The Last Battleground

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Mar 2019

As a North Carolina resident who works at an antebellum plantation site in Raleigh, this book is invaluable! Very informative and hits major points while maintaining a decent balance of Federal vs. Confederate information. Highly recommend for fellow North Carolina historians!
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

What a fascinating read! Because the book began as a series of single articles that were then put together, there's an excellent synthesis of both macro- and micro-history of the Civil War in North Carolina. The author has done an excellent job of really bringing each small moment to life and through them, painting an excellent picture of the end of the war in North Carolina. Additionally, because the format began as small articles, each chapter is really easy to read on its own, a great coffee-table read for history-buffs. The material is great for those interested in learning more, but there's enough new details and tales that even Civil War buffs will learn something new. I would highly recommend for anyone remotely interested in the Civil War!

Because I just finished creating a Civil War in Raleigh Trolley Tour, I found this book to be immensely helpful in understanding the broader importance of North Carolina in the Civil War as well. You won't go wrong with this book.
A different take on a civil war novel that really works. Told from several different perspectives the characters are very well written and believable

I've been reading books about the Civil War for roughly 50 years and have read quite a few over the years.  This book is an excellent addition to the stack of books written over the last 150+ years and I would most highly recommend it to any Civil War buffs.  Above is my Amazon review.