating: 5/5
Format: Ebook
How I got it: Netgalley
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Would I recommend: Yes 100% to everyone

Overview: Elisabeth Scrivener was orphaned as a child, left to be raised within a library, but not just any library. The Great Library in Summershall is just like any library in the kingdom of Austermeer, with a couple of minor differences. The Great Libraries contains magical grimoires that whisper and rattle from their home within the shelves if provoked or damaged in any way they turn into what is known as a Malefict. Elisabeth hopes to one day become a warden to protect the Great Library and her kingdom from their power when your plans are interrupted by an act of sabotage. Elisabeth is forced to team up with the most unlikely of people in an attempt to clear her name.

Likes:
I love how the books in the story communicate with Elisabeth, they may not be able to physically speak but they can open themselves to specific entries to help the reader understand what they may need to. The connection Elisabeth has with the library and the books within is one that most book lovers feel they also have. Although in the story, the books can't come right out and speak every book lover feels as though books speak to them in their own way. I loved the comparison of Elisabeth and a booklouse, she is the human booklouse.
I was really intrigued by the magic system developed in this book, magic didn't come to a sorcerer with the slight movement on hand, it took time and focus to create even just a single spell.
Even though he is a demon, Silas was my favorite character, he never tried to hide who he was from Elisabeth, always told her how dangerous he could be. Then at the same time, he saves her from the men in the dirty ally and convinces Nathanial that he needs to help her in her journey. Oh, and the emotions though, have him die, to be brought back, to be released and fight his evil nature to die again.
I had a thought in the back of my mind about whether after a grimoire changes into Malefict, can it be changed back, the other grimoires we have heard about or seen changed were killed and the information within the book was lost forever, I was pleasantly surprised to see this question answered within the book.
Nathanial challenged Ashcroft to a duel rather than giving Elisabeth over to him. Oh, how I ship Nathanial and Elisabeth.

Dislikes:

Why would a child be dropped off at a library and not an orphanage and why would the warden at the Great Library not report the child as abandoned.
I was a little frustrated that after everything Elisabeth had already been through and it still being very early in the story everyone was so quick to accept her innocence. Don't get me wrong I didn't want her to be found guilty, but to have her proven innocent with a little picture in the paper after a fight with the fiends seemed a little too simple for me.
I found it weird that no one at the Royal Library seemed to know who she was, she was making headlines not long before this. Parsifal came out and explained that he knew who she was and questioned her,  he also sorta came up with his own reason she was in the library.
Ashcroft is the worst, not only taking in Elisabeth, being so accommodating then trying to take advantage of her memories. He also gets his hands on Silas, uses mind control on Nathanial and tries to make a trade with Nathanial, Silas for Elisabeth.
We also learn that Ashcroft had been controlling the directors in order to get the maleficts needed for his plan.

That is just a few things, there is so much more to this book. I am really hoping there is more to come, the end really seemed like a cliff hanger.

Sheila Marie :)
If you ever dreamed of visiting the Hogwarts library and seeing books like the Monster Book of Monsters then this is the book for you!  Full of dangerous books, witty exchanges and romantic moments, Sorcery of Thorns delivers a fun adventure in a world I found fascinating.  A stand alone novel (almost unheard of in the genre!) that I will likely revisit one day.  This made my book nerd self very very happy.
Elisabeth is a child of the library. She has spent her days surrounded by books; the bad ones. The ones that rattle against their chains and demand to be set loose. Finally an apprentice, Elisabeth looks forward to the day she will become a warden, protecting the library and guarding it as well. When she wakes in the middle of the night unexpectedly to find the Director dead and one of the grimoires released from its chains and ready to wreck havoc, Elisabeth makes a decision that propels her into a world of magic and demons, of sorcery and ancient plots.

Elisabeth’s story hooked me from the beginning and pulled me into a world of vivid magic. I could smell the old books and feel the vastness of the ancient library shelves. Between the writing style and the story’s depth, I felt myself wanting to reach for a paintbrush to take down the images that sprouted from my imagination through this book. The plot was fast paced and constantly changing, taking me in to a new part of the world and the adventure. Structurally, I really enjoyed the way that everything built together and the way the demons and old families left a feeling that you already knew these characters, that the reader was a part of the community gossip and privy to all those secrets.

