Cover Image: Traitor's Codex

Traitor's Codex

This is a wonderful brew of genres—murder mystery and irreverent religious thriller—that is sure to titillate readers in search of A captivating , intelligent theological tale deftly composed
 And well researched that has both literary action and philosophical stimulation.”
A good entry into the Crispin guest mystery series. I found the mystery interesting and the characters well written can t wait for the next one
What a enjoyable character, this Crispin Guest! This was the first book I read in this series, but I had no trouble at all to get to know Crispin and his extended 'family'.
Sometimes it is hard for a modern human being to realize how utterly important written texts were in a time when only a very small part of the population could read and write.
Did Judas really write the book Crispin so unexpectedly receives? What are the consequences? Crispin has to use all his wits to try and take the right decisions.
A nice read with entertaining characters and good atmospheric details.

Thanks to NetGally for this digital copy.
Crispin Guest is a conflicted man.  Born into the noble class, but branded a traitor and forced to work for his living as a tracker, a detective of sorts.  The story flows smoothly.
This is a very enjoyable fast paced book.  Although it can be read as a stand alone, I wish I had read the previous 6 books. Crispin Guest had been a respected knight in the service of John of Gaunt but fell from grace for taking part in a treasonous plot to overthrow Richard II.  In this book, he is impoverished, but surviving by helping solve crimes.  He is unexpectedly given an old book written in an unknown cipher.  As he asks scholars for help, they are each murdered.

If historical murder mysteries, particularly those set in the 14th century are your genre, start at the beginning and enjoy them all in order; you won't be disappointed.
Really enjoyed this book, was interesting to read a mystery set in the 14th century.

I didn't realise until after I had finished the book that there were 10 in the series, but although there were references to previous books, it didn't hinder the story at all.

The main protagonist, Crispin Guest, is given a book which after investigating he discovers is a missing Gospel, which the Catholic Church needs to have eradicated.

A fascinating read and recommended
When I started reading Traitor's Codex by Jeri Westerson I had no idea this was a series and that this book is not the first one. But despite the many references to prevoius books I found myself enjoying the story. And now I will have to read the others to find out what happened to Crispin Guest to land him there.

I don't usually read historical fictions but the book's description seemed interesting. I love stories which centers on books.

I received a copy of this book from Severn House Publishers throug Netgalley. All opinions are my own.
I kept waiting for the story to build in suspense and to have the Judas Gospel explained in depth. Nada. Didn't happen. I was terribly disappointed to have read to the very end.. and it was only in the author's notes that I actually got some of what I was waiting to read about within the story.
Another outing for Crispin Guest, The Tracker of London. In this adventure, Crispin is given a dangerous codex which threatens the dogma of the Church.

As usual, the depiction of the characters makes them believable, three-dimensional individuals. As Crispin has grown more accepting of his fall from grace, his character has evolved and his life has developed in positive ways. In Traitor's Codex, Crispin once again must confront Richard II with more understanding on the parts of both men.

Westerson's research is wide-ranging and thorough, weaving both real personages and fictional characters skillfully through a series of mysteries in which Crispin is engaged to solve various crimes.

Dame Julian of Norwich, the famous medieval anchorite and one of my favorite historical figures--"all shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well"--makes an appearance in the current mystery. Other historical figures who often appear include John of Gaunt and Chaucer--two more favorite historical characters.

Each book in this series, designated as Medieval Noir, presents an intriguing mystery with fascinating historical elements, and I have enjoyed them all.

Read in January; blog review scheduled for May 22.

NetGalley/Severn House
Historical Mystery/Medieval Noir. June 1, 2019. Print length: 224 pages.
A very quick book! It was an interesting story, it kept my interest.  It wasn’t quite what I was expecting tho.
Murder in late 14th century London and environs. A strong story of political and religious intrigue and strife. Crispin Guest, the 'tracker' and a medieval detective of sorts, is given an old book which he determines is a missing Gospel. and one which 'needs' to be destroyed by the Catholic Church - the religion of the time. Lollards are quietly everywhere, people who challenge the Church's dominance and essentially start the move towards forming the Church of England. His journey of finding what the gospel says is followed by murder and he is sucked back into the politics of King Richard II and his court, and from which he was clearly banished some time ago. The Queen dies and the tracker has to content with determining whether a natural death or by poison too. He receives a visit from the anchoress Julian of Norwich which feels a little odd as Norwich is a long way from London and anchoresses typically spent their whole lives in small cells, some purportedly being bricked up in them, at their request! He is abducted and beaten up by Bishop Becke who is very clear that the book should be burned and, equally clearly, they have "a past". He now lives with Jack and his family and that relationship works well too - they also obviously have a history, but a good one this time. I think, to get the best from this book, it would be as well to have read others in the series. Whilst there is some backstory, there are gaps which detract from this book. Having said that it is a good read and more back story would probably add too much complexity to the multiple threads, and even stories, in this one. The characters feel real and the context is definitely excellent. I shall happily go and look for the other books with these characters.

