Cover Image: Widows' Revenge

Widows' Revenge

Honestly, this book felt very "meh" to me, which is a bummer because I've really enjoyed some of La Plante's other books. But that might be because I did not read the first book in this series. I usually find that these kinds of mystery series are such that I can come in and out of and not necessarily read in order, but this might not be the case here, The writing is great, as always, but I just didn't care that much about the character or the plot. I didn't actively dislike it, I just wasn't all that engaged. Mistake to read this before the first one, clearly!
I thought this book was just ok. It wasn’t really for me. I didn’t read the first book so a lot of things were confusing.
*received for free for netgalley for honest review* I as stated got this from netgalley so I haven't read the first book form this series BUT I really loved that for once there was a I blurb about what happened in the last book bringing you up to speed! I really liked that, would like if more books did that rather than trying to sprinkle it into the story, then you end up reading a 20 book series that tells you the same weird story fifteen times lol

This book did have some twists I wasn't expecting but not sure if the ending was really a surprise, satisfying though lol The characters weren't bad but were a tad annoying at times for just being plain dumb but overall its a pretty good thriller.
This book is a folllow up to Widows but reading the first book is not necessary as the author supplies a brief synopsis of what happened in the first book. Dolly continues exacting revenge on her husband who staged his death. She has managed to amass a huge fortune aside from the money she and the other widows managed to steal in a heist that was to be her husband’s next job. Planning, deception, trust and betrayal play a large part in this fast-moving difficult to put down novel. I enjoyed it very much and look forward to reading more by this author. I received a free copy of this book and am voluntarily providing me review.
This is the second book of a trilogy. Dolly and her 3 friends decide to find Harry, Dolly's husband, before he finds them. Years before, Harry and his 2 friends had carried out a plan to rob a security van, but it had gone horribly wrong. Dolly had thought that her husband was dead, but then finds out that he is alive and planning yet another robbery. Dolly persuades her friends to outwit Harry and get to the money first before Harry finds them.
I really think the reader needs to read the first book before this one as it gives more insight and helps you get to know the characters.
Widow's Revenge is the sequel to La Plante's Widow.   I recommend each reader start with Widow or they would not follow along in this Sequel. There was a movie made that follows the first book.  This is a fast paced fun thriller in which the widows have now completed the heist that their husbands wanted to do. They are hiding in Rio and are now hunted. .When one husband returns from the dead will they be able to survive when he goes after the money ? I enjoyed Widow and this sequel for the fast paced writing and the fun capers that the widows have. The charcters are all different and add to the story.  The women are savvy , smart and brave as they traverse life now as criminals on the run.  I  recommend this book for your reading enjoyment. The plot is interesting to conclusion.
Widow's Revenge is the sequel to La Plante's Widows in which Dolly Rawlins takes up where her dead husband, Harry, left off after a heist goes horribly wrong. This story resumes where the first book left off and the ladies are laying low in Rio for the time being. Dolly goes back to London for some plastic surgery and Harry arrives in Rio looking to regain what is left of his money when he realizes that Dolly has cleaned him out and he plots his revenge.
This story has a lot of threads and characters to follow La Plante keeps the reader engaged with an escalating plot and interesting characters, not all likeable. It's an interesting reversal from the first book and the women are now the villains. I would not recommend reading this book as a standalone, you really need to read the first book to understand the characters and their relationships.
Thank you to NetGalley and the author and publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest opinion.
I didn’t realize this was a sequel so that may effect my review. It seemed like a lot going on with many different characters. None of them seemed to be likeable. But it was a twisty story and I didn’t anticipate the ending
Most of my experiences with Lynda La Plante have been through her police procedurals, both in book form and through episode television. I thoroughly enjoyed her Detective Anna Travis crime series and, like many people, I was a fan of the Prime Suspect TV series with Helen Mirren. But Widows's Revenge was different from La Plante's detective series--instead we get to watch the crime unfold through the eyes of the perpetrators.

Widows' Revenge is the second novel in La Plante's Dolly Rawlins trilogy. The trilogy was originally written as a series of novel tie-ins to the British TV miniseries that La Plante wrote and produced in the early eighties. She has now revised and expanded the books for modern readers. The results remind me of Martina Cole's East End gangster novels, but the writing is tighter and the plots move more quickly. It's clear that La Plante's background is in television, because the pacing moves at the same rapid pace as a television show.

