Cover Image: On a Summer Tide

On a Summer Tide

I really enjoyed this story and hopefully the start of a new series! I can’t wait to read more!

The story alternates between the father and his 3 daughters point of views of the current happenings on the Island and their lives. I really liked how the story was written and how it flowed. Great, steady pace with interesting, fun characters. I loved the description of the Island and some of the Islanders like Peg and Seth. I hope there will be more books in this series so I can read more about the camp’s growth and the sisters lives and what they choose to do.

This christian fiction and romance book focused on mending relationships, discovering purpose and direction in life, and love and forgiveness. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend!

I received a copy of this book complimentary for blog and social media review. All opinions are my own.
"On a  Summer Tide  " by  Suzanne Woods Fisher  is a Christian fiction book. This book is  the  second in the Three Sisters Island series.   Three Sisters Island is a calm , peaceful place for  a setting.   The people who live there  can recharge in the  peaceful and quiet   area .  There are several themes  in this book: : anxiety vs peace, overcoming fears, God's forgiveness for us and our forgiveness for each other. The reader will  feel like they have walked into this island  for a while.  Suzanne
 has  written  over 30 novels. She writes  Amish stories and other fiction titles. her website is :www.suzannewoodsfisher.com
Read less  Thank you to the publisher, netgalley for allowing me to read and review this  book.  I  have been given this book for review purposes only  and the opinions are my own.
What’s the Best Thing about Every Great New Book?
I’m calling it magnetism—that inability to put a book down. The reasons for it may be myriad, but the reality always means one thing—you’ve got a great book.

I’d requested a review copy of On a Summer Tide, and needed to get it done. So, in the wee hours last night, I started the book. Going to be totally honest here… I expected to skim a lot and reread on my trip out of town tomorrow.

This is where I say to myself, “You’re so cute.”
Like I could possibly skip a single word of this book. Every time I tried (all two or three of them, anyway), I found myself going back and rereading large bits to find any words I’d missed.

See, the story had a lot of fabulous elements—interesting plots and subplots, engaging characters, and a fabulous setting. With her usual skill, Suzanne Woods Fisher weaves a multi-layered story that holds you riveted to the page.

She invites you into the lives of these characters and makes you care about what happens to them.
One of the most brilliant things about On a Summer Tide is that she manages to keep such diverse characters consistent with themselves. Maddie is always focused on where someone might need support and encouragement. One of the locals is always ribbing one of the others. From primary character to the rarely-mentioned supporting characters, they stay in character the entire time.

That’s tough to do, folks, and Ms. Fisher did it with deceptive ease. Trust me. There’s nothing “easy” about it, but she sure makes it look like it just naturally happens because that is who that character is.

The faith element might be my favorite thing about the whole book. It was real. It’s the kind of thing I see play out in the lives of people every week. Someone doesn’t hear about Jesus and instantly have an encyclopedic knowledge of the Bible and Bible terms. Faith isn’t fully bloomed the moment someone miraculously discovers a “sinner’s prayer” without any help from another believer.

No, faith in this book comes quietly, gently, and with much resistance.
For those who want to know, there were two (that I recall) uses of a word that some would take issue with. Furthermore, sinners act like the sinners they are. And in the past, some redeemed sinners did some pretty awful stuff.

On a Summer Tide is recommended for people who have a strong connection to Maine, who love realistic characters and complex family stories, and just a hint of a gentle romance. Definitely recommended for people who enjoy a bit of understated depth to their fiction and a lighter sprinkling of romance.
On a Summer Tide is a promising start to Fisher's new series about a family who moves to a small island off the coast of Maine. Sisters Cam, Maddie, and Blaine have never been close, but after their father Paul sells their family home and purchases a summer camp on a remote island, they unite in their worry for him and desire to help him get the camp running.

This book is largely oldest sister Cam's story. Single mom Cam has no intention of staying on Three Sisters Island, but she soon realizes her son Cooper, who struggles with anxiety and compulsive behavior, is more comfortable there than anywhere else. And then she meets Seth, the island's school teacher, who challenges her to open her heart to faith and love.