The characters were fantastic. There were three main characters: Elisabeth, Nathaniel, and Silas. Each felt like their own person with their own story and not merely revolving around the protagonists journey. Elisabeth felt a little clueless at first, which made sense in a worldly nature but not in the common-sense portion, but you really feel her grow as a character throughout her story arc. She was strong and vulnerable, making her feel real and worth rooting for. Nathaniel had some excellent lines and felt very Howl from Howl’s Moving Castle to me. I would have liked to see more of him because it felt like his story had so much depth that never really got the spotlight. Silas was by far the most interesting character. He was a fancy grandmother/butler figure, a doting best friend, and the scariest monster in your nightmares all wrapped up in one. His story existed so beneath the surface, adding to the mystery of who he was and making the reader fall in love with him and fear him in the way that Elisabeth and Nathaniel had. Each character had their own arc and seeing the snippets through this book felt like you knew them enough to be enticed but not so much as to take away from the main story line.

Overall, Sorcery of Thorns is every fantasy book lovers dream, blending a love of the fantastical world with the love that exists within the power of books. Elisabeth grew up with books as her friends and many of us can relate. This is a story I will think about, one that will vividly stick in my mind… at least until I can get to a piece of paper to draw it.
I enjoyed Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson much more than her first book. I felt it was more complete and the world was better explained. I absolutely loved all the characters (Silas ❤️) and their evolution. There were some longer chapters but otherwise it was full of action and not centered around romance. Great book! I loved the ending. Thank you NetGalley for the free ebook in exchange of an honest review.
There is a reason this book is on the top recommended YA lists! This book was incredible. The writing was fluid and quick, and the descriptions were extraordinary. And hello - it was set in a library! Need I say more? Elisabeth was such a relatable character and the friendships and even romance, were the perfect edition. 10/10 recommend.
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

4.5/5 Stars ♥

I went into Sorcery of Thorns knowing essentially nothing about the book, and I ended up really enjoying it. Sorcery of Thorns is a YA fantasy standalone novel that follows Elisabeth Scrivener, a young woman raised in a library who gets framed for a crime and finds herself having to team up with a sorcerer to stop an evil plot.

I really liked all the characters in this book. Elisabeth frustrated me a bit at first, but I really warmed up to her. Nathaniel, the love interest (who is also a sorcerer), didn’t appeal to me too much at first but I grew to like him. I didn’t care about the romance in this book, however, I rarely care about romance in books (and the plot was strong enough on its own to keep me engaged) so it didn’t really bother me. My favourite character was definitely Silas, Nathaniel’s demon servant. His character was so interesting to me and I love him so much.

The magic system was really cool! Libraries in this world aren’t normal, the books are magical and some almost seem alive. Librarians are tasked with basically guarding these books. The way sorcery worked was also super interesting to me, I really liked the idea of the demon servants that each sorcerer has to draw their magic from.

I did find the world building kind of weak and it did take me some time to warm up to the two main characters, which I why I took away half a star from my rating. I also didn’t like how so many people called this an enemies to lovers romance when it definitely wasn’t, but that’s not really an issue with the book itself. Otherwise, it was a solid read and I would highly recommend it, especially for someone who wants a good YA fantasy without having to commit to an entire series.
4 stars

*I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

I really enjoyed this book. The magic was very interesting and I thought the fantasy world was well executed and explained.

My favourite character by far was Silas. He was such an intriguing character and I just wanted to spend the whole book with him instead of the main characters.

I liked the main character Elizabeth well enough, but I do feel like too much of her arc was centuries on her relationship with Nathaniel, which I was disappointed by. I felt that their relationship wasn’t developed as well as I’d have liked and they went from hate to love a bit too quickly for my taste, with no real reason to it.

That said, I really enjoyed the plot and where it went. Overall I enjoyed this book a lot.
Dear book: it's not you, it's me.
I wanted so badly to love this: from the gorgeous cover to the enchanting world and lyrical writing, I feel like I should have fallen in love. Instead, I found myself more on the ambivalent side; I liked Sorcery of Thorns well enough, but I didn't find it particularly memorable. I just wasn't able to get into this book like I wanted to, and no one is more disappointed than me.

It isn't something I can pinpoint, one of the reasons why I wasn't super invested in this book is that I felt really distant from all of the characters. Characters are the backbone of a story for me; in Sorcery of Thorns, I liked them, but I didn't connect with them like I wanted to. The writing made me feel more distant from either Nathaniel or Elisabeth than I had hoped for - oh, the world around them is described beautifully, but I didn't feel like I was immersed in the characters.

Elisabeth was still a wonderful heroine, though: book-smart and physically badass. I found Nathaniel to be, in many ways, a fairly typical love interest with a troubled past, but I could relate to him more than most love interests because, hello, bisexual disaster. I'm really glad to see a bisexual love interest in a historical-based fantasy, anyways, because it's something I rarely see in books. Both of them have PTSD: Nathaniel from childhood, and Elisabeth develops it over the course of the story. For a society that has no words for post-traumatic stress, it was written and communicated fairly well. Special mention also goes to Silas, Nathaniel's demon servant, who - despite being a literal demon with, apparently, no feelings - manages to be one of the most charming and heartwarming characters in the entire book.

