Aladdin: Far From Agrabah

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Apr 2019

This was a sweet little story about one of my favourite Disney films. Although it was not a strictly necessary novel and did drag a little in the middle (perhaps if it were a little shorter it would have flowed a bit better) I enjoyed getting to know Jasmine more and I appreciated that she got a little more character development than she did in the film. I was happy that my library decided to order a copy because I think our customers will enjoy it.
I absolutely loved Aladdin as a kid, so I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. I really felt like I was watching extras for the '90s animated movie, so that was great. I also really appreciated how much Jasmine's character is fleshed out in the book. Overall it's a good book and I can see myself recommending it to a wide range of patrons.
I like how Saeed portrays Middle Eastern culture more accurately than the original cartoon version did.   There are hints at more depth in the characters as well, but sometimes I found them both incredibly annoying.  Too much fluff for my tastes.  This will be a hit with middle grade readers who like the new movie (and probably the old one as well), so definitely recommended for schools.
Another excellent story from Aisha Saeed. Many students will enjoy this one! I will definitely recommend it.
Growing up, I loved Aladdin, so when I saw Aisha Saeed had written an Aladdin story, I knew I had to read it. I was not disappointed. I did not want a rehash of the movies I knew by heart. This story was new and engaging and fun. I really enjoyed the adventure and learning more about Jasmine and Aladdin and getting to see their inner thoughts. I would recommend to fantasy lovers and those who love a happy story.

I received this copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Aisha Saeed’s Aladdin: Far from Agrabah was a cute take on the original story but centered on Aladdin and Jasmine’s magic carpet date. What I appreciated was that Jasmine’s character was more developed. This book is definitely for middle/junior high school students who love fantasy, especially Aladdin.

Thank you NetGalley and Disney Press for this eARC. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
A fun middle grade story, definitely geared toward someone already familiar with Disney's Aladdin, as it takes place during the magic carpet ride. Fast paced with plenty of action, brings back good memories!
Nope! This book was terrible. I normally don't say that about books, I normally try to find something I enjoyed about a book, but I sadly can't for this one. I didn't enjoy this one at all and had to force myself to finish it.
An exciting tale of the adventure Prince Ali and Princess Jasmine had on their magic carpet ride. "A whole new world" is given new meaning when they visit Ali's fictitious kingdom Ababwa, a fantastical place created by Genie. Lovers of Aladdin will enjoy this new twist on the old tale.
Fans of the movie will love this book adaptation of Aladdin. Adventurous, fun, and heart-warming, this title will engage and entertain readers. Strongly recommended for reluctant readers who have seen the movie as they will have the schema to more easily understand the story.
Another great Disney title! I love Aladdin so naturally I was very into this. The story was engaging and complex enough for more adventurous middle grade readers, but still had a lot of what makes Aladdin great with humor and romance. Jasmine feels much more fleshed out in this book and I love that she is strong, wants to marry for love, and wants to do what is best for her kingdom.
Refreshing & Nostalgic at the same time.

Such a good take on a Disney classic. You get a slight taste of the original movie; while also getting a completely brand new story.
This was cute, but it wasn't Earth shattering. It asks and answers the simple question "when Aladdin and Jasmine are flying around on the carpet, what would happen if she asked to visit Ababwa, Aladdin's fictional kingdom?" That's pretty much it. There are some weird interstitial chapters that I honestly skipped half of, and a random villain introduced that was your standard Disney fare, but it was pretty meh overall.
3.5 stars. I love Aisha Saeed, and I think she did a great job of making this book accessible for middle-grade readers while bringing more depth to the characters (Jasmine in particular). I don't think this book will translate as well to adults, as Saeed very much caters to her target audience, but I think it's a fun read for those who have seen the 1992 film.
There is a new Aladdin movie coming out, but this is not a novelization of that, but rather a story within that story. This is the story of the second wish, the magic carpet ride. It tells the story of what happens when Aladdin, posing as Prince Ali, takes Jasmine to on a ride, including a visit to his fictional kingdom. I requested this from NetGalley because we have so many young readers who wanted more of Aisha Saeed's work after reading Amal Unbound for Global Read Aloud in the fall. Once again, Saeed has written a strong female character in making Jasmine a young lady who is determined to lead her people and is not impressed with male authority figures who would lessen her role. While I did not really get into some of the plot, the parts in which she asserts herself and where Prince Ali/Aladdin shows his true colours (in a good way) have lots of redeeming value and there are some great messages here.
I have and will always be a Disney fan. I love all of these new adaptations of the classic story. I loved seeing all of the characters stories expanded on more from the movie. This is a great in between to tide you over until the live action movie comes out. I wanted to jump on the magic carpet right alongside Aladdin and Jasmine!
Probably 3.5 starts. I enjoyed this and I think many fans of Aladdin will as well. It gives more detail to the story of the movie as well as delves more into the characters back stories which I think only ads to enrich the story.