The story is told from four perspectives: Cam's, Maddie's, Blaine's, and Paul's. Some of these characters I liked a whole lot; others not so much. I do think that by the time the series reaches its conclusion, Maddie will have won me over, but I didn't care for her much in this book. But Blaine I loved, and I can't wait to read more of her story!

Every so often throughout the book, there would be a flashback to Cam's past. I didn't enjoy these flashbacks at all; I felt like they just served to pull me out of the story. But otherwise, I really enjoyed this first look at the Grayson family, and I look forward to continuing their story.
This is such a fun summer story to pick up! I enjoyed the characters and look forward to reading more in the series. The setting is excellent for a summer read!
I enjoyed reading this book. It was interesting and kept me reading as the  three daughters were all different. They wanted to help their father with his ambitious plan. I would recommend you to read this book if you want an easy book to read.
For those who know Suzanne Woods Fisher as a writer of Amish fiction, On a Summer Tide will come as a surprise. It is contemporary and explores the relationship between three sisters and their father who was pretty much absent during their growing-up years. And, it is amazing!

Camden Grayson is sure her father has lost his mind. After spending years as a professional baseball announcer, a bout of laryngitis has sent him completely off the deep end, or is he in the early stages of senility? Cam's high-flying career keeps her on the road so she really doesn't understand her father's recent purchase of a camp in Maine. Although, since she has been asked to find a different school for her seven-year-old son, maybe staying on the island with his grandfather and two of his aunts would be a good option while she travels to London. Yes, her son has some issues, but don't all kids?

Middle sister, Madison Grayson, has always been the family worrier. She can diagnose everyone but herself, and is enticed to her father's island with a promise of her own counseling office. Never mind that she has a fiance, a ring she can't bring herself to wear, and a future mother-in-law planning her wedding for her (including choosing her dress.)

Baby sister, Blaine, has always felt like the invisible sister. No one ever takes her seriously in her family, and they treat her more like the family pet than a sister. She has no intention of going to Three Sisters Island, until she is asked to leave her college because she can't make up her mind about a major, or what she wants to do with her life. She's willing to help her father get the camp ready, until she discovers that Peg at The Lunch Counter needs her cooking expertise. As she bakes and makes coffee, she discovers something she has always loved, but can she make a career out of it?

This book was mostly about the family dynamics between the three sisters, with their father and Cam's son thrown into the mix. Growing up, their mother was the glue that held things together. When she died in a fire, along with Cam's best friend, Libby, things fell apart. On a Summer Tide is all about Paul Grayson trying to find a way to put things back together.

If you enjoy women's fiction, I'd say this book fits that category. There is a bit of romance here for Camden and island schoolteacher, Seth, but it is mostly a side-note in the story. I loved this book and look forward to future stories focused more on Madison and Blaine!
On a Summer Tide, a story about reconnecting with family and defining life purposes for three sisters. A recently widowed retired sports announcer makes sudden life change hoping to reconnect with  his family. He sells everything and buys a dilapidated summer camp on Three Sisters Island off the coast of Maine that holds special personal memories for him. All three of his daughters, concerned about his health and mental state come to see what he has gotten himself into, finding reasons to stay themselves to help with the rebuilding of the camp. Resulting in the rebuilding of their personal lives as well. The island provides the backdrop of changes, realizations, and discoveries for the family.
Suzanne Woods Fisher is an author who truly amazes me with her creative talents and ability to write such a variety of genres!!  Every one of her books has captivated me from start to finish. This book is the first in a new series entitled "The Three Sisters Island". What a great start!!

The general theme throughout the novel was that of forgiveness , love and their importance within a family. The characters were so realistically described that I was able to identify with each and every one. This , to me, makes a super read!  I found each person to be somewhat quirky, having their own unique personality, requiring the others to be understanding and full of family love. Each of these characters grew and changed as the plot progressed. Faith is what keeps them all intertwined, finding answers when they least expect it. Suzanne dealt with some delicate issues in this rather dysfunctional family with understanding and grace. Yes, this family was just like any other!! Far from perfect.