The romance between Elisabeth and Nathaniel was cute as well. This is, to my knowledge, one of the few books where the female main character is actually taller than the love interest, which I found super adorable? I'm always here for HEIGHT DIFFERENCE, folks. They also have an element of slow burn enemies to lovers, which is certainly something to take note of - personally, I thought that it wasn't enemies enough, just mild discontent with each other, which isn't quite the amount of vitriol from each side to be entertaining for me.

I liked the world a lot: in many ways it's your standard fantasy world, yes, but the grimoires were so magical and enchanting. If anything, the aesthetic of this book was completely on point, because it was so atmospheric. Margaret Rogerson's writing is beautiful and lush, with vivid descriptions of her world, inspired by Victorian England. I certainly went into this book expecting another generic medieval fantasy setting, so a more modern setting was a pleasant surprise - it's always nice when fantasy is taking out of a generic medieval setting.

However, the main reason for my disengagement with Sorcery of Thorns is the pacing, which I found to be somewhat inconsistent. There were times where it was slow for far too long, which had me reaching for other things to do rather than read. It definitely picked up towards the end, but there quite a few moments that fell flat for me. It also frustrated me because I saw where the main villain, Ashcroft, was going far before Elisabeth and Nathaniel figured it out. That slowed down the book a lot for me, honestly. And there a couple of times I felt the emotional impact of the plot didn't land as well as it should because of the magic system.

I'd definitely recommend reading Sorcery of Thorns despite the fact I wasn't as into it as I'd hyped it up to be. I think I may go back and reread it and see if I like it when I'm in a less hectic headspace - but it's definitely a very whimsical, magical fantasy with two intriguing main characters.

I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this book, but in no way whatsoever did that influence my opinion in the end!

This book begins with Elisabeth, an apprentice to one of the many great libraries in the kingdom of Austermeer. One night, a grimoire being held in her library turns into a Malefict, a magical bookish monster hell-bent on destruction. When Elisabeth saves the day, she's blamed for causing the situation in the first place. Being whisked away to the city, she then undergoes a quest to find the true reason behind her sabotage.

Sorcery of Thorns brings together magic in Sorcerers, Demons, and magical books while remaining a sort of cozy, warm, fall vibe read.

The story itself felt like I read it before, thus the reason for the 3/5 stars. I did really enjoy the story, but it was very much the usual plot fantasy novels face, in which a character is sent on a quest to clear their name, and they fall in love and save the day. I wanted a bit more.

But to say that, there are some redeeming factors, the character Silas is interesting, the world itself is pleasant, and the main character is one of the few tall girls you see playing a protagonist role in fiction.

The love in the novel felt obvious from the get-go, and there was no slowburn or a whole lot of want for the characters to be involved together. I was happy that they were, but it felt super meh.

So do I recommend it? Sure. It's a light, easy read, for a rainy day sort of book.
I loved reading this book so much! I knew I was going to because there's libraries that are important, libraries that have books that can eat peoples hands. This world of sorcerers and magical grimoires and demons, yeah, it was so interesting to read about!

What I didn't expect for was for this book to be pretty hilarious. From more background bits like books eating peoples hands being common place, to Nathaniel and all his quips, this book was an unexpected font of hilarity!

Elizabeth was pretty bad ass. I guess I should've expected it from the cover having her hold a sword, but I guess I'm just so used to the guys being the ones using the weapons. Sure, Nathaniel had magic, but Elizabeth was the one with the sword and yeah, I really enjoyed that dynamic!

I kind thought the whole bit where she was thought to be working with the bad guys was going to last longer, so I didn't expect the direction that this book went! There was almost a bit of a historical spy air to the middle portion of this book where she's investigating the bad guy's plan and how to stop it was was really fun to read!

Elizabeth was a child of the Library, and yeah, that turned out to be incredibly useful! With Nathaniel's magic and Silas, they were a pretty significant powerhouse group, and I enjoyed how the final confrontation went, it was so unexpected and creative and amazing to read! Such a wonderful ending!

Loved this book so much, and I wouldn't mind another book set in this world!
I loved that this fantasy story was set in libraries. These libraries weren’t like the ones in our world. They were full of grimoires that could do things, such as speak. However, they could also turn into “maleficts” which were dangerous creatures. It made the library a potentially terrifying place.