My thanks to NetGalley and Severn House Publishers for an advance copy in return for my honest review.
As with all the previous books in the Crispin Guest series, this one didn't fail to deliver. Tons of good action, more growth for each character, and the Voynich Manuscript! Kryptonite to medievalists like me. YASSS.
Crispin Guest, finder and tracker extraordinaire, is juggling multiple cases in this medieval mystery. When a stranger gives him a package in his favorite pub Crispin is puzzled, especially when the stranger mutters a cryptic “You will know what to do with it” and then leaves. Inside is a book written in a language Crispin does not recognize. He consults three men and the book, written on parchment, proves to be an unknown gospel. Within a day the three men are murdered and Crispin is honor bound to discover their killer.

Meanwhile Queen Ann has died and the Duke of Lancaster, Crispin’s old mentor before he was disgraced and dismissed from court, hires him to find out if the queen was murdered. If that was not enough, someone is running around London pretending to be Crispin himself. Oh, and Bishop Becke, an old enemy from up north, plans to beat Crispin to a bloody pulp if the book is not handed to him immediately. Plus, little Christopher Walcote keeps popping up and a crazy (psychic?) beggar hounds the tracker’s steps exhorting him to “answer to the dead.” And Crispin is visited by a genuine saint!

Everything happens in less than a week! No wonder Crispin is feeling his age.

If the murder mystery is a little muddled. the rest of the novel is a great deal of fun. It is nice to catch up with Crispin’s self-made family. Jack has two children and another on the way. Crispin’s encounters with the people he knew at court is a window into his previous privileged life. And London street life is always fascinating.
Although this is book 7 in a series, this was the first one I picked up and could not put down!!! While it was clear some history was referenced to previous titles, it didn't hinder my ability to enjoy this book and follow Crispen Guest as he dealt with a con-artist double, murder, threats to his life, and a mysterious tome that is the Gospel of Judas.  Highly recommend!!
I enjoyed the read, but I won't lie when I say I was expecting a lot. The main plot of the story involves the existence of the Gospel of Judas, something that I learned about in a college history class in 2013. The story starts off by delivering on that expectation with murders shooting out left and right since Crispin Guest comes in contact with the book. The sub plots going on also interest me as well, but by the time the book is concluded I feel a bit let down with the story. Everything ended very anticlimactic to me, especially with the urgency that some antagonists shows in their desire to obtain the Gospel of Judas. Overall, though not a bad book, just wasn't what I had expected.
I have been a fan of the Crispin Guest series since the first book, Veil of Lies, and the latest entry, Traitor’s  codex, doesnt disappoint.  Jeri just keeps getting better:  her characters are well developed, her plot lines are well thought out and keep you guessing, and the historical details are tremendously interesting.  The main characters, Crispin and Jack aren’t stagnant, but have grown throughout the series.  In Traitor’s Codex, I loved seeing Crispin more at peace, and watching the changes in his relationship with Jack, as Jack has become a man with children of his own.  The poignant time that Crispin spent with his old mentor, John of Gaunt was wonderful, as was his evolving relationship with Christopher  Walcote.  Crispin just can’t escape the holy relics that somehow fall into his hands, and this case involves a doozy of a relic and the mystery behind it.  If you follow this series, you will love Traitor’s Codex.  If you like historical fiction and haven’t discovered Crispin Guest - jump on board.  You’ll love the ride.
This was my first time reading anything by this author, so I was not familiar with the series, but it wasn't too hard to pick up. Set in the reign of Richard II this seemed well researched with some cameos from some historical figures! It was the kind of book you end up looking for additional historical information about, and the end note helpfully explains where the author diverged from history. I found the characters well written and I would be happy to read more about Crispin and Jack's adventures. Instead of one mystery, there are several cleverly interwoven including the possible murder of the Queen and a mysterious document which could be a lost gospel. If you are a fan of the Shardlake series, I think you would probably enjoy reading this too.
Intriguing and complex mystery

It’s 1394 and Richard II sits uneasily on the throne. Disgraced knight turned tracker—what today would be termed a detective—Crispin Guest is handed an ancient book or codex by a stranger and told that he’ll know what to do with it.

His efforts to get it translated lead to both success and tragedy, as someone appears to be trailing him in an attempt to destroy the mysterious document. No wonder, since Crispin discovers it could pose a threat to orthodox church doctrine.

Westerson creates a believable world combining real and fictional characters. At its center, Crispin stands out as a fascinating character.

This is the eleventh book in the Crispin Guest Medieval Noir series, so there’s a fair amount of back story to absorb. However, the result is an emotionally satisfying read that should appeal to fans of historical mysteries.

Note: I received an Advance Reading Copy of this book.
What a great book!  I was attracted to the book by the description, but not sure I should start reading a series at book 11!  Even though I'd not read any other books in the series, the author did an excellent job providing the reader with enough background information that it was very easy to pick up what the characters had experienced in prior books.  The combination of a good mystery with actual historical characters and events, and thought-provoking context makes this book a winner!

I was hooked from the start and read the book in one setting.  This book has many interwoven story lines -- from a mysterious delivery of the codex, to impostors, to a queen having passed away to a visit from a holy woman.  The reader is present with the main characters as they interact with a not-so-nice bishop, the Duke of Lancaster, King Richard, and Julian of Norwich, to name a few!   I did not want this book to end and will now go back and read the first 10 while anxiously awaiting release of number 12!

I highly recommend this book!