The plot progressed at a good pace with just enough unexpected twists and turns to keep the reader glued to the page. I was especially caught off guard at one particular point, but I must refrain from giving spoilers! LOL

A couple particular quotes have stuck with me! The are  so true and meaningful!

"Life presents you with important choices. You can lash out, become bitter. Or draw closer to God, become better."
"It's never too late to learn to listen"

This book is definitely five stars!! Eagerly awaiting Book Two in this series!! Suzanne Woods Fisher, you have honestly written the BEST book yet!!
This book was received from CelebrateLit. The thoughts and  opinions expressed are honest and my own.
4.5 Stars

ON A SUMMER TIDE is one of those stories that draws you in with its family dynamics, small-town island setting, and heart. With complex characters and an endearing plot, it's sure to delight readers from beginning to end.

I easily fell in love with these characters. The author did such a great job with their different POVs and how I always knew whose voice was whose. Camden was definitely my favorite, but she also was the main focal point of this story. I also loved the other two sisters and their father. Then there was Peg and Seth and Cooper, who all were easy to love as well. Just a great set of characters overall. I also loved the idea of the island and flipping the camp and cabins. I loved the island and all the scenery and how Seth expands both Cam's and Cooper's visions. The inspirational element was handled really well too. I felt it was weaved through these characters' lives in a very natural way. The romance was sweet and didn't overtake the story. I'm looking forward to seeing more romance in coming books in the series as everything wasn't all wrapped up for Cam or for her sisters. I'm also excited to see how the camp and island has evolved in the next book. If you can't tell, I was really invested in this story and loved it!

The only thing I had issues with was I thought Maddie was over the top with her worries and anxieties, but also that her family followed and believed so many things she spouted off as well. I just felt like her family would at least be used to it and take her advice in stride more often than not, and definitely not encourage it.

In the end, was it what I wished for? I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! There were moments when I laughed, when I wanted to cry, and sweet moments of faith and romance. This family and island have grown on me. I definitely recommend picking this story up and am looking forward to finding out what happens next to the Grayson family.

Content: Clean
Source: I received a complimentary copy from the tour host/NetGalley, which did not require a positive review nor affect my review in any way.
This was such a fun Memorial Day weekend read, the book culminated on Memorial Day and I completed it just as our Memorial Day camping weekend came to a close.  It was the perfect companion on our weekend away. I devoured it and I am so glad there will be more to come. Suzanne Woods Fisher is a talented writer who crafts not only engaging and interesting characters, but also story lines that are both relateable and an escape from my own reality.

The three sisters portrayed in “On a Summer Tide” have characteristics I can see in myself and in my own sister relationships. However,  they also had enough differences from each other and from me leaving my interest peaked and me fully engaged in their conflicts, how they would or would not resolve them, and highly invested into them and their relationships.

The sisters face a great deal of loss, adventure, and self-discovery in this story and not only did I love the culmination of this book, but I am waiting with baited breath for the sequential books to release to hear more about their lives and where their decisions will take them. I loved the setting! As Fisher bounces us back and forth between “Three Sisters Island” and it’s quaint small town vibe, the past that brought them all here today, and the busy and chaotic lives the sisters all have lead leading up to their present day situation I easily jumped from character to character and found the story easy to follow yet complicated enough to leave me flipping pages without stopping. I really related to both the characters and the story and yet found it also completely refreshing and outside the norm of my usually reading.

The book was an easy read, and I’ve already shared it with a friend. I cannot wait for book two in this series and I hope you’ll read on to read more about the book, snag a recipe from Fisher, and join in the great giveaway included in the rest of this post.

Thanks to the publisher for my copy of the book. All the opinions shared here are honest and my own.
The second book I have read by Suzanne Woods Fisher, On a Summer Tide is the debut in a new series which introduces us to the Grayson family, a father (Paul) and his three daughters (Cam, Maddie, Blaine) whose lives are upended by their wife and mother's death, and the father's subsequent decision to buy a tiny little island in Maine which he promptly re-names Three Sisters. A tad abrasive and decidedly negative at the start, it unfortunately took me a while to warm up to the titular three sisters. And while this meant I had some trouble becoming immersed in the story, it smoothed out some once the character of Peg, an old-time islander, eventual mother figure and all-round hoot, entered the story.

