Cover Image: The Humiliations of Pipi McGee

The Humiliations of Pipi McGee

An amazing story and really well written. I enjoyed the fun-loving characters and the things they got up to. HIghly recommended.
A funny story of how life can just go wrong year after year throughout your elementary grades and continue to middle school. Pipi is determined that it all stops now. Prepare for a quick read that will keep you smiling.
A clever and cute book that will connect easily with many of the students in an elementary or middle school library. It is a quick read, but funny and it keeps you interested all the way through.
Thanks NetGalley for this young adult ARC.  Loved this book and will be recommending to my teacher friends and all my reading buddies.
Tons of fun to read! Can not recommend this book enough. Bought it for multiple kids of my friends. Pipi McGee is incredibly likable and so you care about Pipi cover to cover. For me, I’m all about characters and this one has a character you can root for and love. My only problem is that the book ended.
A semi-accurate portrayal of tween life, other than the fact that some of the issues between characters felt forced.. The protagonist Pipi, is going through typical hardships of middle school while holding on to past blunders. She makes the decision to try to save younger kids from those same humiliating experiences. Beware there are some topics that parents may want to be aware of in order to discuss with children.
Though I received a copy of the ebook in exchange for my review, all opinions remain my own.

This was such a good book. What starts out as Pipi trying to fix all of her previous humiliations and make herself better. You can guess that things don't quite go as expected. I found myself tearful at points during this book, it got so real. I think a tween or teen girl could relate to what Pipi is going through. Hopefully they don't have the horrible teacher that 7th grade Pipi had to deal with!
I read this with my students and they loved it!
Growing up isn't easy, especially now in this time where everything is digital and nothing is ever forgotten. If my students took anything away from this, it's that it's OK to be flawed because nobody is perfect. Essential read for the youngins in your life!

While the illustrations were well done, mixed media usually goes awry when it's digital but I was able to make them out.
A great book. Once I read this, I immediately placed it on an order for my school. Since it has entered our library, it hasn't spent a whole lot of time on the shelves - it's constantly being checked out. Highly recommended for middle schoolers - they really relate to the main character.
A fabulous read for middle schoolers!

Full of childhood wonder and atrocity, The Humiliations of Pipi McGee by Beth Vrabel is a superb novel packed with comedy and fun. The author explores the horrors of middle school bullying that get kids into sticky situations while offering them hope that things get easier. Although initially I did not care much for protagonist Pipi, as the story unfolded she became more like a friend of sorts to me. Her struggles with school  began from kindergarten and progressed throughout until the end of seventh grade. But now, aged thirteen and in eighth grade, Pipi has a plan to rebuild her reputation, referred to as The List.

I ended up really enjoying Pipi's growth in the novel and the pages in this book seemed to whizz by. The well drawn characters didn't end with Pipi. There was her best friend, Tasha, who was one of the popular kids and she didn't like Pipi's plan; Ricky, with whom The List also didn't curry much favour; Sarah, one half of the Sarah and Kara cousins twosome, who seemed like she might be a friend; Jackson, a friend of Sarah's, on whom Pipi has had a crush since sixth grade.

Pipi has had some really awful things happen to her and she still dwelt on those bad moments and though this certainly didn't make her a bad person, she mostly wasn't too pleasant, either. Over time, Beth Vrabel managed to win me over, character-wise, as I found myself wanting to know more about every single character in this book.

The author has fashioned a marvellous novel that I highly recommend, without any hesitation.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my request, from Perseus Books, Running Press via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
This book was funny and relatable for middle school students.  The illustrations added to the humor and I think students would definitely enjoy this one.
Hilarious and insightful.

Pipi is a very resilient character. Although she has had humiliating/embarrassing , maybe even bullying, experiences during her previous years of middle-school, she is determined to turn her last year of middle-school into a year of success (of some sort). As I said, I liked the resilience. I laughed at the strange things/situations. Cringed at some of the, certainly age appropriate, decisions.
The Humiliations of Pipi McGee, is a fun middle-grade following Pipi, who is in her last year of middle school. Every year since kinder garden, something embarrassing has happened to her, being stuck with her through every year and something her fellow peers never has forgotten. This year, she decides it is time to remake herself and make up for past mistakes.

I expected a funny middle-grade, and it was exactly what I got! It was funny, heartwarming and sad. Through humor it teaches the reader things that are really important in life. Even though being made fun of is never fun, it is not Pipi’s fault, and it is not her job to change. She realizes through mistakes how wrong she has been, but also how wrong people around her has been. I liked our flawed Pipi and the people around her. Her “unconventional” family, which is not the normal family we usually see (but what kind of family is really normal anymore?). As an older reader I do realize that the thought pattern Pipi has, is not the “correct” one and she will eventually come to learning-point. However, the younger reader might not realize this at once, which makes it not just a fun book, but a fun book with heart! 3.5/4 stars.
This book was a super quick read and very funny! If you were that awkward teenage who was easily embarrassed in school you will relate to this book. Several times while reading it I had flashbacks to my middle school self.
Cute pictures.A bit too cutesy for me. Not much of a story line to follow along with. Geared towards elementary and lower middle school students.
My Thoughts
This is definitely a revenge book. Thankfully there was a lesson to be learned as well. Here are my pros and cons for The Humiliations of Pipi McGee:

Pros

1.  I found myself getting irritated with Pipi. She wanted to “reverse” her humiliations, which in her mind meant to get revenge on the people she felt had a hand in causing her humiliations in the first place. At least 2/3 of the book was Pipi enjoying her revenge and I found myself thinking that the joy she was getting from paying people back for what they’d done to her wasn’t a very good message. Thankfully, the good message finally did come toward the end of the book.
2.  I liked that that book emphasized that revenge on someone can, and often does, hurt innocent people as well. That is a good lesson to learn.
3.  The book had some pretty mature themes that were dealt with carefully.

