There's Something about Sweetie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 May 2019

Sweetie is one of my new favorite characters. She's strong minded, confident, courageous, smart and won't let anything pull her down.  Sandhya has this thing in her characters that makes me fall in love with all of them, and her stories are always super cute and fun to read. What I liked the most about this one is the chemistry both characters have from the beginning and how they complement each other and are teaching and learning new things together.  I loved the arranged dating prompt Sandhya uses and I think I might never get tired of it.
My apologies for not reviewing this book. I was unable to download it before the archive date. I would in the future really like to read it
Such a sweet and charming book! I’d not read anything else by Sandhya Menon, but had heard great things so I was really happy to get this copy. This funny and adorable YA book is a must read for fans of romantic comedies, regardless of your age.
I love Ashish and Sweetie so much! Sandhya writes amazing, raw and relatable characters. This book fights fat shaming and embraces family cultures.
There's Something About Sweetie was such an incredible book! I absolutely adored it and I couldn't get enough. This rarely happens, but I loved this book so much more than the first (When Dimple Met Rishi).

Sweetie Nair is a track star and a killer singer. Sweetie is surrounded by amazing friends at school who love her just as much as she does. Unfortunately she is constantly reminded at home that she is fat, and in order to be a better track star and have more friends and even a potential boyfriend, she needs to lose weight. Her mother, who is a tiny woman, makes sweetie run laps before dinner and constantly reminds her how much better she would be if she lost a little weight. So when Ashish Patel's mother asks Sweetie's mom if she could set up their children, Sweetie is absolutely thrilled someone like Ashish wants to date her, but her mother thinks that shes not good enough for Ashish, not until she loses the weight.
Ashish is heartbroken after finding out that Celia, the first girl Ashish has ever loved, has not only dumped him, but shes also moved on and found someone else. Ashish is so sad that he can't even focus during his basketball games, and is bringing those around him down as well. When Ashish decides to make a deal with his parents that if they try to set him up like they did his brother Rishi, and he truly doesn't like the girl they pick, they can't judge Ashish's dating choices any longer. But to his surprise, Sweetie Nair is the girl of his dreams and exactly what he needs in his life... but first he has to get over Celia.

This book was amazing, just when I think Sandhya Menon can't write a better book... she proves me wrong and writes this masterpiece. I really liked Ashish in When Dimple Met Rishi, but I was so happy to get to know him a little better and see his story develop in this book. But what absolutely made me fall in love with this book was Sweetie, I love love love her point of view and the amazing person she is. Her character development was truly fantastic, and I can so relate to her character and the changes shes made. Her story and the lesson in this book is perfect for adolescent girls that may have issues with body image.

The story kept me entertained throughout the whole book, and I can definitely say that I wasn't bored once. Sandhya uses lots of action and drama between the characters, and even throws in a few jokes here and there to make the story even better. I have no improvements to add about the author's writing. Its brilliant.

Overall, I definitely recommend this book if you loved the first one, or need a strong and confident female character to read about. I guarantee you will love this book.
I adore Sandhya Menon’s debut, When Dimple Met Rishi, so I kinda needed this companion novel like I need air. And it turns out I enjoyed it just as much, if not a bit more than her debut. I guess it was fate. There’s just something about this series. (Pun intended).

I want to start by talking about Sweetie. She is, quite simply, Queen. She knows who she is, and she accepts and loves herself. She’s very body positive, which in turn means the book is (aside from a few characters like Sweetie’s mom). I loved seeing her embrace her body, and stand up to those who would try to judge her. She calls herself ‘fat’, but she’s reclaiming the word. It’s powerful, and honestly a breath of fresh air. We need not only cultural diversity in books, but also body diversity. There was never a moment that I wasn’t cheering for her and loving her.

Ashish is also a sweetheart and honestly these are the kind of love interests the world needs. He’s supportive and caring. He was hurt pretty badly by his last ex, so it’s great to see him opening up again. Shout out to Ashish’s mom for being a rockstar. She’s literally the sweetest lady okay.

And, of course, the romance is literally the cutest ever. This book is MADE to make you smile, and it succeeds. I kept raving about it, on social media and in irl. That’s right, I’m a sucker for an adorable as heck romance and I’m not afraid to say it.

As with most romcoms, there’s a bit of a conflict the couple faces. This was really the only part where the book fell a little flat for me, and felt so very immature in comparison with the rest of the book. Maybe it’s realistic given it’s about teenage characters, but it felt forced to me.