I was glad that this story is a standalone. So many fantasy books turn into long series, so it is nice to have the complete story in one book.

I didn’t feel as much of a connection to Elisabeth as I wished I did. If her origins were described, I could have related to her more. All that we know is that she was an orphan and didn’t know who her parents were. I think her mysterious parentage could have created a great plot twist. There was an interesting relationship between a sorcerer and a demon, which was great to read. They became more like family than master and servant.

This was a great fantasy story!

Thank you Simon and Schuster Canada for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is a whimsical tale full of wonderful prose set in a fascinating world where magical books are at the center.

“I knew you talked to books. I just didn’t realize they listened.”

Elisabeth is a true child of the library. She grew up in a great library surrounded by books. She’s an apprentice and wants to be a Warden, a person who protects the books.

In this fantasy world, books or grimoires come alive and can be dangerous creatures. One night there’s an attack on the library and a very important grimoire escapes. Elisabeth tries to defend the library but ends up caught in the crossfire and written off as the only suspect. She’s forced to travel with a Sorcerer named Nathaniel Thorn and his demon companion/butler of sorts, Silas. In this world demons give their powers to sorcerers, but at a price.

Elisabeth is trying to prove that she’s innocent and comes across a conspiracy theory about what’s going on in the libraries. Secrets unfold and evil lurking. Elisabeth and Nathaniel have to work together in an attempt to defeat it. They're both such strong characters on their own and match together perfectly.

There’s also a slow burn romance that’s satisfying to see unfold.

I would have liked to know more about Katrien. She was an intriguing character and it would have been neat to see more of her story explored.

I know this is a standalone but I would happily read more stories set in this historical fantasy world.

This was one of my most anticipated releases of the year and it was worth it.

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley, however; I didn’t have a chance to read it before the publication date and purchased my own copy.
Whimsical, magical, bringing books to life on the pages in a way that, dangerous and forbidden, makes the reader want to explore even further into the story.
I thought Elisabeth was brave and selfless, but having been raised in one of the great libraries with very little experience with the outside world, she starts off the story sheltered. The keepers of the libraries strongly believe that all magic is evil so thats all shes knows. As she gets to know the sorcerer Nathaniel and his demon servant Silas during their efforts to stop the attacks on the magical libraries she starts to question those beliefs. She even starts to question whether becoming a warden charged with protecting the libraries is truly what she wants. We really get to see some great character development. I do think her skills with a sword werent very believable for someone who's never trained, but I guess she does have other advantages helping her out. The whole booklice comparison was pretty funny. I just loved her connection and empathy for the grimoires.

I loved the slow burn romance. The way Nathaniel would call Elisabeth a menace was adorable. There was a lot of great chemistry and tension between them. Nathaniel has been through so much and as a result has cut himself off from almost everyone which makes me want to protect him at all cost. His demon servant Silas is the only person who's always been there for him. He's been taking care of Nathaniel since his lost his family at young age and thats brought them closer together. I absolutely adored their unconventional friendship. Silas is such a complexe character with his century old wisdom and insatiable hunger. The way he's upfront about what he is was refreshing and heartbreaking all at once. We also spend a bit of time with Elisabeths spunky best friend Katrien and I loved how she wasnt just there to support the main character but had her own thing going on. I do wish we had gotten to know Mercy better since she seemed like a fascinating character.

The world with its magical libraries and grimoires turned monster was fascinating. Sorcerers get their powers by summoning a demon and having it agree to serve them in exchange for the a certain amount of the sorcerers life. The demon can only obey one master at a time, but its never really explained if the ability to use magic is given to the entire family or if each member has to summon their own demons if they want magic. That would be difficult considering they need a demons true name to summon them and those arent easy to come by. Id love to know what happens to the demon when their master dies since technically they would be set free but it seems like they probably vanish to the otherworld. Its also not explained why some sorcerers have abilities like commanding an army of the dead, but others do not. Despite all that I still loved the concept.

The plot was a little slow when the characters was sitting around researching and waiting for the villain to make their next move, but it was realistic and it did give us time to get to know the characters. I loved how the villain actually thought they were being the hero. Those are some of my favorite villains. I do find it frustrating when a character waits too long to make a move and the enemy gets the chance to out maneuver them. I also had a difficult time wrapping my head around Warden Finchs actions, but I guess his jealousy blinded him to the truth. I noticed the time line was a little off. I think we went through 3 seasons in about 12 weeks. I was torn with the way things left off because I love a happy ending, but they arent always realistic. Overall I adored this book and totally recommend it. Now Im even more excited to read her other book Enchantment of Ravens.