Cover Image: Ever Alice

Ever Alice

Alice returns from her adventure in Wonderland and is so animated about an experience that seems far-fetched to her parents, that she assumed to be 'mad'. They ship her off to an insane asylum and as an attempt at escapism, she returns to Wonderland.

I enjoyed the experience of visiting Wonderland again but the story of this meandered just a bit for me. I loved the concept and the premise, but it lacked the same whimsical, magical feeling of the original. But of course my expectations were awfully high!
Did not finish. I appreciated the opportunity to read this book but it no longer held interest for me.
Well not too much to say here besides the fact I didn't enjoy reading this one. I am always down for a fresh take on a retelling of a classic fairy tale, but Ramsay didn't do a good job of developing Alice or the Queen of Hearts. The flow of the book was not very good and I thought the setting of Wonderland could have been done up a lot more than it was. The ending also was a head scratcher to me.
I have always been a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland, so I approached Ever Alice with a little trepidation.

The storyline, I really enjoyed. There's quite a bit of courtly intrigue in there, with different plots and schemes and rebellions going on around the Red Queen. Alice gets caught up in it and has to figure out her place in it all, who she can trust, who she can't and how far she's willing to go to save Wonderland.

The elements in the asylums I also enjoyed. They were suitably dark and creepy and got genuinely worrying at times, as Alice was locked away and then sent for special treatment. The "Alice in an asylum" thing has been done before, but H J Ramsay did it well here.

What I really didn't like was the style of the storytelling. It was clearly aiming at a Carrollian nonsense, with people saying contrary things (news that had to be delivered quickly was "unimportant") and eating and drinking a frankly bizarre collection of foods. Characters from the two Alice books had been reimagined in differently courtly roles and beyond court, as the Walrus has somehow become Pope. There's unrest between the four card kingdoms, and some kind of religious war occurring too.

Honestly, I just felt it was a bit much. When Carroll introduced nonsense, there was often a reason given for it, a grounding in literature or language or philosophy (such as when Humpty Dumpty explains to Alice that words should mean what he wants them to mean), whereas in Ever Alice it was just a given that everything would be nonsensical. It felt like it was aiming for whimsical and just ended up being bizarre.
A beautifully written book. Really enjoyed reading this. Thanks to publishers and NetGalley for the opportunity to read
I loved reading Ever Alice.

Well-written with wonderfully crafted characters. Funny and quirky, this is a book I will enjoy reading over and over again.

I had to include the synopsis:
Alice’s stories of Wonderland did more than raise a few eyebrows—it landed her in an asylum. Now at 15 years of age, she’s willing to do anything to leave, which includes agreeing to an experimental procedure. When Alice decides at the last minute not to go through with it, she escapes with the White Rabbit to Wonderland and trades one madhouse for another: the court of the Queen of Hearts. Only this time, she is under orders to take out the Queen. When love, scandal, and intrigue begin to muddle her mission, Alice finds herself on the wrong side of the chopping block.
I love a good retelling and found this book fairly fun! Kind of reminded me of the once upon a time in wonderland show where it showed what life was like for Alice after she came back and was told she was mad. I thought it was a fun twist on a classic!
I think I liked the idea more than the execution. That's not to say this isn't a great read and what seems a very logical take on the Alice story. It's well written and could make a great mini series
I really liked that the book was told from both Alice and the Queen of Hearts’ perspective. Having the queen’s point of view was very enlightening. It gave her character more complexity and dimension.

I found that the style and tone of the book was a good continuation of the original. Obviously no one can compare to Lewis Carroll, but the author did a wonderful job in keeping with the spirit of the original while offering her own unique twist.
DNF at 5%

Ever Alice made my head hurt. The language was confusing, and the content didn't always make sense. I know that Wonderland is a magical place, and not everything is supposed to be logical, but readers still need some backstory and context to understand what's going on. Rosalind (I believe that's the queen's name) is bananas, and I think she's supposed to be, but her perspective only made things more difficult to follow. The phrasing and wording were weird, which also made the story a challenge to read. “'Only the most unimportant news,' he said with his tongue sticking out of his mouth." After awhile I stopped reading, because I didn't want to force myself to stick with something I couldn't get into.

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on July 31, 2019.
Thank you so so much to H.J. Ramsay and to Red Rogue Press for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I wish my honesty brought happier notes but I am sorry to say, I didn't care for this book. I was the very last thing I should be while reading a story about Wonderland: bored.
I couldn't connect with any of the characters and I couldn't really connect with the story. I didn't care for the way the classic characters were portrayed in this one and it all just sort of fell flat for me. Nothing really seemed wonderous or out of the ordinary as I hoped it would when first reading the synopsis.
H.J. Ramsay's Ever Alice almost feels like a sequel to Alice in Wonderland. She comes back from her first adventure and her parents are quite worried about her. Now what is next? Follow along with Alice in this unique turn of events.

Thank you to NetGalley, Red Rogue Press, and author H.J. Ramsay for this ARC!
Unfortunately, this book was not for me. I usually really enjoy Alice in Wonderland retellings, but I had to DNF this book, SO, I cannot give it a proper rating. I didn't connect with the characters and the storyline wasn't gripping enough when I tried to pick it up. I will purchase a physical copy of the book and hopefully give this story another chance in the future when I'm in the mood for a retelling.
I am a HUGE alice in wonderland fan. I am also a huge sci-fi fan so I knew I had to check this book out. Sadly, I didn't love the story as much as I was hoping even thought the book was still decent, it wasn't what I was hoping for.
Thank you to NetGalley and Red Rogue Press for this E-copy.
What I liked about this book that we get perspective of both the villain and the heroine. I really love Alice in Wonderland so this was delightful.
This is not a genre that I would have typically grabbed and I'd love to be able to say that this changed my outlook, but it did not. Though I enjoy the story, it just wasn't something that hooked me.
This was such a fun read and I love retellings and this again proves that fact. The book itself brought me all the way back to my childhood and I felt I relived the adventures and laughs that the original gave me.
The protagonist was lacking on her own behalf. I did like the overall quirkiness of the book but did not enjoy some elements included within.
I adore a good Alice in wonderland retelling and I think most people would! I was very eager to read and I am so grateful.
We all love Alice. Her adventure into Wonderland, however, is not over yet. This perfect retelling and addition to Alice in Wonderland. There was so much drama in this book and I ate it up. We get duel perspective from Alice and The Queen of Hearts(Constance), and Alice is on a mission. This was such a great adventure. It was a good wholesome book that I will be sharing with my students for years to come.