There’s Something About Sweetie is such an adorable book, with such a body positive message. I’m so glad I read it. It leaves you with a smile, and that’s what a good romance should do (in my opinion).
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I just always love what Sandhya Menon has to say. Her characters are also very endearing. I finished this book in two sittings and could have kept going with the characters if it was possible. Highly reccomend
This was another amazing story by Sandhya Menon.

I loved the characters in this book. Sweetie was adorable and loveable. She was extremely talented, yet her mother criticized her for being “fat.” Ashish was also a great character. He was going through a lot of pain from a recent breakup, yet he was open to meeting a new girl that his parents picked out for him.

The narrative alternated between Sweetie’s and Ashish’s perspectives. It was third person, yet limited to both Sweetie’s and Ashish’s thoughts. I liked this style, because both characters were given equal time to show their stories.

This story features some of the characters from When Dimple Met Rishi, but it isn’t a sequel. The ending of that book may be spoiled if you read this book first, because Dimple and Rishi appear in the story. Rishi is actually the older brother of Ashish, the main male character in this story. However, it isn’t necessary to read that book first.

I loved this story! I’m so glad to see a body positive, “fat” girl featured in a book! I would have loved to read this kind of story when I was a teen, so I’m happy that teens today can see themselves in this book.

Thank you Simon and Schuster Canada for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I loved When Dimple Met Rishi so when I heard a sequel was being published, I knew I had to read it. There’s Something About Sweetie is the perfect companion to a wonderful series.

There’s Something About Sweetie stars Ashish, a junior in high school who’s lost his dating mojo. Seeing the success of his brother’s relationship, he decides to get his parents to set him up. Sweetie, the other starring character, is loyal to her friends, a great athlete, and fat. This last fact is a point of tension with her mother, who can’t seem to accept her. Both Ashish and Sweetie of have something to prove to themselves and the time they spend together helps them grow closer but also helps them figure out who they really are.

Ashish was definitely a character I was interested in from When Dimple Met Rishi so I really adored reading his story. There was definitely a depth to Ashish that extends beyond my first impressions of him and I really liked reading his POV. He showed so much growth since the beginning of the book to the end and I really loved seeing that journey.

I also really liked Sweetie. She was definitely one of my favourite characters that I’ve read about in a while. Sweetie accepted who she was and she had a lot of confidence but it was still hard to read about the pressures placed on her by her family and societal perceptions. I really wanted to jump into the book and punch every negative thought and person away from her.

Overall, I definitely recommend There’s Something About Sweetie. Not only is it a lovely romance, it also contains so many messages about body positivity that I think many people, adults and teenagers alike, will be able to identify with.
Hello guys,

Well this was the first time i read a book by Sandhya Menon. and was it ever a good leap.
i just really connected to Sweetie. ( as i am overweight also) and i just understood her so much. and i have been through what her mom does to her.  and i just loved this book so much. from all the up and down she goes through. If you feel like a good cheezy/ complicated romance pick this one up you will not regret it.
5Stars for sure!!!
If you loved When Dimple Met Rishi, you're absolutely going to love There's Something About Sweetie. It's adorable and has so many important themes like self-confidence. I loved seeing Ashish fall for Sweetie and the cameos that Dimple and Rishi made. I'd highly recommend it if you like body positivity and adorable high school romance.
This is my favourite of Sandhya Menon’s books. Bad ass confident girl? Check. Sweet romance? Check. Diverse characters who not only embrace their culture, but celebrate and learn about it? Check! Unapologetic fat girl gets the dude? Hell yes! All in all, a great read. Obviously, as someone who is not Indian there were bits I did not get. But you know what? Who cares! I learned about a culture I was not familiar with, and got to read a great story.
I’ve enjoyed both of Sandhya Menon‘s books that I’ve read previously, and knowing that this was a companion to When Dimple Met Rishi just made me more excited to read this one!

This was such a sweet, fun YA romcom. I feel like I read most of it with a big smile on my face! I loved both Ash and Sweetie, and I especially loved Sweetie’s confidence and the body positivity in this book. I also loved the emphasis on family relationships, as well as Sweetie’s group of girlfriends.

This is definitely a recommended read!
So, don't pelt me with rotten fruit, but I have to get this out of the way : THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT SWEETIE was very.. sweet. Kind of gooey. I wonder if it was a deliberate choice in order to balance out the less-than-fun fatphobic elements of the story or if that's just the author's preference (I've read WHEN DIMPLE MET RISHI but it was a few years ago and I can't remember what the sweet factor was like, so, anyway..).

Resisting fatphobic messages was one thing -- but what about the insidious, internalized fat phobia she carried around?

