The Prophet

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Mar 2019

Having never read The Prophet before, I had no real notion of the style. For me, this read like a poetic reinterpretation of the Bible.
A book of prophetic essays that has been compared to the bible. The Prophet is described as his best work produced during the early 20's.
To compare it to today's standards on a variety of topics is to miss the mark and not do this book justice.
For me as a feminist I felt I was taking the back seat to a man and not as an equal in sync and equally as powerful. He addresses many important areas such as love, life, forgiveness, and sorrow.
On marriage we must give one another space to grow and flourish to let the sea come between us and flow freely being careful not to get caught up in love. "You were born together but let there be spaces in your togetherness." "Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup." "And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow."
For me I married a malignant narcissist who followed dark, mysterious, often dreary writers. Kahlil Gibran was one of his favorites
In order to understand the mind of another you often need to go back and peak through the darkness. So for me this was my best foot forward.
While many regard his work with valor and for good reason for me it was a time long ago that may need updating to relate to various issues.
Together yet separate as insightful and truthful as one can be while seeking love never complain about suffering.
I have read and loved this insightful book before and requested it to have a copy to reread parts.  Different passages will be relevant to read at needed times.  I remember how helpful it was when I read it before.