Cons

1.  For me, it took too long for the moral of the story to arrive. I felt there was too much emphasis on the revenge.
2.  I hate mean girls. Hate them. It is so rare to read a middle grade or teen book without them and that makes me really sad. Girls can be so incredibly cruel to each other.
3.  Some of the descriptions and writing were way over the top for me, but probably appropriate for the intended audience.

Summary
“Hurt people hurt people.” Pipi was told this once and she finally understands it at the end of the book. And I hope the young readers of this book get it as well. Revenge is never the answer because it just perpetuates the problem, brings you down to the same level as the person that wronged you in the first place, and more people end up suffering.

This is a solid story with a good lesson. It isn’t earth-shattering literature, but it is just possible that a middle grade student might learn something from it. I would recommend this book for tweens/young teens – probably from 10-14 years old.

Thank you NetGalley and Running Press Kids for a free eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you NetGalley and Publishers for granting me early access to "The Humiliation of Pipi McGee". I'm currently in the middle of a major move, but I will come back at a later time and write out a full review and rating.
*Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an ARC of this book in return for a fair and honest review.
Anyone who is or has ever been a middle schooler will be able to relate to this hilarious YA novel by Beth Vrabel. Pipi Magee, the school outcast, begins 7th grade with a plan of revenge and redemption for all the humiliations she has suffered since Kindergarten...and the list is long. It's a novel of friendship, bravery and being true to yourself. I'm looking forward to reading it to my middle school students! Very highly recommended!
Thank you @netgalley for the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

Let me start by saying that I adore @authorbethvrabel . She has quickly become one of my absolute favorite middle grade authors. Her stories are full of humorous, relatable and heartwarming characters that teach the reader wonderful lessons.

Pipi won me over immediately.  She’s a feisty young lady who has endured her fair share of embarrassment. One of those people who just finds themselves in completely awkward moments, but unfortunately suffers the repercussions for years because her fellow classmates make all of her actions a running joke. Those situations were equally entertaining to read, yet heartbreaking at the same time. Maybe I didn’t personally have as many publicly humiliating moments every grade level as she did. But I was teased quite often for being shy and completely naive. I wish a story like this would have been around back then.

Pipi teaches you that everyone goes through those moments, but it’s how you move on afterwards that makes a difference. She shows you that a crush on a popular boy often times disappoints you once you get to know them. She learns that you can’t change a wallflower because it will alter their magical personality and that real, true friends accept your quirkiness and stick by you know matter what. Actions and situations are often misperceived and shouldn’t be dwelled upon. She discovers the hard way that revenge is never a good retaliation. “Hurt people, hurt people” It turns you into a bully, alienates the people that matter and eventually leaves you feeling pretty low about yourself.

Aside from Pipi, this book is full of so many wonderful and diverse characters who are battling their own issues as well. I especially loved Ricky, Sarah, and Pipi’s dad. That entire nose piercing scene was beyond fabulous. It was also wonderful to have Jason, a character from The Reckless Club, make an appearance and connect with Pipi.

I can’t recommend this book enough. I will definitely purchase a copy and enjoy reading it with my daughter. I think it will be a great way to open up some wonderful and important discussions before she heads into middle school.
I'm sure this is an enjoyable book for Middle Graders and High School students. I'm not sure if it's fun to read for adults, I felt a bit too old for this book sometimes. Some Middle School books can be enjoyable for all ages, but I'm not sure this book fits that range. I did like some of the characters and was eventually curious about the ending.

Pros
Illustrations: Some of the illustrations really added something to the story and it also gave the book a more Middle Grade feeling. I loved the bacon-drawing, which is a big part of this book. It made me laugh so hard.
Annie: By far my favorite character. I love me a quirky, smart Kindergartner, and that's exactly what Annie is. She is funny and serious at the same time. She's overly cute and really won my heart! I'd love to have her in my classroom.
Secret: A big part of the book was about a big secret from 7th Grade that Pipi doesn't want to talk about. It made me so curious and I didn't guess what it was. The revelation came at the right moment in the story as well.
Curious: I was curious about the ending. Pipi is that kind of a character that just makes sure that everything that can go wrong, will go wrong. I saw a big disaster coming from far away, but I had no idea how it would play out. It made me want to read the ending and also helped me to finish the book.

Cons
Jealousy: Jealousy and small-mindedness is a huge part in this book. It was all so negative at some point that it made me cringe. It was kinda weird that a good friend won't grant you time and friendships with others without being overly dramatic and negative about it. It just isn't a good example for Middle Graders to my opinion.
I'm too old?!: I really felt too old for this book. All the drama, negativity and predictability in a big part of the book took away a big part of the fun for me. I am curious to the opinion of maybe younger readers. I do think this would be a book for girls/boys who are about to go to High School.

Overall
An enjoyable story with loads of characters. I'm sure there is a character for everyone to like. The book was good in keeping some things a mystery and that made me curious. I do feel like I'm a bit too old for the drama in this book...