I was really keen on this one because of the aforementioned fat issue. As per the summary, Sweetie was toted to be big and beautiful and trying to be braver, bolder, in the face of her mother's criticisms and constant need to hold her back for fear of what others might say or do. And this definitely lived up to that. I actually really really adored Sweetie. I liked how she pushed herself to take risks, to stand up for herself, how she was confident in herself despite the fact that everything (society, media) and everyone (family, peers) would have her believe there was something wrong with her. But I also appreciated her moments of doubt, of frustration, with her body -- we all have that one area, or more, no matter our size, that we just dislike -- that just proved she was human, too.

"The word 'fat' isn't inherently bad or gross. It's people who've made it the way. 'Fat' is just the opposite of 'thin', and no one flinches at that one. So, to me, 'fat' is just another word that describes me, like 'brown' or 'girl' or 'athlete'."

As for Ashish, this is where the connection to the first book came. He's Rishi's little brother; confident, cocky, not-quite-connected-to-his-culture, and also recently heartbroken and reeling from the fact that for all his cool player ways he actually loved his ex, and doesn't know how to move on. Desperate to change things up, get his groove back, he follows in Rishi's footsteps and has his parents set him up with someone they approve of. And in comes Sweetie. Nothing like the previous girls he dated and yet..

Ashish was one of those naturally flirty people. It was, like, his resting state. He had resting flirty face.

I loved their connection, I loved their differences, I loved their individual sets of friends, and all the diversity within the pages. I'll admit that some of the monologue-y impassioned speeches or wise observations were a little much, and kind of over the top, and not hardly what I think we'd see from sixteen and seventeen year olds. But they were passionate and wise and accurate. So, thumbs up, but maybe a little too much and a few too many.

There's your typical 'hide something for good-ish reasons and have it blow up in your face' drama, which is hardly limited to YA and happens in all romance, and some issues or conversations did feel repetitive, plus Sweetie's mother as the sole hold out only to have the eleventh hour epiphany was kind of.. shrug. Again, typical, and I would've liked to have seen more gradual awareness in that transition but alas. The romance, too, is definitely a fall hard and fall fast situation and, again, ooey gooey sweet, but I still liked it.

He was doing his trademark smolder-smirk; she could see it in her peripheral vision. It was thirty percent smirk and seventy percent smolder, and she didn't even have fire protection in the car.

If you want a diverse, feel good, YA contemporary that's heavy on the romance and heavy on self-acceptance, this is the book for you.

** I received an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher (thank you!) in exchange for an honest review. **
I was sent an ARC in exchange for an honest review

I loved this! It was adorable I knew the one character Ashish from sandhya's other book when dimple met Rishi and was eagerly awaiting this next book. I think that mom is the best at setting people up. I want her to set me up with someone so badly.

Sweetie is awesome she is fat and embraces it, she is an athlete, a singer and overall just such a kind soul. I would 100% have wanted to be her friend in high school. Especially, in the beginning of the book, there is a lot of fat shaming by a close family member that was being overprotective and it did make me very angry, but it gets addressed in a way that mostly makes me happy.

I would highly recommend if you want a book that is heartfelt, filled with romance/first love.
Ok, so I know I liked Sandhya Menon's two previous books but I have to say, I absolutely ADORED this one!

Thanks so much to Simon and Schuster Canada and NetGalley for providing me with an eARC of this book, as always, all opinions are my own.

This book follows Sweetie, a young girl who is proud of her abilities as a runner and of her appearance, even if her mother is convinced she just needs to lose a little weight to be truly happy. When basketball star/playboy Ashish gets his heart broken, he finally agrees to let his parents set him up, just like they did for his brother, Rishi - if nothing else, it will be a distraction from his heartbreak. After Sweetie's mom refuses to let Sweetie date Ashish because of her weight, she decides to take matters into her own hands. Sweetie and Ashish both have their own agendas when it comes to their relationship so they know it won't turn serious - right?

First and foremost, I absolutely loved Sweetie and Menon's portrayal of a fat main character. There was a lot of commentary on the matter, it was a core theme of the book, but it was also undeniably part of Sweeties identity - not just an extra detail tacted on to her character. As a bigger girl myself, I related so well to Sweetie, and while there were some times I really disliked her mom for the comments she made, I do understand where she was coming from. I think this was a really important issue and it was well developed in the book.

Secondly, can we talk about that romance?! I've really been in the mood for great romance storylines and boy-oh-boy did this one not disappoint! Menon's writing has really improved from her first two books (not that they were bad, this just seemed more developed). You could feel the chemistry between Sweetie and Ashish, which was exactly what I was looking for! While things don't go past kissing, you can feel the connection between the two of them which just makes it even more fantastic.