While it's clear this first book belongs to Cam, the perspective of her sisters and father are given an equal amount of page-time, a decision I came to enjoy. Suzanne's description of the island's natural beauty did a good job of pulling me in as well, and seeing all three women eventually come around and develop a love for the island as strong as their fathers was one of the best aspects of the book. On the flip-side, my largest source of annoyance actually came from the big 'twist' at the end meant to throw a spanner in the works between Cam and her love interest, a plot-point I saw coming from a mile off.

That said, Seth and Peg were easily my favourite characters, and the island itself and feeling of community shared amongst the people who live there was beautifully on display, as was the message of God's unfailing love and the redemption which can be found through it. To conclude, while I didn't end up fully connecting with this book, I did find it an enjoyable read, and look forward to hearing what Maddie's story will entail,

Published: 30th April 2019
I was given a complimentary copy of this book from Revell Publishers through Netgalley. Thank you.
All opinions expressed are my own.
This is the first novel in the Three Sisters Island series where the author introduces all three sisters who are at very different stages in life. Any closeness they had died along with their mother. Their dad has called a family meeting, the girls expected this would be the time their father told them some bad medical news about his voice, but nothing could have prepared them for the words that came out of their father’s mouth. “Girls I have an announcement.” Paul Grayson took a breath and blurted out, “I sold the house.”…And bought an island.”

Paul saw their shocked expressions and continued….”no this is not a delayed midlife crisis. This is something your mother and I had always wanted to do. Planned to do.”….”I want to breathe new life into the island.” He tells his girls he’s changed the name of the island to Three Sisters Island, the actual translation of its original Native American name. They weren’t impressed.

The girls couldn’t believe their dad expected them to be happy about this. They began to wonder if he has lost his mind. Does he have dementia? Paul Grayson was desperate to bring his family together. He thought this project would do the trick.

There was so much to enjoy in this story. I was drawn into the lives of these engaging characters; their situations and I was fascinated by life on the island. It’s a beautiful setting for this thought-provoking story to unfold, with interesting plots and subplots, intertwined in the story line were passions from the authors personal life. For example, the authors husband is passionate about making ice cream one of the sisters has this same thing.  The authors whole family has a passion for training Guide Dogs for the Blind, hence their love of animals. The authors passions shine through and make the story all the more intriguing.

These sisters had special skills their father hoped they’d use in this project. CAM is a competitive businesswoman with a 7-year-old adopted son, Cooper. Maddie is an encourager who is plagued with fear and anxiety as she attempts to become a counselor. Blaine is a 19 yr-old, college student, who is easily influenced. She’s in a bit of a quandary about what to with her life and what to major in college.

Then there’s Seth Walker a handsome schoolteacher whose hands-on approach to teaching is connecting with Cam’s son Cooper. Quirky Peg Legg, owner of the Island’s Lunch Counter and General Store is a hoot and her bird named Lola is too. She’s an Islander that will make you smile. Then there’s the ever popular Phinney family whose father is the Mayor, with an agenda.

Some inspirational quotes I enjoyed, . “…life was full of simple miracles, if you just opened your eyes to them.”

The girls reflect on what their mom had told them…”life would surprise us with important choices, and our true character would emerge in how we responded.”

This story will make you smile, laugh, bite your nails in one part and melt your heart in others as this family faces the unexpected, the author throws in a splash of romance for good measure. I enjoyed the Grayson family, and the other characters in this heartwarming story,

