The Paris Diversion

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I read the first book in this series by Chris Pavone, The Expats, several years ago so was excited to receive this review copy from NetGalley.
It is about Kate, a mother and CIA agent living in Paris with her feckless husband Dexter.
Within the space of a few hours a number of terrorists set some bombs and a suicide bomber arrives  at key sights in Paris including the Louvre. Kate races around trying to find out more about what is going on.
Unfortunately this book did not really do it for me. I ploughed on to about 40% hoping that it would get better. The premise of the story was good but I just did not find it a compelling read. There were chapters told from different viewpoints and I found this very confusing. Everything seemed to be steeped in mystery but I really felt so little for the characters that I didn’t care what happened.
Maybe this book would have got better had I preserved but I just didn’t have the enthusiasm.
Sadly only two stars from me.
I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley.

While I did read the first in this series, The Expats, I remember almost nothing about it. This instalment makes many references to that novel, and, although most of its plot is gradually retold as explanation for the plot of this one, it was frustrating waiting for it to be fully explained. I found this very readable, although Kate as off the books US operative is not remotely believable. The plot did come together well by the end, but there were many short chapters from different perspectives and it was hard at times to remember who every one was - I had completely lost track of the poor man dragged into things in Hong Kong when he briefly reappeared. The strongest chapters for me were the ones featuring Hunter and Colette.

Overall it seemed a terribly complicated way to get revenge, although I suppose 25 million Euros is a lot of money. I don't see why Kate is so loyal to Dexter, but maybe things will have changed in the next in the series.