This would be a great read for kids around middle school age. It wears a bit for an adult but it doesn't take away too much from the story - I was just very aware that it was written for kids and not adults when reading. So half a point for that - which is possibly unfair considering I'm not actually the target age but it impacted how I reacted to it.

I docked a point because there are a few scenes from the film that I think would have improved this read but for some reason were taken out (or simply not written.) It lead me to wonder if the author just figured that we all had seen the movie and therefor did not have to elaborate on certain things but I felt it detracted from the richness of the story.

That said it's a fun read and if you're a big Aladdin fan you will most likely love it!

Thanks to NetGalley for the advance copy to review. :)

Thanks to Netgalley and Disney Book Group for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

If you're familiar with the 1992 animated Disney film, you'll fall into this book fast. The story picks up after Aladdin and Genie have met, after Aladdin and Jasmine meet at the market, and once Aladdin has decided to dress up as Prince Ali of Ababwa. In fact, we're about to get on that magic carpet and venture into " a whole new world." Genie is able to think fast and create his fictional prince, a fictional kingdom in no time at all.

This book was a pleasant surprise because I really didn't find myself with a whole lot of expectations. I loved that Jasmine becomes this fuller character who wants to a good leader in her own kingdom. I enjoyed the tales that pepper this novel. Most importantly, I have a real craving to rewatch the film.
Aladdin: Far From Agrabah is perfect for fans Disney's Aladdin. Aisha Saeed creatively reinvents the Disney classic we grew to love as well as retelling the original story of "Aladdin and the Magic Lamp" from The Book of One Thousand and One Nights. In Saeed's retelling of Aladdin, Saeed gives insight and a better understanding of the song "A Whole New World" beyond the magic carpet ride. There is more to Aladdin besides the wonderful music Disney can provide was with.

The novel starts with Jasmine scanning the hall during the Harvest Festival. She had just met Aladdin a few days prior. Aladdin: Far From Agrabah is an excellent retelling that not only touches upon some of the elements people love about Disney's Aladdin, but it creates a new parallel world where readers can explore the true spirit of how Aladdin and Jasmine fall for each other. Saeed's version of Aladdin captures the heart and readers learn more about the characters' backstories and personalities. Exploring Ababwa and seeing Genie's capabilities bring a smile to my face.

Aladdin is able to dazzle and wow Jasmine when he takes her to Ababwa at her insisting. Fictionalized Ababwa is an extension of Aladdin. It contains his memories of people and a history of himself. Yet, it also includes things that Jasmine would appreciate. Aladdin and Jasmine begin to bond over the memories of their lost parents. Aladdin invites Jasmine to help with an open advisory council meeting where the common people will ask Aladdin questions and for advice. Aladdin lets Jasmine be part of the meeting and treats her like an equal to listen and to dole out advice. The cartography shop is the icing on the cake for Jasmine. Aladdin is able to share desserts with Jasmine at a version of his favorite bakery. An embodiment of a younger Aladdin appears which Jasmine sympathizes with but Aladdin cannot let her know that it is him.

The curveball with the real so-called villain in the made-up Ababwa is perfect. It shows that even in an ideal world, it cannot exist without some flaws. Somehow a mysterious person steals the magical carpet which puts Aladdin in a difficult situation. I am sorry for readers who are hoping that Jafar pops up in this retelling because he is not the villain in this storyline.

The novel is told in dual POVs. Aisha Saeed delivers the thoughts, desires and emotions of both Aladdin and Jasmine. However, Aladdin knows that he cannot give everything Jasmine wants because his Ababwa is a kingdom of lies. This is a novel spanning a very short period of time. Aladdin: Far From Agrabah covers the time span when Prince Ali visits Princess Jasmine at the palace of Agrabah until the next day after the magic carpet ride. I highly recommend this novel for anyone who loves Aladdin. Enjoy the magical ride!
This is a retelling of Disney's Aladdin. It goes into more details about the story that they couldn't get into in the movie version. This great for Aladdin fans.