I look forward to reading more adventures as they fix up the Island. The author has included discussion questions in the back of the book which help make for a lively book club discussion.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the Publisher.  I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
On a Summer Tide by Suzanne Woods Fisher is a great summer read. It explores the fractured relationships of three sisters and their father. When their dad sells his house and buys an island, the sisters lives begin to change. This book focuses particularly on Cam’s life, and this is a very interesting story. I recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys books about family relationships and seaside living. I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher with no obligations. These opinions are entirely my own.
I received an Advanced Reader Copy from Fleming H. Revell Company and NetGalley for my unbiased opinion of the book.  This story centers around Camden Grayson, father, son, and her two sisters.  Camden is trying to please everyone from work to home and especially her son.  She is failing and doesn't even know it.  Her father purchases Three Sisters Island and turn into a resort.  He’s hoping to bring the family closer as it once was before their mother died.  Camden while juggling several balls in the air, one by one they all start to drop.  She needs to find where she belongs and what is most important to her before losing it all.  I really loved this book the family dynamics, I identified with all the sisters in some way.  I revel in when a book grabs me in the beginning and doesn’t let go until it’s over as this one did.  I eagerly anticipate the next book in the series.  Suzanne keep up the great writing!!!
Received this from Net Galley and so glad I did! How does buying a island and putting your family there where they can't go anywhere to heal your family! Loved the people in the story and the struggles within the family to solve! Really enjoyed the book!
My Thoughts:
I have long loved Suzanne Woods Fisher for her Amish fiction. It’s sweet, it’s fun, the characters are engaging, and it’s a fast read.  So I knew I wanted to try some of her other fiction works as well.  I am not disappointed and know you won’t be either.

This new series is titled Three Sisters Island which is the English translation of the name of the island that the father, Paul Grayson, purchases.  The island holds the camp where he met his late wife and it means the fulfillment of a dream they had.  But it means so much more as well.  He has high hopes of healing the relationships in his family with this island.

Cam has a job she loves, a son she adores, and way more drama than she cares for with her family.  Is there any way it can just start to get better?  Nope.  Her father buys a remote island, her son’s school calls to say that they’re basically firing him for his behaviors and she is offered a trip to London for work.

How can she make it all work?  Is she a failure as a mother?  Can her sister be right and there is something wrong with her son?  He seems just like a normal boy to her and apparently to the island schoolteacher as well.

Speaking of that island schoolteacher.  There is just something about him that draws Cam in.  And how did she not know her younger sister could make coffee like this?  After all, coffee is life.

Besides agreeing that coffee is life, I definitely love watching the interactions between all the family members.  And I can’t help thinking that there is so much more than I still want to learn. Like for instance what happened to Cam’s best friend and mother of her son?  See that’s a spoiler there in that he’s not biologically Cam’s son, but hey I had to.

You see I love books that make adoption more commonplace and a part of everyone’s life as we have adopted.  It is very hard to find books with positive spins on adoption.  This book gets all the thumbs up from me.

I have voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from Celebrate Lit. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.  I was not required to write a positive review nor was I compensated in any other way.  All opinions expressed are my own.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the FTC regulations.
Enjoyed this book. Kept me interested all the way through. Would recommend to a fellow reader.  Love the cover.
Can Buying a small Island, help Restore your Fractured Family? Susan Woods Fisher has masterfully written another Outstanding & Engrossing Story, in "On a Summer Tide"! You get a wonderful mix of genres in this novel:  Christian, Romance, Mystery, Family, & Community. Can the family restore Three Sisters rundown Camp in time for Summer opening date, while helping the island's failing economy? I Highly Recommend you Read this Story to find out! Thanks to Netgalley I was able to do so.
ometimes love hurts--and sometimes it can heal in the most unexpected way.

Camden Grayson loves her challenging career, but the rest of her life could use some improvement. "Moving on" is Cam's mantra. But there's a difference, her two sisters insist, between one who moves on . . . and one who keeps moving.

Cam's full-throttle life skids to a stop when her father buys a remote island off the coast of Maine. Paul Grayson has a dream to breathe new life into the island--a dream that includes reuniting his estranged daughters. Certain Dad has lost his mind, the three sisters rush to the island. To Cam's surprise, the slow pace of island life appeals to her, along with the locals--and one in particular. Seth Walker, the scruffy island schoolteacher harbors more than a few surprises.

This book is different than a lot of books I've read.  It's mainly about Cam and Seth and how they connect.  Cam doesn't want to stop in any place too long.  The only problem is that she is starting to enjoy the slow life on the island her father purchased.  Seth is there to help pay off his college loans.  But the island draws him in as well.  There is also a very big surprise in the book that throws a monkey wrench in things.

I recommend this book for those who like an easy read.

I was given this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  I was not compensated in any way.