This book picks up where its predecessor, Widows, left off, after Dolly Rawlins and her widowed friends have pulled off a big heist that was inspired by her "dead" husband. Dolly has just learned that her husband is not dead after all, and now he is coming after her. This plot becomes a cat-and-mouse chase that leaves a trail of bodies in its wake.

I enjoyed the brisk pace of the book. There were a lot of characters to keep up with, but if you can keep it all straight, you'll find that this book serves up several hours of old-fashioned escapism. I didn't enjoy it as much as the Anna Travis novels, but I look forward to reading the final book in the trilogy.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Widows' Revenge is the sequel to Widows and it definitely doesn't disappoint! It picks up right where Widows left off with the Widows pulling off the heist their husbands died trying to accomplish. Now they are in Rio trying to decide how to keep the money.
Dolly's husband, Harry, who was presumed dead is actually alive and he's wanting what Dolly and these women have taken from him. Harry is willing to do whatever it takes to get the money! For Harry, it is not just about the money, it is personal, and he wants revenge. The four women have all the odds stacked against them!
I could not get enough! Crimes, violence, heartbreak, and death will keep you up. Once you think the rollercoaster is about to stop, BAM, she serves you up with a new twist! Lynda La Plante is definitely the Queen of Crime Drama!
The cast of characters from Lynda LaPlante's first book are back to keep their fan club happy.  After following them through their many actions and reactions in her first book, you'd expect them to get a little time off in this one.  You'd be wrong.  The crew has heard some rumors that maybe not all of their husbands died in the last book.  They must set a trap to find out and do what it takes to keep their hard earned money.  I loved the first book.  I loved this book.  When is the next one and what will they be up to next?
Sequel to The Widows

Not having read The Widows or seen the motion picture based on it, I had not previously met these characters. Dolly, Linda, Bella and  Shirley had pulled off a heist that their husbands had previously failed, at the cost of their lives. Dolly, the wife of the male ringleader Harry Rawlins, as his survivor has transferred all of his assets, many millions, into accounts known only to her. Now she and the other widows are in Rio de Janeiro, hiding from the police until the smoke blows over.

Unbeknownst to these ladies, the wily Harry Hawkins was not burned like the other men in the first heist. Once he learns that Dolly has "plundered his assets" from his perspective *(even though she believed him dead), Harry sets out to exact revenge and recover his wealth. He travels to Rio to access money he has stowed there but Dolly was there before him. While he is there one of the widows glimpses him. They are all shocked to learn that he lives.

Dolly makes arrangements for them to return to London. There they stumble upon info that Harry is planning another heist. Dolly sets out to thwart him and turn him into the police. What ensues becomes a tragedy of errors.

This novel is entertaining and worth a read.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an Advance Review Copy.
A great novel, beautiful depiction of the characters with some tense moments thrown into the mix. Will definitely pick more books by this talented author.
I really loved this book!! It had so many twists and turns. It kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next!! This was my first book by this Author, and it won’t be the last!! Quick read!! Highly recommended!! You won’t be disappointed!!
I really enjoyed this sequel to Widows by Lynda LaPlante.  I have previously read the first book and watched the tv series which I also enjoyed.
     No one is calling this serious literature but what the book does is give you lots of entertainment and that’s always nice.
     I am not going to divulge the ending but I was a tad disappointed with it but then not everything has a happy ending
     Thanks to the author and NetGalley for letting me read this advance copy in exchange for my unbiased review.
I was contacted by the publisher the other day to read this sequel to Widow's. I had no idea what to expect not having read the previous book nor having seen the major motion picture.
I had to take a DNF about 80% through this one as I just couldn't get into the grove of it.
The words seemed to just flow into one another without a breather and the plot seemed a tad bit rushed.
I'm in the minority with this opinion but this for me was not a good fit.
Thank you to Lynda La Plante, the publisher, Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review
Window's Revenge is the sequel to Widows which ended up a motion picture. This sequel is a excellent follow up and is entertaining. Well written and great characters.
I enjoyed reading this book. It had a good story to it. I read book 1 of this series and it was good too. I liked the variety of characters in it.
Widow’s Revenge by author Lynda La Plante is another great book that will not disappoint!
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.