We also get to see a bit of a Dimple and Rishi cameo in this one as well, which I loved! I know it's set in the same world (and Rishi is Ashish's brother) but I loved seeing what was happening with them.

Overall, easily my new favourite from Menon and I cannot recommend it enough!
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary

Published: May 14, 2019 by: Simon Pulse

Rating: 5/5 stars

Ashish Patel, fresh from being dumped by his ex-girlfriend, has completely lost his sense of self. His parents insist they can find him a great Indian-American girl to date, and this search ends in Sweetie, a track star whose traditional parents often remind her how much she lacks due to her weight. As Sweetie and Ashish begin to date, Ashish begins to rekindle the romance he once thought was dead, and Sweetie breaks out of her shell and owns herself for who she is. There's Something About Sweetie is a heartwarming companion to When Dimple Met Rishi, that includes lovable characters, witty humour, and a Bollywood reference or two.

I loved this book! I was really curious to see what Menon would do with the Dimple and Rishi world, and this book was that answer. I thought it was really cool to see what Rishi's brother has been up to, and how the two differ from one another. Sweetie was such an awesome main character, and Menon did a great job at writing a fat main character whose worth does not diminish due to her weight. This book is of course, also #ownvoices when it comes to Indian representation, and I very much appreciated every reference to Indian food and culture. Being half Pakistani, I could understand a lot of Ashish's and Dimple's family structures and thought it was extremely accurate.

I liked this book because it was simple, straight to the point, and it was very realistic. Ashish and Sweetie are just two ordinary teens trying to find themselves. They aren't written to be these grand philosophical characters who have everything figured out, and I think that's what makes them very relatable. Their relationship is slow to start and very pure, and I found myself rooting for them every step of the way.

Overall, I thought this was a fun romance that is also incredibly diverse. It is easy to get through, and the ending satisfied my love of the world of Dimple, Rishi, and their friends and family. This was a positive book that I think all should read if you love some fluffy romance!

Emily @ Paperback Princess
You should know this. I truly and genuinely adore Sandhya Menon. If you ever get the chance to meet her do it because she’s just as wonderful in person as you can imagine.

I was ecstatic to be given the chance to read There’s Something About Sweetie by NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Canada. I love Sandhya’s romcom style of writing and the newest instalment into the Dimple-verse did not disappoint.

Sweetie is a fresh new character paired up with one we already got to know a little in When Dimple Met Rishi (also YES! Dimple and Rishi will appear briefly!). I really like the use of the double narrative to tell these kinds of stories, each character is on their own journey but they walk together hand-in-hand to get there. That being said I’m not a big fan of insta-love... which it kind of falls into... but you know Sandhya won’t let us go with out a little angst. To make up for it there are moments that are extra sweet (no pun intended), like Sweetie helping Ashish experience their culture with new appreciation (and can I just say the Holi festival sounds incredible!). I also REALLY want to know more about Samir! He was only a minor character but I felt myself really drawn to him. What’s his story? Maybe the Dimple-verse needs a fourth book? Sandhya- *nudge nudge* - pretty please?

All in all, I would classify this book as fun, flirty, and a perfect summer read.
Below is the link to my blog's review of There's Something About Sweetie by Sandhya Menon:

After enjoying From Twinkie, With Love in 2018, I couldn't resist the sequel to When Dimple met Rishi. Ashish, the younger brother of Rishi, is a high school basketball star and resident playboy, who has just had his heart broken. His parent's solution-let's find you a nice Indian-American girl. Enter Sweetie, a young woman that attends the same school as Ashish. A member of the track team and a gifted singer, Sweetie has often felt judged on her physical appearance. Even her mother believes that Sweetie will never be happy until she's thin. But then the two meet...

This heartwarming story captured me from the very first page and after finishing it yesterday, I am still smiling. In Sweetie, Sandhya Menon has created a character that I wish I could have been in high school and I would definitely want my daughter to be. I also adored the friends of both parties and there was one scene in particular that has me laughing until tears were running down my cheeks.

I recall years ago a person commenting to me that it always made them uncomfortable when encountering a certain type of couple. The tall muscular guy and his chubby girlfriend. I recall that person saying "Like, doesn't he know that he can do much better?" This was uncomfortable for two reasons- one I didn't share that thinking and two I WAS/still am a chubby girl and how dare they!! Now I haven't a clue whatever happened to that person, but I hope time has given them different opportunities to maybe broaden their vision.

Great characters, solid storytelling, and just a downright wonderful gem of a novel. That's why my original 4 star rating is now bumped to a 5.

Published on 14/05/19

Goodreads Review 16/05/19

Thanks to Netgalley and Simon&Shuster Canada for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.